OFFICIAL DAVID "MR. DUNK" NWABA THREAD (Picked up off waivers by Bulls p. 24)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Loved his offense tonight. Hit his first three, which was unexpected. Form looks decent. I can see him getting it down. Pretty sure he'll be working hard to add the three point shot to his arsenal next season. He looks like Wesley Matthew's twin brother.

The kid is hungry. I guarantee that he will work his tail off this summer.

Definitely. One benefit of evaluating d-league talent is they take nothing for granted. I wish I could say the same for their NBA counterparts.

Now we need to find a JaMychal Green clone. Need some of that Grizzles d-league pickup luck.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject:

It was nice to see that clip of Nwaba shooting and making that three pointer last night. His form doesn't look too bad. He also doesn't seem to have that deer in the headlights syndrome that ABrown had. So I am very hopeful for DNwaba.

I have some questions though:

1. I know they say DN has a near 7 foot wingspan. I also know you guys keep saying you don't play defense with the top of your head. So what "size" of a player with average wingspan do you think DN is equivalent to? For example, do you think with his wingspan he is equivalent to a 6'7" guy with average wingspan?

2. With DN's wingspan and athleticism (especially hops) do you think he could also play some small forward?

3. Do you think DN's defense is better than ABrown's was?

I hope he will shoot those "1500 shots per day" in the off season.

DN needs to become the Lakers Michael Cooper!

Thanks
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
It was nice to see that clip of Nwaba shooting and making that three pointer last night. His form doesn't look too bad. He also doesn't seem to have that deer in the headlights syndrome that ABrown had. So I am very hopeful for DNwaba.

1. I know they say DN has a near 7 foot wingspan. I also know you guys keep saying you don't play defense with the top of your head. So what "size" of a player with average wingspan do you think DN is equivalent to? For example, do you think with his wingspan he is equivalent to a 6'7" guy with average wingspan?

2. With DN's wingspan and athleticism (especially hops) do you think he could also play some small forward?

Thanks

He always has his one arms high though so he can play the 3 as well. I remember he guarded Wiggins well. Cavs also keep switching him so Kyrie takes Randle instead so I'm pretty sure, Kyrie got bothered by him and Randle always have his arms down. I think Nwaba is playing defense on his sheer
talent alone. If he drain those 3s, he will be in our rotation and will have a lengthy career. He is hungry so I'm pretty sure he will work his ass off this summer to develop his range. He got this opportunity, he has the physical attributes. It's on him if he does not make the most of it.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

Thanks

He always has his one arms high though so he can play the 3 as well. I remember he guarded Wiggins well. Cavs also keep switching him so Kyrie takes Randle instead so I'm pretty sure, Kyrie got bothered by him and Randle always have his arms down. I think Nwaba is playing defense on his sheer
talent alone. If he drain those 3s, he will be in our rotation and will have a lengthy career. He is hungry so I'm pretty sure he will work his ass off this summer to develop his range. He got this opportunity, he has the physical attributes. It's on him if he does not make the most of it.

From what I watched, Kyrie eviscerated him on defense.
But he is a much better defender than AB
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
CRoost wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

Thanks

That's true, Kyrie can do that to anyone when he's hot. but at the end when the game was on the line , Cavs still keep switching Kyrie on Randle. So I'm pretty sure the Cavs are wary of Nwaba because The Cavs would have Kyrie keep coming to him if he was not bothered by him at all.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
tox wrote:
CRoost wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

Thanks

That's true, Kyrie can do that to anyone when he's hot. but at the end when the game was on the line , Cavs still keep switching Kyrie on Randle. So I'm pretty sure the Cavs are wary of Nwaba because The Cavs would have Kyrie keep coming to him if he was not bothered by him at all.

All that says is Kyrie would rather be guarded by Randle than Nwaba. I don't see it as a ringing endorsement of Nwaba's defense. That's the Cavs' style. Just run PnR until the opposition switches and you get your most favorable defensive matchup. Then, isolate and go.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

I think Nwaba's shot is actually not that bad. To me he is a Nance like player, he would rather move the ball along than take the shot for better or worse.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject:

But he is a much better defender than AB[/quote]

That's true, Kyrie can do that to anyone when he's hot. but at the end when the game was on the line , Cavs still keep switching Kyrie on Randle. So I'm pretty sure the Cavs are wary of Nwaba because The Cavs would have Kyrie keep coming to him if he was not bothered by him at all.[/quote]

All that says is Kyrie would rather be guarded by Randle than Nwaba. I don't see it as a ringing endorsement of Nwaba's defense. That's the Cavs' style. Just run PnR until the opposition switches and you get your most favorable defensive matchup. Then, isolate and go.[/quote]

Yeah I can see that. Too me it's just contradictory to think that Kyrie annhilated Nwaba and still switch him at the end and Cavs did it like at least twice I think. Great offense beats good defense and I've seen that plenty of time. But if I get the feeling that the guy can score anytime on one particular matchup than why bother to switch.

Anyways Nwaba still have a lot things to learn if he wants to be a good defender in this league. He has the physical tools to start with. At this point, I think he's playing on that sheer talent .
pjdodgers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
I think Nwaba's shot is actually not that bad. To me he is a Nance like player, he would rather move the ball along than take the shot for better or worse.

Agreed, and we need more guys like this on the team. I feel like a big reason for our poor defense is a lack of speed and athleticism on the wings. We basically have one athletic wing player (clarkson) and he's mentally handicapped on that side of the floor. Ingram brings potential but more speed and more athletes will serve us well
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject:

If you read PJ Tuckers draft profile, there are some similarities. But Nwaba looks better as the draft profile of PJ!

Nwaba has better passing and ballhandling skills plus he's more athletic. Both are described to have no jump shot.
It took several years for Tucker to develope a 3pt shot. So I think DN can be a slightly better player than Tucker in 2-3 years.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Dude is a defensive difference-maker. I bet the lineup data will back me up.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject:

He has proven he can easily be the 3rd guard off the bench with room to grow.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
If you read PJ Tuckers draft profile, there are some similarities. But Nwaba looks better as the draft profile of PJ!

Nwaba has better passing and ballhandling skills plus he's more athletic. Both are described to have no jump shot.
It took several years for Tucker to develope a 3pt shot. So I think DN can be a slightly better player than Tucker in 2-3 years.

Either PJ Tucker or Matt Barnes is a good comparison for Nwaba.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject:

This guy is so athletic.
I dont know why but I have respect for smalls that try to rebound in the lane among the trees.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:

Thanks

I am also trying to compare him with Anthony Brown. I think he is better playing off-ball. His style is really similar to Tony Allen who is not a typical 3&D player. He has the physical talent to be a great defensive player but without a reliable jump shot, his career won't be long. 3 points shooting is just too important in today's NBA.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject:

I was impressed last night by DN during that one play when he was guarding I think it was Brandon Jennings and he was just blanketing him and made him get rid of the ball.

DN, Hear us on LG, please work on your shot! I want to see you getting minutes in the 4th quarter next season.

Seek out Michael Cooper......learn from him!
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

Thanks

I am also trying to compare him with Anthony Brown. I think he is better playing off-ball. His style is really similar to Tony Allen who is not a typical 3&D player. He has the physical talent to be a great defensive player but without a reliable jump shot, his career won't be long. 3 points shooting is just too important in today's NBA.

Nwaba can attack the rim and finish strong. I don't remember Anthony Brown having that ability. But yes he definitely need that 3 ball to carve a lengthy NBA career.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

Thanks

Tony Allen has an ugly shot. DN has a decent looking shot (based on the one three pointer I saw him shoot).
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:

His defensive awareness and nose for the ball is to be applauded. This dude goes after it.

A guard that skies for rebounds in traffic like him is double thumbs up in my book.

This guy can be a solid rotational guy even if he's just a specialist. Gaining a 3pt shot even at 30% is cherry on top.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

Thanks

I kinda see flashes of Justise Winslow. I am glad we gave him the contract!
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

Thanks

I kinda see flashes of Justise Winslow. I am glad we gave him the contract!

Marcus Smart like dog defense
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject:

I'd like to see him out there more with Larry and Zu. The defense actually looks competent at times with him and LNJr out there together.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject:

I remember the Celtics game at Staples, nothing was working and the mini-run was sparked having Zubac/Nance and Nwaba out there that cut the lead down.
JH from Hemet
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject:

giordan0 wrote:
I remember the Celtics game at Staples, nothing was working and the mini-run was sparked having Zubac/Nance and Nwaba out there that cut the lead down.

I am sure a lot of posters here have played or coached at some level.

I coached high school basketball and helped with Jr. College basketball teams.....doesnt make me an expert so I dont want to come across as a know it all.

Im my opinion.....defense is about effort...yes there is a bit of technique involved.....but effort is what separates a player like nwaba from a player like randle on defense.

nwaba has the makings of a VERY good defensive specialist for us.....so does our 1st rounder from this past year......its all about effort.....getting in a opposing players shorts without actually doing so.......letting him know your there......just being that pesky fly they they want to swat away but cant....wondering where you are on the court worried about the ball gettng swatted away on a shot or stolen if you make a mistake.

I really wish Randle would take the same effort he puts into pounding the glass and used for ALL parts of his game.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

I wonder if he has a post game at all. I've only seen him do it once and he overpowered the defender. It seems like with his body he could create a little niche for himself on offense there.

They also had him bringing the ball up a few times in the last game. Probably the same philosophy as with Ingram earlier in the season of "let's give this guy something to do".
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 14 of 26
Jump to: