Who is your MVP?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is your MVP?
Westbrook
80%
 80%  [ 58 ]
Harden
19%
 19%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 72

ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Who is your MVP?

I believe this is a race between the two only.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject:

Harden, because precedent is to only give the award to players on a 50+ win team.

Harden's numbers aren't even that much worse than Westbrook's.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject:

Leonard is in the race. He won't win, but he'll get votes.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject:

It isn't Rusty. Imo, Lebron or Leonard get the vote followed by Harden and Rusty.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject:

1. LeBron
2. Leonard
3. Harden
4. Westbrook
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject:

Russell Westbrook
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

i know Westbrook is shameless stat pads but its a HUGE feat nonetheless to avg 32/10/10 in today's NBA and carried his team to a NBA playoff birth. I dont see how you dont give him the MVP. Its easy for the act of averaging a triple double to kinda lose its shock value after you heard about it nonstop for months now but if you put it back in perspective its something truly historical and something I put up there with Chamberlain's 100pt game as something I thought it was nearly impossible for someone to do again in how NBA games are played now
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject:

I'm a Kawhi Leonard fan, and I had James Harden with my vote until the past few weeks ... but I'm thoroughly unsure how I might vote now ... I just don't think it can be denied any longer what Russell Westbrook has done this season. His efficiency is garbage, his turnovers are atrocious, but ...

The guy is winning games in startling fashion ... the narrative that he has no help is false, of course, but he's winning these games seemingly singlehandedly. Stop, sit down, and watch how the wins are happening for OKC down the stretch each game ...

Per 36 production ...

32.9 points (Lakers reference: Kobe Bryant averaged 31.1 in 2005/2006, and 24.9 for his career)
10.9 rebounds (Lakers reference: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar averaged 10.9 for his career)
10.8 assists (Lakers reference: Magic Johnson averaged 11.0 for his career)

It's (bleep) bananas what this guy is doing ...
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Russell Westbrook
Daloyalfan16
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject:

1. Westbrook
2. Harden
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
i know Westbrook is shameless stat pads but its a HUGE feat nonetheless to avg 32/10/10 in today's NBA and carried his team to a NBA playoff birth. I dont see how you dont give him the MVP. Its easy for the act of averaging a triple double to kinda lose its shock value after you heard about it nonstop for months now but if you put it back in perspective its something truly historical and something I put up there with Chamberlain's 100pt game as something I thought it was nearly impossible for someone to do again in how NBA games are played now

Well, Harden is averaging 29-8-11 and has led his team to the third best record in basketball.

I wonder how many votes Westbrook would lose if he averaged 32-9-11 instead of 32-10-10. How much of a vote for Westbrook is really a vote for our love of nice round numbers?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

I love Westbrook, and it's impressive what he has been able to do. I just don't think rewarding this type of play is a good thing. His usage is historic. It's not basketball. He set out the year on a quest for statistics. As a spectacle it's cool, but I wouldn't use an MVP vote on it.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I dont see how you dont give him the MVP.

Because this guy in Houston has carried a team projected to finish worse than OKC to the 3rd best record in basketball, while only avg 2 less rebounds but shooting better all across the board and playing better defense (not saying Harden's D is great but Westbrook is arguably the worst defensive PG in basketball this year).
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Because this guy in Houston has carried a team projected to finish worse than OKC to the 3rd best record in basketball, while only avg 2 less rebounds but shooting better all across the board and playing better defense (not saying Harden's D is great but Westbrook is arguably the worst defensive PG in basketball this year).

In some ways I think Harden has the worst case out of all the candidates, which is funny because he's going to win it and I don't have him ranked last. Harden fills the "best player on the team that did better than we thought they'd do" criteria of the race which I've always felt is the weakest argument.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

In some ways I think Harden has the worst case out of all the candidates, which is funny because he's going to win it and I don't have him ranked last. Harden fills the "best player on the team that did better than we thought they'd do" criteria of the race which I've always felt is the weakest argument.

I'd vote Westbrook over Harden. Harden is a tough one for me. His rebounding and ast numbers are impressive. But there are more MVP candidate than this. Even Curry, to me, deserves to finish higher than Harden.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
1. LeBron
2. Leonard
3. Harden
4. Westbrook

That's my list too.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

I'm not sure that's passing expectations is a criteria, or even a consideration in how people actually vote in part because voters don't have uniform expectations for how teams will do. We can only guess what makes people vote the way they do. What we can say is:

-- Houston is set to have a 15 game improvement or so from the previous year -- which is huge. There is a high correlation between guys winning mvps and their teams improving by 8-10 games or more.
-- Houston will probably have the third best record in the league.
-- Harden's personal stats are up there with anybody's this year, and depending on how you evaluate stats they could be the best in the league.
-- Of all the candidates, Harden seems to hit more of the typical criteria with how MVP votes have been cast in the past.

The case for Westbrook seems to be largely personal stats -- going gaga over the triple double. While that's impressive, it would be unusual for a guy to win MVP based on personal stats on a team that doesn't win 50 games.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ocho wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

I'm not sure that's passing expectations is a criteria, or even a consideration in how people actually vote in part because voters don't have uniform expectations for how teams will do. We can only guess what makes people vote the way they do. What we can say is:

-- Houston is set to have a 15 game improvement or so from the previous year -- which is huge. There is a high correlation between guys winning mvps and their teams improving by 8-10 games or more.
-- Harden's personal stats are up there with anybody's this year, and depending on how you evaluate stats they could be the best in the league.
-- Of all the candidates, Harden seems to hit more of the typical criteria with how MVP votes have been cast in the past.

The case for Westbrook seems to be largely personal stats -- going gaga over the triple double. While that's impressive, it would be unusual for a guy to win MVP based on personal stats on a team that doesn't win 50 games.

Passing expectations is absolutely a criteria in people's minds and I don't know how you could argue any different. Our resident Houston fan here has used it to argue for Harden in this very thread. Houston's improvement has been impressive, though you could make the case that's more a product of D'Antoni than Harden. Harden was there last year too. I do agree that Harden will get it and generally fits the criteria (voter fatigue for the other candidate, team improved and beat expectations, upper seed in the conference, etc).

Harden isn't the best player in the game. He's not the best 2 way player. He's not the best player on the best team. Statistically he's having a phenomenal year but people who tend to vote on stats might be more impressed with Westbrook for reasons already stated. LeBron gets my vote because you could replace any of the other candidates with him and those teams would improve. Isn't that the definition of a most valuable player? (I realize the actual award has no definition). Harden is a great player, but I think we will look back at his inevitable MVP win with shrugged shoulders. Basically voters are tired of voting for LeBron, the Golden State guys split votes, and people don't realize how good Kawhi is and don't value defense.
Daloyalfan16
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject:

I could see Lebron being in it if the Cavs were on 60+ pace but there is no way he'd get it with them possibly ending up #2 or maybe even (Gasp) #3 if the Wiz surge over the final games. Even the national media isn't talking as much about Lebron with how the Cavs have faltered toward the end.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ocho wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Passing expectations is absolutely a criteria in people's minds and I don't know how you could argue any different. Our resident Houston fan here has used it to argue for Harden in this very thread. Houston's improvement has been impressive, though you could make the case that's more a product of D'Antoni than Harden. Harden was there last year too. I do agree that Harden will get it and generally fits the criteria (voter fatigue for the other candidate, team improved and beat expectations, upper seed in the conference, etc).

Harden isn't the best player in the game. He's not the best 2 way player. He's not the best player on the best team. Statistically he's having a phenomenal year but people who tend to vote on stats might be more impressed with Westbrook for reasons already stated. LeBron gets my vote because you could replace any of the other candidates with him and those teams would improve. Isn't that the definition of a most valuable player? (I realize the actual award has no definition). Harden is a great player, but I think we will look back at his inevitable MVP win with shrugged shoulders. Basically voters are tired of voting for LeBron, the Golden State guys split votes, and people don't realize how good Kawhi is and don't value defense.

1. Like I said, I can see historical evidence that improvement from previous seasons correlates with MVP voting (perhaps that's what you mean by "beating expectations" -- if so, no disagreement). If you're talking about beating expectations in a more vague, non-measureable way, it’s a difficult thing to even discuss, because it turns into an argument about hazy memories about what expectations people had for teams before the season started.
2. Generally, I don't think voters factor in other changes that led to that improvement. When Iverson won MVP after Philly improved, I don't recall people talking about how it was really due to the 76ers getting Dikembe. Iverson got the credit.
3. I don't think voters care about what-if arguments -- how would teams do if you took away X players? People vote based on what happened, not guesses of alternative scenarios. It's not a referendum on who the best player is in a general sense; it's a vote on who performed better that one reason. Often the two things are not exactly the same.
4. Ultimately, I think people shrug over most MVP awards, except fans of the guys who won or were denied the prize.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
It's not a referendum on who the best player is in a general sense; it's a vote on who performed better that one reason. Often the two things are not exactly the same.

Eh. At no point of this season would any decent basketball person proclaim Harden the best player, even if they were only going by the standards of this season.

Quote:
Ultimately, I think people shrug over most MVP awards, except fans of the guys who won or were denied the prize.

I don't know that they shrug over most MVPs but they definitely do over some of them and this is going to be one of those years in the tradition of Iverson, Rose, and Malone.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:

If Westbrook doesn't win it it'd be a crime.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
If Westbrook doesn't win it it'd be a crime.
Not really. If he did win it though, no beefs either. What he's done statistically is amazing. Period.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook. Harden has been great, but Rockets are also perfect fit for MDA system with shooters around. If you put Harden in OKC, they are probably worse and his stats won't be the same.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
It's not a referendum on who the best player is in a general sense; it's a vote on who performed better that one reason. Often the two things are not exactly the same.

Eh. At no point of this season would any decent basketball person proclaim Harden the best player, even if they were only going by the standards of this season.

That's the point. Your idea that Lebron should win because of your belief that you could put him on the other teams and they would do better is just another way saying he is the best player in the league. But that says nothing about how anyone has actually performed during this season -- which is what the award is about.

I don't see how you can base the MVP award on a woulda-coulda-shoulda guess of how guys would do in hypothetical scenarios.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: