NBA Lottery Tiebreakers: What are the rules?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: NBA Lottery Tiebreakers: What are the rules?

To Larry Coon and all our other experts out there.

Given there is a possibility the Lakers and the Suns could end the season with identical records, what are the tiebreaker rules prior to the lottery in this event? In other words how are the ping pong balls allocated?

I have read there is a flip of a coin to determine who is slotted in which slot.

I have read there are a set of rules applied (head to head record then conference record then division record) to determine who is slotted in which slot.

I have read the ping pong balls are split evenly between the two teams (balls from slot 2 and 3 combined then divided equally between the teams).

Any help would be appreciated?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_draft_lottery
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_draft_lottery

Thanks!
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject:

So if my math is correct, the Lakers and the Suns will both have a 51.35% chance of staying in the top 3 if they are tied at the end of the season.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
So if my math is correct, the Lakers and the Suns will both have a 51.35% chance of staying in the top 3 if they are tied at the end of the season.

tankathon has it as the team with the additional combination @ 51.6% and the other @ 51.4%

http://www.tankathon.com/
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject:

The position is much more important than the chance of winning
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Laker7 wrote:

tankathon has it as the team with the additional combination @ 51.6% and the other @ 51.4%

I just ran the simulation 10x and only 4 times did we keep the pick.

We literally can not​ win another game. Have to keep these 51% odds. If we lose one more we'll be locked in at 3 and there will be a team that jumps into the top 3. Only takes one now.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Laker7 wrote:

I just ran the simulation 10x and only 4 times did we keep the pick.

We literally can not​ win another game. Have to keep these 51% odds. If we lose one more we'll be locked in at 3 and there will be a team that jumps into the top 3. Only takes one now.

I agree, but we could also jump up.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:

Means exactly ZERO.
Only position which counts is that AFTER the lottery.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject:

rogers49 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Means exactly ZERO.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
rogers49 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Means exactly ZERO.

Yup. The only time that the position matters is if neither team gets selected in the top 3 and it denotes which team falls into place ahead of the other in that instance (for example, if two teams tied for the worst record, and neither was drawn for a top 3 pick, the team that won the toss would pick fourth and the other would pick fifth). Obviously, that would mean LA loses the pick. And they will tied for second as well if they aren't drawn, no matter who wins the toss.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
rogers49 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Means exactly ZERO.

Yup. The only time that the position matters is if neither team gets selected in the top 3 and it denotes which team falls into place ahead of the other in that instance (for example, if two teams tied for the worst record, and neither was drawn for a top 3 pick, the team that won the toss would pick fourth and the other would pick fifth). Obviously, that would mean LA loses the pick. And they will tied for second as well if they aren't drawn, no matter who wins the toss.

It's clear there are a good number of people on this thread who don't understand how the lottery system works. They think that if we have the third worst record we are assured of keeping the pic, and if we dropped to the fourth worst record we absolutely lose to pick
P-n-G Brigade
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Had some fun and ran the tankathon.com simulator results came back positive so I am hopeful.

1-2-2-2-5-4-4-1-3-4

Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject:

I only did the sim once, and the Lakers got the #2. Phoenix got #5. Ha! Suck it!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject:

With all the talk about the league fixing the draft lottery, for those who have good knowledge on the mechanics of how it works, how can the league rig it? I was curious last season and spent some time researching things and watching some videos and I could not come up with a way that could be done.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
With all the talk about the league fixing the draft lottery, for those who have good knowledge on the mechanics of how it works, how can the league rig it? I was curious last season and spent some time researching things and watching some videos and I could not come up with a way that could be done.

It can't be done. Or, more to the point, the only way it would be remotely possible would require so many people conspiring to make it happen that there is no way it wouldn't be exposed well in advance.

Unless, of course, nobody noticed that a bunch of folks involved in the process suddenly suffered from fatal car accidents, carbon monoxide poisoning, accidentally falling off a building and being killed in a botched robbery attempt in the span of a week or two.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

It can't be done. Or, more to the point, the only way it would be remotely possible would require so many people conspiring to make it happen that there is no way it wouldn't be exposed well in advance.

Unless, of course, nobody noticed that a bunch of folks involved in the process suddenly suffered from fatal car accidents, carbon monoxide poisoning, accidentally falling off a building and being killed in a botched robbery attempt in the span of a week or two.

House of Lottery Cards?
kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject:

Relax guys... the basketball gods will help us get the top overall pick come May 16th.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

Lets just hope Suns get one more win in their remaining games.

audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I hope people who bring that up are just being sarcastic or thats some tin foil level stuff
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I hope people who bring that up are just being sarcastic or thats some tin foil level stuff

I think they're serious, and they just haven't thought through the mechanics of how you'd fix the lottery. Empirically, there are certainly suspicious narratives: the Pels get AD after the NBA sells the team; the Bulls defy all odds to get hometown hero Rose; the Cavs get the #1 asset just as Miami looks like they're starting to fall apart to make way for LeBron's return.

That doesn't mean anything suspicious is going on, but I can see why people who haven't tried to ascertain an actual way to rig the lottery (and realized it's impossible) might feel that way.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Those are my feelings as well. When they used an envelope it would be easy to fix, different card stock, temperature or moisture. I had thought that maybe if they weight some of the 14 ping pong balls different maybe the lighter ones would blow up quicker, but watching the balls blowing in the tube you can see that they appear to be uniform.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: