D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19182325/nba-qa-mike-dantoni-first-year-houston-rockets-coaching-james-harden

Then Los Angeles, we just didn't have a chance. There were just injuries, and people were pretty stubborn in their roles, and it's like "sorry guys, this is not me. It's not going to work right here." So, things happen, and you coach, you learn, you go on and you hope for a better situation.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
Then Los Angeles, we just didn't have a chance. There were just injuries, and people were pretty stubborn in their roles, and it's like "sorry guys, this is not me. It's not going to work right here." So, things happen, and you coach, you learn, you go on and you hope for a better situation.

LOL! He's speaking about himself right here!
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

Big Game James wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:

At first I thought he was taking a shot at Kobe then I thought Pau
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject:

Everyone was stubborn. The situation just did not work. No point in rehashing yet again. I'm glad he's moved on to a great (possibly COY) situation for him, and we have a promising young coach and promising young talent and we can all just move forward.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Everyone was stubborn. The situation just did not work. No point in rehashing yet again. I'm glad he's moved on to a great (possibly COY) situation for him, and we have a promising young coach and promising young talent and we can all just move forward.

Thanks leave at this guys!!!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:

And Howard who didn't want to PnR.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:

That's all Dwight right there.
GoldenThroat

Big Game James wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:

Remember when having Pau Gasol shoot 28 three pointers was a crime against basketball, and he openly pouted about it?

Yeah, he just set an NBA record for the highest 3pt% in NBA history from someone with 100+ attempts. (53.8%)

We were (and in many ways ARE) the organizational equivalent of the old man in his rocking chair yelling about the good old days.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
TDRock wrote:

Lol

No I was more referring to all these type of throw-back, rehash articles that dredge up old ish for no reason. As a fan I'm not interested in going backward, I'm about our promising future.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:

Postup master Dwight.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject:

We fired one of the best coaches in the league for Byron Scott and then a poor man's version of D'Antoni in Walton.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
TDRock wrote:

Lol

No I was more referring to all these type of throw-back, rehash articles that dredge up old ish for no reason. As a fan I'm not interested in going backward, I'm about our promising future.

That's what I agreeing with!!
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

GoldenThroat wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:

Remember when having Pau Gasol shoot 28 three pointers was a crime against basketball, and he openly pouted about it?

Yeah, he just set an NBA record for the highest 3pt% in NBA history from someone with 100+ attempts. (53.8%)

We were (and in many ways ARE) the organizational equivalent of the old man in his rocking chair yelling about the good old days.

Haha man I just remember arguing with my group of friends about Dantoni and they all thought I was crazy. Now they know better
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject:

we actually had a chance if not for the achilles. We were on a roll at the end of the season
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
we actually had a chance if not for the achilles. We were on a roll at the end of the season

Imagine if we got had kobe in the playoffs!!

It would be like the Bulls this year but even crazier! no one would have wanted to play us.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

Big Game James wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:

no, he's speaking about Dwight "I don't wanna pick and roll, I wanna prove I'm a post up big like Hakeem" Howard. and Pau "phoning it in and getting conveniently hurt before trade deadline" Gasol.

Last edited by MJST on Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
We fired one of the best coaches in the league for Byron Scott and then a poor man's version of D'Antoni in Walton.

I wouldn't go that far, at least in terms of Walton. D'Antoni can coach his ass off, but he's isn't great with people, and that's been a problem for him at multiple stops. Luke has that ability in spades. Even if he's not a great X's & O's guy at this point, you can find assistants who specialize in that. The assistant coaches are where this team needs to upgrade IMO.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject:

MDA was never the problem, just not for this town and this organization. the Laker and Kobe brands are way too much for him to over come when he tried to put his fingerprints on the team. can you imaging Kobe played the role Harden is now and we traded Pau or even Dwight for some 3 and D wing players, the outcome would've been much different.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
TDRock wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
TDRock wrote:

Lol

That's what I agreeing with!!

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
MDA was never the problem, just not for this town and this organization. the Laker and Kobe brands are way too much for him to over come when he tried to put his fingerprints on the team. can you imaging Kobe played the role Harden is now and we traded Pau or even Dwight for some 3 and D wing players, the outcome would've been much different.

The mistake was in not trading Pau, he wasn't a fit with that team and Dwight.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

MDA only knows how to coach one way, one system one side of the court. He can't adapt to players he has and has no defensive schemes. He great at coaching one offense but that's it.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Walton is an exceptional communicator and has an openness to basketball philosophies that has led him to emulate and teach modern principles to players that he gets to buy in. D'Antoni is an offensive genius who has only shown the ability to work with people who share his vision. Both bring a lot to the table but they're nothing alike.

And we didn't fire MD. He left after LA refused to guarantee a future year on his contract. The perception that he was fired comes more from the fact that he wasn't a good fit with the roster who had entitlement issues. Scott was a much better fit in some regards b/c MD would have prevented landing Russell and Ingram while not making the team good enough to have a long term plan worth following.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I can imagine it because he did!

He finished the season as the teams point guard and was putting up ridiculous numbers at 35? Those were some of the best Kobe games ever.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I wouldn't go that far, at least in terms of Walton. D'Antoni can coach his ass off, but he's isn't great with people, and that's been a problem for him at multiple stops. Luke has that ability in spades. Even if he's not a great X's & O's guy at this point, you can find assistants who specialize in that. The assistant coaches are where this team needs to upgrade IMO.

Except he has full authority on the assistants and basically hired a bunch of his friends. If you're Magic and Pelinka do you step in and make changes?
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
MDA only knows how to coach one way, one system one side of the court. He can't adapt to players he has and has no defensive schemes. He great at coaching one offense but that's it.

This is false.

And even if true who cares? there team is 3rd in the west with only one star in Harden and a bunch of "role player"
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: