what do i need to create a mobile social media site?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: what do i need to create a mobile social media site?

friend has this idea of creating an online shop people can put in orders in the form of social media chats. i'm a total newbie comes to programming and coding, are there any templates out there we can use? how expensive to outsource this kind of project to someone? we're just brainstorming at this point.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject:

The easiest way imo is to use HTML5/AngularJS/Bootstrap. You code the website for different form factors, and you are basically done. Another option is to develop native apps for each platform (Android, iOS, etc.). This option will take longer unless you find a tool that can generate apps for different platforms using the same codebase.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject:

do what mark zuckerburg did. copy.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

you need some serious man hours and talent to build up something like that from the ground up. Before you go through that I think this plan needs some serious fleshing out before you burn time and money into development.It will be very hard to stay afloat with the big players dominating the social media market. Heck even google couldnt establish a decent foothold with google plus. Perhaps your best if you really think you have a killer idea is to leverage existing social media platforms
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: what do i need to create a mobile social media site?

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
friend has this idea of creating an online shop people can put in orders in the form of social media chats. i'm a total newbie comes to programming and coding, are there any templates out there we can use? how expensive to outsource this kind of project to someone? we're just brainstorming at this point.

Like letgo or Craigslist mobile?

Or an e-commerce platform where people discuss things while they buy them?

Last edited by lakerjoshua on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
you need some serious man hours and talent to build up something like that from the ground up. Before you go through that I think this plan needs some serious fleshing out before you burn time and money into development.It will be very hard to stay afloat with the big players dominating the social media market. Heck even google couldnt establish a decent foothold with google plus. Perhaps your best if you really think you have a killer idea is to leverage existing social media platforms

And this.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

And this.

Yes this. And if the idea had any legs of it's own, someone else would take it and run with it.

OP...dude...seriously?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject:

Pretty sure Siri already has you beat.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject:

Fwiw, there are already companies who do this sort of thing. For instance, there are companies who can integrate with facebook so that anyone who has an account can enter "buy" in the comments and it places the order.

People have been trying to drive commerce out of social for at least 5 yrs and failed. At some point, they will realize that social is generally a top of funnel play.

I cant remeber the exact quote, but I thought Mark Cuban had an interesting point on early stage tech companies not having a developer on hand. If you cant do it yourself, you're going to fail because every change, every fix, every feature enhancement, every new rollout will eat up all of your cash.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject:

not accusing the OP of this but as a software engineer I'm always getting harebrained ideas from friends and family thrown at me who then want me to dive head first into their half baked venture with absolutely no regard of the time I would have to invest to get something going and not even a good grasp on the industry they think they can somehow strike it big in
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: