THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 269, 270, 271 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
https://extranewsfeed.com/tolerance-is-not-a-moral-precept-1af7007d6376#.51nztd948

[Tolerance] is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.

Sums it up perfectly.

Yup, this is why expecting gay people to tolerate homophobes is not the same as the other way around, to use a simple example.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
The modern GOP feels like the unrealistic, 1-dimensional antagonist from a fiction novel.
I mean, yes, we all saw how the party lost it's collective mind when our country dared to elect an N-word to be President 2 times in a row.
But even as we all watched the party gradually devolve into hate. It's still awe-inspiring, when you take the time to think about it now.

For example, Trump and Trumpcare. Trump believes American lives are less important than being right. If Americans have to die to prove the ACA wasn't a perfect healthcare plan, worth it!
He has said several times, he wants the current form of healthcare in our country to fail. He wants death and destruction to American people, so he can say "I told you so". That's some dark (bleep). It's like when the bad guy in a cheesy movie wants to destroy the world...even though he'd be stuck on a destroyed planet if he succeeds.
The truth is Trump can't fix healthcare in our country. He only knows how to divide people. He only knows how to destroy things (political enemies, media, public trust in the government). He doesn't know how to unite a majority and create something. And to a bigger extent the GOP is the same way.
If your motto is: government is broken, government doesn't work. Guess what the government will look like when you run things.
well said
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject:

In the for what little it's worth category, Alex Jones apologized for promoting Pizzagate
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
In the for what little it's worth category, Alex Jones apologized for promoting Pizzagate

In insincere fashion in which he accepted no personal responsibility.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
https://extranewsfeed.com/tolerance-is-not-a-moral-precept-1af7007d6376#.51nztd948

[Tolerance] is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.

Sums it up perfectly.

Yup, this is why expecting gay people to tolerate homophobes is not the same as the other way around, to use a simple example.

Simply perfect.

It's one of many reasons that the "It doesn't matter who started it" philosophy that AH tries to sell doesn't hold up. It does matter who started it, and more importantly it is why they started it that matters.

There's zero merit to the idea that if someone attacks another person who is presenting no threat and the person who is attacked defends themselves it is up to the one attacked to engage in some kind of mutually beneficial, peaceful resolution. Especially when it is clear that the attacker hasn't backed down on the stance that lead them to the attack in the first place.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Sums it up perfectly.

Simply perfect.

It's one of many reasons that the "It doesn't matter who started it" philosophy that AH tries to sell doesn't hold up. It does matter who started it, and more importantly it is why they started it that matters.

There's zero merit to the idea that if someone attacks another person who is presenting no threat and the person who is attacked defends themselves it is up to the one attacked to engage in some kind of mutually beneficial, peaceful resolution. Especially when it is clear that the attacker hasn't backed down on the stance that lead them to the attack in the first place.

Once again, laser-focused trench runs on the death star by DMR and 24. Personally, I've always found it completely ridiculous to expect anyone to find agreement with someone who steals their wallet, and then defiantly castigates them for fighting back to retrieve their drivers license after all their cash has been spent and all of their credit cards have been maxed out. And that's really what's being argued here ...

Woah woah woah, Democrats ... we're just trying to get an associate justice seated on the Supreme Court here. Let's do our jobs, OK ... ? Besides, the seat's been vacant for too long. Why are you guys so angry anyway?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
anyone with a brain knows you can't have a working system if you have both sides in revenge mode. the issue here is, are the dems in revenge mode? or are the dems in "dont agree with the nonsense: mode? There's a huge difference.

My use of the word "revenge" was shorthand for the larger point that I've made in a number of long posts. But to use that term for a moment, it is the Republicans who are in "revenge" mode at the moment. They are taking their revenge for the eight years of Obama now that they have control.

Anyway, I'm going to quit beating that poor horse. I've explained my point at length in other posts. If the shorthand term "revenge" bothers you, just read my longer explanations.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject:

So after taking revenge on Obama by blocking almost everything he tried to do for 8 years, the GOP is now also taking revenge for their 8 years of revenge because apparently Obama made them do it. So revenge when they are out of power, and revenge when they are in power. I'm sensing a pattern here.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
So after taking revenge on Obama by blocking almost everything he tried to do for 8 years, the GOP is now also taking revenge for their 8 years of revenge because apparently Obama made them do it. So revenge when they are out of power, and revenge when they are in power. I'm sensing a pattern here.

At 57 words, the most concise rebuttal I'll see all week ...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
anyone with a brain knows you can't have a working system if you have both sides in revenge mode. the issue here is, are the dems in revenge mode? or are the dems in "dont agree with the nonsense: mode? There's a huge difference.

My use of the word "revenge" was shorthand for the larger point that I've made in a number of long posts. But to use that term for a moment, it is the Republicans who are in "revenge" mode at the moment. They are taking their revenge for the eight years of Obama now that they have control.

Anyway, I'm going to quit beating that poor horse. I've explained my point at length in other posts. If the shorthand term "revenge" bothers you, just read my longer explanations.

Eh, the long-form explanations aren't any more insightful. Just the same nonsense with longer sentences and more paragraphs.

I'll save splash some time and sum them up. The GOP went on a radical offensive to burn and destroy the Left. Now it's somehow up the the Left to put out the fire and volunteer to rebuild from the damage while bending over to conservative power.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Concise, and more importantly 100% accurate.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

It's what you do when you can't actually govern... distract, rile up emotions.

"If you can't argue the law, argue the facts... if you can't argue the facts, slam your fist on the table as hard as you can."

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
the association wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Concise, and more importantly 100% accurate.

Yeah, CL comprehensively framed the hypocrisy ... Democrats must turn the other cheek, take the high road, look the other way, go-along-to-get-along, and play the "no worries" card whenever the tide turns and a Republican sits in the Oval Office (even a buffoon who can barely spell cat when you spot him the "c" and the "t").

But when the White House is occupied by a Democrat (in Barack Obama's case, a very competent one) ... the best that can be expected from the Republican party is "you lie!", complete gridlock in Congress, and a bunch of flag lapel pin lectures from Mitch McConnell and his wattle.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject:

This guy is my congressman. In all of his years in office, this is probably the first time he has ever merited a headline. He is a shining example of what is wrong with Congress. He recites the Official Party Rhetoric in newsletters to us from time to time, and he occasionally includes a poll question like "Do you think we should protect our borders?" or "Do you think that the government should tax the businesses that provide jobs?" It's a dead red district, so he gets routinely reelected. However, he has been phoning it in for over a decade. If the guy died in his office, I'm not sure that anyone would notice until the smell got bad. Yes, this is our congressional leadership.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-obamacare-poe-idUSKBN16X13K
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
This guy is my congressman. In all of his years in office, this is probably the first time he has ever merited a headline. He is a shining example of what is wrong with Congress. He recites the Official Party Rhetoric in newsletters to us from time to time, and he occasionally includes a poll question like "Do you think we should protect our borders?" or "Do you think that the government should tax the businesses that provide jobs?" It's a dead red district, so he gets routinely reelected. However, he has been phoning it in for over a decade. If the guy died in his office, I'm not sure that anyone would notice until the smell got bad. Yes, this is our congressional leadership.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-obamacare-poe-idUSKBN16X13K

In fairness to him, he couldn't stand by and watch the freedom caucus let the genocidal be the enemy of the merely evil.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject:

This discusses legal stuff, but it isn't written in legalese. It is about a Wisconsin case challenging political gerrymandering. The lower court in Wisconsin actually struck down the state legislative districts on the basis of a novel theory to measure gerrymandering. It sounds like a clever idea.

Salon
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

"If you can't argue the law, argue the facts... if you can't argue the facts, slam your fist on the table as hard as you can."

Someone's hand must be getting pretty sore . . . just saying.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-staff-wiping-electronic-devices-subpoena-fbi-investigation-russia-a7651276.html

Good luck with that!
Wipe all the phones you want. Feds can still retrieve data with ease. They can subpoena ISPs and cell phone carriers. Prove Trump team deleted the info. Add more charges.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I always heard it as:

"If the law is for you but not the facts, pound the law.
if the facts are for you but not the law, pound the facts.
If neither the fact nor the law are for you, pound the table."
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-staff-wiping-electronic-devices-subpoena-fbi-investigation-russia-a7651276.html

Good luck with that!
Wipe all the phones you want. Feds can still retrieve data with ease. They can subpoena ISPs and cell phone carriers. Prove Trump team deleted the info. Add more charges.

Whew. I was hoping this was the case, thanks for spelling it out for me
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject:

Rasmussen Watch: Trump's disapproval hits a new high at 56% (44% approval). Once again, daily tracking numbers are going to fluctuate, but the trends are meaningful. The Rasmussen numbers are significant because they are LV numbers that tend to skew in favor of the GOP.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/trump_approval_index_history
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject:

New from the Ministry of Silly Ideas:

Quote:
U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday is set to announce his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, will take on a White House role to oversee a broad effort to overhaul the federal government, The Washington Post reported, citing statements from both men.

Kushner, who is married to Trump's daughter Ivanka Trump and currently serves as a senior adviser, will lead the newly formed White House Office of American Innovation with an eye on leveraging business ideas and potentially privatizing some government functions, the Post said.

"The government should be run like a great American company. Our hope is that we can achieve successes and efficiencies for our customers, who are the citizens," Kushner told the Post in an interview.

Some of the areas he will focus on are veterans' care, opioid addiction, technology and data infrastructure, workforce training and infrastructure, according to the report.

In a statement to the Post, Trump said: "I promised the American people I would produce results, and apply my ‘ahead of schedule, under budget’ mentality to the government."

Quote:
He has already has been given a wide range of domestic and foreign policy responsibilities, including working toward a Middle East peace deal. He will continue to serve in his many roles even as he takes up the new duties, the Post reported.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-kushner-idUSKBN16Y19V

Jared Kushner, Minister of Doin' Stuff.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject:

This is largely a nerdy piece, but the closing thought is intriguing:

Quote:
The problem for Trump and Ryan now is that there is no way to placate the Freedom Caucus without upsetting more moderate Republican House members. The moderates may be more willing to compromise than the Freedom Caucus, but not if the Freedom Caucus members get everything they want. One remaining question is whether the caucus will start to function like a separate party that is only loosely affiliated with a major party, as the Southern Democrats did for much of the 20th century. Southern Democrats exacted lots of legislative compromises to protect their interests, most notably shaping public policy to preserve segregation and exclude African-Americans from federal programs. Since then, the specific issues and ideas have changed. Freedom Caucus members have a pretty good idea of what kinds of bills they don’t like. The question remains what kinds of concessions — if any — can bring them on board.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-two-cracks-in-the-republican-party/
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
This is largely a nerdy piece, but the closing thought is intriguing:

Quote:
The problem for Trump and Ryan now is that there is no way to placate the Freedom Caucus without upsetting more moderate Republican House members. The moderates may be more willing to compromise than the Freedom Caucus, but not if the Freedom Caucus members get everything they want. One remaining question is whether the caucus will start to function like a separate party that is only loosely affiliated with a major party, as the Southern Democrats did for much of the 20th century. Southern Democrats exacted lots of legislative compromises to protect their interests, most notably shaping public policy to preserve segregation and exclude African-Americans from federal programs. Since then, the specific issues and ideas have changed. Freedom Caucus members have a pretty good idea of what kinds of bills they don’t like. The question remains what kinds of concessions — if any — can bring them on board.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-two-cracks-in-the-republican-party/

I thought that had Trump lost the election, this 'base' (one that includes freedom caucus - which at that time were drooling over the prospect of trump presidency) would be large enough to split into a 3rd party... but he won (biggest underdog upset story ever in my opinion) so here we are
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject:

Is it wrong to consider the freedom caucus as The American division of the Taliban?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 269, 270, 271 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 270 of 3671
Jump to: