Tracy McGrady makes the Hall of Fame
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Tracy McGrady makes the Hall of Fame

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/04/01/tracy-mcgrady-vindicated-hall-fame

Not surprising, but the guy had a pretty disappointing career for someone who had the potential to be better than Kobe.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

I actually do think it's surprising. Lots of prediction articles have guessed he wouldn't be a hall of famer. Heck, some people on LG were questioning Reggie Miller's induction a few years ago. I think this will definitely establish a precedent for future hall of fame classes.

However, looking at his achievements, he does have more scoring titles, all-NBA selections, and all-star selections than the likes of Rasheed Wallace, Baron Davis, etc. So despite little playoff success, I guess McGrady still has the resume to support his entry to the hall.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Gellollo wrote:
I actually do think it's surprising. Lots of prediction articles have guessed he wouldn't be a hall of famer. Heck, some people on LG were questioning Reggie Miller's induction a few years ago. I think this will definitely establish a precedent for future hall of fame classes.

However, looking at his achievements, he does have more scoring titles, all-NBA selections, and all-star selections than the likes of Rasheed Wallace, Baron Davis, etc. So despite little playoff success, I guess McGrady still has the resume to support his entry to the hall.

They should start differentiating between different levels of the Hall of Fame, e.g. "Hall of Fame, First Class;" "Hall of Fame, Second Class," etc.

Top honors should be reserved for legends.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Gellollo wrote:

They should start differentiating between different levels of the Hall of Fame, e.g. "Hall of Fame, First Class;" "Hall of Fame, Second Class," etc.

Interesting idea, but opinions change over time. I can imagine some players advocating that they move up because they feel they were placed unfairly based on the time of their induction.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject:

He deserves it, great talent when he played.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Gellollo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Gellollo wrote:

Interesting idea, but opinions change over time. I can imagine some players advocating that they move up because they feel they were placed unfairly based on the time of their induction.

The baseball hall of fame kinda sorta does this by revealing the vote -- we know who got in easily, and who squeaked in. The basketball hall has zero transparency.

But I can't imagine a hall having official different levels for inductees. all that would do is cause controversy the hall doesn't want without providing any benefit for the hall.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Had he stayed healthy I would say yes but given how his career actually played out I would say borderline
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Does this mean Carmelo has a shot? They're similar level to me
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

He deserves it. I hope they use this as his portrait: Pic.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject:

I actually do think he deserves it. May not have had the best longevity, nor made it deep in the playoffs as the guy, but he was still one of the best players in the league at a point of his career, and I think that should count for something.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject:

It's funny to remember when everybody was so excited to see Kobe vs TMac, Kobe vs Iverson, and so on, as they were considered players of the same caliber and stuff.

Tracy McGrady is 37 years old NOW. Dude's been retired since 2013.
34 year old Kobe was dropping 26/6/5 and playing 38 mpg
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
It's funny to remember when everybody was so excited to see Kobe vs TMac, Kobe vs Iverson, and so on, as they were considered players of the same caliber and stuff.

Kobe in comparison to his wing peers, posted arguably the best peak, and without a doubt, the best longevity, which separates him from AI, Carter, McGrady, Allen, etc
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject:

I'm not of the school that thinks just because someone was extremely talented means that they should be in the HOF.

One needs to combine that talent with some meaningful accomplishments.

I mean it's the Hall of FAME. As time moves forward, the only people that will remember TMac are those that remember how good he was. But there is no actual resonance to his career historically.

Not a good choice, but congrats to him all the same.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

very different personalities and work ethic. Even mcgrady marvels at kobe's work ethic. He really wasn't as close to kobe as people say, but people like to underrate kobe and overrate most others. in one of their great head to heads, kobe blocked him badly. People like to talk about mcgrady's great couple of years when he was a leader. But there's a bunch of players in that category who have had a short time span of top level greatness including iverson as mentioned, even gilbert arenas, vince. one of the great unique characteristics of kobe vs other goats is that over his 20 year career, he continually outlasted all these potential kingslayers.

btw i'm not bashin tmac like i do lebron. much respect to him and i love the way he plays. a lot of his reputation is based on that miraculous spurs moment, a great nba moment. he could have had a much better career if not for a bunch of things, including wrong place wrong time. he became a star unexpectedly, and most of the stars of his time were very expected. no one was surprised lebron became a star, for example. that's show business.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I'm not of the school that thinks just because someone was extremely talented means that they should be in the HOF.

One needs to combine that talent with some meaningful accomplishments.

I mean it's the Hall of FAME. As time moves forward, the only people that will remember TMac are those that remember how good he was. But there is no actual resonance to his career historically.

Not a good choice, but congrats to him all the same.

it's a team game. what are they supposed to do? fill it with lakers and celtics only? gotta make room for exceptional people who were on bad teams or unfortunate (compared to others) situations. the pistol petes, kevin johnsons...otherwise there are going to be a bunch of lesser talented people in the HoF while all these more talented people are left out, and that won't make sense to fans who follow the sport deeply.
rebirthoftheM
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject:

Absolutely deserved. Dude was a beast, and was better than a lot of the guys in the HOF.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject:

Kind of surprised he made it on his first shot, but I don't mind it, it's in line with the relatively low standards of the basketball Hall. It's not clear to me, though, why McGrady got in and Webber didn't. They're pretty similar in that they had high but brief peaks where they were top 5 players but not MVPs, then fell apart due to injury. But Webber had much more team success, and was also the best player on one of the most famous and influential (albeit discredited) college teams ever.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject:

Imagine if Tmac, bosh, and VC all stayed in Toronto for their entire careers. That team would have been a dynasty
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject:

Nothing against Tracy McGrady personally, but to me he is not a Hall of Fame player.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

Given the real world standards for the HoF (as opposed to what people think the standards ought to be), TMac was a no-brainer. I don't know why anyone would be surprised by his election.

The selection that disgusts me is McGinnis. If you are under 50, you probably have no recollection of him. He was a good player, for sure, especially in the ABA. But if he wasn't a HoFer for the first 30+ years after his retirement, what changed? Why is the HoF going back and inducting guys who few people even remember, like that Celtic guard who made it a year or two ago?

For those of you who don't remember him, the current player who comes closest to McGinnis is probably LaMarcus Aldridge. He had a reputation of being a prima donna. He posted some big numbers in the ABA, then did okay for a few years after the merger. Again, he was a good player, but I never would have thought of him as a HOFer. What changed?
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Given the real world standards for the HoF (as opposed to what people think the standards ought to be), TMac was a no-brainer. I don't know why anyone would be surprised by his election.

The selection that disgusts me is McGinnis. If you are under 50, you probably have no recollection of him. He was a good player, for sure, especially in the ABA. But if he wasn't a HoFer for the first 30+ years after his retirement, what changed? Why is the HoF going back and inducting guys who few people even remember, like that Celtic guard who made it a year or two ago?

For those of you who don't remember him, the current player who comes closest to McGinnis is probably LaMarcus Aldridge. He had a reputation of being a prima donna. He posted some big numbers in the ABA, then did okay for a few years after the merger. Again, he was a good player, but I never would have thought of him as a HOFer. What changed?

I remember reading how he was a turnover machine; honestly this HOF class just seems extremely weak. Of course, the HOF just admits anyone now, but looking at this year's class, the only people I even recognize are Krause, T-Mac, McGinnis, and Self.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject:

TMac, I loved his talent, his game, and being a match up nightmare. That said, I simply do not find him of Hall of Fame material. Not a slight to him, and I acknowledge I didn't see him play a ton of games, but the Hall was once really special but it's a bit too watered down now.

As an aside to mention, its the same reason I don't feel Goodrich or Worthy belong on the rafters of Staples.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Over the past few years the hall has inducted a lot of weak and borderline candidates who had been waiting around for ever... Zelmo Beaty, JoJo white, Chet Walker, Jamaal Wilkes, and on and on I'm. I don't know what's going on but maybe they have some new voters or something, but lots of guys who have been eligible for decades finally have been giving in
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Given the real world standards for the HoF (as opposed to what people think the standards ought to be), TMac was a no-brainer.

Maybe you could outline what those standards are in a concrete fashion that would lead to Tracey McShadey being a "no-brainer"
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't deserve imo. Can't think of a career defining moment
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: