OFFICIAL GARY LANCE JR THREAD - traded :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 172, 173, 174 ... 219, 220, 221  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
I was thinking about this, and it may sound stupid, but is Nance is a deal-breaker if Indy asks for him as an auxiliary piece in a trade for PG13? Obviously he's not going to be the centerpiece of a trade, that's not the point of this question. But if we agreed on the framework of a deal involving either BI, DLo, OR the top 3 pick if we keep it and they insisted that Nance be thrown in as a side dish, would you seriously stop and think about it?

I think I'd ultimately pull the trigger, but I'd cry in the shower afterwards.

He's a luxury on a team as bad as the Lakers. But when the team gets good again, they'll be praying for a roleplayer as good as Larry.

Larry is a good role player on a championship team.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
For me, Larry Nance's best comp is Robert Horry. He's starting to play like that too. Love it.

Larry can aspire to be Horry, but likely won't get there.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
For me, Larry Nance's best comp is Robert Horry. He's starting to play like that too. Love it.

Larry can aspire to be Horry, but likely won't get there.

I'd rather him aspire to be 70-80% of Draymond on defense, which is doable for him and incredibly valuable.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

+1
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
I was thinking about this, and it may sound stupid, but is Nance is a deal-breaker if Indy asks for him as an auxiliary piece in a trade for PG13? Obviously he's not going to be the centerpiece of a trade, that's not the point of this question. But if we agreed on the framework of a deal involving either BI, DLo, OR the top 3 pick if we keep it and they insisted that Nance be thrown in as a side dish, would you seriously stop and think about it?

He's a luxury on a team as bad as the Lakers. But when the team gets good again, they'll be praying for a roleplayer as good as Larry.

Yes. Every team needs a player like him.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

Pop would absolutely love him on the Spurs.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Serena Winters: Luke Walton acknowledged it’s a small sample size (5 games), but that Larry Nance Jr. has done an “incredible” job in the starting lineup. 1 day ago – via Twitter SerenaWinter
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:
Serena Winters: Luke Walton acknowledged it’s a small sample size (5 games), but that Larry Nance Jr. has done an “incredible” job in the starting lineup. 1 day ago – via Twitter SerenaWinter
The starting unit definitely plays better with Nance than without him. Luke knows that. Hopefully he does something about it next season. Nance obviously won't start at center next year, so Randle has to be moved to the 2nd unit. I think he'd do well there, it would allow him to be more ball dominant and use his point forward skills.

Honestly though, since Deng's best position is PF, we could start Nance at PF and have Deng play backup PF. Losing Randle would have very little negative effects on the team. In fact, I think a Nance first unit PF, Deng second unit PF, would actually be an upgrade to our current situation. Better defense, better spacing.

Really hope the FO can find a way to trade Randle this offseason.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:

DUH
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:
The starting unit definitely plays better with Nance than without him. Luke knows that. Hopefully he does something about it next season. Nance obviously won't start at center next year, so Randle has to be moved to the 2nd unit. I think he'd do well there, it would allow him to be more ball dominant and use his point forward skills.

Honestly though, since Deng's best position is PF, we could start Nance at PF and have Deng play backup PF. Losing Randle would have very little negative effects on the team. In fact, I think a Nance first unit PF, Deng second unit PF, would actually be an upgrade to our current situation. Better defense, better spacing.

The (current) starting lineup is about as terrible with Nance as with Zubac
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject:

does anybody think Larry can actually last a full season playing starter minutes? He's always injuring his wrist or this or that. Coming off the bench and playing fewer minutes seems perfect for him.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
does anybody think Larry can actually last a full season playing starter minutes? He's always injuring his wrist or this or that. Coming off the bench and playing fewer minutes seems perfect for him.

Randle is averaging 29.1 minutes per game
Nance is averaging 22.6

a difference of 4.5 mpg
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

Never know until they try. There have been a lot of guys who had early injury problems that eventually got past them (Curry glass ankles).Nance played 63 games last season and has played 61 this season. Its not nearly as bad as some make it out to be.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

Nance is averaging 22.6

a difference of 4.5 mpg
recheck your calculations
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:

A lineup of Russell, Nick Young, Deng, Randle and Zubac has a pretty good net ratting/48 in a small sample size.

Clarkson is viewed as a perennial 6th man and I would not disagree with this statement, but 66% of our lineups with a positive net ratting have him. No other player appears in so many lineups outscoring opponents.

Nance usually does better in lineups with Clarkson and Ennis something that don't surprises me.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
dao wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

Yeah because there's no center. Replace Randle with a center and we'll be golden
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
tox wrote:

A lineup of Russell, Nick Young, Deng, Randle and Zubac has a pretty good net ratting/48 in a small sample size.

Clarkson is viewed as a perennial 6th man and I would not disagree with this statement, but 66% of our lineups with a positive net ratting have him. No other player appears in so many lineups outscoring opponents.

Nance usually does better in lineups with Clarkson and Ennis something that don't surprises me.

Yes, the starters with Zubac were good but that's on the basis of one game (the early Hawks game). Anyways I'm not sure why you pointed that out.

As far as Clarkson goes, I suspect those 66% of lineups include a whole lot of very similar lineups. e.g. replacing Ingram for Deng, replacing Nance for Randle, replacing Nance for Deng, etc. Bench lineups with him mostly playing with Williams, Ingram, Nance, and Black (give or take a player or two) have been good, and he's been terrible with the starters or with mixed units. That's why I'm concerned about him moving forward, because the starters ran closer the style of offense I imagine Luke hopes to run, as opposed to the simplified early action stuff the bench ran.

But yes, Nance is best as a finisher, and Clarkson's slashing type game is good for Nance, both for easy dump offs and for "Kobe assist" put backs. But I speculate he'd have been fine if he played in place of Randle in the starting lineup.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
tox wrote:
dao wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

Yeah because there's no center. Replace Randle with a center and we'll be golden
Yeah if that's the argument, I agree. Pending major defensive improvement from Randle (and to be fair, folks on LG are saying he has improved, though I haven't seen it), I'm officially done with the Randle/ Nance experiment.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
P.K. wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

Nance is averaging 22.6

a difference of 4.5 mpg
recheck your calculations

typo I didn't notice
that's what I get for touch typing on the number pad
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:

Yes, the starters with Zubac were good but that's on the basis of one game (the early Hawks game).

Actually 3 games, not just Hawks game as previously stated

Not a good sample size, but while we lost a bit of mobility Zubac is a better passer than Mozgov. Mozg turns the ball over way too much if you run the offense through him, he has to be the finisher. I believe Zubac is going to improve his mobility in the near future.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

I really don't understand Luke's resistance to it. Maybe he's just such a good, jovial guy that Luke doesn't have the heart to do it, but everything about his game screams 6th man to me. Even defensively he'd be able to expend more energy on a shorter minute count, which I suspect, other than the A.D.D. moments, is the main issue there. And I agree with Tox. It hasn't improved at all.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
tox wrote:

Yes, the starters with Zubac were good but that's on the basis of one game (the early Hawks game).

Not a good sample size, but while we lost a bit of mobility Zubac is a better passer than Mozgov. Mozg turns the ball over way too much if you run the offense through him, he has to be the finisher. I believe Zubac is going to improve his mobility in the near future.

That's weird, but I don't think it matters since it's 15 minutes whether spread out over 1 game or 3.

I agree on your evaluation on Zubac vs Mozgov. Their success with Moz this year (who also struggles in space) makes me pretty excited for what the unit could do with a 22 y/o Zu, who offers way more on offense. Not as excited with a 20 y/o Zu though -- I'm worried about how he'd fare on defense.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Nance last 5 games

mins: 29.2
FG: .538
3FG: .500
FT: .800
Rebounds: 9.6
Assists: 2.4
Blocks: 1
Steals: 2
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
nash wrote:
tox wrote:

That's weird, but I don't think it matters since it's 15 minutes whether spread out over 1 game or 3.

I agree on your evaluation on Zubac vs Mozgov. Their success with Moz this year (who also struggles in space) makes me pretty excited for what the unit could do with a 22 y/o Zu, who offers way more on offense. Not as excited with a 20 y/o Zu though -- I'm worried about how he'd fare on defense.

Moving Deng to the PF spot would help a lot IMHO, the problem is that I don't think Ingram is ready and I don't know if he is going to be next season. PG13 could help here
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Nance last 5 games

mins: 29.2
FG: .538
3FG: .500
FT: .800
Rebounds: 9.6
Assists: 2.4
Blocks: 1
Steals: 2

4 wins.

80% is almost GS good
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 172, 173, 174 ... 219, 220, 221  Next
Page 173 of 221
Jump to: