Better Call Saul - Season 3 - Returns April 10th! (Hidden "Spoiler" Inside)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject:

I thought the flash-forward was great. Seeing Saul punching the clock and brown bagging it at the mall was humbling. You feel for the guy, or at least I did. Such a mundane and empty life. He had all this potential and he's ended up at Cinnabon, working with teenagers at the mall. AND he's balding, badly. Then he shows he's still got some fire in his belly... AFTER he rats out the kid.

Realizing what Mike was doing and seeing it all fall into place was awesome.

Chuck is starting to annoy the hell out of me. Great acting, because he's so convincing... but he just needs to keel over already. I see Jimmy just losing his shtt one day dealing with all Chuck's crap (irony) and accidentally sending Chuck to an early grave.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
I thought the flash-forward was great. Seeing Saul punching the clock and brown bagging it at the mall was humbling. You feel for the guy, or at least I did. Such a mundane and empty life. He had all this potential and he's ended up at Cinnabon, working with teenagers at the mall. AND he's balding, badly. Then he shows he's still got some fire in his belly... AFTER he rats out the kid.

Realizing what Mike was doing and seeing it all fall into place was awesome.

Chuck is starting to annoy the hell out of me. Great acting, because he's so convincing... but he just needs to keel over already. I see Jimmy just losing his shtt one day dealing with all Chuck's crap (irony) and accidentally sending Chuck to an early grave.

That would certainly be something that would send Jimmy over to the Dark Side that is Saul.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

Loved the scene where Kim has Jimmy give her a dollar as to keep everything confidential and legal which BB fans will remember Saul used the same tactic in the desert
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

lakeshow03 wrote:
Loved the scene where Kim has Jimmy give her a dollar as to keep everything confidential and legal which BB fans will remember Saul used the same tactic in the desert

Yeah out of all the callbacks in the ep I liked that one too. Enjoyed jimmy telking chuck off condequences be damned. He should have never looked back, his brother obviously has no regard for him.....
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject:

ani007 wrote:
lakeshow03 wrote:

Yeah out of all the callbacks in the ep I liked that one too. Enjoyed jimmy telking chuck off condequences be damned. He should have never looked back, his brother obviously has no regard for him.....

Wow good memory.

I loved the scene with Ernesto and Kim as well. The acting across the board is simply top notch.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject:

(bleep) good episode

"No wonder your wife left you, what took her so long?"

And so passes Jimmy McGill
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:16 am    Post subject:

most of the better call saul episodes feel like the second half is better than the first half
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject:

FRANCESCA!!!!

VICTOR!!!!!

We got TWO character call backs. Victor could be one would foresee, but I never would have thought of Francesca.

GREAT freakin' episode.

First of all, the first two acts of the episode was some of the most brilliant cinematography and editing one could hope to see on TV or anywhere. The shots and sequences of them on the bridge and spillway as Mike reverse tracks his trackers was gorgeously crafted. Not a wasted frame or composition. I watched it twice with no sound just to absorb it.

The attention to detail was amazing (as always). From the aforementioned "put a dollar in my pocket" reference to the way they slowly revealed Gus teh same way did in Breaking bad.

And then the slow burn of seeing Jimmy peeling the tape of the freshly painted wall the way Chuck told him to in the last episode to him ripping it off and thus peeling the paint before he storms off to confront Chuck just the way Chuck told Howard he would.

Loved the whole Mike getting burned thing as well. The phone on the gas cap bit in the middle of the desert was perfect BB stuff.

Granted that BCS has the whole BB franchise to build on and the writers have a wealth of information to utilize, but BCS is definitely becoming my favorite of the two shows.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
most of the better call saul episodes feel like the second half is better than the first half

AS I said above, the teaser and act 1 of this episode were AMAZING! They may not have rolled out a wealth of information, but that's the very point. There's a long slow path to getting anything meaningful, and the sequence that leads Mike to Los Pollos was gorgeous and riveting.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
(bleep) good episode

"No wonder your wife left you, what took her so long?"

And so passes Jimmy McGill

The descent is in brakeless mode now.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Still loving this show. You can tell that BSC comes from the family of BB, but, at the same time, it has its own identity. It just vibrates on a different wavelength... a little more humor, tongue in cheek moments. A whole lot of irony and characters with more depth, which makes sense since that is what BCS is all about... learning about people we already thought we knew.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Still loving this show. You can tell that BSC comes from the family of BB, but, at the same time, it has its own identity. It just vibrates on a different wavelength... a little more humor, tongue in cheek moments. A whole lot of irony and characters with more depth, which makes sense since that is what BCS is all about... learning about people we already thought we knew.

Since we know how everything turns to crap for jimmy, I hope to see Chuck get his comeuppance too. I mean, it would be fine if he was honestly trying to help (he is right about Jimmy eventually screwing up phenomenally), but there's so much spite and jealousy wrapped up in his motives. Clearly he isn't very likable. It will be sad to see the end of Kim and Jimmy.

Also, now I can only see a stock plummeting in their logo
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject:

Amazing episode.

- Chuck is a bonafid pos.
- The show isn't just about witnessing Jimmy's descent into Saul but also Mike's. Kudos to the showrunner for featuring him much more this season. He's had almost equal billing imo. In this episode, his scenes stole the show.
- I'll probably end up really upset with what happens to Kim. That's a ride or die chick right there. Wifey material Jimmy...ffs what's the matter with you!?
- The shots. Jaysis, even as a layman with 1/10 of DMR's eye, they almost took over the scenes themselves...the coffee vending machine scene, the intro with the bloody boot. The final scene with Kim and Jimmy. Masterclass. I'm usually the last guy to comment on this sort of thing as I sort of roll my eyes when someone starts to wax poetically about how the "score" made the movie or shot #18 was the difference maker. BB and Saul seriously is that good that these subtleties elevate it.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Amazing episode.

- The show isn't just about witnessing Jimmy's descent into Saul but also Mike's. Kudos to the showrunner for featuring him much more this season. He's had almost equal billing imo. In this episode, his scenes stole the show.
- I'll probably end up really upset with what happens to Kim. That's a ride or die chick right there. Wifey material Jimmy...ffs what's the matter with you!?
- The shots. Jaysis, even as a layman with 1/10 of DMR's eye, they almost took over the scenes themselves...the coffee vending machine scene, the intro with the bloody boot. The final scene with Kim and Jimmy. Masterclass. I'm usually the last guy to comment on this sort of thing as I sort of roll my eyes when someone starts to wax poetically about how the "score" made the movie or shot #18 was the difference maker. BB and Saul seriously is that good that these subtleties elevate it.

The bell "ding" and the wheelchair at the doctor's office

That outdoor "FREE CLINIC" framing of Mike...hnnnnnng
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Amazing episode.

Seriously. What in the world!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Amazing episode.

Yeah, I was going to mention in response to LS's post. The great thing about BCS is that it's able to provide subtle details and foreshadowing that leave you not wanting to miss a frame or even a sound.

Another detail I loved was the cue that they used as the Border Inspection Station was the same cue they used for that awesome tracking shot at the same location last season.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject:

My favorite scene in the entire episode was the bench scene with Jimmy and the DA, especially how it started with the vending machine and him meticulously placing his coffee and chips. You learned everything you needed to know about that character in that 60 second scene (before Jimmy even showed up) without a word of dialogue. I'm not sure another show writer could pull that off. I also have to say that EVER actor in this show pulls off their role. I don't know whether that's just great casting, great actors or great directing, but I can't remember a time where I didn't believe someone on the show was the character they are portraying.

I was always told that dialogue is bad writing, i.e. the less dialogue you need to tell a story, the better writer you are. I think that's what separate BCS. The show doesn't waste air time, and we learn a lot about the characters and the plot even in silence. It's really impressive.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
My favorite scene in the entire episode was the bench scene with Jimmy and the DA, especially how it started with the vending machine and him meticulously placing his coffee and chips. You learned everything you needed to know about that character in that 60 second scene (before Jimmy even showed up) without a word of dialogue. I'm not sure another show writer could pull that off. I also have to say that EVER actor in this show pulls off their role. I don't know whether that's just great casting, great actors or great directing, but I can't remember a time where I didn't believe someone on the show was the character they are portraying.

I was always told that dialogue is bad writing, i.e. the less dialogue you need to tell a story, the better writer you are. I think that's what separate BCS. The show doesn't waste air time, and we learn a lot about the characters and the plot even in silence. It's really impressive.

This is especially true when it comes to Mike. As great as he with dialogue, Banks really shines when he is silently being Mike. This last episode was more of that. I loved the big in the doctor's office - "I need a package this big" indicating with his hands a small cube. The doctor asks with a bit of exasperation, "How much in grams . . .?" "This much" and indicates the size again. But the scene at the stop sign/drop point in the desert was classic. You see the red shoes from the teaser, brand new out of the box, and you have an "ah-ha" moment of recognition, but you still aren't sure of what they're about. Why is he putting the drugs in a shoe up on a telephone wire? And why so little? And what's the sniper rifle for? Is he gonna kill those guys? What's up with the warning shot? Wait, that's not a warning shot . . . but why is he just firing into the air? OK, he wants them to think it is hunters, but . . . And then when he shoots a hole in the toe of the shoe and the whole brilliance of the plan is realized - the drugs spill on to the truck which will trigger the dogs at the border checkpoint, the gunshots were to lure the two drug runners into a sense of security with the gunfire so they wouldn't be "WTF was that!" if he had just shot the shoe as they drove off. Brilliant - both in the character depiction and the visual narrative.

And as for the bench scene you mention, you can tell the whole time that guy wants that burger. It's like he's waiting for Jimmy to take a bite just so he can enjoy it vicariously, and then when Jimmy offers it up because he supposedly doesn't it anymore, the look on that DA's face and the pleasure he expresses at getting the burger for himself . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Is it blasphemous to proclaim I may love this show more than BB?

Walt had some slick moves and cunning moments... but (sadly) I feel I can relate more to Jimmy and his shortcuts/hustle than anything Walt ever did. The writing is freaking superb and as boring as the premise of a fledgling lawyer and an old retired cop working a tollbooth may seem.... the show kicks all kinds of ass. Glad my fellow LG brethren feel similar.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
Is it blasphemous to proclaim I may love this show more than BB?

Not blasphemous at all. It's a growing sentiment and definitely one I share.

Quote:
Walt had some slick moves and cunning moments... but (sadly) I feel I can relate more to Jimmy and his shortcuts/hustle than anything Walt ever did.

It's tough to compare for me. Walt was someone we saw devolve in his own time sequence, devoid of any previously known history. Poor schlub of a teacher with a great mind who was beaten down by life and when faced with his own mortality, he seized his opportunities and re-invented himself while slipping into the darkside of his own accord.

With Jimmy McGill, we get a different opportunity. We see a guy who we already know what he became and have a history to apply to his path. We get to see his own personal path to the dark side, and we see how he was pushed into down that path because of his family life. Since we originally know him as a slightly likeable, sleazy shyster, his path becomes much more interesting than simply watching Walt's decline.

Vince Gilligan has said that his writing goal for Walt was to watch a decent, simple man decline into a monster and he was surprised to see that the audience came to root for that monster. As a result he embraced that was continuously surprised by how people would continue to root for Walt no matter how evil he became. With Jimmy, we start with a guy who we know to be a dude we should dislike, but somehow has redeeming qualities, and thus, when we get the backstory we root for him because we should. It's a great contrast and a testimony to the writing that they have been able to do both stories with such engaging storytelling and justice.

Quote:
The writing is freaking superb and as boring as the premise of a fledgling lawyer and an old retired cop working a tollbooth may seem.... the show kicks all kinds of ass. Glad my fellow LG brethren feel similar.

That's the beauty of this series versus BB. BB was about the shock value of watching a horrific decline and deplorable actions and violence. BCS is about the subtleties and nuances of characters who have to battle the minefield of ethics, morality and honor.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject:

pretty good episode, but the mike parts feel like they should be their own show.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject:

I saw Aaron Paul on the Universal lot yesterday. I don't usually get excited by celebrity sightings at this point, but that one was definitely cool.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I saw Aaron Paul on the Universal lot yesterday. I don't usually get excited by celebrity sightings at this point, but that one was definitely cool.

Nice. Was just there with my daughter the other day. (Spent 3/4 of the day I'm Harry Potter Land, ugh)
Although I'm sure you're talking BACK lot. Still cool.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

I might have said, what's up, bitch?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Nice. Was just there with my daughter the other day. (Spent 3/4 of the day I'm Harry Potter Land, ugh)
Although I'm sure you're talking BACK lot. Still cool.

Yeah, at the commissary.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18
Jump to: