Believe It or Not, the 2016-17 Season Was a Success for the Los Angeles Lakers

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Believe It or Not, the 2016-17 Season Was a Success for the Los Angeles Lakers

Hey all,

Here's my latest at Bleacher Report:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2703710-believe-it-or-not-the-2016-17-season-was-a-success-for-the-los-angeles-lakers

Obviously, how successful remains TBD - the lottery is part of that computation.

Cheers,

Eric
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

I agree. We win +9 games, young kids show promise, and still have a near 50% chance at a top 3 pick.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

Nice read EP

I was taken back by the amount of positivity coming out of the e/o season interviews. That mini win streak might loose us the pick, but we gain a little hint of success and optimism to build on for the future. In a sense we now have a bunch of young guys in the boat finally rowing in the same direction.

You going to continue doing articles throughout the offseason?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject:

will keep writing for much of the offseason
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

Success is not a binary condition (i.e., The Thing is not a success or non-success on the whole IMO), and instead it's a matter of extents, degrees, a complex set of observations.

There was some degree of success seen in 2016-17. I think there is another year's worth of test, observation and development ahead of this team before we know very much about the its overall capability. In terms of it providing an improved viewing experience for fans, the team failed miserably for me on the whole, as they remained really quite a poor team overall.

One step at a time. If player attitudes are indeed on the rise for the most part, it's a step taken forward ("step three perhaps.) I like to think of steps one and two being the overhauls of the coaching and management staffs.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

What's the sense on what we will do with the pick if we get it?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

no sense yet - is it 1, 2, 3 or 33?
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject:

My favorite quote:

"Zubac is not ready to start" Mozgov
Alpha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Awesome write up! I love all the quotes!
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Eric,

Burning question of the month from LG- where is Deng?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject:

I think Eric already answered that, an early exit meeting then off to his charity.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Believe It or Not, the 2016-17 Season Was a Success for the Los Angeles Lakers

emplay wrote:
Hey all,

Here's my latest at Bleacher Report:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2703710-believe-it-or-not-the-2016-17-season-was-a-success-for-the-los-angeles-lakers

Obviously, how successful remains TBD - the lottery is part of that computation.

Cheers,

Eric
Thanks for the article

Blake is a very good player but he isn't a transcendent player that can lead a team to rings PLUS what will they do with Randle, Nance, Black and TRob

If they get Haywood, what will they do with Ingram and Deng. Is he the Alpha that the Lakers need, at this time - nope.

It appears that the Lakers' first need is a Floor General since it appears that DLO is better at SG and JC is good in the Jamal Crawford/Lou Williams role

What will Rob/Magic do with Mosgov/Deng? With a great Floor General, will Mosgove and Deng have more effective years?

Would the Indiana Pacers be a good place for Mosgov (they need a center and salaries could match - with some adjustments) if Paul George still wants out?
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Eric!
Good points.
And Chainaman also has a good point. It is hard to believe that there is a superstar available at this point who could singlehandedly take these Lakers to playoffs already next season.
Given that when not in tanking mode Mozgov, Deng, and Young would improve Lakers record, and Lakers seem to be set in keeping DLO and BI, the most impact would probably be if Lakers added either a point guard or a shooting guard. But it seems they can take on just one big contract this offseason.

Hence, it would be wiser to not go after an established superstar now, but to have one more season for growth of youngsters. After the next season this core of young Lakers must be playoff ready (or else just break it up and trade them) and then it is time to go all in for a player who would take the Lakers at least to the second round of playoffs.

Thus, whoever Lakers aim at this offseason must be ready to wait one more season. I hope this does not go to sitting out half a season like Mozg and Deng had to do this year, but still. First round of playoffs is the realistic ceiling next season. All acquired players must keep in mind that the horizon of success is at least two seasons away.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject:

Shaber wrote:
Thanks, Eric!
Good points.
And Chainaman also has a good point. It is hard to believe that there is a superstar available at this point who could singlehandedly take these Lakers to playoffs already next season.
Given that when not in tanking mode Mozgov, Deng, and Young would improve Lakers record, and Lakers seem to be set in keeping DLO and BI, the most impact would probably be if Lakers added either a point guard or a shooting guard. But it seems they can take on just one big contract this offseason.

Hence, it would be wiser to not go after an established superstar now, but to have one more season for growth of youngsters. After the next season this core of young Lakers must be playoff ready (or else just break it up and trade them) and then it is time to go all in for a player who would take the Lakers at least to the second round of playoffs.

Thus, whoever Lakers aim at this offseason must be ready to wait one more season. I hope this does not go to sitting out half a season like Mozg and Deng had to do this year, but still. First round of playoffs is the realistic ceiling next season. All acquired players must keep in mind that the horizon of success is at least two seasons away.

I think if a superstar is available and is willing to come here, you take him and try to add another the following year. You can't wait, superstars don't grow on trees. If the opportunity is there, you don't say, we'll just wait until next year.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Shaber wrote:
Thanks, Eric!
Good points.

I think if a superstar is available and is willing to come here, you take him and try to add another the following year. You can't wait, superstars don't grow on trees. If the opportunity is there, you don't say, we'll just wait until next year.

That plan worked great for the Nets
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
Wino wrote:
Shaber wrote:
Thanks, Eric!
Good points.
And Chinaman also has a good point. It is hard to believe that there is a superstar available at this point who could singlehandedly take these Lakers to playoffs already next season.

If they are able to get a legitimate Floor General (Ball, Fultz, Jackson, etc.) that is not necessary a rookie or FA
Note: the only realistic and objective choices (IMHO) is Holiday or maybe Hill - not great choices.

DLO is seemingly not the best fit for a PG, but rather a SG.
vlonethug
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
Wino wrote:
Shaber wrote:
Thanks, Eric!
Good points.
And Chinaman also has a good point. It is hard to believe that there is a superstar available at this point who could singlehandedly take these Lakers to playoffs already next season.

If they are able to get a legitimate Floor General (Ball, Fultz, Jackson, etc.) that is not necessary a rookie or FA
Note: the only realistic and objective choices (IMHO) is Holiday or maybe Hill - not great choices.

DLO is seemingly not the best fit for a PG, but rather a SG.

We have J Clark so I would rather draft Josh Jackson instead of Fultz or, Lonzo.
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
will keep writing for much of the offseason

Always appreciate your efforts and it's great to see your career expand, as it were.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

thx
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: