Blake Griffin vs prime Amar'e Stoudemire

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who was/is better?
Blake Griffin
40%
 40%  [ 8 ]
Amar'e Stoudemire
60%
 60%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 20

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Blake Griffin vs prime Amar'e Stoudemire

I feel like they have very similar games-- completely reliant upon pick and roll and their jumpers while not having much impact on the defensive end or on the game as a whole. Griffin's jumper isn't nearly as good as Stoudemire's, but he isn't as appallingly bad on defense.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject:

I think BG is a better playmaker, better defender, tho not quite the scorer (which is saying something). I'd take griffin.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Blake has excellent court vision/good handles for a 4 and can stretch the floor better than Amare ever could. Also when engaged, he can be a good defender
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject:

Offensively, it's Amare without a doubt. Blake relies on flops and dunking for the majority of his offensive game. Blake's jumper is trash, and Amare's jumper was money from mid-range. If Amare did not get injured multiple times, he would be remembered a lot more fondly (e.g., Tmac, Yao, etc.). Overall, it might still be Amare because Blake's defense is not significantly better than Amare's.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Offensively, it's Amare without a doubt. Blake relies on flops and dunking for the majority of his offensive game. Blake's jumper is trash, and Amare's jumper was money from mid-range. If Amare did not get injured multiple times, he would be remembered a lot more fondly (e.g., Tmac, Yao, etc.). Overall, it might still be Amare because Blake's defense is not significantly better than Amare's.

Would you say Blake is an average defender, a pretty bad one, or a horrendous one? It's weird to me that he isn't able to have Ibaka-like impact given his jumping ability and mobility.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Would you say Blake is an average defender, a pretty bad one, or a horrendous one? It's weird to me that he isn't able to have Ibaka-like impact given his jumping ability and mobility.

The stats probably say he's average, but my disappointment in his defense is basically what you expressed. The explanation could be due to conditioning/fatigue (inexcusable for his age, and unlikely imo given his effort on offense), desire (likely), and/or low defensive basketball IQ (possible, as well). Amare is not exempt from these criticisms, but there is no point mentioning Blake's defense in this H2H comparison since he's not a difference maker on that end either.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Hate the Clippers, but I'll take Blake. Very reluctantly. He seems like the more complete player of the two. Better passer better rebounder.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject:

I would take Amare. Blake is more skilled, but Amare showed up late in games.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

The stats probably say he's average, but my disappointment in his defense is basically what you expressed. The explanation could be due to conditioning/fatigue (inexcusable for his age, and unlikely imo given his effort on offense), desire (likely), and/or low defensive basketball IQ (possible, as well). Amare is not exempt from these criticisms, but there is no point mentioning Blake's defense in this H2H comparison since he's not a difference maker on that end either.

But Amar'e was absolutely abysmal on defense. His offensive impact was almost entirely negated by his lack of even a semblance of defense.

The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
Blake has excellent court vision/good handles for a 4 and can stretch the floor better than Amare ever could. Also when engaged, he can be a good defender

What? I don't have stats, but I recall Amare being a great mid-range shooter, especially after his knee issues took away some of his athleticism. Certainly better than Blake.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

But Amar'e was absolutely abysmal on defense. His offensive impact was almost entirely negated by his lack of even a semblance of defense.

I think Amare (and his bad defense) was singled out a bit on those Suns teams as the main scapegoat for their lack of championships. I don't think he was that terrible later in his career.
Corey78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Would this even be a topic of discussion if Amare never had the microfracture surgery?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Corey78 wrote:
Would this even be a topic of discussion if Amare never had the microfracture surgery?

He only played three seasons before the microfracture surgery. Was he really that much worse after having it? Still seemed like an elite athlete afterward.

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

how about vs Shawn Kemp (pre-obese era)
Corey78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Corey78 wrote:

He only played three seasons before the microfracture surgery. Was he really that much worse after having it? Still seemed like an elite athlete afterward.

Third season Amare dominated prime Tim Duncan in the playoffs. He was never the same in my eyes after that. He reduced his weight to alleviate stress on his knees and became more of a perimeter player. He also wasn't as strong or powerful in my eyes. Initially, Amare's comparison was a miniature Shaq. After the knee injury, not so much.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: