Of Salaries & Goals...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Of Salaries & Goals...

Hi everyone! I am seeking wisdom from my fellow LG'ers about how to deal with getting raises at work, and for general advice for young professionals (aka: millennials) to help temper expectations for what success should look like in the work place.

A little background about myself: I got a job while still in uni as a non-CPA accountant before graduating in winter '14 from a state school. I realized that finance was not for me and switched to the cloud ops team within the same company, which was a better fit that allowed me to grow by learning new skills. While the could ops job paid decently for someone of my experience, or lack thereof, I couldn't help but want more everything (pay, displayed work values, great manager, good company) and started looking for opportunities in new states. Probably would have went international with the search but have a wife still in college and a son at home.

My search led me to make contact with an international org that has an office in the U.S., which I offered my services to under a consulting company I set up and moved with my family for the new opportunity. I've been at it now for a few months and absolutely love this org and my team, which has complete trust in me and has already allowed me to travel to multiple countries in just a few months! Most importantly, the org had the "soft" things I was looking for in terms of work culture, great management, and an environment that allows employees to truly excel.

Today was a great day for me as I was offered a full-time position with them at a networking event they were hosting for their employees. The offer really came as a surprise because I was not expecting it at all - especially since I am a (relatively) recent college grad trying my hand in a new field - and the initial offer was $10k+ the original contract terms I signed with them plus bonuses. Of course I accepted with no questions asked Quick reflection, accepting has made me almost triple what I was making in accounting and double what I was making in cloud ops in base salary with my first company.

Now here is the only problem. As a self-admitted entitled millennial, I am very critical about most important choices I make. Now, before the offer came out of the blue, I was interested in perhaps taking on more clients in my consulting role and driving up the value of my company by eventually expanding to have a small efficient team across multiple countries. I can't help but feel that the offer I received, while incredible to me, was essentially a buy out, and that I am failing in my first business venture. However, on the other hand, I am absolutely in a better position than I was yesterday and have plans to stay with this org for years to come and fully repay their faith in me.

With that being said, here are my questions to LG:

1) Good or bad, how have you dealt with receiving raises before?
2) What approach(es) have you taken to temper professional expectations you have set for yourself?
3) What have you seen from the younger generation of employees that (a) has been most surprising you and (b) most frustrating?

Please add comments & insights - they will all be appreciated!

sorries for the long post >.<

UG
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject:

1) You are worth what you negotiate. Check the 90% percentile of your experience and skill set. If you're above that, be happy about it but also look for equity.

DevOps is a highly sought after skill and not enough people do it. I dove head first into a deployment issue with chef, opsworks, supermarket, knife, etc. Took me f'in forever (or so it seemed) to figure out that it wasn't doable with a standard AMI for Ubuntu 14.0.4 Someone who has done this for a while would have known that.

2) Meh. I'm pretty hardcore and have programmed in more OS'es, languages, etc. than almost everyone I know. Just remember, there will ALWAYS be people who are better, unless your name is Stroustrup, Richie, Sutter, etc. you will meet some amazing people (and some of the crappiest).

3) The most frustrating part about the younger generation is that you guys really like to think something is done when the sunny day scenario has been completed, and Ruby on Rails and ruby has some of the worst "engineers" out there as a community. There are rare exceptions (usually coming from other languages), but damn, not happy camper there. And yes, I'm starting a language war because the ruby language is just that great, especially when there is something close to that and much nicer, in Python.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject:

If you have a long working career ahead of you, get as much money up front as you can, then work hard, very hard, prove your worth and make yourself valuable to the company, stay a minimum of three years and learn everything you can.

At the end of three years, look at the company, are they successful? are they taking care of you? Do they make sound decisions? Do you like your boss? If any of these are "no", start looking for a better job, don't let your current employer know, and don't quit until you find a better job..

Repeat with the next employer..

What you don't want is to stay at a job for ten years because you are comfortable when they are NOT giving you raises, oh they will tell you a half dozen stories why they can't (give you a raise) and every one of those reasons is BS!

And if they offer you more money to stay..don't do it as they will lose all respect for you.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for diving right in with your response tlim

tlim wrote:
1) You are worth what you negotiate. Check the 90% percentile of your experience and skill set. If you're above that, be happy about it but also look for equity.

I think that salary discussions are very interesting for younger professionals. At my first job I was stunned how everyone on my team seemed content with what they were getting paid, which wasn't even market value with overtime! Mind you this was on the finance team. They all thought I was crazy and acting spoiled when I would bring up the fact that we were not getting paid anything close to what we were delivering. It really bothered me. I say this with no joy that I was obviously right about being underpaid and right to leave. I realized only after that the company severely underpaid everyone across all teams that had a title below director level. Go figure..

Quote:
DevOps is a highly sought after skill and not enough people do it. I dove head first into a deployment issue with chef, opsworks, supermarket, knife, etc. Took me f'in forever (or so it seemed) to figure out that it wasn't doable with a standard AMI for Ubuntu 14.0.4 Someone who has done this for a while would have known that.

Awesome that you were able to find a niche and take the time to learn how to use the automation tools to your advantage. That seems to be a huge issue with the workforce now: too many people don't have the desired skills required to do lucrative jobs. The jobs are out there for the taking, but students are still graduating from college without learning the requisite skills for them.

Quote:
2) Meh. I'm pretty hardcore and have programmed in more OS'es, languages, etc. than almost everyone I know. Just remember, there will ALWAYS be people who are better, unless your name is Stroustrup, Richie, Sutter, etc. you will meet some amazing people (and some of the crappiest).

Agreed that there will always be someone better at specific things, and it's good to get close to bright minds to sharpen your own sword. It never ceases to amaze me how crappy people seem to have a knack for somehow getting key positions lol

Quote:
3) The most frustrating part about the younger generation is that you guys really like to think something is done when the sunny day scenario has been completed, and Ruby on Rails and ruby has some of the worst "engineers" out there as a community. There are rare exceptions (usually coming from other languages), but damn, not happy camper there. And yes, I'm starting a language war because the ruby language is just that great, especially when there is something close to that and much nicer, in Python.

The way I see it, there always seems to be many factors at play with younger employees and their reactions to their perceived success. There is of course those of the braggadocios sort who beat you over the head with every little task they accomplish (you know who these people are), then there are some who always appear to be off on their own island mentally that don't like to associate much and keep their earbuds in all day, plus everything in between. I like to think that most of this comes from the simple fact that they are learning how to be professionals.

Upper education is woefully inept at teaching basic professional do's and don'ts and preparing students for the "real world." Maybe the recession is to blame, but the fact is that most new grads are either forced to take on near-minimum wage or unpaid internships fresh out of college to build up their resume, or realize they have no useful skills and go back to school for their masters - which will lead to employers potentially looking over them as candidates once again due to having no work experience. Vicious circle.

Though annoying, it's no surprise to me that college grads that do get that rare good paying job in their field might be a little overbearing at times. I'm of the opinion that this comes from a good place, and that younger professionals need tough love, guidance, and time to straighten out. And a LOT of patience!

Question, how did the generation preceding you think of you and your similar-aged peers when you were starting out?
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
If you have a long working career ahead of you, get as much money up front as you can, then work hard, very hard, prove your worth and make yourself valuable to the company, stay a minimum of three years and learn everything you can.

At the end of three years, look at the company, are they successful? are they taking care of you? Do they make sound decisions? Do you like your boss? If any of these are "no", start looking for a better job, don't let your current employer know, and don't quit until you find a better job..

Repeat with the next employer..

What you don't want is to stay at a job for ten years because you are comfortable when they are NOT giving you raises, oh they will tell you a half dozen stories why they can't (give you a raise) and every one of those reasons is BS!

And if they offer you more money to stay..don't do it as they will lose all respect for you.

Great advice. I think it's very hard sometimes to identify when it's time for you to let yourself out, because it is so easy to get comfortable.

I think the bolded is critical. I have known many people that have either returned to a previous employer or entered into a B2B arrangement with them after leaving (usually for consulting or professional services). None of them ever rescinded their 2 weeks' notices, and they were better for it.

OTOH, I have seen a couple coworkers up close who submitted a resignation letter and reconsidered after getting sweet talked by their supervisor/manager. Many times they only received menial increases in pay (one memorable one was a $0.50/hr raise) and had a bunch of their 'concerns' being escalated. Almost every single one of them ended up getting burned and fired down the line anyway.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: