2017 AUS open - Fed back in the finals
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Wimbledon 2017

Federer down 15-40, TV commentators try to guess whether he's going to serve wide or down the T

https://streamable.com/npvib

Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject:

I think I might actually watch my first tennis match in years, hoping for it to be a titanic struggle.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject:

Congrats to Serena. There was some scratchy tennis from her in the beginning, but she really got her serve and nerves in order as the match went on. There were some openings for Venus, who was game, but she just wasn't quite good enough tonight. She probably had to get at least 60% of her first serves in, and she didn't serve that much higher than 50% on her first serve, I don't believe.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Serena did it. I am surprised but glad she won the Slam because I thought she had a problem with choking that would last. I really would like to see her win the French now because she could resume that Grand Slam year effort she choked against Vinci at the US Open a couple years ago. Wimbledon is her best surface, and the pressure would be back on at the USO. That would be the ultimate feat. She doesn't need to though - she's been the GOAT for a few years already IMO.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Congrats to Serena. I'm now prepared to give her my vote for GOAT in womens tennis. I had it with Steffi for all these years, but Serena now stands alone with 23 majors. Incredible.

I still remember when Venus first burst on the scene, and Richard, their Dad, said he thought Serena would be better and she hadn't even really played much yet if at all. What a career.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Congrats to Serena. I'm now prepared to give her my vote for GOAT in womens tennis. I had it with Steffi for all these years, but Serena now stands alone with 23 majors. Incredible.

I still remember when Venus first burst on the scene, and Richard, their Dad, said he thought Serena would be better and she hadn't even really played much yet if at all. What a career.

30 singles Slams between the 2 sisters, not to mention 14 Slam doubles titles.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject:

Federer and Nadal tied at one set apiece, with Federer up a break at 4-1 in the third. This has 5 sets written all over it, I think.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject:

Federer is up 2 sets to 1 and looks like the stronger player right now, but all it will take is one slip-up by him. Nadal knows he can beat Federer, so I don't think this is over. I still favor Nadal if this goes 5. Federer needs to close this out in 4, I think.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject:

Sure enough, Nadal has the early break in the 5th. Nadal is just playing his game, mostly letting Federer be the aggressor, simply not believing that Federer can keep up a great level for 5 sets. Even down 2 sets to 1, Nadal didn't deviate, and Fed's level dropped.

As the fifth set was about to start, I wrote on Twitter that I had no doubts whatsoever that Nadal won't have any doubts, but that I couldn't say the same for Federer. Nadal just knows how to beat this guy and has certain belief. I don't think that Federer does. That's why he had to win in 4.

We'll see if I'm right.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject:

After numerous chances, Federer finally got the break back! Now he's up 4-3, on serve, in the 5th.

High drama in Melbourne. The crowd is going nuts.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject:

Federer in 5! Incredible drama!

What a match. What a win.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject:

I kinda half watched half slept through the first three sets, but I'm glad I watched the finish. What an incredible 5th set. I thought Rafa had won it, with a break up and Roger struggling, but Roger dug deep, won a couple long rallies. Rafa was a point away from being up two games, missed a forehad iirc, and then fell apart. He managed to make it interesting in the end.

But long term, this is good news for Rafa, if he manages to avoid injuries. He's only a year older than Novak, and could win a couple French.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject:

Feel for Nadal, He is such a warrior. I hope he gets 10 at Roland Garros and I think he will.

But Roger has been in so many Semis and Finals the last few years. Finally broke through. Got 18. There's serious GOAT seperation now.

I won't lie, I thought Roger was toast in the 5th. Dropped the games early down 2-0. Nadal is so good historically against Roger in that situation. In the end Nadal's serve let him down a little. He couldn't get enough free points and Roger kept putting pressure.

Also at 5-3, man what a game. Roger goes down 15-40, struggles to close it. You know we all were thinking, here it is, Nadal's coming back.

Federer 18
Nadal 14
Djokovic 12 (I think)?

As Nadal and Djoker get older, they'll see how hard it is to reach Roger's 18 and mantain the consistency Roger has shown. The way Roger plays, it's so effecient, so much easier on the body, that other greats like Djoker and Nadal can't maintain that level when they exit their physical prime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
aachan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject:

Man, Roger had us fans watching from outside of the arena sweating, he had almost double the amount of unforced errors than Rafa did, his timely serves kept him in the game when it was looking like Rafa took control. So many momentum changes through each set with the exception of the 3rd. What a match.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Feel for Nadal, He is such a warrior. I hope he gets 10 at Roland Garros and I think he will.

But Roger has been in so many Semis and Finals the last few years. Finally broke through. Got 18. There's serious GOAT seperation now.

I won't lie, I thought Roger was toast in the 5th. Dropped the games early down 2-0. Nadal is so good historically against Roger in that situation. In the end Nadal's serve let him down a little. He couldn't get enough free points and Roger kept putting pressure.

Also at 5-3, man what a game. Roger goes down 15-40, struggles to close it. You know we all were thinking, here it is, Nadal's coming back.

Federer 18
Nadal 14
Djokovic 12 (I think)?

As Nadal and Djoker get older, they'll see how hard it is to reach Roger's 18 and mantain the consistency Roger has shown. The way Roger plays, it's so effecient, so much easier on the body, that other greats like Djoker and Nadal can't maintain that level when they exit their physical prime.

I really agree with that last paragraph. Fed's style has not been as grueling on the body. The rest of this year will tell the tale as to whether or not Djokovic is beginning to fade, or if this is just a blip on the radar. Djoker really hasn't been the same since winning the French last year.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Federer in 5! Incredible drama!

What a match. What a win.

That was epic! So glad I decided to watch. That was Roger's moment similar to when Sampras beat Agassi to win the US Open at the end of his career.

My hats off to Roger. He came up huge in the biggest moments of this match where he's so often fallen short in the past. That had to be the best I've ever seen him hit his backhand against Rafa in a major finals and he did it for the entire match.

USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Federer 18
Nadal 14
Djokovic 12 (I think)?

Same thoughts. We'll see.

Really happy to see Fed finally get #18.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject:

That was a great match. It was up and down. Federer's backhand was great. Rafa was hitting some great shots, and he is so ferocious that you can't ever count him out.

What makes their matchup so great is how opposite they really are. Their styles and even their demeanor are opposites, they are fire and ice.

I have so much respect for Rafa, and its really great that they both are very classy individuals. Really sucks one of them had to lose.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject:

Fed wins Indian Wells (def. Wawrinka and Nadal)

Fed wins Miami Open (def. Nadal in the final)
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject:

Fed to skip French & other clays

http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/39930092
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: