2017 MLB Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Good win for USA! On to Puerto Rico and the finals!
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:

Puerto Rican here. Looking forward to tomorrow's game. This is a huge deal for our little island and the rest of Latin America. Unfortunately it seems you guys don't care much for this competition but still pretty cool that you guys made it to the Finals for the first time and are going against us. We'll crown a new champ tomorrow.

One thing's for sure though, US citizens will win tomorrow.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Puerto Rican here. Looking forward to tomorrow's game. This is a huge deal for our little island and the rest of Latin America. Unfortunately it seems you guys don't care much for this competition but still pretty cool that you guys made it to the Finals for the first time and are going against us. We'll crown a new champ tomorrow.

I'm actually an ethnic Korean. Our team got embarrassed by Netherlands and Israel on home soil in opening round play. ISRAEL! So I root for team USA even though I don't really care if we win or not. Good luck to you and your team; Yadi and Kike are two of my favorite players to watch.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:

Basketball is a good analogy here. The US cares about the Olympics because, well, it's the Olympics. The US has a lower level of interest in the FIBA world championship. We're much more interested in the NBA and NCAA competitions than any FIBA event. That's about how we view the baseball championship. It's not that we don't care at all, but it isn't at the level of the Olympics. It just feels like an interesting exhibition event. If Puerto Rico wins, or if Japan had beaten us last night, we wouldn't have an inquisition like we did when we lost the Olympics in basketball in 2004.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:

Basketball is a good analogy here. The US cares about the Olympics because, well, it's the Olympics. The US has a lower level of interest in the FIBA world championship. We're much more interested in the NBA and NCAA competitions than any FIBA event. That's about how we view the baseball championship. It's not that we don't care at all, but it isn't at the level of the Olympics. It just feels like an interesting exhibition event. If Puerto Rico wins, or if Japan had beaten us last night, we wouldn't have an inquisition like we did when we lost the Olympics in basketball in 2004.

I understand. In the case of basketball and other sports, I would prioritize the Olympics over these competitions as well. But baseball hasn't been in the Olympics since 2008 so I feel that is a shame that you guys don't care much for this competition. It's basically the only world competition for baseball right now till 2020. That's a 12 year wait between Olympics.

But hey no disrespect. We love our baseball and we'll celebrate like crazy if we win. If you guys win then congratulations, well deserved after beating the two monsters of Dominicana and Japan.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Oh well. Stroman completely annihilated us. Congrats USA, well deserved.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject:

I get that the WBC is probably a bigger deal outside of the US....its basically stuck between March Madness and the beginning of the NBA playoffs. I think people here in the US would actually watch it if it was on a channel that was available to everyone....like ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX. Plus its on at the wrong time of the year. Not to mention a lot of good players aren't participating so its pretty hard to give a damn.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject:

Adam Jones says that t-shirts became a motivational factor in the victory over Puerto Rico. Does this guy know that every single team that competes in a Finals (NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL, WBC, etc.) has championship apparel made beforehand?

Truly sad. The comments after the game by Jones and McCutchen were so misinformed.

Disrespectful comments by USA when PR were consummate professionals standing on the field watching USA celebrate while also congratulating them.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

Eh. Many of these guys know each other, and some of them are teammates. I wouldn't read too much into any of that stuff. Nice run by PR. The WBC isn't a big priority for Americans (yet), but it's a fun stage for the smaller countries that contribute so much to MLB. I was a little sad that Venezuela didn't make a run.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Eh. Many of these guys know each other, and some of them are teammates. I wouldn't read too much into any of that stuff. Nice run by PR. The WBC isn't a big priority for Americans (yet), but it's a fun stage for the smaller countries that contribute so much to MLB. I was a little sad that Venezuela didn't make a run.

It was disrespectful comments mainly because they are misinformed. Before making statements about another country/territory, educate yourself on their culture.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I get that the WBC is probably a bigger deal outside of the US....its basically stuck between March Madness and the beginning of the NBA playoffs. I think people here in the US would actually watch it if it was on a channel that was available to everyone....like ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX. Plus its on at the wrong time of the year. Not to mention a lot of good players aren't participating so its pretty hard to give a damn.

I thought they had a pretty good roster. Stanton, Arrenado, Brandon Crawford, Hosmer, Cutch, Daniel Murphy, Buster Posey Not that it matters now, but pitching didn't have a lot of big names.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19094865/ball-sticks-chest-protector-st-louis-cardinals-catcher-yadier-molina

Never seen that one before.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject:

I doubt that this will catch on, but it would be brilliant if it did.

The Goose Egg Stat
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I doubt that this will catch on, but it would be brilliant if it did.

The Goose Egg Stat

I think it will. Probably not as an official MLB stat for a bit, but fangraphs, baseball-prospectus -- all the top stat sites either already have proxies for things like this or will adopt something substantially on point. They already use leverage statistics to mark the top relief pitchers based on how intense a fire they put out, so to speak.

FWIW, I think the next revolution in baseball pitching will center around the use of the long-relief man. The Dodgers, due to injury and underperformance, have been active in using LRP to pitch 3 innings plus as a bridge from a starter to the back of the bully.

I think a fair argument could be made that it is the best use of pitching talent to have functionally 7 starters on a staff -- your typical 6-7 inning pitchers, and maybe a couple guys that do games together (one guy does innings 1-3, the next 3-6, then bully). With line-up stats showing pitchers perform best the first time through and perform better with longer rest, I think mixing-and-matching LRP's could be a productive move.

It will be tough for the guys that view themselves as starters and expect to paid as inning-eaters, but for the low-end starters that end up in the purgatory of middle-relief --- this is career-saving stuff.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Trout to the DL:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19492695/mike-trout-los-angeles-angels-shelved-torn-ligament-thumb

Those of you who are Angels fans have my sympathy. I think some witch doctor put a curse on your franchise.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Cards send Randall Grichuk down to single A, huge demotion. To think that the Angels drafted him one spot ahead of Trout. Evidently Trout is human, I had began to wonder.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Cards send Randall Grichuk down to single A, huge demotion. To think that the Angels drafted him one spot ahead of Trout. Evidently Trout is human, I had began to wonder.

I like Grichuk. Think he has a bright future.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Trout to the DL:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19492695/mike-trout-los-angeles-angels-shelved-torn-ligament-thumb

Those of you who are Angels fans have my sympathy. I think some witch doctor put a curse on your franchise.

Huge loss for baseball. He was having his finest season.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Trout to the DL:

Regular season wise, he's truly the position player equivalent of Clayton. Other dudes make MVP runs and their #'s are basically his typical season. I can make a list of these other (bleep). It's absurd how talented these guys are.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Trout to the DL:

Regular season wise, he's truly the position player equivalent of Clayton. Other dudes make MVP runs and their #'s are basically his typical season. I can make a list of these other (bleep). It's absurd how talented these guys are.

Agreed. You can easily make the argument that Clayton deserves two more CY than he has, and Trout 2 more MVP's.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject:

On another Angels-related note, I didn't realize that Pujols was at 598. The steroids era robbed this of some of its magic, sadly. 600 home runs was a mythic achievement when I was a kid.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
On another Angels-related note, I didn't realize that Pujols was at 598. The steroids era robbed this of some of its magic, sadly. 600 home runs was a mythic achievement when I was a kid.

The most homers by any player from the DR
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Anyone check out the bench clearing brawl between the Nats and the Gnats?

Could be my Doyer bias but, anyone else think Posey's a (bleep) for not protecting his pitcher?
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:

Could be my Doyer bias but, anyone else think Posey's a (bleep) for not protecting his pitcher?

Yes, check your bias on this one

Posey was 100% in the right there. The pitcher who beaned Harper did so because Harper hit two homers off him in the divisional series 3 years ago, a series which the Giants WON on the way to their WS win. It's a joke. Posey's body language showed what we all were thinking.

Posey is one of the only Giants I really like and I'd love to have him on the Dodgers.

Related: The unwritten rules of waiting several years to throw a baseball at Bryce Harper

Quote:
Buster Posey
Apparently, this is a thing. When Strickland hit Harper, Buster Posey’s shoulders collapsed in exasperation. Unlike what we’re used to, Posey didn’t try to protect his pitcher.

Posey is wearing a mask, so I can’t see if he’s giving the best you-idiot face of the year ... but I’m absolutely positive that he’s giving the best you-idiot face of the year.

He sat back behind home plate with a you-break-it-you-buy-it attitude, and I don’t blame him one bit. Like he needs to recover from a separated shoulder at age 30 because some doofus got his feelings hurt in 2014.

Last edited by DuncanIdaho on Tue May 30, 2017 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

Yes, check your bias on this one

Posey was 100% in the right there. The pitcher who beaned Harper did so because Harper hit two homers off him in the divisional series 3 years ago, a series which the Giants WON on the way to their WS win. It's a joke. Posey's body language showed what we all were thinking.

Posey is one of the only Giants I really like and I'd love to have him on the Dodgers.

Related: The unwritten rules of waiting several years to throw a baseball at Bryce Harper

no joke, I actually like him too. It's hard to hate on him but, even the most mild mannered, catcher (AJ Ellis) wasn't afraid to tackle Carlos Quentin to protect Greinke. You still have to protect your pitcher. At least make an attempt to run towards Harper
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: