OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 412, 413, 414 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
tox wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
tox wrote:
So people talk about Ingram's footwork limiting his scoring potential. Can anyone break down what they mean by that? Because I don't really get it.

Paging GT...

He has difficulty going from being on the move to being an immediate scoring threat, and has to gather himself, which allows the defense to recover. How often do you see him coming around a screen and go up with a quality jumper? He's very inefficient when pulling up off of the pick & roll as well.

IMO, you have to be able to do freakish athletic things to be a fantastic scorer without being able to do that. The question, which I can't answer with certainty either way, is how fixable that is.

I see. Yeah, that makes sense to me. Honest question -- we've seen the Dirk comparison. How often did Dirk do that kind of stuff?

I'm watching this video:

and honestly I don't many shots off of screens either? It's just length + shooting... though obviously Dirk's a GOAT shooter and that's a tough task for anyone to replicate.

This is the exact reason why Dirk has been my offensive archetype for him to follow since the summer. Other guys that he's compared to, like George, Durant, or even Kawhi had a fluidity at that age that he doesn't possess w/his footwork. Or Giannis, who's athleticism was more freakish for his size.

But what Ingram does have is triple threat/high post ability, hence the Dirk comparison. You're right, Dirk's probably the GOAT shooter amongst bigs (with a high degree of usage anyway), so it's gonna be hard for Ingram to replicate that, but it's possible. And at the very worst, it's the right developmental path to go down, and if he turns out to be 70% of what Dirk is you still have a damn good offensive player to go along w/his defensive potential.

GT, what about Garnett? Rebounding aside, I see some similarities in body style. I think what Ingram gives up as a rebounder he makes up for in playmaking and ability to play on ball from the perimeter.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Mike Bresnahan: Will Brandon Ingram be shut down the rest of the season? No, Walton said: As soon as he moves without pain, “we’ll get him back out there.” – via Twitter Mike_Bresnahan
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:
Mike Bresnahan: Will Brandon Ingram be shut down the rest of the season? No, Walton said: As soon as he moves without pain, “we’ll get him back out there.” – via Twitter Mike_Bresnahan

Hoping its true, I wanna see Ingram continue to improve.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject:

He should just shut it down for the year. Nothing to play for - why risk it.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:

Hopefully Luke will start watching his minutes now, he almost played Brandon into the ground. Looking forward to him getting back out there tho, the games have been less interesting without him.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
He should just shut it down for the year. Nothing to play for - why risk it.

Hopefully if he does play, it's because the injury is minor.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Rest him until the playoffs.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

Hopefully Luke will start watching his minutes now, he almost played Brandon into the ground. Looking forward to him getting back out there tho, the games have been less interesting without him.

Lose, lose situation. You have people crying about how the young guys don't play enough, then you have guys saying they are being run into the ground.

Once again, I'm confused? Can't please everyone I guess?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

Lose, lose situation. You have people crying about how the young guys don't play enough, then you have guys saying they are being run into the ground.

Didn't ever like him playing 40 mpg honestly
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Rest him until the playoffs.
2020?
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

Nothing to be confused about. It's possible to play the kid without running him into the ground. Brandon under no circumstances should be playing over 35 mins in an NBA game, it accomplishes nothing.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject:

GT I'm just curious, what did you think of Bynum's progression from year 1 to say..year 3? Just in general and in terms of anything he developed that maybe you didn't expect or see in the beginning.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject:

8 Games....shut the kid down. Zero risk because there is zero reward.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject:

I think we played him a bit too much this season. 36mpg the last 10 games. I think it's just wearing his body down.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think we played him a bit too much this season. 36mpg the last 10 games. I think it's just wearing his body down.

let him rest up for the Summer League 2017 title run
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
tox wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
tox wrote:
So people talk about Ingram's footwork limiting his scoring potential. Can anyone break down what they mean by that? Because I don't really get it.

Paging GT...

He has difficulty going from being on the move to being an immediate scoring threat, and has to gather himself, which allows the defense to recover. How often do you see him coming around a screen and go up with a quality jumper? He's very inefficient when pulling up off of the pick & roll as well.

IMO, you have to be able to do freakish athletic things to be a fantastic scorer without being able to do that. The question, which I can't answer with certainty either way, is how fixable that is.

I see. Yeah, that makes sense to me. Honest question -- we've seen the Dirk comparison. How often did Dirk do that kind of stuff?

I'm watching this video:

and honestly I don't many shots off of screens either? It's just length + shooting... though obviously Dirk's a GOAT shooter and that's a tough task for anyone to replicate.

This is the exact reason why Dirk has been my offensive archetype for him to follow since the summer. Other guys that he's compared to, like George, Durant, or even Kawhi had a fluidity at that age that he doesn't possess w/his footwork. Or Giannis, who's athleticism was more freakish for his size.

But what Ingram does have is triple threat/high post ability, hence the Dirk comparison. You're right, Dirk's probably the GOAT shooter amongst bigs (with a high degree of usage anyway), so it's gonna be hard for Ingram to replicate that, but it's possible. And at the very worst, it's the right developmental path to go down, and if he turns out to be 70% of what Dirk is you still have a damn good offensive player to go along w/his defensive potential.

GT, what about Garnett? Rebounding aside, I see some similarities in body style. I think what Ingram gives up as a rebounder he makes up for in playmaking and ability to play on ball from the perimeter.

KG was an athletic freak like Giannis, just played more inside like all bigs back then. I hope Ingram can be like KG but I don't see it, maybe a smoother less athletic lengky tall guy (Iceman?)
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Going from NCAA to leading an NBA team in minutes played will tend to take a toll.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Going from NCAA to leading an NBA team in minutes played will tend to take a toll.

Especially with all the changes to his body trying to put on muscle/weight. No need to break him at this point.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject:

Shut him down for the season
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

I think KG was a significantly better athlete.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
GT I'm just curious, what did you think of Bynum's progression from year 1 to say..year 3? Just in general and in terms of anything he developed that maybe you didn't expect or see in the beginning.

IIRC, Bynum is the youngest player to ever appear in a game, so he was incredibly raw. I remember his footwork and balance had improved by quite a bit, but that was a while back and I don't remember that exact time frame all that well.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
tox wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
tox wrote:

Paging GT...

I'm watching this video:

KG was an athletic freak like Giannis, just played more inside like all bigs back then. I hope Ingram can be like KG but I don't see it, maybe a smoother less athletic lengky tall guy (Iceman?)

To see KG & Ingram's name in the same breath shows how differently we perceive things. To me, Ingram and KG have absolutely nothing in common except the obvious things: tall, multi-talented, etc.., KG is one of the all time greats, and someone I always dreamed would don a Laker uniform.

Gervin would definitely be a much closer comparison. Long, crafty, handles the rock, a match up nightmare.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Agreed.

I'm against anyone asking for 32+ minutes for rookies.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I think KG was a significantly better athlete.

Yeah KG was an elite athlete. He was skinny but still much stronger than Ingram even as a rookie.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject:

"KG was an athletic freak like Giannis, just played more inside like all bigs back then. I hope Ingram can be like KG but I don't see it, maybe a smoother less athletic lengky tall guy (Iceman?)"

Man everyone sleeps on BI's athleticism. The kid is very athletic. I hate seeing this misinformation spread around here like that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 412, 413, 414 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 413 of 1885
Jump to: