Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 302, 303, 304 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Anyone else pulling their hair out last night when the starters weren't put back in the game earlier in the 4th? I think they went in with about 4 mins to go. That's a tough spot to be put in with a game on the line.

The presence of MWP meant that it was a tank move anyway, so I wasn't bothered by it.

I'd agree except he did put the starters back in. Do you think he did that thinking it was a losing move?
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Anyone else pulling their hair out last night when the starters weren't put back in the game earlier in the 4th? I think they went in with about 4 mins to go. That's a tough spot to be put in with a game on the line.

The presence of MWP meant that it was a tank move anyway, so I wasn't bothered by it.

I'd agree except he did put the starters back in. Do you think he did that thinking it was a losing move?

I think Luke was trying to accommodate his desire to win and giving MWP the curtain call he thinks he deserves. Throw in his usual poor time management and feel for the game, and you get the late substitution and playing of MWP.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I think Luke was trying to accommodate his desire to win and giving MWP the curtain call he thinks he deserves. Throw in his usual poor time management and feel for the game, and you get the late substitution and playing of MWP.

I doubt that. I'm pretty sure he was straddling the line between tanking and either 1) appealing to the competitive instincts of the team or 2) giving the young guys experience in close games.

By #1, I mean that it's hard to motivate your team to play defense etc. if you end up getting benched for having the audacity to play well. #2 is self-evident.

Essentially Luke is pretty blatantly trying to tank, but contrary to what many on LG desire, he's not willing to do it at all costs. Even then, he kept MWP in for most of crunchtime.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I doubt that. I'm pretty sure he was straddling the line between tanking and either 1) appealing to the competitive instincts of the team or 2) giving the young guys experience in close games.

By #1, I mean that it's hard to motivate your team to play defense etc. if you end up getting benched for having the audacity to play well. #2 is self-evident.

Essentially Luke is pretty blatantly trying to tank, but contrary to what many on LG desire, he's not willing to do it at all costs. Even then, he kept MWP in for most of crunchtime.

Agreed, Luke has been blatantly tanking, but lo and behold, our scrubs actually play D and even though they are not too good on offense, they actually can stop the other team!
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm still as excited about Luke Walton as I was on day 1.

I had a problem with a few things like that "everyone gets 24 minutes" and thinking that our wins from Lou/Young actually meant anything but he's improved in both regards. He's not stubborn and he's dedicated to this game.

Also I like the prospect of our coach growing with our players like Pop starting off around the same time as Duncan.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject:

I'm sorry but Luke is a parody of himself in this shirt

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9LFgwIVwAANUax.jpg
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:
I don't know about you guys, but I'm still as excited about Luke Walton as I was on day 1.

I had a problem with a few things like that "everyone gets 24 minutes" and thinking that our wins from Lou/Young actually meant anything but he's improved in both regards. He's not stubborn and he's dedicated to this game.

Also I like the prospect of our coach growing with our players like Pop starting off around the same time as Duncan.

My excitement with Luke has waned considerably. There is little about what he has done this year that i hope to see again next year. Defense was awful, worst in a decade of any NBA team, the egalitarian mins distribution was puke worthy, robo subs no thanks, BLOB plays turrible.

The capper was when he decided to bench DLo. Then started him again 2-3 games later.

It kinda seems like he's learning as he goes here. Which I guess is understandable since he is a rookie coach, I was just hoping he'd be further along on some basic things.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Coaching on the NBA level is overrated, the keys are talent and effort.

Unfortunately, our squad has little of either.

Completely disagree. See Rockets, Houston.

If only we could get a coach like the Rockets have lol
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject:

Very good offensive flow. Big improvement comparing to last year. We can score 100+ and win without Russell now, even with all young players except MWP. And we can set up specific player like MWP in a game now. It's a big improvement too. It looks like we are a young Warrirs, shooting not that good, but more athletic

Can we score 110+ next season.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject:

Despite everything we've improved almost 10 games over last season. I think Luke has done a pretty good job overall.

We nearly matched the wolves total from last year and about 5 less this year....a team with 2 #1 picks, solid young players and a well respected veteran coach. A team that most experts see as one of the most talented team in terms of young players and one of the next up and coming teams. Think about that.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Phx was getting blown out.. it didn't matter if we won or lost
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

Curious if anyone else saw the exchange Walton had with the players when he was putting Nance in for MWP in the fourth. And if you interpreted I the same way I did?

To me it looked like MWP was walking to the bench and some players started telling him to stay in. Nance showed some confusion and started walking back to the bench when Walton told him to go back to the scorers table and check in.

Talked to MWP. Pulled him for a few minutes then put him back in to finish the game.

Subtle but if it occurred as I saw it I like that Walton asserted his will. Basically a "I'm the HC and I will make the decisions" moment. Establishing that player accountability is important IMO.

Anyone else see it or am I creating an entire scenario out of nothing.

I am giving Walton a bit of leeway as a first year HC. Overall i like what he brought this year. He managed a tough situation fairly well. But as we expect growth from the players, I will expect growth from him too.

Lakers have to improve the defense. At some point the coaches have to be held accountable for the poor results as much as the players. I am going to have confidence that Walton figures it out.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

Even with the blatant blatant tank, we have won a lot more games than last year. Now that we have some defenders on the roster, we are actually holding some teams below 100.

Offense is 100 times prettier than last year and you can tell it is just a few pages of the playbook. Hopefully more will be used next season.

Getting rid of Lou helped the most, good move by the FO. The kids had to learn on their own and we can see BI and DLO stepping up where they would have retreated before. Lots of growth over these past 2 weeks.

Tough tough year after a beautiful start. To me, ending on this winning streak shows that the Lakers listen to Luke and believe in what he is preaching. He is a good coach and will just get better.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject:

I've been really tough on Luke this year, but after a rough stretch of losing/tanking, I like what he's been doing the past few games. It seems like we've been trying to win (or, at least, not actively trying to lose), and the team has looked a lot better on both ends of the floor (even discounting the fact some of the teams we've beaten are already in Cancun).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Curious if anyone else saw the exchange Walton had with the players when he was putting Nance in for MWP in the fourth. And if you interpreted I the same way I did?

To me it looked like MWP was walking to the bench and some players started telling him to stay in. Nance showed some confusion and started walking back to the bench when Walton told him to go back to the scorers table and check in.

Talked to MWP. Pulled him for a few minutes then put him back in to finish the game.

Subtle but if it occurred as I saw it I like that Walton asserted his will. Basically a "I'm the HC and I will make the decisions" moment. Establishing that player accountability is important IMO.

Anyone else see it or am I creating an entire scenario out of nothing.

I am giving Walton a bit of leeway as a first year HC. Overall i like what he brought this year. He managed a tough situation fairly well. But as we expect growth from the players, I will expect growth from him too.

Lakers have to improve the defense. At some point the coaches have to be held accountable for the poor results as much as the players. I am going to have confidence that Walton figures it out.

Yeah, Randle was cajoling Luke to let MWP stay in and Luke put his foot down. I didn't know if he was going to cave, but I'm glad he didn't. Last night was fun, and Luke wants his guys to have fun, but that helps set the tone for down the line when there's more at stake and guys want to call the shots.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Luke has still low key been doing the everyone gets minutes system, but this time he has the injury excuse and he was doing evaluation. Still though, please don't do this dumb (bleep) next eason
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject:

I think the main problem I have with Luke, is the way he assembled his coaching staff. Not nearly enough knowledge, experience, & versatility. I'm not sure I like anyone of his staff, not even Shaw. Murmuys is okay I guess.

It's arguable that Luke has more knowledge than anyone on his staff in all aspects of the game and coaching. For being 37, that's not a good thing as I don't think there's anyone capable of offering anything that Luke himself can't. Definitely need an upgrade and add a proven, knowledgeable, defensive minded figure who can give these young guys a different perspective.

I like Luke though and hope he continues to grow as stays here and becomes very successful. not sure how much he can grow though with the guys around him. His staff seems like one built as a comfort zone rather than one seeking to pushing to win.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Mike Trudell: Steve Kerr said he and Luke talk “all the time,” including at lunch today. They “bounce stuff off each other,” are “really close friends.” 13 hours ago – via Twitter LakersReporter
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

Luke nearly lead us to the same record we had under D'Antoni where he maximized the talent we had. Consider the fact we also had Pau in that roster.

Luke just near matched that with 1st and 2nd year guys and with the youth playing the last games of the season ended on a 5 game winning streak and a 5-1 record to finish the season with as the team seemed to finally turn the corner and recapture that confidence and swagger they had earlier in the season.

That bodes really well. If we're a near 27 win team with all the injuries that threw off chemistry, and kids starting to come into their own and find themselves, then I'd say we could be anywhere from a 37 to 43 win team next season if we kept our core youth and just strengthened the veteran spots.

Near 10 game improvement means we're headed in the right direction.

If we were healthy this year we probably would have been a 30+ win team this season and THAT is a major improvement.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:

With a spot on the coaching staff now open would like to see Luke bring in Jerry Stackhouse on the staff
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Luke nearly lead us to the same record we had under D'Antoni where he maximized the talent we had. Consider the fact we also had Pau in that roster.

Luke just near matched that with 1st and 2nd year guys and with the youth playing the last games of the season ended on a 5 game winning streak and a 5-1 record to finish the season with as the team seemed to finally turn the corner and recapture that confidence and swagger they had earlier in the season.

That bodes really well. If we're a near 27 win team with all the injuries that threw off chemistry, and kids starting to come into their own and find themselves, then I'd say we could be anywhere from a 37 to 43 win team next season if we kept our core youth and just strengthened the veteran spots.

If we were healthy this year we probably would have been a 30+ win team this season and THAT is a major improvement.

Yeah Luke also had 3 lottery picks to work with.

Danotni had Kendall, Shawne Williams, Steve Blake, Nick Young, Kent Bazemore and Jodie Meeks...

Very hard to compare.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
MJST wrote:

Danotni had Kendall, Shawne Williams, Steve Blake, Nick Young, Kent Bazemore and Jodie Meeks...

Very hard to compare.

You forgot Kobe, of course.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
MJST wrote:

Very hard to compare.

You forgot Kobe, of course.

wait kobe that played 6 games?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject:

Kobe played more than 6 games for MDA.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Kobe played more than 6 games for MDA.

yes the season where he tore his Achilles they won 45 games...

the conversation was in reference to the season after where Kobe played only 6 games they won 27 games...

Which the OP was referencing Lukes record vs Dantonis
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 302, 303, 304 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 303 of 818
Jump to: