Inside the Lakers ownership war
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject:

whatever... pick, pick, pick and ignore the basic truth...

Published on Jul. 2, 2016
NBA free agency: Lakers' signings show impatience for no reason

They agreed to terms with Cleveland reserve Timofey Mozgov, setting him up with a four-year, $65-million deal. Saturday, news broke they'll give veteran Luol Deng Brock Osweiler money when they ink the Heat small forward to a deal that will pay him $72 million over the next four years. To put things into perspective, they just committed $137 million to an aging role player in the 31-year-old Deng and a bench warmer of a big in Mozgov, who turns 30 in two weeks.

...Deng was solid in the final of his two seasons in Miami, putting up 12.3 points and six rebound per game. That's nothing to be ashamed of, but it was still his lowest scoring average since his rookie season, signaling what could be the beginning of a decline that might not warrant a four-year commitment, especially at $18 million a go-round.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-free-agency-signings-luol-deng-timofey-mozgov-heat-dwyane-wade/yn1zee30jmxb13rx60aj3ltrb
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
^ Dude, the line you quoted was posted AFTER the line I quoted. How did I chop something that didn't even exist when the sentence I quoted was posted?? We're talking about the "opinion" in this line that you bolded:

Quote:
Posters who were expressing opinions were insulted by a mod, point blank.

Sorry, I missed that.
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Spoelstra isn’t so sure.

“I’d love to have Luol right now and have him suit up,” he offered, before turning serious.“We thought there was a chance we would get him at a way smaller number. There was that discussion that he wanted to come back and we wanted him to come back, but we obviously weren’t in a position to make that kind of deal.”

Lol man what a joke that contract was for such a useless player
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Fwiw, all they have to do is get the quote correct and correctly attributed. They quote Jeanie's lawyer, who IS her mouthpiece, and the lawyer carefully states that Jim basically backed down because he did to have his personal life and finances dragged out in public, and uses reference to a statute to imply that Jim doesn't want people to know he's broke, rather than a myriad of possible reasons why a guy might not want to move forward with civil action.

Bottom line - Jim was in position for that tactic to work. Tried a power play and didn't evaluate his hand properly - or Jeanie's. Now he's out.

I'm sorry Mitch got caught up in the wash. He's like Tessio in The Godfather - a talented lieutenant who gambled on the wrong side and lost. He should have picked better.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:
kwase wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Fwiw, why do people have the right to say really awful things about one front office figure and then get all upset when someone says things they don't like about another one? Magic was and is my favorite basketball player of all time, and the player I would draft first all time, but that doesn't mean I'm incapable of seeing or having a different opinion of him off the court.

Excuse me but this is ridiculous. When Jim was first ousted I avoided this site because of the incessant hate being thrown at Jeannie and Magic, which bordered on woman hate and was laced with racial undertones. Yes - it was that bad.

Really awful? Lol what is the most awful thing you read on this thread? That Jim and Mitch failed, or good riddance to Jim, or that he never deserved his position to begin with?

No comparison to the blasting Jeannie and Magic got/are still getting.

I'm right there with you bro. I have to question what some of the posters intentions are when you talk bad about a man that has won a high school state, college and 5 NBA championships, along with a highly successful businessman in support of a failed horse jockey and college dropout. I've always been really good at math, and that doesn't add up to me. At the end of the day Jim was a failure with the worst seasons in Laker history under his belt. He's gone, that's all I care about and good riddance! I know everyone is entitled to their opinions, but c'mon folks...how many more Tank seasons do you want to endure???

What did Lauryn Hill say: "And even after all my logic and my theory
I add a "(bleep)" so you ignant ****** hear me"

Haha. Nice post. But your math is off. You see a highly successful bball player at every level, then really a self-made billionaire track record is equivalent to silver spooned 60 yr old with no bball pedigree, business acumen who failed at everything daddy's money can buy. Its simple math, 500M = -500M.

You guys are right on the money about the carefully coded words to hide the racial and misogynistic intentions of some posters w.r.t. Jeanie/Magic. I guess in todays climate they feel more emboldened.

I definitely see sexism in the way that Jeanie's qualifications and acumen have been dismissed in defense of her brother, and in how often Jackson's potential influence has been cited against her.

Not so much the racism in regards to Magic. Although, I have infinitely more confidence in Magic Johnson as head of basketball ops than I had in Jim Buss, I do understand the apprehension, and I don't believe it's race-based.

For one, Magic has about as much equity in this town as any athlete living or dead. Whether or not he is the perfect man for the job, he has credibility.
In my opinion, the first sign of discrimination is, as I said with Jeanie, when the person's qualifications are treated dismissively. Not when somebody who can write his own ticket gets the standard scrutiny that comes with a high-profile job. Magic has the on-court qualifications. That's a lot. That's deserving of a chance. But it's not like he's become recognized for keen insight during his retirement.

For another, there are black athletes and executives who would not meet any hesitation when it comes to fans' confidence. Magic is just not one of those people. Speaking only for myself, Magic's coaching tenure plays a part in how I see him as an executive. I perceive that he's a little bit too aware of his image. I'm also concerned about whether he'll be as tight-lipped as the job may need him to be.

His role on the Dodgers was overplayed for fans in order to mask the taste of the fact that the new ownership is still partnered with Frank McCourt. Early on, questions were directed to him as "the new owner", but Magic is basically a greeter at Dodger Stadium.

But that's baseball, and this is basketball. I do expect more from Magic in this role. I am not DOWN on him as the head basketball guy for the Lakers. I have some apprehension, but mainly tempered confidence. It's undoubtedly better than what they're leaving behind.

Last edited by MickMgl on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:
Palin wrote:
Jim is gone fine. So Jeanie made the hirings of Magic/Pelinka right?

ok then what happens if Magic/Pelinka fails and we can't become a contender in 5 years? They are fired and Jeanie brings another people? Jeanie is not accountable? So Jim can get fired because he made wrong choices but Jeanie will be forever safe even she hires people that makes wrong choices?

At the end of the day, how is this any different than any other owner? I mean, how long did we watch Sterling make profits despite putting a mediocre product out there? At the end of the day, she's the owner and the one writing the paychecks. Either the current regime (Buss/Magic/Pelinka) figures it out, or she fires everyone and starts from scratch again. That won't happen for a while though.

It just wasn't the same for Jim. His ownership stay rested on meeting a deadline. Hers is perpetual.

That deadline wasn't established on Day 1. Confidence had already been eroding under his tenure for some time.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:
Palin wrote:
Jim is gone fine. So Jeanie made the hirings of Magic/Pelinka right?

ok then what happens if Magic/Pelinka fails and we can't become a contender in 5 years? They are fired and Jeanie brings another people? Jeanie is not accountable? So Jim can get fired because he made wrong choices but Jeanie will be forever safe even she hires people that makes wrong choices?

At the end of the day, how is this any different than any other owner? I mean, how long did we watch Sterling make profits despite putting a mediocre product out there? At the end of the day, she's the owner and the one writing the paychecks. Either the current regime (Buss/Magic/Pelinka) figures it out, or she fires everyone and starts from scratch again. That won't happen for a while though.

It just wasn't the same for Jim. His ownership stay rested on meeting a deadline. Hers is perpetual.

That deadline wasn't established on Day 1. Confidence had already been eroding under his tenure for some time.

he himself set that. nobody told him to set a self suicide deadline.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Fwiw, all they have to do is get the quote correct and correctly attributed. They quote Jeanie's lawyer, who IS her mouthpiece, and the lawyer carefully states that Jim basically backed down because he did to have his personal life and finances dragged out in public, and uses reference to a statute to imply that Jim doesn't want people to know he's broke, rather than a myriad of possible reasons why a guy might not want to move forward with civil action.

Bottom line - Jim was in position for that tactic to work. Tried a power play and didn't evaluate his hand properly - or Jeanie's. Now he's out.

I'm sorry Mitch got caught up in the wash. He's like Tessio in The Godfather - a talented lieutenant who gambled on the wrong side and lost. He should have picked better.

Mitch was the only true Laker involved in this mess, everyone else was self motivated.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Mitch was the only true Laker involved in this mess, everyone else was self motivated.

Mitch's book would be the most interesting.

Doubtful that he'd write one, but his perspective, coming from a well-run Washington org, then being a Laker for much of Showtime, the 30ish years in the FO.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:
kwase wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Fwiw, why do people have the right to say really awful things about one front office figure and then get all upset when someone says things they don't like about another one? Magic was and is my favorite basketball player of all time, and the player I would draft first all time, but that doesn't mean I'm incapable of seeing or having a different opinion of him off the court.

Excuse me but this is ridiculous. When Jim was first ousted I avoided this site because of the incessant hate being thrown at Jeannie and Magic, which bordered on woman hate and was laced with racial undertones. Yes - it was that bad.

Really awful? Lol what is the most awful thing you read on this thread? That Jim and Mitch failed, or good riddance to Jim, or that he never deserved his position to begin with?

No comparison to the blasting Jeannie and Magic got/are still getting.

I'm right there with you bro. I have to question what some of the posters intentions are when you talk bad about a man that has won a high school state, college and 5 NBA championships, along with a highly successful businessman in support of a failed horse jockey and college dropout. I've always been really good at math, and that doesn't add up to me. At the end of the day Jim was a failure with the worst seasons in Laker history under his belt. He's gone, that's all I care about and good riddance! I know everyone is entitled to their opinions, but c'mon folks...how many more Tank seasons do you want to endure???

What did Lauryn Hill say: "And even after all my logic and my theory
I add a "(bleep)" so you ignant ****** hear me"

Haha. Nice post. But your math is off. You see a highly successful bball player at every level, then really a self-made billionaire track record is equivalent to silver spooned 60 yr old with no bball pedigree, business acumen who failed at everything daddy's money can buy. Its simple math, 500M = -500M.

You guys are right on the money about the carefully coded words to hide the racial and misogynistic intentions of some posters w.r.t. Jeanie/Magic. I guess in todays climate they feel more emboldened.

I definitely see sexism in the way that Jeanie's qualifications and acumen have been dismissed in defense of her brother, and in how often Jackson's potential influence has been cited against her.

Not so much the racism in regards to Magic. Although, I have infinitely more confidence in Magic Johnson as head of basketball ops than I had in Jim Buss, I do understand the apprehension, and I don't believe it's race-based.

For one, Magic has about as much equity in this town as any athlete living or dead. Whether or not he is the perfect man for the job, he has credibility.
In my opinion, the first sign of discrimination is, as I said with Jeanie, when the person's qualifications are treated dismissively. Not when somebody who can write his own ticket gets the standard scrutiny that comes with a high-profile job. Magic has the on-court qualifications. That's a lot. That's deserving of a chance. But it's not like he's become recognized for keen insight during his retirement.

For another, there are black athletes and executives who would not meet any hesitation when it comes to fans' confidence. Magic is just not one of those people. Speaking only for myself, Magic's coaching tenure plays a part in how I see him as an executive. I perceive that he's a little bit too aware of his image. I'm also concerned about whether he'll be as tight-lipped as the job may need him to be.

His role on the Dodgers was overplayed for fans in order to mask the taste of the fact that the new ownership is still partnered with Frank McCourt. Early on, questions were directed to him as "the new owner", but Magic is basically a greeter at Dodger Stadium.

But that's baseball, and this is basketball. I do expect more from Magic in this role. I am not DOWN on him as the head basketball guy for the Lakers. I have some apprehension, but mainly tempered confidence. It's undoubtedly better than what they're leaving behind.

My issues with Jeanie have nothing to do with her being a woman. I've heard her say a lot of things but I've never heard her say anything that makes me believe she has much of a clue about basketball. Her basketball comments are as vague as possible, saying the Lakers should compete for championships etc but never saying anything meaningful.

She wanted Phil to be the boss. We have seen what he can do in the FO and I don't think he has outshined Jim and Mitch over the last 4 years by any stretch of the imagination.

Magic also leaves a lot to be desired when you look at his comments over the years.

It is very easy to criticize the last four years but I don't see where Jeanie, Phil, or Magic would have done any better.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

We agree on that. I think he sealed his fate when he didn't roll over and spill everything to Magic. My guess is they were planning a year end takeover, but between magic's unscripted tour and not being able to get the inside scoop, they got a bit freaked out and jumped early. That likely cost Mitch a Jerry West type role, which they will miss, because he and he alone made the draft calls. The scouts are good but they didn't always agree, and have heard they didn't have zubac and nance where they were taken.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

From my read, it wasn't about Mitch "choosing" a side. Mitch's extension was a point of contention between Jim and Jeanie. It seems that if wasn't for Jim, Mitch wouldn't even have been around in the first place.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

From my read, it wasn't about Mitch "choosing" a side. Mitch's extension was a point of contention between Jim and Jeanie. It seems that if wasn't for Jim, Mitch wouldn't even have been around in the first place.

I missed that about Mitch's extension. My question is - was it a bone of contention because of Mitch's performance or because Mitch had already chosen?
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I missed that about Mitch's extension. My question is - was it a bone of contention because of Mitch's performance or because Mitch had already chosen?

No idea. The report said that Jim had to justify Mitch's extension by saying FO unstability would hurt their ability to attract star free agents. So eventually their inability to attract stars became something that hung over their tenure.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

We agree on that. I think he sealed his fate when he didn't roll over and spill everything to Magic. My guess is they were planning a year end takeover, but between magic's unscripted tour and not being able to get the inside scoop, they got a bit freaked out and jumped early. That likely cost Mitch a Jerry West type role, which they will miss, because he and he alone made the draft calls. The scouts are good but they didn't always agree, and have heard they didn't have zubac and nance where they were taken.

If I were Magic I would decide Mitch was a talent worth trying to recruit, also valuing that he didn't turncoat as a sign of someone you want on your team (even though it was me he didn't give the goods to) and after a gestation period try to bring him back. You have to feel really secure to manage in that way though.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

If I were Magic I would decide Mitch was a talent worth trying to recruit, also valuing that he didn't turncoat as a sign of someone you want on your team (even though it was me he didn't give the goods to) and after a gestation period try to bring him back. You have to feel really secure to manage in that way though.

meh, sometimes with new management, Sheep's get slaughter.

I don't think we will be in lottery for ever, so talent evaluation in draft is moot.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I don't think we will be in lottery for ever, so talent evaluation in draft is moot.

Lol, talent evaluation becomes more important in many ways the farther you get down the draft. Most people can tell who the top guys are (although not necessarily in order) but even most pros have a tough time mining the second round.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Lol, talent evaluation becomes more important in many ways the farther you get down the draft. Most people can tell who the top guys are (although not necessarily in order) but even most pros have a tough time mining the second round.
Pre-draft scouting is very important, but talent evaluation does not end at the draft. Rather, it forms the foundation for the evaluation of players league-wide and key to future trades and signings.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

That's why the Spurs have never hit the valleys the Lakers have since the arrival of Duncan. Manu(2nd rd), Parker(late 1st), Kawahi (15th pick) are th the big ones off the top of my head, plus reclamation projects like Danny Green and Patty Mills have enabled them to rebuild on the fly.

I'm overjoyed that Jim is gone, as I was posting after he hired Brown over Adelman that the Lakers were in trouble with him running the show, but I think blowing Mitch out was a mistake. He should have been retained in a consultant/advisory role where you could get his draft input. You don't have to listen to it, but it's better to have one more smart voice in the room

Would like to see them bring West back even moreso in that type of role.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

And we likely wouldn't have drafted all the players we did.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

And we likely wouldn't have drafted all the players we did.

That may well be a big reason Mitch is gone. While he hasn't had a lot of high picks to work with, I was never impressed with his success early in drafts. Mitch was much better in finding gems in trades, IMO, than in drafting/draft positioning. One big problem was the number of times he had to kick in a #1 to move a bad contract. That kept the Lakers from being able to move up in drafts or get good players in trade.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

You have a point which I missed
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
That may well be a big reason Mitch is gone. While he hasn't had a lot of high picks to work with, I was never impressed with his success early in drafts. Mitch was much better in finding gems in trades, IMO, than in drafting/draft positioning. One big problem was the number of times he had to kick in a #1 to move a bad contract. That kept the Lakers from being able to move up in drafts or get good players in trade.

Just did a little more research and I want to be fair to Mitch - some of the 1st round draft picks he traded came after "basketball reasons." Had the CP3 deal went through, he likely would not have had to move picks to get rid of Walton, Sasha, DFish, etc.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

and John Black.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

and John Black.

I wonder if Black has landed somewhere. I also wonder what kind of parachute he and Mitch got for leaving quietly.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12
Jump to: