OFFICIAL GARY LANCE JR THREAD - traded :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 174, 175, 176 ... 219, 220, 221  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject:

I don't really think of Nance as only a role player or starter. I think of him as one of those important role players who could either get time as a starter or bench player, like Rick Fox or Horry. He has a good awareness of the game.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject:

Fastbreak32 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
tox wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
Larry is a guy that would flourish on a good team. He's the perfect bench role player that does the little things and brings hustle/intensity when he's out there. Hopefully he can extend his range to the 3pt line and become a Robery Horry like player.

Why does everyone have Larry pegged as a bench guy? Is it because of his injury history or is it his lack of shooting? I mean, he plays good D, moves the ball on offense, has a great BBIQ. IMO I don't know why he could not be a starter. I think he might be a more effective starter than Randle because he plays both ends of the floor.

Part of the problem is our guards are near worthless at throwing lobs. It's the one offensive skill he has where he could really shine and get a lot of the playground adoration Randle receives for his ballhandling, but it's not possible without someone willing or able to set him up.

cough cough DLO

and JC (Lou too). He really didn't play with Russell much.

Yeah, our guards really need to practice their lobs and watch Shaq era Lakers. Nance would really benefit.

Nance, Mozgov, Black, Ingram.

We have a PG with fantastic court vision to find open shooters playing with guys that can't shoot and we have several good finishers that have to play with guards that can't even complete a simple lob pass once a month. We can keep building through young talent, but I believe it is time to start building some synergy.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject:

Well developing a lob pass is a reasonable and attainable goal, so I'm not too worried.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject:

Fastbreak32 wrote:
I don't really think of Nance as only a role player or starter. I think of him as one of those important role players who could either get time as a starter or bench player, like Rick Fox or Horry. He has a good awareness of the game.

I'm not fond of labeling players, so I'll go into the metaphysical realm on this one - he's one of them "heart and soul" players, only his knees will likely be a question mark for the rest of his career (related to his Crohn's diagnosis).

They looked like a completely different defensive team with him starting (Lakers were top 7 in defensive efficiency this month). And then in his exit interview, he talked about quarterbacking the defense, calling out overages, wrecking havoc on the weakside, etc. What he does won't easily be replaceable. He'll stick as long as he shows that level of commitment on the defensive end.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
Larry is a guy that would flourish on a good team. He's the perfect bench role player that does the little things and brings hustle/intensity when he's out there. Hopefully he can extend his range to the 3pt line and become a Robery Horry like player.

Why does everyone have Larry pegged as a bench guy? Is it because of his injury history or is it his lack of shooting? I mean, he plays good D, moves the ball on offense, has a great BBIQ. IMO I don't know why he could not be a starter. I think he might be a more effective starter than Randle because he plays both ends of the floor.

Because he is a bench player

I sort of feel like if Larry gets a reliable 3pt shot he puts himself in the conversation as a starter, especially depending on what you're going for with that unit. That doesn't mean he would have to start. But by next season I could see him being starter quality. It's a nice thing to have on the roster.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:

I'm not fond of labeling players, so I'll go into the metaphysical realm on this one - he's one of them "heart and soul" players, only his knees will likely be a question mark for the rest of his career (related to his Crohn's diagnosis).

They looked like a completely different defensive team with him starting (Lakers were top 7 in defensive efficiency this month). And then in his exit interview, he talked about quarterbacking the defense, calling out overages, wrecking havoc on the weakside, etc. What he does won't easily be replaceable. He'll stick as long as he shows that level of commitment on the defensive end.

If only that were true. The starters were as terrible with him starting as with Zubac. The big difference is that the bench started playing better defense.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:

If only that were true. The starters were as terrible with him starting as with Zubac. The big difference is that the bench started playing better defense.

I felt like that was more a function of playing with Randle, Russell, Clarkson (although he's shown improvement on that end) than what Nance was doing individually. He wasn't blowing coverages and generally did what he talked about in the exit interview. On a unit with no almost defensive synergy, he was the only one busting his tail and rotating accordingly. Anywho, there was one unit w/ Nance that had a 76.7 defensive rating this month, but it's a small sample size. Nance needs to be paired with average, above average level defenders for the dynamic to work. I thought that much was evident in the first half the season when he played with Ingram, Black. There's a good breakdown here on how disruptive he was on that end. I see that same Nance next season assuming he stays healthy. I hope to see more of the Black, Nance, Ingram pairing, and guys like Randle, Russell will need to improve defensively or everyone will look bad. I'll try to do one final breakdown on everyone's defense in the defensive rankings thread.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
tox wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:

I felt like that was more a function of playing with Randle, Russell, Clarkson (although he's shown improvement on that end) than what Nance was doing individually. He wasn't blowing coverages and generally did what he talked about in the exit interview. On a unit with no almost defensive synergy, he was the only one busting his tail and rotating accordingly. Anywho, there was one unit w/ Nance that had a 76.7 defensive rating this month, but it's a small sample size. Nance needs to be paired with average, above average level defenders for the dynamic to work. I thought that much was evident in the first half the season when he played with Ingram, Black. There's a good breakdown here on how disruptive he was on that end. I see that same Nance next season assuming he stays healthy. I hope to see more of the Black, Nance, Ingram pairing, and guys like Randle, Russell will need to improve defensively or everyone will look bad. I'll try to do one final breakdown on everyone's defense in the defensive rankings thread.

No, I agree with you. I don't think it's Nance's fault those units sucked on defense. It's a bad group defensively, and playing Nance didn't change that. That doesn't mean he's a bad defender -- far from it. I'm just saying that our April DRTG was better because the bench was really good on that end and not because of Nance starting per se.

Also, Russell/ Clarkson/ Randle without Ingram have a DRTG of 107.9. With Ingram, it's 124.2. He's a rookie, so it's fine, but Ingram has plenty to improve on as well. I wouldn't put all the blame on Randle and Russell (or Clarkson).
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Nance saying he want's to be in the DPOY discussion later in his career. Does not sound like a role player to me!

Dream big Jr.!
vdogg11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Nance saying he want's to be in the DPOY discussion later in his career. Does not sound like a role player to me!

Dream big Jr.!

I absolutely think nance can start, especially if the lakers don't want to sign Julius to a hefty extension. remember, not every player in the starting 5 has to be an all-star in order to have a terrific and successful team.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Dream big Jr.!
Loved hearing that!
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Fastbreak32 wrote:

This
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

vdogg11 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Dream big Jr.!

I absolutely think nance can start, especially if the lakers don't want to sign Julius to a hefty extension. remember, not every player in the starting 5 has to be an all-star in order to have a terrific and successful team.

This is my take on Nance. Role player/super role player. He can start if needed, and he'd do fine, but it's hardly a waste of his strengths to bring him off the bench.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject:

In fact they have been successful bringing him off the bench
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dao wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

Why does everyone have Larry pegged as a bench guy? Is it because of his injury history or is it his lack of shooting? I mean, he plays good D, moves the ball on offense, has a great BBIQ. IMO I don't know why he counuld not be a starter. I think he might be a more effective starter than Randle because he plays both ends of the floor.

Nance is the #23 PF in the league in Real Plus Minus. Randle is #67. Nance has BPM of +2.0 ... Randle is 0.0. The cumulative advanced stats prefer Nance by a very wide margin.

Nance is a far better defensive player. Nance sets better screens. Nance has better hands and finishes above the rim.

Nance is a better shooter. Neither of them are legit three point shooters yet, though Nance's numbers are slightly better in that regard. But mid range is where Nance sets himself apart from Randle. Nance is often criticized for not taking the open mid range jumpers, and rightly so. But Nance has taken more mid range jumpers than Randle this season, despite playing in 11 fewer games and playing 6 fewer minutes per game. Since the All Star break, Randle has attempted only 21 mid Range jumpers, and he has only made three of them (a pathetic 14%). Nance has attempted 43 mid range jumpers in the same span, and made 40% of them. As for three point shooting, both Randle and Nance starting shooting threes 18 games ago, when Luke gave them the Green Light. Small sample size, But Randle has shot 31.4% from three in that time, compared to 36.4% from Nance. I'm no shot expert, but Nance appears to have much better form on his jumper as well.

Nance is easily the better player imo. Better cumulative advanced stats, far better defense, more promising jumper, and of course, most importantly, a much higher basketball IQ. Luke started Randle this year, but don't be surprised to see Luke make the switch next year. Nance was inserted into the starting lineup, and his play actually improved. All along YOU were saying that he can play well against starters but would struggle against starters. You have been proven FALSE.

And Randle is the starter with Nance off the bench
and he's the 67th best PF in the NBA while Nance is the 23rd best.

Nance has played great off the bench, and should be the first or second player coming in. I'm sure this will be talked about again and again and again, but until Julius proves he can't be a starter in this league, he will be the starter. He has too much talent and potential. All Julius has to do to keep his starting job is keep working hard, and keep getting better, which he has done.

The Lakers don't need to maximize their chances of winning a game tomorrow, they need to maximize their chances of winning a championship. Randle has a much higher ceiling than Nance.

According to real +/- Lou Williams is the 5th best SG in the leauge. Maybe we should have kept him over Russel.

According to real +/- Corey Brewer and Loul Deng are much better SFs than Ingram.

None of that information is going to factor into Luke/Rob/Magics' decisions at all.

At the very least, 2nd full season, 22 year old Randle will have until the trade deadline to show he's improving.

I would like to see Nance get stronger though, and I would love to see him and Randle close games together. I'm not sure exactly how advanced weight/skill training works, but if he can strengthen his base, even at the expense of some of his vertical explosiveness, he should do it.

I haven't given up on that combo, and another offseason(or more) of work, and another training camp(or more) could really sharpen their chemistry up.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
dao wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dao wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

Why does everyone have Larry pegged as a bench guy? Is it because of his injury history or is it his lack of shooting? I mean, he plays good D, moves the ball on offense, has a great BBIQ. IMO I don't know why he counuld not be a starter. I think he might be a more effective starter than Randle because he plays both ends of the floor.

Nance is the #23 PF in the league in Real Plus Minus. Randle is #67. Nance has BPM of +2.0 ... Randle is 0.0. The cumulative advanced stats prefer Nance by a very wide margin.

Nance is a far better defensive player. Nance sets better screens. Nance has better hands and finishes above the rim.

Nance is a better shooter. Neither of them are legit three point shooters yet, though Nance's numbers are slightly better in that regard. But mid range is where Nance sets himself apart from Randle. Nance is often criticized for not taking the open mid range jumpers, and rightly so. But Nance has taken more mid range jumpers than Randle this season, despite playing in 11 fewer games and playing 6 fewer minutes per game. Since the All Star break, Randle has attempted only 21 mid Range jumpers, and he has only made three of them (a pathetic 14%). Nance has attempted 43 mid range jumpers in the same span, and made 40% of them. As for three point shooting, both Randle and Nance starting shooting threes 18 games ago, when Luke gave them the Green Light. Small sample size, But Randle has shot 31.4% from three in that time, compared to 36.4% from Nance. I'm no shot expert, but Nance appears to have much better form on his jumper as well.

Nance is easily the better player imo. Better cumulative advanced stats, far better defense, more promising jumper, and of course, most importantly, a much higher basketball IQ. Luke started Randle this year, but don't be surprised to see Luke make the switch next year. Nance was inserted into the starting lineup, and his play actually improved. All along YOU were saying that he can play well against starters but would struggle against starters. You have been proven FALSE.

And Randle is the starter with Nance off the bench
and he's the 67th best PF in the NBA while Nance is the 23rd best.

Nance has played great off the bench, and should be the first or second player coming in. I'm sure this will be talked about again and again and again, but until Julius proves he can't be a starter in this league, he will be the starter. He has too much talent and potential. All Julius has to do to keep his starting job is keep working hard, and keep getting better, which he has done.

The Lakers don't need to maximize their chances of winning a game tomorrow, they need to maximize their chances of winning a championship. Randle has a much higher ceiling than Nance.

According to real +/- Lou Williams is the 5th best SG in the leauge. Maybe we should have kept him over Russel.

According to real +/- Corey Brewer and Loul Deng are much better SFs than Ingram.

None of that information is going to factor into Luke/Rob/Magics' decisions at all.

At the very least, 2nd full season, 22 year old Randle will have until the trade deadline to show he's improving.

I would like to see Nance get stronger though, and I would love to see him and Randle close games together. I'm not sure exactly how advanced weight/skill training works, but if he can strengthen his base, even at the expense of some of his vertical explosiveness, he should do it.

I haven't given up on that combo, and another offseason(or more) of work, and another training camp(or more) could really sharpen their chemistry up.

All that real +\- talk means nothing especially for a tanking mediocre team. I would rather have players with higher ceilings get more minutes and grow together than guys like Lou, Deng, Moz, Swaggy P play and see if we can get to 30 wins. It will not change a thing and we still be mediocre hopeless team. I will want our young guys to play most of the minutes and get more experience and learn from all that mistakes.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject:

Larry Nance Jr. is More than A Fantastic Dunker

Quote:
Lakers’ Nance Jr. rolled up to the top 10 dunks of the season since his NBA draft pick in 2015. Since his 27th draft pick, he became notorious for his extraordinary dunking skills over the other players.

Although he did not outperform his Lakers’ teammates on dunks during his rookie career, he managed to change his notoriety during his second 2016-17 NBA season. He managed to outperform his teammates by shooting up the top 10 dunks.

https://lasportshub.com/2017/04/20/lakers-larry-nance-dunker/
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject:

The only player on the Lakers to crack the top 50 in dunks last season... Nance @ #43 with 60.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/stats/dunk-o-meter
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject:

Nance is underrated here. He is really good in his role.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

How is he underrated? Most agree he is a solid big off the bench. There is little disagreement about that.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject:

2017 Player Capsule: Larry Nance Jr.

Quote:
Season Summary:
Larry Nance, Jr. is a strong example of an NBA player who is more productive than his numbers show. With that said, his statistics are pretty good and well-rounded per 36 minutes: 11.2 points, 9.2 boards, 2.4 assists, 2.0 steals and 1.0 blocks. He does so many little things when he’s on the floor that you’ll very rarely hear anything but praise when asking Luke Walton or his staff about the second-year player. Nance showed his versatility by playing well both in a reserve power forward role, and as a starting center late in the season.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/170421-player-capsule-larry-nance-jr
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject:

2018 PROSPECT PETE NANCE HOPING TO BECOME NEXT STAR IN FAMILY FULL OF THEM
College programs have been aware of Nance for some time now, however, and it’s fairly easy to see why. He is a versatile 6-foot-9 forward who can play multiple positions. He is self-described as a "point-forward" and with the NBA bloodlines, the upside is there.
http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-basketball-recruiting/2017/05/82178/2018-prospect-pete-nance-hoping-to-become-next-star-in-family-full-of-them
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
2018 PROSPECT PETE NANCE HOPING TO BECOME NEXT STAR IN FAMILY FULL OF THEM
College programs have been aware of Nance for some time now, however, and it’s fairly easy to see why. He is a versatile 6-foot-9 forward who can play multiple positions. He is self-described as a "point-forward" and with the NBA bloodlines, the upside is there.
http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-basketball-recruiting/2017/05/82178/2018-prospect-pete-nance-hoping-to-become-next-star-in-family-full-of-them

Awww snap....bout to start watching film asap
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject:

I'm not a Randle hater by any means, but Nance starting makes a lot more sense if we go with Ball. We need a defensive oriented guy and if Nance can hit the jump shot at a respectable rate I think he's the better option. Not to mention that he can run the floor really well with Lonzo Ball.

I really want Randle to be the guy because he's also athletic, can run the floor and handle the ball but damn we're gonna have to get plus defenders at some point and Ball/DLO/Ingram/Randle/Zu together will never become a good defensive unit.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject:

This is the year that we give him the nickname: Larry Legend
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 174, 175, 176 ... 219, 220, 221  Next
Page 175 of 221
Jump to: