LAKERS EXIT INTERVIEW THREAD (2017 edition)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
rob tells too much of the laker's plan, in my opinion.

he didnt say we are going to pay hayward max or trade for PG13?
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

I don't recall hearing any specifics. What stuck out?
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

CaCHooKa_Man wrote:
Here's a playlist for the interviews:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX3mzwTmJ2-iOM_Cxna65_TPL8cB1F2X4

Thank you C Man
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

The part where he said he wants to make the team better. That was way too much information to divulge - IMO, it was Rob's trump card - and now the rest of the league knows it and will take advantage of us...
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

Really? I didn't get anything specific about his plan at all.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

DangeRuss wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Really? I didn't get anything specific about his plan at all.

Yeah, it's not like he's saying we are gonna trade for this guy... any franchise that misses the playoffs for 4 straight years, gives the right to get fans excited.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
epak wrote:
I don't know if everything Rob says is true, but man he's making me a believer.

He's the guy who came in who I have the most belief in from an ability standpoint. He's really smart and knows the league and knows how to sell and negotiate. The key will be can he switch sides and have the same effect (it is easier being a seller in a sellers market, and he's got to work with guys who may not like him), and will he have the ability to make the right calls on the draft and such.

Buyer side is a little different, but he's got a pretty strong hand in LA if he can manage up enough to keep ownership from getting antsy or liking the sound of their own voices too much (I know, Magic and Jeanie seem to love their own voices). But Pelinka's an ace. He knows what it's going to take. J&M might make him take a couple detours (and he might even throw a couple their way just to feed the beast while the real planning takes place). But the dysfunction is no longer the predicating factor.

As for others not liking him or holding a grudge, money talks.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
JC's interviews really match his on-court playing style.

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

he may not have but its more talking then us old head fans are use to.

the funny thing is. people killed jimbo for not talking about it/telling the plan to the fans. or as the call it, giving the fans the direction the lakers were going in. when in reality neither did his father doc buss, nor mitch in any of those winning eras. The best part of the lakers moves were that they were somewhat sneaky. You may have heard some rumblings. but even in the current era. mitch kept things pretty quiet and close to the vest.

This era of fan can't take that. so now we have to tell everyone our plan or at least a general portion of it. This does somewhat expose you to possibly having to give up more to get what you want because all the Gm's will catch that media headline about what rob (the lakers Gm) just said about what direction the lakers are going in and what they are looking for. but the fans pay the prices so you guys get what you want. a regime that talks a lot more than we have in the past. I just hope it doesnt backfire on us at any point.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

The part where he said he wants to make the team better. That was way too much information to divulge - IMO, it was Rob's trump card - and now the rest of the league knows it and will take advantage of us...

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
tox wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
HOF Rookie wrote:
Listening to tarick speak is such a joy. He's sharp, upbeat, realistic. He's going to be a a great coach, front office guy, or anything he wants to be one day.

you are right, that was the best interview of the day

Listening right now. Really liked Randle's and Rob's, but you guys are right. Tarik's is great so far as well

honestly i like Rob and how articulate he is

Same. I liked Mitch a lot, but man was he dry and boring. Rob's such a breath of fresh air. He also refuted most of the things that concern me about Magic and Jeanie, so I like him for that.
dry and boring kept all other gm's out of the loop on what we were trying to do. i could care less if my GM is fun to listen to or not. i'm watching my players, not the GM. but again like i said in my previous post. you newer type fans(not saying you're new, but its a new type of fan) always want to know whats going on. Me personally i didnt. just pull off the magic moves behind the scenes to give me the players i will love to watch. be as dry as possible so not to show your hand. Mitch, Doc buss, Jerry west, even jimbo had great poker faces. now we are in the era of showing your hand to some degree and lets hope our new FO is so much smarter than all other teams to the point it wont matter if we show some of our hand or not.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

i'm not talking about trades, free agency, draft, but he talked about putting in place a wellness coordinator and what it entails. he talked about enrichment program from the titans of business, etc... him and magic were doing a lot of talking of what they wanna do in their introduction. magic went on a media tour talking about his plan of what he wanted to do. these 2 just talk too much.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

i'm not talking about trades, free agency, draft, but he talked about putting in place a wellness coordinator and what it entails. he talked about enrichment program from the titans of business, etc... him and magic were doing a lot of talking of what they wanna do in their introduction. magic went on a media tour talking about his plan of what he wanted to do. these 2 just talk too much.

ironic that the guy named outspoken thinks that lol but I don't think they've given anything away yet. These are probably just 2 of mannnnny ideas they're yet to share/will not.

Besides, putting out stuff like this gets to other agents and as a result players/free agents.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

That's good they talk. It will get FAs attention.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

splashmtn wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

the funny thing is. people killed jimbo for not talking about it/telling the plan to the fans. or as the call it, giving the fans the direction the lakers were going in. when in reality neither did his father doc buss, nor mitch in any of those winning eras. The best part of the lakers moves were that they were somewhat sneaky. You may have heard some rumblings. but even in the current era. mitch kept things pretty quiet and close to the vest.

This era of fan can't take that. so now we have to tell everyone our plan or at least a general portion of it. This does somewhat expose you to possibly having to give up more to get what you want because all the Gm's will catch that media headline about what rob (the lakers Gm) just said about what direction the lakers are going in and what they are looking for. but the fans pay the prices so you guys get what you want. a regime that talks a lot more than we have in the past. I just hope it doesnt backfire on us at any point.

this.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

ironic that the guy named outspoken thinks that lol but I don't think they've given anything away yet. These are probably just 2 of mannnnny ideas they're yet to share/will not.

Besides, putting out stuff like this gets to other agents and as a result players/free agents.

it is ironic, right lol... I understand that fans want to know every single thing about what the lakers are doing, their plan, etc, but I like when lakers kept things behind closed doors. with jeanie and magic, they are the opposite of concealed lips.

Last edited by Outspoken on Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
defense wrote:
You guys feel like Deng will start next season? I get kinda down thinking I might have to watch the same starters minus Young.

No way. Unless we are trading Jules and Deng then becomes a full time PF.

It's sad, and actually really poor planning by Mitch/Jim, that Deng's best position now is probably PF. This was something that had already become somewhat clear by the end of his last season with the Heat - playing a good chunk of his minutes at PF in small ball lineups was where he was likely headed to finish out his career. Yet here we were with two young prospects who needed minutes at the same position, but had the bright idea to sign him anyway to a big long-term deal. It's not even the dollar amount that bugs me most, it's the lack of thought and foresight that went into the signing.

Things like this are why you look back at the previous regime, and don't feel bad at all about how they were forced out.
oh boy. here we go again. the reason we signed deng and mos were not about getting to the playoffs or anything like that. they really were signed to be solid vets around the kids. yes we paid them a lot. thats because the floor rose a lot due to the new cba. if that were not the case we would not have paid them that much. yes we gave them a ton of years. again. that was also done on purpose for one they would not have come here with a bunch of children just to be a vet guy on the bench once it was time to turn all mins over to the kids. a lot of players can turn into cancers if they were asked to sit for the kids more and more as the season goes on. deng, mos are not those types of vets.

in addition. we needed to sign someone to high contracts jusssst in case we were able to run a trade at some point. you have to have someone worth real month in order to trade for big fish. you cant trade guys on rookie or 3rd year deals and not have some over paid vets to toss in their to make the salaries match.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

this.

Mitch and Jim were so sneaky, they stole Mozgov on the first day of signing leaving every suitor emptyhanded. They were so sneaky, that we got Luol Deng before anybody could negotiate with him.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
tox wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
tox wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
HOF Rookie wrote:
Listening to tarick speak is such a joy. He's sharp, upbeat, realistic. He's going to be a a great coach, front office guy, or anything he wants to be one day.

Listening right now. Really liked Randle's and Rob's, but you guys are right. Tarik's is great so far as well

Same. I liked Mitch a lot, but man was he dry and boring. Rob's such a breath of fresh air. He also refuted most of the things that concern me about Magic and Jeanie, so I like him for that.
dry and boring kept all other gm's out of the loop on what we were trying to do. i could care less if my GM is fun to listen to or not. i'm watching my players, not the GM. but again like i said in my previous post. you newer type fans(not saying you're new, but its a new type of fan) always want to know whats going on. Me personally i didnt. just pull off the magic moves behind the scenes to give me the players i will love to watch. be as dry as possible so not to show your hand. Mitch, Doc buss, Jerry west, even jimbo had great poker faces. now we are in the era of showing your hand to some degree and lets hope our new FO is so much smarter than all other teams to the point it wont matter if we show some of our hand or not.

I actually wasn't criticizing Mitch as a GM on the basis of him being dry and taciturn. I just meant hearing Rob interview is such a nice change when it comes to hearing him talk-- independent of whether I think that's actually a good or bad thing for the Lakers, it's a good thing for me as a listener. Note the distinction. As has been noted on this thread, Rob didn't really divulge anything during his interview, so I'm not sure why you're suggesting the Lakers showed their hand.

I have problems with Magic not shutting his mouth about trade offers about Clarkson and Lou around the trade deadline, but I don't blame Rob for that.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
defense wrote:
You guys feel like Deng will start next season? I get kinda down thinking I might have to watch the same starters minus Young.

No way. Unless we are trading Jules and Deng then becomes a full time PF.

It's sad, and actually really poor planning by Mitch/Jim, that Deng's best position now is probably PF. This was something that had already become somewhat clear by the end of his last season with the Heat - playing a good chunk of his minutes at PF in small ball lineups was where he was likely headed to finish out his career. Yet here we were with two young prospects who needed minutes at the same position, but had the bright idea to sign him anyway to a big long-term deal. It's not even the dollar amount that bugs me most, it's the lack of thought and foresight that went into the signing.

Things like this are why you look back at the previous regime, and don't feel bad at all about how they were forced out.
oh boy. here we go again. the reason we signed deng and mos were not about getting to the playoffs or anything like that. they really were signed to be solid vets around the kids. yes we paid them a lot. thats because the floor rose a lot due to the new cba. if that were not the case we would not have paid them that much. yes we gave them a ton of years. again. that was also done on purpose for one they would not have come here with a bunch of children just to be a vet guy on the bench once it was time to turn all mins over to the kids. a lot of players can turn into cancers if they were asked to sit for the kids more and more as the season goes on. deng, mos are not those types of vets.

in addition. we needed to sign someone to high contracts jusssst in case we were able to run a trade at some point. you have to have someone worth real month in order to trade for big fish. you cant trade guys on rookie or 3rd year deals and not have some over paid vets to toss in their to make the salaries match.

man! You drank like... 10 gallons of the Kool Aid Mitch and Jim were selling and then asked for another round... did Chaz drop off an extra kegger for those times you might start to question any of what you just wrote?
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

this.

Mitch and Jim were so sneaky, they stole Mozgov on the first day of signing leaving every suitor emptyhanded. They were so sneaky, that we got Luol Deng before anybody could negotiate with him.

luke is the person that wanted moz and said do what they have to do to get him. nothing wrong with the signings. it's just superstar, all star or bust for some of y'all, not good role players that isn't gonna take away from the growth of the young players. where as others are quick to say sign this "x" bum like lance stephenson. gerald green. while others act like they are psychics and know when players are gonna turn out good, upset we didn't sign them; like isaiah thomas - when he got traded to the celtics "he wanted to come here " a rebuild takes time and there's several pieces to a puzzle. some of y'all just hate putting the puzzle together, but wanna see the big picture.

Last edited by Outspoken on Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
2019 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

it is ironic, right lol... I understand that fans want to know every single thing about what the lakers are doing, their plan, etc, but I like when lakers kept things behind closed doors. with jeanie and magic, they are the opposite of concealed lips.

You're not understanding Rob's level of influence and what he can accomplish. By speaking about the team and the buzz going around about players wanting to play for the Lakers, he already created that thought in other players' minds - even if it's not true. He's starting a culture of "I want to play for Lakers" which hasn't been the case the last few years.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject:

let's just hope the new FO doesn't try to 'steal' Melo from the Knicks...

Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
tox wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
tox wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
HOF Rookie wrote:

What exactly did rob show?

Much about nothing
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Ah, I see. Those items didn't bother me. From his background as an agent, I think he's modernizing our pitch/recruiting which was behind the times. To me that's not giving away strategy. That's stuff we'll hear over and over along with our new facility as we change the narrative about the org.

The wellness issue I think is us actually playing catch up with some of the more progressive teams. The Titans thing is giving free agents something that you can't get in smaller markets...again this is changing the narrative about the org. I've got no issues with Pelinka doing a ton of that. He seems pretty calculated in what he's saying.

Magic, however, does make me nervous.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14
Jump to: