Official MAGINKA Front Office Thread (Ignored coaching staff's pleas to re-sign Brook Lopez and Randle pg. 145)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 172, 173, 174  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:
Between Nwaba and Ennis, I have to give credit to the new regime for doing exactly what detractors of the old ones complained they didn't do: get rid of the Calderons and Huertas's and trying out some younger players to see if you can acquire potential rotation players. Obviously the jury's still out on whether Nwaba and Ennis can be that, but they certainly have more of a chance than a guy like Sacre.

Yeah, and while the popular criticisms of the old regime center on frontcourt acquisitions, in many ways they did their poorest work in the back court. Lacking a backup 1 who could run the same offense and instead handing out a 12.5 mil contract to a guy who duplicated another guy, and who couldn't get more than 5.5 on the market due to arenas rules.

I don't think the Clarkson deal was a bad one. I heard somewhere that teams had legit interest in Clarkson on his contract, so clearly they can offload it if they want. But yeah, I've reached the same conclusion as you that our biggest problem this year was a lack of a real bench point guard which forced Luke to run different stuff for the bench.

Lou is gone, and I'm at the point where I hope Clarkson will be gone as well (for an asset). I'm tired of him. But Ennis and Nwaba aren't answers for the bench either, unless Ennis continues to shoot 40% from 3 (which he won't). If the FO were wise, fixing up the bench backcourt would probably be the most cost-efficient way of improving the team.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Maybe you missed it but Jeanie has been team President and not running the business since Dr. Buss died. She has been the person in charge of the team. Excuse her all you want but you cannot ignore the reality of the situation.

The reality is that Jim was in charge of basketball decisions and he got fired. You and I debated back and forth over how good or bad of a job Jim was doing. And why Jerry left Jim in charge. That Jim was doing a good job in your view, etc.

But not surprising that your narrative shifts now to cover for Jim.

Oh well. It doesn't matter now, does it? Since your boy got fired because he stunk at making basketball decisions.

Yeah. Fired.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:
Between Nwaba and Ennis, I have to give credit to the new regime for doing exactly what detractors of the old ones complained they didn't do: get rid of the Calderons and Huertas's and trying out some younger players to see if you can acquire potential rotation players. Obviously the jury's still out on whether Nwaba and Ennis can be that, but they certainly have more of a chance than a guy like Sacre.

Yeah, and while the popular criticisms of the old regime center on frontcourt acquisitions, in many ways they did their poorest work in the back court. Lacking a backup 1 who could run the same offense and instead handing out a 12.5 mil contract to a guy who duplicated another guy, and who couldn't get more than 5.5 on the market due to arenas rules.

I don't think the Clarkson deal was a bad one. I heard somewhere that teams had legit interest in Clarkson on his contract, so clearly they can offload it if they want. But yeah, I've reached the same conclusion as you that our biggest problem this year was a lack of a real bench point guard which forced Luke to run different stuff for the bench.

Lou is gone, and I'm at the point where I hope Clarkson will be gone as well (for an asset). I'm tired of him. But Ennis and Nwaba aren't answers for the bench either, unless Ennis continues to shoot 40% from 3 (which he won't). If the FO were wise, fixing up the bench backcourt would probably be the most cost-efficient way of improving the team.

IDK, Ennis could be a keeper at the back up point guard position. Kid is only 22 (same age as Julius) and now that he has gotten consistent minutes it looks like he might not be a bust after all. He was a clutch shooter in college. I hope we can re-sign him to a vet min deal in the off season.

Nwaba is surely a keeper. To me, these two guys are like extra draft picks, on cheap contracts- which is what we need because we have the damn Mozdeng contracts to deal with and lower capspace than anticipated.

Gosh darn those contracts. They look worse and worse.

I would love to be able to package one of them along with Clarkson like you said.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Maybe you missed it but Jeanie has been team President and not running the business since Dr. Buss died. She has been the person in charge of the team. Excuse her all you want but you cannot ignore the reality of the situation.

The reality is that Jim was in charge of basketball decisions and he got fired. You and I debated back and forth over how good or bad of a job Jim was doing. And why Jerry left Jim in charge. That Jim was doing a good job in your view, etc.

Oh well. It doesn't matter now, does it? Since your boy got fired because he stunk at making basketball decisions.

Yeah. Fired.

She should have fired them before the Mozdeng contracts. They are killing us now. Can you imagine if Jimbo didn't make that panic win now move at the expense of our future? Those contracts were directly related to the fact that his job was on the line due to his self inflicted playoff team deadline. The Lakers would be in a commanding position if we still had all of that cap space and our young core intact.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yeah. Fired.

She should have fired them before the Mozdeng contracts. They are killing us now. Can you imagine if Jimbo didn't make that panic win now move at the expense of our future? Those contracts were directly related to the fact that his job was on the line due to his self inflicted playoff team deadline. The Lakers would be in a commanding position if we still had all of that cap space and our young core intact.

I read somewhere, all the brothers/sisters decided to not use the cap on marginal players but then Jim panicked and handed out the contracts
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yeah. Fired.

Commanding what?
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yeah. Fired.

Commanding what?

Tanks of course! Probably not the best adjective. I should have just said a better position. I think if we had the same cap room that we did last season, and Magic making the pitch, we could have potentially attracted the coveted 2 top tier free agents that Jim and Mitch were always dreaming would join forces with the Lakers.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yeah. Fired.

I read somewhere, all the brothers/sisters decided to not use the cap on marginal players but then Jim panicked and handed out the contracts

Probably a Ding article. I don't know if it is true, but it sure sounds like it could be true.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yeah. Fired.

Probably a Ding article. I don't know if it is true, but it sure sounds like it could be true.

Yup, it was a Ding article, which means it probably came from Jeannie.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Believe whatever you want to believe to make you sleep better at night. Most of us know the real score.

Evidently not

Like everyone sees transparently -- you're changing your narrative. Again. Like you always do.

How's the Clippers by the way?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:

IDK, Ennis could be a keeper at the back up point guard position. Kid is only 22 (same age as Julius) and now that he has gotten consistent minutes it looks like he might not be a bust after all. He was a clutch shooter in college. I hope we can re-sign him to a vet min deal in the off season.

Nwaba is surely a keeper. To me, these two guys are like extra draft picks, on cheap contracts- which is what we need because we have the damn Mozdeng contracts to deal with and lower capspace than anticipated.

Gosh darn those contracts. They look worse and worse.

I would love to be able to package one of them along with Clarkson like you said.

Ennis looks good because it's garbage time of the season, teams don't give a (bleep) about us, and no one is scouting Tyler Ennis. And he's having a hot shooting streak in the midst of all that. I've recanted on the extent of my negativity vis-a-vis Ennis, but I am still taking a massive grain of salt when assessing what he's done this season.

That said, I would obviously love it if Ennis could keep up this level of play (and if we signed him to a dirt cheap contract), because finding a cheap but serviceable backup point guard is easier said than done. I'm just not sure his play will translate.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yeah. Fired.

She should have done what a good leader does, be involved with what was going on. Do you think Dr. Buss would have allowed those signings without his approval? Jeanie was either in charge or not, apparently she enjoys playing both sides of that conversation. And many here buy it lie after lie.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject:

How the NBA’s new salary cap projection affects the Lakers

The team has slightly less space than previously thought.

Quote:
The avenue to actually grab a max-caliber player just got every so slightly tighter, thanks to a change in the NBA’s estimated salary cap. Adrian Wojnarowski of the Vertical reported Thursday that “the NBA has delivered teams a new salary cap projection for the 2017-18 season” and that their projection is $101 million. As Wojnarowski notes, “the cap is $94.1M this season.”

Wojnarowki’s reported cap number is about $1 million less than prior projections, which wouldn’t mean very much if the Lakers didn’t already have such a perilous path to max level cap space.

Quote:
* Those Deng and Mozgov deals continue to look worse and worse by the day, and may haunt the Lakers for a while.*

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/4/6/15215580/la-lakers-free-agency-salary-cap-space-projection-paul-george-adrian-wojnarowski
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject:

You might also look at the Clarkson deal (11.9 instead of mle voluntarily) and the fact that they took back Brewer's 7.4 for this year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

How will they haunt the Lakers? By not being able to sign FAs that don't want to come here?
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
How will they haunt the Lakers? By not being able to sign FAs that don't want to come here?

we won't know that, thanks to your boys
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Any chance we start Randle and Nance next year (hypothetically if we had same roster)?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Any chance we start Randle and Nance next year (hypothetically if we had same roster)?
God I hope not
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

we won't know that, thanks to your boys

Yes we do, those boys were the only ones interested in this tanking franchise.
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject:

One directive for FO this summer: Don't trade Ice & Fire.

Besides #1, #14 yes all else are open game IF you get a good package. Honestly, I rather hold on to Nance, Randle, Zu unless we get a deal we couldn't pass or makes us better.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject:

I say they either keep the young players or trade most or all of them for the best vets they can get. Mixing some 28 yo vet with some under 22 yo young players would be the worst thing they can do.
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I say they either keep the young players or trade most or all of them for the best vets they can get. Mixing some 28 yo vet with some under 22 yo young players would be the worst thing they can do.

A win now vet movement works only if you get a Miami Heatles level collusion... er I mean convergence. Unless Magic can pull a Riles move and brings Durant, Westbrook, and Cousins somehow I don't really see the point.

I share the worry many have with this obsession to have an allstar in our roster by next ASG. The issues I have with our roster is our 2 horrendous FA signings last summer. I rather build around our young core with shooters and defenders. Now if we get #3 (and ball/foultz is off the table) and Suns want to trade Booker for #3 + JC? I'm in.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject:

It just dawned on me that the new regime probably aren't sweating about this pick. If they keep it, great! If not, it justifies their coup even more. If we lose this pick, the media in LA, especially Kevin Ding, they'll be on the ball reminding us why Mitch and Jim had to be let go.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Robinson
Brewer
Nwaba
Ennis

for all very different reasons, I like those 4 as the end of our bench guys.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Page 5 of 174
Jump to: