LAKERS vs CELTICS: Race to the next championship
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
the celtics have a better team and are in a much easier conference.

but lebron is going to be in the finals for the next 3-4 years.

after that time, the celtics can take his throne.

well hopefully that lines up with our timetable of returning to dominance
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject:

^ The Celtics arguably have no good prospects on their team right now. They really have to nail their two Brooklyn picks. Them being the future of the East is sooooooo far from a lock
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
^ The Celtics arguably have no good prospects on their team right now. They really have to nail their two Brooklyn picks. Them being the future of the East is sooooooo far from a lock

The East is pretty weak. It wasn't surprising to me that the Celtics lost to the Bulls today, or that Cleveland (at home) only beat the Pacers by 1 point and that Milwaukee upset Toronto (at home). All of the teams are stacked so close together because none are that good. Personally, I think San Antonio, Golden State and Houston all beat Boston in a series. Cleveland is the only one with a shot of winning it all, but they need to step on the gas.

Boston is currently set up to be a perpetual playoff contender, but not title contender for the foreseeable future unless they bring in another all star type talent. Horford isn't getting any younger, and IT had a season for his career(which who knows if he can replicate again). Jaylen Brown is still an unknown and, regardless, doesn't feel like a player who's ceiling is much higher than a slight upgrade from Jae Crowder. If you consider Jaylen Brown their best prospect, I'd take Ingram, Russell and Randle all over him every day of the week.

Boston really needs to hit it big this summer with a trade, free agent or its draft pick, or it may just be stuck in this good, but not good enough category for the indefinite future.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject:

2017-2018 lineup

Ball
Russell
Ingram
Melo
Mozgov

Lol.

I'm telling yall. Maybe Luke and magic get Melo to buy in to team ball.

But i think magic is gonna go hard after Melo.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
There FO knows how to collect assets, there is a reason why they had the upper-hand in the KG trade talk back in 2007... they always collect the pieces to make a big move down the road... this team simply doesn't have the resources... hate the Celtics as much as you want but there IQ and basketball knowledge is really solid.
wow, we really think the grass is always greener on some other side. now the celtics side too. lol.

until the celtics do something worth something. i aint buying what they're selling. the celtics won 1 title in how long? ONE.

ONE

It's very easy to stockpile picks when you're team is sorry, and when you choose to drop all of your aging guys to hurry up and hit rock bottom. its also easier to look decent in a sorry eastern conf.

the lakers are in the toughest conference hands down. if you're not good, you will look horrible. there is no inbetween for sorry teams in the west. you suck, you look bad. its that simple. in the east. you can suck but still look average.

get a few top picks and bam you look like a top 3 seed in the east.

but in reality you aint beating any western conf teams. so you're just showing up to the playoffs just to say you did.

Thats not what the lakers are about. what we build is build for dynasties. not a one off win and bad teams for a long time.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
There FO knows how to collect assets, there is a reason why they had the upper-hand in the KG trade talk back in 2007... they always collect the pieces to make a big move down the road... this team simply doesn't have the resources... hate the Celtics as much as you want but there IQ and basketball knowledge is really solid.
wow, we really think the grass is always greener on some other side. now the celtics side too. lol.

until the celtics do something worth something. i aint buying what they're selling. the celtics won 1 title in how long? ONE.

ONE

It's very easy to stockpile picks when you're team is sorry, and when you choose to drop all of your aging guys to hurry up and hit rock bottom. its also easier to look decent in a sorry eastern conf.

the lakers are in the toughest conference hands down. if you're not good, you will look horrible. there is no inbetween for sorry teams in the west. you suck, you look bad. its that simple. in the east. you can suck but still look average.

get a few top picks and bam you look like a top 3 seed in the east.

but in reality you aint beating any western conf teams. so you're just showing up to the playoffs just to say you did.

Thats not what the lakers are about. what we build is build for dynasties. not a one off win and bad teams for a long time.

Amen splashmtn!
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
32 wrote:
BirdMagicLegend wrote:
Come on Laker fans. I know you are biased here but there is no way the Celtics and Lakers are in the same position because neither team will win the championship. That is like saying every team except Warriors, Spurs and Cavs is in the same position because they have little to no shot to win the championship. It's ridiculous.

I think the Celtics are doing a good job of contending now (one piece away) and building for the future with high draft picks.

I agree.

They still do not have a potential franchise player like we do in BI, but dang if they get a lotto pick next year, they can nab one.

Thomas is more of a franchise player than Brandon is likely to ever be honestly.

This is absolutely false. But hey, let's decide the ceilings for all 19 year olds in the league.

Just basing it on what i've seen from both players. Huge Duke fan so i've seen a lot of Brandon, his lack of ball handling just concerns me and i think it's going to really hold him back from being a franchise type player. I definitely wouldn't leap frog him over a guy like Thomas who has been really good for the Celtics.

I don't get it.
Dude went coast to coast a couple dozen times
He has advanced set-up moves for a 19 year old wing, enabling his favorite hesitation
dusting Durant
Crafty out of triple threat, with the jab crossover beating a guard
hesitation beating a guard, beating guys left often

Feel like a 10% improvement in quickness would make him absolutely unstoppable in the future (with natural ball handling maturation)

kobeandgary is either trolling or he must not have seen much of BI since he was at Duke, but IIRC, that's not anything new.

I seem to vaguely remember similar posts about other stuff in the past that had we wondering
"Does this guy even watch the games ?"

He clearly doesn't watch anytime the Celtics are on defense and IT is getting abused, which compromises their entire D.

There's not a GM in the league that was building a team for the long-term who'd take IT (who is a good not great player who's going to want to get paid after next season) over BI (elite potential on a rookie deal).
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject:

I believe we have a better look than Celtics. We start from stocking talent with high offensive ceiling in Randle, Russell and Ingram and develop them, then adding defensive players and role players. However, Celtics start from stocking defensive talent. But championship teams need offensive talent. Even they have Nets' picks, I just wonder if they can afford to wait until those young players mature, not to mention this year' top prospects are PG and SF which they have already stock many good players at those position
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
32 wrote:
BirdMagicLegend wrote:
Come on Laker fans. I know you are biased here but there is no way the Celtics and Lakers are in the same position because neither team will win the championship. That is like saying every team except Warriors, Spurs and Cavs is in the same position because they have little to no shot to win the championship. It's ridiculous.

I think the Celtics are doing a good job of contending now (one piece away) and building for the future with high draft picks.

I agree.

They still do not have a potential franchise player like we do in BI, but dang if they get a lotto pick next year, they can nab one.

Thomas is more of a franchise player than Brandon is likely to ever be honestly.

This is absolutely false. But hey, let's decide the ceilings for all 19 year olds in the league.

Just basing it on what i've seen from both players. Huge Duke fan so i've seen a lot of Brandon, his lack of ball handling just concerns me and i think it's going to really hold him back from being a franchise type player. I definitely wouldn't leap frog him over a guy like Thomas who has been really good for the Celtics.

I don't get it.
Dude went coast to coast a couple dozen times
He has advanced set-up moves for a 19 year old wing, enabling his favorite hesitation
dusting Durant
Crafty out of triple threat, with the jab crossover beating a guard
hesitation beating a guard, beating guys left often

Feel like a 10% improvement in quickness would make him absolutely unstoppable in the future (with natural ball handling maturation)

kobeandgary is either trolling or he must not have seen much of BI since he was at Duke, but IIRC, that's not anything new.

I seem to vaguely remember similar posts about other stuff in the past that had we wondering
"Does this guy even watch the games ?"

He clearly doesn't watch anytime the Celtics are on defense and IT is getting abused, which compromises their entire D.

There's not a GM in the league that was building a team for the long-term who'd take IT (who is a good not great player who's going to want to get paid after next season) over BI (elite potential on a rookie deal).

I get league pass every single year and have watched Thomas dominate many a fourth quarter. Sure he isn't going to go out there and lock up Irving or Westbrook, but neither is anybody else. He will get the same 30 dropped on him that every other point guard will get. He can go back at them and get that 30 back on offense though. Ingram has a long way to go before he is leading us to a number one record, or even to the playoffs for that matter. I'm not even sure how many years it will take him before he is the best player on a bad team.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject:

crazy but I think Celtics need to upgrade their stars (Isaiah and Hortford) if they wanna content with the Cavs/Spurs/GS of the world. Their role players are one of the best in the league
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

The East is pretty weak. It wasn't surprising to me that the Celtics lost to the Bulls today, or that Cleveland (at home) only beat the Pacers by 1 point and that Milwaukee upset Toronto (at home). All of the teams are stacked so close together because none are that good. Personally, I think San Antonio, Golden State and Houston all beat Boston in a series. Cleveland is the only one with a shot of winning it all, but they need to step on the gas.

Boston is currently set up to be a perpetual playoff contender, but not title contender for the foreseeable future unless they bring in another all star type talent. Horford isn't getting any younger, and IT had a season for his career(which who knows if he can replicate again). Jaylen Brown is still an unknown and, regardless, doesn't feel like a player who's ceiling is much higher than a slight upgrade from Jae Crowder. If you consider Jaylen Brown their best prospect, I'd take Ingram, Russell and Randle all over him every day of the week.

Boston really needs to hit it big this summer with a trade, free agent or its draft pick, or it may just be stuck in this good, but not good enough category for the indefinite future.

1000%.
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

1000%.

There are major concerns with Horford, last 4 seasons:
Pts 18.6 - 15.2 - 15.2 - 14.0
FG% 57% - 54% - 51% - 47%
Made 3s 0.1 - 0.1 - 1.1 -1.3
Reb 8.4 - 7.2 - 7.3 - 6.8
Ast 2.6 - 3.2 - 3.2 - 5.0

Basically, his FG% has dropped each of the last 3 years. Same with Reb. He has compensated with a 3 per game and passing more. The trajectory does not look good for someone who will be 31 in June.

He did look good in his first playoff game versus Sideshow Bob, but did not get much done tonight.

Oh, he has three more years on his contract: $ 27.7M - 28.9M - 30.1M Wonderful
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately it "Aint ova yet."
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject:

I'm enjoying the Celtic fans' general level of distraught-ness. From reddit

Quote:
First, Danny Ainge could have traded a pick and TERRY ROZIER for (bleep) SERGE IBAKA at the trade deadline. All Terry Rozier does is take snapchat videos of himself rapping poorly while driving on the freeway. Look at some of the players on this "1 seed" team. Tyler Zeller received significant minutes in the most important game of the year. Could you find a player less athletic than Kelly Olynyk? Would you take Julius Randle over Marcus Smart? Because our sub somehow thinks Smart is better. These guys and our fifty six thousand draft picks were untouchable to Danny Ainge though.

City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:

Quote:
First, Danny Ainge could have traded a pick and TERRY ROZIER for (bleep) SERGE IBAKA at the trade deadline. All Terry Rozier does is take snapchat videos of himself rapping poorly while driving on the freeway. Look at some of the players on this "1 seed" team. Tyler Zeller received significant minutes in the most important game of the year. Could you find a player less athletic than Kelly Olynyk? Would you take Julius Randle over Marcus Smart? Because our sub somehow thinks Smart is better. These guys and our fifty six thousand draft picks were untouchable to Danny Ainge though.

See avatar.

!...
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9vvs_mXsAEaWEz.jpg:large

Yikes
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:

Yikes

He has a bad roster. I don't really blame him.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Yikes

He has a weird roster of good three point shooters, but not enough rebounders to win a series and their two best players, have flaws that can be easily exploited. I think Chicago is a god awful matchup for them because Isaiah doesn't have anywhere to hide on a spot up shooter defensively, as Wade/Rondo/Butler are all shot creators and Chicago has a lot of size. That being said, I'd expect him to have more than two wins in the playoffs in 3 years, for how he's praised as a coaching prodigy.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Boston has a team full of above average role players with one all-star. If you play hard and disciplined with that talent level over 82 games, you'll win a fair amount of games. However, those flaws (i.e. the lack of players who can take over games) reveals itself quite quickly when an NBA team can game plan for you over an entire series in the playoffs. That's why they aren't that good and have a ceiling to their success.

Unfortunately, they also don't really have any prospects right now that can grow into those roles or make them that better in the future from internal improvement/growth. They have to bring in some external talent somehow, or else they will remain in NBA limbo. That's why we are ahead of them, IMO.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
tox wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Yikes

He has a weird roster of good three point shooters, but not enough rebounders to win a series and their two best players, have flaws that can be easily exploited. I think Chicago is a god awful matchup for them because Isaiah doesn't have anywhere to hide on a spot up shooter defensively, as Wade/Rondo/Butler are all shot creators and Chicago has a lot of size. That being said, I'd expect him to have more than two wins in the playoffs in 3 years, for how he's praised as a coaching prodigy.

He got swept by the Cavs, no harm in that. Lost 2-4 to the Hawks... eh I guess that part is fair criticism. And now he's down 0-2 to a team that's much better built for the playoffs. That 2-10 record is like holding LeBron's 3-4 Finals record against them, even though one of those losses was when he was 22 and another was when Mozgov was his best (or second best) teammate. It's a good talking point without context, but with it... it's not nearly as damning.

I think LS summed it up pretty well. The Celtics way overachieved their talent level -- they are well-coached and disciplined, and that's why they were really good against bad teams. Against playoff teams, they didn't have a .500 record and it's why I wasn't concerned about them making the Finals. The Bulls are fundamentally a better team than them when it comes to the playoffs, IMO.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:

Quote:

Best Player Available > Archetype

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
The Logo wrote:
tox wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Yikes

He got swept by the Cavs, no harm in that. Lost 2-4 to the Hawks... eh I guess that part is fair criticism. And now he's down 0-2 to a team that's much better built for the playoffs. That 2-10 record is like holding LeBron's 3-4 Finals record against them, even though one of those losses was when he was 22 and another was when Mozgov was his best (or second best) teammate. It's a good talking point without context, but with it... it's not nearly as damning.

I think LS summed it up pretty well. The Celtics way overachieved their talent level -- they are well-coached and disciplined, and that's why they were really good against bad teams. Against playoff teams, they didn't have a .500 record and it's why I wasn't concerned about them making the Finals. The Bulls are fundamentally a better team than them when it comes to the playoffs, IMO.

Fair point. For the record, I think that he's a great coach and will be a great one for a long time. I certainly don't think that record will stick and to be fair, Isaiah had the exact same flaws as last year against the Hawks and wasn't nearly the offensive player he is today and they had the same flaws as this year's roster, except with no Horford. The statistic, when thinking about it more thoroughly, isn't anything significant, with context. The Bulls are a weird team, little to no shooting, but with all their shot creating ability and veteran leadership, you'd hate to face them in the playoffs.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Boston has a team full of above average role players with one all-star. If you play hard and disciplined with that talent level over 82 games, you'll win a fair amount of games. However, those flaws (i.e. the lack of players who can take over games) reveals itself quite quickly when an NBA team can game plan for you over an entire series in the playoffs. That's why they aren't that good and have a ceiling to their success.

Unfortunately, they also don't really have any prospects right now that can grow into those roles or make them that better in the future from internal improvement/growth. They have to bring in some external talent somehow, or else they will remain in NBA limbo. That's why we are ahead of them, IMO.

This.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject:

The Celtics are the 90's Atlanta braves.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The Celtics are the 90's Atlanta braves.

Well they did win the world series.

Last edited by 32 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 23 of 32
Jump to: