Aaron Hernandez acquitted by jury in double murder case (but he's still behind bars after conviction in earlier case)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Aaron Hernandez acquitted by jury in double murder case (but he's still behind bars after conviction in earlier case)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19159319/jury-acquits-ex-new-england-patriots-tight-end-aaron-hernandez-double-murder-trial

Also acquitted of shooting government's primary witness in the face. Convicted on gun possession charge, though ...
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject:

any chance he ever gets out of prison? seems like he will be in there forever as it is..
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
any chance he ever gets out of prison? seems like he will be in there forever as it is..

Doubt it. This was for a different set or murders. He's still serving life for the other murder he was found guilty on.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject:

exactly. so he gets to serve 1 life sentence instead of 2? who cares? he's still never getting out.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

Doubt it. This was for a different set or murders. He's still serving life for the other murder he was found guilty on.

I haven't spent much time following the various Hernandez cases, but I just read what seems to be an interesting development arising from this acquittal earlier today ... apparently, the only credible motive offered by the government in the earlier murder case was the notion that Hernandez wanted to silence someone (Lloyd) with direct knowledge of his involvement/culpability in the instant case. Therefore, now that he's been acquitted in the double murder case, does that argued motive look shakier now in an appellate setting ... ?

I don't know. I doubt it matters, but it may be something that provides Hernandez and his loved ones with some hope ...
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
exactly. so he gets to serve 1 life sentence instead of 2? who cares? he's still never getting out.

One part of the "who cares?" question is the idea that with this acquittal, it's reasonable to wonder whether there may be someone who committed double murder running around ...

More likely than not, the actual assailant was the government's primary witness. And he's in custody for a few more years. Otherwise, it may have been Hernandez, but I'm guessing not ...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

One part of the "who cares?" question is the idea that with this acquittal, it's reasonable to wonder whether there may be someone who committed double murder running around ...

More likely than not, the actual assailant was the government's primary witness. And he's in custody for a few more years. Otherwise, it may have been Hernandez, but I'm guessing not ...

Hernandez did it, they just didn't convict.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
the association wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

Exactly, this is pretty obvious if you look at the evidence. Sometimes jurors don't get the "reasonable doubt" issue. It is obvious he killed these two poor guys for literally no reason.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:

Basically it a nutshell

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
the association wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

Exactly, this is pretty obvious if you look at the evidence. Sometimes jurors don't get the "reasonable doubt" issue. It is obvious he killed these two poor guys for literally no reason.

What was the compelling evidence?

In my casual reading about this case (again, I haven't spent much time following either of the murder cases), the government's supposed best "evidence" was:

(1) the testimony of a career criminal currently in custody, who struck a deal with the government after he publicly vowed to "get revenge" against Hernandez (and who also exhibited serial dishonesty throughout the entire process, as evidenced by his changing claims re: the identify of the person who shot him in the face); and

(2) the argument that a tattoo that Hernandez acquired after the murders was a nod to his guilt, which seems specious (at best).

What the (bleep) - I repeat, what the (bleep) - if that's the best the government had on him. But that simply can't be the case ... so what else did they have (that nobody has apparently discussed in the media) that was admitted at trial ... ?

I'm assuming Hernandez or the government star witness / driver (and more likely the latter) shot these two men, but what was the compelling evidence against Hernandez that somehow failed to convince a jury to convict ... ?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
the association wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

What was the compelling evidence?

In my casual reading about this case (again, I haven't spent much time following either of the murder cases), the government's supposed best "evidence" was:

(1) the testimony of a career criminal currently in custody, who struck a deal with the government after he publicly vowed to "get revenge" against Hernandez (and who also exhibited serial dishonesty throughout the entire process, as evidenced by his changing claims re: the identify of the person who shot him in the face); and

(2) the argument that a tattoo that Hernandez acquired after the murders was a nod to his guilt, which seems specious (at best).

What the (bleep) - I repeat, what the (bleep) - if that's the best the government had on him. But that simply can't be the case ... so what else did they have (that nobody has apparently discussed in the media) that was admitted at trial ... ?

I'm assuming Hernandez or the government star witness / driver (and more likely the latter) shot these two men, but what was the compelling evidence against Hernandez that somehow failed to convince a jury to convict ... ?

You're a defense attorney's dream (that's not meant offensively). You're buying into their tricks.

Hernandez was a criminal himself. Every bit the "gangbanger" that his defense attorney portrayed the victims as.

Making a plea deal doesn't mean you are lying. Another tactic of defense attorneys - "He's helping himself, he MUST be lying".

Who gets a tattoo that is about expending bullets into other people if they aren't someone who advocates or engages in such activity?

Defense attorneys hope that if they can poke some doubt into a few pieces of the evidence, jurors will lose the forest for the trees and acquit because they ignore the overall body of evidence, which is what happened here.

The biggest piece of evidence that Hernandez is guilty? If he wasn't, why would he feel the need to try and murder the key witness against him?

Too many jurors make the mistake of assuming that "reasonable doubt" means using a couple of pieces questionable evdence to mean that the overwhelming evidence is meaningless. It's the flawed thinking that saw OJ Simpson walkaway after being obviously guilty of murdering two people including the mother of his children.

Look at the over all narrative of BOTH the cases Hernandez was prosecuted for. The connections are clear. He's a violent sleaze ball with a short fuse and no concern for anyone else's life.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
You're a defense attorney's dream (that's not meant offensively). You're buying into their tricks.

Hernandez was a criminal himself. Every bit the "gangbanger" that his defense attorney portrayed the victims as.

Making a plea deal doesn't mean you are lying. Another tactic of defense attorneys - "He's helping himself, he MUST be lying".

Who gets a tattoo that is about expending bullets into other people if they aren't someone who advocates or engages in such activity?

Defense attorneys hope that if they can poke some doubt into a few pieces of the evidence, jurors will lose the forest for the trees and acquit because they ignore the overall body of evidence, which is what happened here.

The biggest piece of evidence that Hernandez is guilty? If he wasn't, why would he feel the need to try and murder the key witness against him?

Too many jurors make the mistake of assuming that "reasonable doubt" means using a couple of pieces questionable evdence to mean that the overwhelming evidence is meaningless. It's the flawed thinking that saw OJ Simpson walkaway after being obviously guilty of murdering two people including the mother of his children.

Look at the over all narrative of BOTH the cases Hernandez was prosecuted for. The connections are clear. He's a violent sleaze ball with a short fuse and no concern for anyone else's life.

I get that Hernandez isn't an altar boy, DMR. I guess he would have been convicted of murder (2x) or accessory to murder in this case, if our system was based on all available facts (known or unknown). But seriously, where's the actual evidence ... ? I simply cannot believe that someone as sensible as you can actually see the aspects of "evidence" we've discussed thus far being sufficient to convict someone of murder. A defense attorney's dream or not, I wouldn't be able to convict someone based on narrative alone. Unless there's substantially more evidence that relates to this crime (i.e., beyond character questions re: Hernandez in unrelated matters), I don't see it.

Where's the beef ... ?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I get that Hernandez isn't an altar boy, DMR. I guess he would have been convicted of murder (2x) or accessory to murder in this case, if our system was based on all available facts (known or unknown). But seriously, where's the actual evidence ... ? I simply cannot believe that someone as sensible as you can actually see the aspects of "evidence" we've discussed thus far being sufficient to convict someone of murder. A defense attorney's dream or not, I wouldn't be able to convict someone based on narrative alone. Unless there's substantially more evidence that relates to this crime (i.e., beyond character questions re: Hernandez in unrelated matters), I don't see it.

Where's the beef ... ?

I'd have no problem convicting Hernandez. It's "reasonable doubt", not "without a doubt".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

As long you don't plea guilty, you can always appeal.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Aside from this acquittal. I think the guy who took Hernandez phone and was instructed to destroy Hernandez phone was the guy who pulled the trigger on the Odin Lloyd.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Him and Javaris are the two most recent idiots to throw away a professional sports career and easy life to act hard.......
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Stay away from criminals at best.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: