LG-Exit Interviews (You are the GM)

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: LG-Exit Interviews (You are the GM)

If you were the Lakers FO, what would you tell our young core to work on?

DLO: in-between game, not overly relying on 3s and jumpshots. That would help with consistency instead of depending on a long jumper. Master defensive angles b/c he won’t have elite footspeed but he has great length. I think he can also pack on a good amount of muscle this summer.

Ingram: 1000 made 3s a day. 1000 made FTs a day. Hit the weights, work on getting lower on his defensive crouch as he has a high center of gravity. Keep on mastering that elbow post action where that is his kill zone.

Jules: 1000 made 3s a day. Increase stamina instead of relying on short bursts where it seems to sap his energy. Make off ball defensive awareness his priority.

JC: change mentality that he is a combo guard, meaning, it seems when he played “SG” that he thought he wasn’t allowed to pass. That kind of mindset needs to be eradicated. 1000 made 3s. His 3 point shot was very erratic this year.

Zubac: I would scrimmage guarding guys that are quicker and smaller than him. Needs to improve defensive awareness against perimeter players, not get slayed in that mid-range kill zone on PnRs and space. I would love for him to unleash a 3 point game this upcoming year.

Nance: work on trying to improve injury prevention. Seems banged up too often. 1000 made 3s and learning how to automatically take that open jumper. Way too many times he’s hesitating when wide open for a 12 footer.

Nwaba: jump shooting. Just a liability on offense without any threat of shooting.

Black: assuming he’s back (unlikely), work on that mid-range game.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject:

I didn't include Ennis. If he's back...umm, consistency?
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject:

Good topic

DLO - 1000 Made 3's a day. Spend the entire summer working on lower body...both lateral quickness and general strength. I think a lot of his defensive issues have to do with his quickness and not his strength.

Ingram - 1000 Made FT's a day, 1000 made 3's a day. Gain 10 lbs of muscle, high calorie diet with a ton of squats, dead lifts and curls.

Nance - 1000 made 3's a day, get into an intensive stretching program (expert level Pilates 6x a week).

Randle - 500 made FT's a day, 500 Made 18 footers a day, 500 made 3's a day. Run, a lot. After shooting drills, guy basically needs to train like he's going to run a half marathon in a few months. He is in poor shape and his decision making and defense suffers because of it.

JC - 1000 made 3's a day and needs to spend at least 2 hours a day watching film. He's in great shape, his mind needs the help. Training staff needs to put together offensive and defensive scheme videos for him along with videos of other similar players and how they are successful. After watching them, he needs to sit down with someone on the training staff and explain what he just watched. Basically BBIQ boot camp.

Zubac - He needs to train over the next 4-5 months like he is going to fight in the MMA. Intensive Calorie Intake, working out with free weights and active resistance 2 times a day 6 days a week for 2-3 hours at a time. Some basic wrestling practice would be good for him too. He needs to get bigger, meaner and learn about using his body leverage. I wouldn't have him touch a basketball all offseason, he needs to reshape his body moving towards a Marcin gortat type of physique.

NWABA - 1000 Made 3's a day and 1000 made free throws a day...which may take all day.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject:

If Ingram can hit 35% from 3, 80% from FTs...watch out.

I think DLO, if he can get more comfortable with his in-between game than he can have more consistency (i.e. get to the line more) when his 3 point jumper isn't falling.
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject:

So everyone just shoot a (bleep) load of 3s a day? Works for me!
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject:

Jokes aside. Really rooting for Nwaba. Love for him to be our 3&D sg. Even if not as starter, at least a solid rotation guy. He brought a defensive mindset that was refreshing.

(Oh and Ennis work on layups and finishing around the rim. Not saying hes Fisher bad but...)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

I really think the key for Zub's progress is playing against quicker "big men" and against a ton of PnR/switches in scrimmages, etc. His offense is coming along fine, it's his defense that needs a lot of work. That's probably why Moz will start if it's down to these two.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject:

We need a Chip Engellend as our shooting coach. Whoever our shooting coach is currently needs to be fired
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:
Jokes aside. Really rooting for Nwaba. Love for him to be our 3&D sg. Even if not as starter, at least a solid rotation guy. He brought a defensive mindset that was refreshing.

(Oh and Ennis work on layups and finishing around the rim. Not saying hes Fisher bad but...)

Yeah. Although from an actual defensive standpoint, Nwaba was a bit clueless (joined team late) he brought a physical presence out there. But against good teams in non-winding down of season, he will need a jumper of some sort otherwise he will be neutralized as a 10mpg max player.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject:

The young players taking endless shots is actually the least of my concerns. Shooting the ball is a given. I would expect nothing less from young players. Kind of the path of least resistance in a way.

My exit interviews would be heavy on the importance of the improvement of the defense next year. Collectively and individually. I would have specificsuggestions of coaches, drills, the film and the necessity of improved effort as a end result.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

DLo - Familiarize yourself with Indy car racing? Watch Hoosiers?

This offseason you have to decide if you want to be a player that has an 8-10 year career, gets traded a few times, and makes enough money to live comfortable for life....or do you want to be a franchise level player that leaves a mark on this organization and the league. If it's the latter, everything besides family must come second to basketball in your life from July through June every year. You have to bring it every night, and lead both vocally and more importantly by example. If you want the keys to the greatest basketball franchise in the world, there is a steep price to pay.

@ 21, your body should be able to begin maintaining more muscle and strength, and you need to work hard on your body this summer to ensure it is strong enough for 82 games and a playoff run.

Your a good shooter with a poor shooting %. The % has to come up, and that will happen with simply improving your shot and improving your shot selection. Need to work on getting to the basket, which will increase your FTA's....which need to increase per game. To be that special player, you need to be above average on the defensive end of the court.

Randle - To get to an All Star level, your mid range and 3 Point shooting must improve and actually become a threat on offense. Rest while your on the bench....have to bring it on both sides of the ball every possession. Off ball defense must improve....pick 4 or 5 of the most common off ball defensive reads for your position, and study as much film as possible on those specific items. Become more consistant with basics including boxing out and screen setting.

Outside of shooting, no player will benefit more from mastering the fundementals.

Ingram - Get stronger, get stronger, and get stronger. 3 Point shooting and FT shooting must improve. Work on lateral quickness and on ball defense. Work on footwork in the post and high post. Finally, get stronger.

Nance - Continue working on your jump shot, both mid range and 3 point shot. Get stronger because you will continue to see time @ the #5 as well as the #4.

Zubac - Work on your lateral quickness and team defensive reads. The difference in you being on the court or on the bench will depend on your ability to improve your defense. Continue working on your jump shot extending out to the 3.

Black - work on your offensive game and getting a consistant mid range jump shot. Work in keeping the ball high in the post, and prevent allowing defenders hands from getting to ball before getting shot off. Improve footwork in the post.

Clarkson - 3 point shooting has to improve. Work on playing at different speeds. Understand the role that your playing....sometimes your in a role that we need you to score, and sometimes your on the court with guys that need you to create shots for them. Have to transition from being a hard working defender to a smart defender that works hard.

Nwaba - mid range and 3 point shooting. Needs to tighten up handle.

TRob - exactly what you said in exit interview....become a superstar in your role. Build your game off of the idea of Dennis Rodman with a mid range jumper and a better handle.

Brewer - just improve your shooting...please.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject:

DLo - focus on tightening handles, continue to work on in-between game, three, getting to the basket, continue improving strength/athleticism, and watch film on the offensive end
Randle - shoot a ton of threes in the offseason, watch film on the defensive end, and improve conditioning significantly
Clarkson - shoot a ton of threes and watch film on the offensive/defensive end, in terms of making reads as a secondary ball handler
Ingram - shoot a ton of threes, freethrows, bulk up, and work on footwork/isolation techniques
Zubac - improve lateral quickness defensively, which will be a major key, whether he is a NBA caliber starter, he has all the tools offensively, but he'll need to be able to do more than soft hedge in the PnR
Nance - work on shooting, particularly from three, and bulking up more to hang with stronger bigs
Nwaba - just shoot all summer long
Brewer - just shoot all summer long
Ennis - work on being a knock down three point shooter and handles
Tarik - work on being more than just an energy big, try to expand range beyond the basket
TRob - develop a jump shot and better feel for the game through watching film
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Regarding Dlo - telling him to work on his leadership ability is weird imo. People naturally have it or grow into the position through experience and circumstance. I don't know that reading a book will make you level up and just because you're loud aka bossy makes you a "leader". I think this is where Magic is misguided. He himself has natural charisma and leadership ability and just thinks that its easy for everyone else to replicate that. Reminds me of the time I was talking to a 20 something coworker and he said, "oh yea, dating is pretty easy, you talk to them and they go out with you" (he wasn't being a dick, he was just naïve about it) And I'm like "dude, you're 5'10, a above average looking guy, has an interesting job and easy going - its not hard for you.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Magic will always be unfair to whomever is the PG for the Lakers just as being Michael Jordan's shooting guard must have been a miserable experience.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject:

I'm from the school of thought that less is more. So i would have the whole team hit only 150 - 300 3's a day and run the normal drills teams do.

I would also have them hit the weight room, meditate and fix their diet.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Damn Yinoma, this sounds a lot like homework. And I've been done with school for quite a while now!

DLO - You look up.

BI - B Kobe.

Jules - Ever been to the Indy 500?

JC - There's a young, female Baldwin in NY also. She plays for the other team, but none the less a Baldwin. Plus you can expand your fashion line.

Swag - Thanks for opting out and signing for less!

Deng - You made a name in Chi. Phil made a name in Chi. I'll give you his number. He's looking for an overpaid 3 who should be playing the 4.

Moz - Sorry, but we changed the locks while you were gone.

Ron - Buck Foston. Thank You!

Black - Can you grow 6 more inches and shoot from 3 and defend the perimeter on switches?

Zu - Three words. Pre-Nup.

Nance - We can Nance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind... Just kidding. Keep shooting.

Nwaba - Can you dunk from the 3 point line, cause that would really help us out a lot.

Brewer - You, Noah, & Horford should have gone for a 3-peat. Because if I told you guys Mo Buckets would be the only one with a ring, you'd probably want to run that one back, right? Am I right?

TRob - Grab a jersey out of that locker right there. Oh, don't worry that it says D-Fenders on it. Try it on. See how it fits. You look boss!

Ennis - Oh yeaaaaahhh. I kinda forgot about you. Hold on, let me pull up Wikipedia on my phone. Damn, Wifi keeps disconnecting. Don't you hate that? Okay, Now I-N-I-S, right?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: