Official Tyler Ennis Thread....He was Waived today (6/28)!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Tyler seemed to really, really want to be back and I think the feeling is mutual. Tyler is steady -- as time went on I became very, very comfortable when the ball was in his hands.

I hope he stays. I very, very much doubt he'd command a very big contract at this point.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
We need to keep Ennis for when we eventually trade JC. If we can get even 75% of the production of JC for only a fraction of JC's contract, you have to do it. Even if it's a gamble, it wouldn't be an expensive one. If $3M is what it takes to keep him, I'd do it.

People were ecstatic over signing JC to a $12.5M per year contract as if it was some bargain. I didn't agree then and now after a full season I feel more strongly about it. It's more in the "fair to slight overpay" range. Ennis is even 2 years younger than JC. The fanbase seems to be penny wise, pound foolish.

If FO wants to be aggressive, I think JC and Randle should be moved this summer. They both have value but Randle will not be worth what he is due to get. Ennis will be a nice backup. It seems he has found the right fit for his game to flourish.

I tend to agree. I think Clarkson is a borderline starter and Rsndle may be a future near star or star, but they don't fit stylistically.

Agree. I think JC is pretty close to his ceiling. He's a serviceable player, just a bit too ball dominant for what we're trying to run. His porous defense is what prevents him from being a starter in this league. It's a similar situation to Monta Ellis in Golden State. Got a 2nd round steal, but I think time to move on. Ennis can step into JC's role right away, at a much cheaper contract and 2 years younger.

JC is a much better player than Ennis, and his contract is still considered a value around the league.....that is why so many teams call about him. I think Ennis has played well, and I am not opposed to moving Clarkson if it improves the team, but I am not moving Clarkson because I feel Tyler Ennis can fill his shoes....because at this point, he simply can't.

I don't know about "much better". He doesn't have to fill JC's shoes. Like I said, if he's even 75% of JC at only 25% of the cost ($12.5M per vs. $3M), then you have to keep him. I never said he was equal or better than JC. I think he's close enough, and possibly on a much cheaper deal.

But I do believe he's a better fit if he can continue to shoot 38%+ from 3. I was in full on tank mode so I was frustrated watching this guy play as well as he did .
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
Tyler seemed to really, really want to be back and I think the feeling is mutual. Tyler is steady -- as time went on I became very, very comfortable when the ball was in his hands.

I hope he stays. I very, very much doubt he'd command a very big contract at this point.

This goes along with what I was saying earlier about Ennis staying with the Lakers instead of taking a potentially bigger contract elsewhere.

He said that Luke was the first NBA coach he has had who let him call his own plays. I am not sure he would give up the relative sure thing of playing time for the Lakers under Luke vs. the unknown of a new coach who may not even play him.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
We need to keep Ennis for when we eventually trade JC. If we can get even 75% of the production of JC for only a fraction of JC's contract, you have to do it. Even if it's a gamble, it wouldn't be an expensive one. If $3M is what it takes to keep him, I'd do it.

People were ecstatic over signing JC to a $12.5M per year contract as if it was some bargain. I didn't agree then and now after a full season I feel more strongly about it. It's more in the "fair to slight overpay" range. Ennis is even 2 years younger than JC. The fanbase seems to be penny wise, pound foolish.

If FO wants to be aggressive, I think JC and Randle should be moved this summer. They both have value but Randle will not be worth what he is due to get. Ennis will be a nice backup. It seems he has found the right fit for his game to flourish.

I tend to agree. I think Clarkson is a borderline starter and Rsndle may be a future near star or star, but they don't fit stylistically.

Agree. I think JC is pretty close to his ceiling. He's a serviceable player, just a bit too ball dominant for what we're trying to run. His porous defense is what prevents him from being a starter in this league. It's a similar situation to Monta Ellis in Golden State. Got a 2nd round steal, but I think time to move on. Ennis can step into JC's role right away, at a much cheaper contract and 2 years younger.

JC is a much better player than Ennis, and his contract is still considered a value around the league.....that is why so many teams call about him. I think Ennis has played well, and I am not opposed to moving Clarkson if it improves the team, but I am not moving Clarkson because I feel Tyler Ennis can fill his shoes....because at this point, he simply can't.

I don't know about "much better". He doesn't have to fill JC's shoes. Like I said, if he's even 75% of JC at only 25% of the cost ($12.5M per vs. $3M), then you have to keep him. I never said he was equal or better than JC. I think he's close enough, and possibly on a much cheaper deal.

But I do believe he's a better fit if he can continue to shoot 38%+ from 3. I was in full on tank mode so I was frustrated watching this guy play as well as he did .

Agreed. I wasn't a big fan of his at the start, but he just kept on playing better and better the more he got comfortable with his role. Definitely would like to see him back -- will give us cheap flexibility to enable the FO to think about cashing in other assets like JC to plug other roster holes.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject:

One of the things I think that is really underrated about his game is, he's capable of initiating an offense, yet, the ball moves in the halfcourt set. He's not particularly ball dominant really.

That kind of guard is complementary to DAR's skill set.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Dilla_ wrote:
Ennis was 39% from three during his time with the Lakers will he be able to keep that up next year if he resgisn?

Probably not, but he's worth another flyer. We can't sign him for a lot, so a two or more year contract with a team option would be ideal.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Tyler Ennis' LA Future Still Uncertain Depending on Draft Lottery Results

Quote:
Ennis is set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer after the Rockets opted out of their team option this season as part of his rookie-scale deal. There are rumors that the Lakers could re-sign him in the offseason if the team fails to land a top point guard in this year's draft.

http://www.isportstimes.com/articles/27895/20170416/lakers-rumors-tyler-ennis-la-future-still-uncertain-depending-draft.htm
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Quote:
Ennis is set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer after the Rockets opted out of their team option this season as part of his rookie-scale deal. There are rumors that the Lakers could re-sign him in the offseason if the team fails to land a top point guard in this year's draft.

http://www.isportstimes.com/articles/27895/20170416/lakers-rumors-tyler-ennis-la-future-still-uncertain-depending-draft.htm

Stupid article, Ennis would be our back up PG, so why would it matter if we drafted a top point guard or not. You resign him anyway because we have no other back up PG on the roster.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Stupid article, Ennis would be our back up PG, so why would it matter if we drafted a top point guard or not. You resign him anyway because we have no other back up PG on the roster.

No doubt about it IMO
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:

Tyler reminds me of Jordan Farmar. Not that they are similar players, but I feel Ennis could fill similar role as a bench player.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Dilla_ wrote:
Ennis was 39% from three during his time with the Lakers will he be able to keep that up next year if he resgisn?

Probably not, but he's worth another flyer. We can't sign him for a lot, so a two or more year contract with a team option would be ideal.

A small 2 year contract with a 2nd year team option would be ideal.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject:

Tyler 'Patty Mills' Ennis
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Tyler 'Patty Mills' Ennis

We can only hope.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Dilla_ wrote:

I will give him a 3 year /10m deal with a mutual 3rd year option. He showed he can run the offense in a similar way the starting unit runs it. That exactly was our problem this year when the injuries came and the 2-teams-in-1 we had in the 1st 20 games lost 8/9 in a row. Luke insist in gaving the 11,12,13,14 roster players starting temporary spots so he can mantain the 2nd unit.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject:

We need shooters and playmakers; Ennis does both. He's also the right age - he can grow with the young core. I hope FO knows what they're doing.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Dilla_ wrote:

I will give him a 3 year /10m deal with a mutual 3rd year option. He showed he can run the offense in a similar way the starting unit runs it. That exactly was our problem this year when the injuries came and the 2-teams-in-1 we had in the 1st 20 games lost 8/9 in a row. Luke insist in gaving the 11,12,13,14 roster players starting temporary spots so he can mantain the 2nd unit.

You can't give him that contract.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
lakerican wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Dilla_ wrote:

Why is that, Omar?
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
lakerican wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Dilla_ wrote:

Why is that, Omar?

It has to be either a team or player option afaik.

Also, it's too small of a sample size to commit multiple years to him. He's been fairly underwhelming before this.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
lakerican wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Dilla_ wrote:

Why is that, Omar?

Due to a CBA peculiarity the Lakers are capped at 2.6m as the most they can offer. Other teams can offer more. It had to do with the Rox declining an option on him.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lakerican wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
lakerican wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Dilla_ wrote:

Why is that, Omar?

Due to a CBA peculiarity the Lakers are capped at 2.6m as the most they can offer. Other teams can offer more. It had to do with the Rox declining an option on him.

Correct. This is to keep teams from declining to pay one of the rookie scale years in order to pay a young guy more sooner. And it carries through in the trade.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject:

Baby T scares Tyler

Better quality raptor

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Luke Walton On The Key To Tyler Ennis’ Success In The NBA

Quote:
For Walton, just how far Ennis makes it in the NBA is dependent on one main factor, his shooting.

“The way he’s been shooting the ball is going to be the key to how far he makes it in this league. He’s got a great feel for being a point guard, getting into the lane, making an extra pass, finishing around the rim, playing defense, all of those things he does well enough, especially for his age,” Walton said. “If he can consistently be a threat from out there, he’s going to be a very good player in this league.”

http://www.lakersnation.com/luke-walton-on-the-key-to-tyler-ennis-success-in-the-nba/2017/04/26/
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers draft Ball or another PG, does Ennis come back? At the end of the season, it seemed that people were surprised at how well he played.

--Anonymous

Last edited by Annihilator on Fri May 19, 2017 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
If the Lakers draft Ball or another PG, does Ennis come back?

Depends on what other teams are offering him.
How much would you give him.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
If the Lakers draft Ball or another PG, does Ennis come back?

Depends on what other teams are offering him.
How much would you give him.

I was just trying to guess what the opening day roster was going to look like. Ball, Russell, Clarkson, Ennis and Nwaba seem like a very young group of guards.

--Anonymous
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 23 of 38
Jump to: