Lakers future in the delusioned effectiveness of small ball era.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Sigh. Imo, style doesn't win you games. Playing an effective strategy based on the players you have does. I have not been much a fan of Luke this year.

But at the end of the day, the key is to play under a philosophy that maximizes your talent. If it is small ball, then so be it. If it is to play big, then so be it.

That was the mistake, IMO, teams made when they would go against us when we had Shaq. They tried to out Shaq us rather than find a way to play their game whether big or small.

That's why I thought the Kings were so good against us.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject:

I heard that the flip phone is making a comeback.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
If anything, we played too big this year. Deng's a PF and Young's a SF.

Good luck with the whole "Anthony Davis, Cousins, Embiid, Porky, Kat dominating the league" thing, cuz those dudes have all combined for 0 career playoff games so far.

To be fair, over half of those guys have only played for a couple of seasons or less. And Davis and Cousins have been surrounded by (bleep) talent since they entered the league til recently.

But I think maybe only three of those guys (AD, Embiid, and KAT) are truly generational big man talents, and it's hardly an NBA-wide trend to have a "unicorn" on that level. I'm sure these guys will anchor great teams in the future, but it's not like the Warriors, Cavs, and Spurs of the NBA won't be able to compete with them. Small ball is here to stay, all the old-timers need to get used to it.

Jokic is the true unicorn. I can't think of a better passer in the NBA.

I wonder how much he will ever improve defensively. On offense, what a monster.

No idea. Comprehensive stats love him because of the interaction between rebounds and assists plus he has a high STL%, but overcoming his lack of mobility while not being a rim protector is going to be tough. He's such a smart, skilled kid that I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to the Zaza Pachulia school of defense and eventually learns how to minimize some of his physical limitations on that end.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Good luck with the whole "Anthony Davis, Cousins, Embiid, Porky, Kat dominating the league" thing, cuz those dudes have all combined for 0 career playoff games so far.

Valid points in regards to Deng and Young being played out of position. However, those other young bigs are still developing, and them not having success in the playoffs shouldn't reflect negatively upon them personally. It takes a good team to be effective in the post season, and to even get there.

For sure, I just don't think the list of high usage bigs who've had team success in recent memory is particularly extensive. I don't envision a future where those guys are dominating the league in a meaningful way.

Even Pau was a demonstrably low usage big to the nth degree during our most recent run.

The trend has been a long time coming. People just didn't notice.

Actually Pau is a great example. People were mortified that a guy his size was playing C, and of course, everyone always gushed about how a guy like LO could thrive at PF. Nowadays Pau is clearly a C and then some, and LO could probably have been a C too on many teams.

Closing games with Horry at PF was an even earlier sign. Today Horry would be starting at PF and then move up to C with Glen Rice getting minutes at PF.

A Fish/Shaw/Kobe/Rice/Horry lineup would've been so much fun. Shame we didn't see it.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject:

Its really not one way or another. A coach has to be able to adapt from game to game, even in games. Sometimes going small will work. Sometimes going big will work. It is possible to compose a team of players who fit both styles. Both GS and the Cavs had a nice mix of guys last season.

I will say I think for these first 2 seasons Randle/Nance has mostly been ineffective but then most of what has been done has been ineffective. Real centers has not worked out all that great either.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Its really not one way or another. A coach has to be able to adapt from game to game, even in games. Sometimes going small will work. Sometimes going big will work. It is possible to compose a team of players who fit both styles. Both GS and the Cavs had a nice mix of guys last season.

I will say I think for these first 2 seasons Randle/Nance has mostly been ineffective but then most of what has been done has been ineffective. Real centers has not worked out all that great either.

Luke gave minutes to Zubac.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

GS plays small ball, but almost their entire roster can shoot and defend.

We pretend to play small ball with players that can't shoot to save their lives like Julius and Nance. I'm going even further because Dlo, JC and Ingram have a poor TS%, nobody really can't shoot when is not hot and those players are all bad defenders too, Nance is the only player that at least plays decent team defense, Dlo, JC, Julius and Ingram are all bellow average defenders in any aspect of this side of the ball.

Then we have another formula of success. LeBron is bringing his team to the finals for almost a decade, Westbrook is a triple double machine that is carrying his team to playoffs almost by himself, you swap Westbrook for Dlo and they are a 30 win team at best. Athletic freaks that knows how to play the game also have a niche in modern NBA as they had in the past. Well, our PG can't beat most centers of this league with his speed, I remember Vince Carter (the ancient) outrunning him in transition, so we can't also adopt this formula.

Our roster is too flawed as it is constructed, I don't think there is a system that could make us a playoff team without moving several pieces, but I don't believe small ball is the best strategy with the players we have, I really don't.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: