OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2130, 2131, 2132 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

D'Angelo Russell is also I believe the second youngest player in NBA history to have 40 points and 6 assists with only one turnover.

The other guy? LeBron James.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
D'Angelo Russell is also I believe the second youngest player in NBA history to have 40 points and 6 assists with only one turnover.

That can only mean one thing...

D'Angelo's gonna go bald
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
MJST wrote:

D'Angelo's gonna go bald

Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Mdstgreen wrote:
Username wrote:
I have a hard time believing Magic is divulging his secrets for the future of the Lakers over a treadmill run with Byron at LA Fitness.

And I even have a harder time believing Magic is going to get rid of a player just because he didn't get along with Byron Scott.

Magic likes to talk about everything openly. Subtlety is not his forte.

He's good at working a room, speaking in platitudes about saying things people generally want to hear.

There's no indication that would lead to, "Hey Byron, we're gonna probably trade Russell, go ahead and take a dump on him on your ESPN TV show that you make regular appearances on."

Right, especially since Byron "taking a dump on him" on TV would lower his trade value anyways, so this bizarre theory is just unnecessary speculation.

Gotta love it when people just make stuff up and speculate about it just so they can criticize said person(s) in advance.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:

I don't like Byron but I don't really have an issue with what he said. He praised D'Angelo's performance last night, and said that it does not mean he is the Laker's future. Does anybody disagree with that? One game does not mean he is the future of the team, he still has a lot to improve on before being handed the torch. Nobody on this roster has earned that mantle yet.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:
I don't like Byron but I don't really have an issue with what he said. He praised D'Angelo's performance last night, and said that it does not mean he is the Laker's future. Does anybody disagree with that? One game does not mean he is the future of the team, he still has a lot to improve on before being handed the torch. Nobody on this roster has earned that mantle yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the question posed to Byron was if DLo's future was secured with the team, not if he WAS the future of the team. And if that's the case, I don't see why DLo's future wouldn't be secure after what he's proven on the court not just last night, but the last two years. And to me, "secure" doesn't mean we won't trade you if a great offer comes our way. Secure means we won't ACTIVELY look to trade you, and I think DLo damn well better have his future secured with this team, so Byron (and if Magic has anything to do with it, him too) can go (bleep) himself.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
MJST wrote:

D'Angelo's gonna go bald

Good maybe he'll stop caring so much about his hair then
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
MJST wrote:

D'Angelo's gonna go bald

KIROE doing backflips
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject:

On the PG/SG debate, I watched Luke's after practice interview, and he said that ideally he'd like interchangeability in the starting lineup, with both guys able to play point and both guys able to play SG... But for right now, he specifically wants to evaluate what JC does as a more traditional point (which kinda broke down last night when DLO went supernova), and he wants to evaluate DLO as an off guard. But how he's running things right now, with more traditional roles as the template, isn't his ideal for coaching the team in the long run.

So, no one really wants to pidgeon hole DLO strictly in either role. And he was basically the same guy last night. Also bodes well for how Lonzo/DLO could work if that's how the draft plays out. Too bad we're losing the pick
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/joeyaramirez/status/843863456428122112

Quote:
D’Angelo thrived with the ball in his hands, as 9 of his 14 baskets came unassisted, while adding six dimes himself.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Shaolin's Finest wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the question posed to Byron was if DLo's future was secured with the team, not if he WAS the future of the team. And if that's the case, I don't see why DLo's future wouldn't be secure after what he's proven on the court not just last night, but the last two years. And to me, "secure" doesn't mean we won't trade you if a great offer comes our way. Secure means we won't ACTIVELY look to trade you, and I think DLo damn well better have his future secured with this team, so Byron (and if Magic has anything to do with it, him too) can go (bleep) himself.

The kid rubs people the wrong way, and is the antithesis of what the Showtime guys (Magic, Worthy, Byron) feel that they stand for. The narrative around Russell actually reminds me of the narrative around Mike D'Antoni when he was here.
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject:

My Wish: DLO has couple more 40 pt games the rest of the season. Drops 50 the last game. Boosts his season avg to 16/5/3. Lonzo Ball goes on a tear and avgs 20/9/7 the entire tourney and wins the National Championship. Lakers get #1 and get Ball. Ingram gains 20lb in the offseason. Zubac cuts 20lbs of fat.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject:

krisobe wrote:
My Wish: DLO has couple more 40 pt games the rest of the season. Drops 50 the last game. Boosts his season avg to 16/5/3. Lonzo Ball goes on a tear and avgs 20/9/7 the entire tourney and wins the National Championship. Lakers get #1 and get Ball. Ingram gains 20lb in the offseason. Zubac cuts 20lbs of fat.

Step 9: Profit!
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
KBH wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Touches last night

D'Angelo Russell.....89
Jordan Clarkson......63

Passes last night

D'Angelo Russell.....59
Jordan Clarkson......41

He was running the exact same actions last night that he normally does, led both teams in touches, and led both teams in passes. But if calling him a SG is what you need to scratch the "I was right!" itch that's standing in the way of you recognizing that we have a talented kid who's worth keeping around, do what you gotta do.
22 shots....thats the difference...he averages 13.6

yup! stats and analytics don't tell the whole story, that's why I try not to always resort to them. I try to go by what I see in the game and DLO seemed a lot more comfortable being the shooting guard as they labeled him than the point, where he is put in a box. his approach. his mentality. his comfortability. his confidence was different from what I seen vs the cavs, which made him play better for that game. we all see things differently though - i'm looking forward to next game because like I said, 1 game is too small of a sample size to really assess.

lol He (incorrectly) used stats (shot attempts) to make a point and you're saying that stats and analytics don't tell the whole story. The difference in his shot attempts were up because he played 14 more minutes (about 50%) more than his season average. Anything else you're "seeing" regarding his comfort is you projecting.

He was taking 18.1 Shot Attempts in 32.9 minutes (19.8 attempts Per-36) as a starter post-All Star break. Last night he took 22 shots in 41 minutes (19.3 attempts per-36).

He actually shot the ball less per minute last night than he has been. The lengths people go...

Actually dlo played 10.5 minutes in the 4th quarter. He took 2 shots. So in 31 minutes he had taken 20 shots...which is more than 19 per 36...but all that you said proves your point...but there are more nuances involved.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Shaolin's Finest wrote:

He was asked "Does this save his job as being the future of the Lakers"

The wording was kind of weird, I may have interpreted the question wrong.

Tbh, I would be upset if someone like Magic or Rob came out and openly questioned his future with the team. But at this point, Byron is not employed by the Lakers, he's only an analyst. We can agree to disagree but I don't think anybody on this roster can say they have "job security" everybody is movable for the right piece. I'm very high on D'Angelo and Ingram but I don't view them as untouchable, at least not yet. The last thing I want is for them to think their position on the team is safe. I don't really have a problem with Byron's comments because he did offer D'Angelo praise for his performance, so it's not like he was just using the floor as an opportunity to trash him.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
People start complaining about Russell not starting and then he's magically put back into the starting lineup.

This can't be coincidental can it??

This is how I see the new front office. They make rash decisions based on popular opinion. A few weeks ago there was a clear vision for the team that anyone who was really paying attention could understand. Now, we're just kind of blowing in the wind. I guess the plan is to hope for a big name free agent to be available and trade away whatever young assets are needed to acquire them. Am I right?

I don't have a good feeling about what's going on at all.

SMH.....

1) The new FO has been intact for one day shy of a month; one day shy of two weeks if the count starts when Lowe's hire was officially announced. What "rash decisions based on popular opinion" have they made during this span?

2) "A few weeks ago there was a clear vision for the team that anyone who was really paying attention could understand."

Really? So the Jim/Mitch tandem was canned despite having a "clear vision" for the team? If there's one thing they lacked, it was their lack of a meaningful vision. That was so obvious that paying attention wasn't even necessary in order to notice it. And I say that as someone who was sad to see Mitch go and preferred that he'd be retained in some kind of advisory role due to Lowe's lack of experience on the other side of the negotiating table.

3) "Now, we're just kind of blowing in the wind. I guess the plan is to hope for a big name free agent to be available and trade away whatever young assets are needed to acquire them. Am I right?"

No, you aren't right. You're speculating. And your theory is humorously ironic since aftermath reports of the firings seem to indicate that that was exactly what Jim and Mitch were trying to do as a last ditch effort to save their jobs beyond this year, which explains the bizarre timing of their firings, mere days before the trade deadline.

Trying to make some kind of desperate, last minute trade for a superstar just to avoid the consequences of your own irresponsible, self-imposed deadline doesn't exactly scream, 'I know exactly how to excel at doing this job and have a clear vision for the future mapped out that's gonna catapult us out of the cellar.' Give me a break.

Last edited by Judah on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
People start complaining about Russell not starting and then he's magically put back into the starting lineup.

This is how I see the new front office. They make rash decisions based on popular opinion. A few weeks ago there was a clear vision for the team that anyone who was really paying attention could understand. Now, we're just kind of blowing in the wind. I guess the plan is to hope for a big name free agent to be available and trade away whatever young assets are needed to acquire them. Am I right?

SMH.....

1) The new FO has been intact for one day shy of a month; one day shy of two weeks if the count starts when Lowe's hire was officially announced. What "rash decisions based on popular opinion" have they made during this span?

2) "A few weeks ago there was a clear vision for the team that anyone who was really paying attention could understand."

Really? So the Jim/Mitch tandem was canned despite having a "clear vision" for the team? If there's one thing they lacked, it was their lack of a meaningful vision. That was so obvious that paying attention wasn't even necessary in order to notice it. And I say that as someone who was sad to see Mitch go and preferred that he'd be retained in some kind of advisory role due to Lowe's lack of experience on the other side of the negotiating table.

3) "Now, we're just kind of blowing in the wind. I guess the plan is to hope for a big name free agent to be available and trade away whatever young assets are needed to acquire them. Am I right?"

No, you aren't right. You're speculating. And your theory is humorously ironic since aftermath reports of the firings seem to indicate that that was exactly what Jim and Mitch were trying to do as a latch effort to save their jobs beyond this year, which explains the bizarre timing of their firings, mere days before the trade deadline.

Trying to make some kind of desperate, last minute trade for a superstar just to avoid the consequences of your own irresponsible, self-imposed deadline doesn't exactly scream, 'I know exactly how to excel at doing this job and have a clear vision for the future mapped out that's gonna catapult us out of the cellar.' Give me a break.

PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

SMH.....

No, you aren't right. You're speculating. And your theory is humorously ironic since aftermath reports of the firings seem to indicate that that was exactly what Jim and Mitch were trying to do as a latch effort to save their jobs beyond this year, which explains the bizarre timing of their firings, mere days before the trade deadline.

Wow, I bet you feel very impressed with yourself after this...well, whatever it is you think you have just done. Unfortunately, I'm not taking the bait and refuse to contaminate this forum with anymore toxic conversation than is already here (because I actually enjoy reading different opinions and learning from others).

Your opinion is different than mine and I will leave it at that.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
Shaolin's Finest wrote:

The kid rubs people the wrong way, and is the antithesis of what the Showtime guys (Magic, Worthy, Byron) feel that they stand for. The narrative around Russell actually reminds me of the narrative around Mike D'Antoni when he was here.

The funny thing was that right before he answered that question, he surprisingly said that DLo can really shoot the ball and could see him flourishing as a traditional 2-guard (paraphrasing), but that he also has PG skills with his ability to see the floor and selflessness. High (and shockingly accurate, for him) praise coming from Byron. Then he goes and (arguably) says the kid's future with the team ain't secure, so go figure

These old NBA'ers have so much difficulty giving praise to the new generation that it's ridiculous. They end up contradicting themselves and sounding silly in the process. But at least there were a lot of positives in what Byron had to say about DLo, which again, means more coming from a guy that wasn't really a big fan last year as his coach. If we're gonna hypothesize about Byron having Magic's ear, it could work the other way around, too. Maybe Magic's a fan and Byron is coming around? He just couldn't resist getting a dig in at the end, though.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
MJST wrote:

D'Angelo's gonna go bald

Afro Kobe was best Kobe tho.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject:

It's also possible Byron didn't read the question thru the microscope we are and heard it as "is DLO out of the doghouse after one good game?"

Either way, I do think DLO is playing for his job a bit. I hate to sound like the haters, but he needs more games like last night. Get the Staples fans on their feet, get some "DLO" chants going. Get that Chairman's Lounge postgame buzz. Something like that would have a big impact on Magic and a HUGE one on Jeanie.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
It's also possible Byron didn't read the question thru the microscope we are and heard it as "is DLO out of the doghouse after one good game?"

Either way, I do think DLO is playing for his job a bit. I hate to sound like the haters, but he needs more games like last night. Get the Staples fans on their feet, get some "DLO" chants going. Get that Chairman's Lounge postgame buzz. Something like that would have a big impact on Magic and a HUGE one on Jeanie.

For some reason, this made me think of Magic/Jeanie as Commodus/Joaquin Phoenix from Gladiator and DLo as Maximus/Russell Crowe.

So you can expect DLo to be looking at them in the crowd and screaming, "Are you not entertained?" after hitting a 3-pointer one of these days
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Hold up, what did Byron say?
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject:

I get back from work today and suddenly people are caring what Byron says?

Christ guys, the paranoia on some of y'all make a Cat in a bath look tame in comparison.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
The Logo wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
MJST wrote:

D'Angelo's gonna go bald

Afro Kobe was best Kobe tho.

I like fro number 8 too. The player from our second title run was the playoffs MVP, I don't remember another player doing what he did to Spurs in their homecourt.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2130, 2131, 2132 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next
Page 2131 of 2856
Jump to: