D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

GoldenThroat wrote:

We were (and in many ways ARE) the organizational equivalent of the old man in his rocking chair yelling about the good old days.

Yeah, we really played ourselves in retrospect. Yours truly especially.

!...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
We fired one of the best coaches in the league for Byron Scott and then a poor man's version of D'Antoni in Walton.

I wouldn't go that far, at least in terms of Walton. D'Antoni can coach his ass off, but he's isn't great with people, and that's been a problem for him at multiple stops. Luke has that ability in spades. Even if he's not a great X's & O's guy at this point, you can find assistants who specialize in that. The assistant coaches are where this team needs to upgrade IMO.

Except he has full authority on the assistants and basically hired a bunch of his friends. If you're Magic and Pelinka do you step in and make changes?

No, that would be incredibly stupid of them.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
We fired one of the best coaches in the league for Byron Scott and then a poor man's version of D'Antoni in Walton.

I wouldn't go that far, at least in terms of Walton. D'Antoni can coach his ass off, but he's isn't great with people, and that's been a problem for him at multiple stops. Luke has that ability in spades. Even if he's not a great X's & O's guy at this point, you can find assistants who specialize in that. The assistant coaches are where this team needs to upgrade IMO.

Except he has full authority on the assistants and basically hired a bunch of his friends. If you're Magic and Pelinka do you step in and make changes?

This Sixers did it with Brett Brown (Mike D'Antoni, coincidentally) and it didn't cause any friction.

EDIT: I'm sure Brown didn't like it but his job is secure.

Last edited by greenfrog on Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
MDA only knows how to coach one way, one system one side of the court. He can't adapt to players he has and has no defensive schemes. He great at coaching one offense but that's it.

This is false.

And even if true who cares? there team is 3rd in the west with only one star in Harden and a bunch of "role player"

He's fools gold. His teams never have enough defense to win it all.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
MDA only knows how to coach one way, one system one side of the court. He can't adapt to players he has and has no defensive schemes. He great at coaching one offense but that's it.

This is false.

And even if true who cares? there team is 3rd in the west with only one star in Harden and a bunch of "role player"

hmmm? I wonder if that's the coaches fault
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

The Lebrons wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
Then Los Angeles, we just didn't have a chance. There were just injuries, and people were pretty stubborn in their roles, and it's like "sorry guys, this is not me. It's not going to work right here." So, things happen, and you coach, you learn, you go on and you hope for a better situation.

LOL! He's speaking about himself right here!

At first I thought he was taking a shot at Kobe then I thought Pau

That's all Dwight right there.

I know that is exactly who MDA was referring to. But ironically that statement applies the most to himself. He was easily the most stubborn coach I have ever seen. He had no clue how to best utilize the talent he was given. He ran the team like it was Phoenix or Houston. Problem is, his personnel should have dictated a big adjustment. MDA just couldn't handle anything but his way.

He's only a coach of the year candidate because he's in the right situation for his one track mind to succeed.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

GoldenThroat wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
Then Los Angeles, we just didn't have a chance. There were just injuries, and people were pretty stubborn in their roles, and it's like "sorry guys, this is not me. It's not going to work right here." So, things happen, and you coach, you learn, you go on and you hope for a better situation.

Remember when having Pau Gasol shoot 28 three pointers was a crime against basketball, and he openly pouted about it?

Yeah, he just set an NBA record for the highest 3pt% in NBA history from someone with 100+ attempts. (53.8%)

He still was wrong at the time as Pau shot 28.6%, going 12-42 in two years under MDA. It took three years before he was an actual threat.

Being too far ahead of the curve doesn't help short term.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

Big Game James wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:

I know that is exactly who MDA was referring to. But ironically that statement applies the most to himself. He was easily the most stubborn coach I have ever seen. He had no clue how to best utilize the talent he was given. He ran the team like it was Phoenix or Houston. Problem is, his personnel should have dictated a big adjustment. MDA just couldn't handle anything but his way.

He's only a coach of the year candidate because he's in the right situation for his one track mind to succeed.

it works both ways though, the players have to look at the system the coach brings and see what they can put into it. We all thought Dwight was going to be Amare Stoudemire on steroids and then Dwight was setting the worst picks in human history and not even trying to roll to the basket. On the other hand, Jodie Meeks saw the system, said, "my god" and used, yes "used" D'Antoni to get himself a big contract.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
it works both ways though, the players have to look at the system the coach brings and see what they can put into it. We all thought Dwight was going to be Amare Stoudemire on steroids and then Dwight was setting the worst picks in human history and not even trying to roll to the basket. On the other hand, Jodie Meeks saw the system, said, "my god" and used, yes "used" D'Antoni to get himself a big contract.

Dwight never wanted to be here. That pretty much soiled the whole experiment from the start. The next season, with a full training camp (I'm amazed how people expected him to craft and implement a system on the fly), he had the team playing .500 ball until Kobe came back and the injuries crippled them.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
MDA was never the problem, just not for this town and this organization. the Laker and Kobe brands are way too much for him to over come when he tried to put his fingerprints on the team. can you imaging Kobe played the role Harden is now and we traded Pau or even Dwight for some 3 and D wing players, the outcome would've been much different.

The mistake was in not trading Pau, he wasn't a fit with that team and Dwight.

Or trading Dwight when he had far better trade value and then running Pau at C which is almost perfect for MDA's offense.

Who knows what we could have got for Dwight but I imagine it would have been a decent return.

MDA was never the problem in full-

Fist of all, he got hired instead of Phil which made him public enemy #1 even though he had done no wrong and Kobe even endorsed him ("until he knew Phil was an option").

Then trying to fit Dwight into his offense was tough enough and moving Pau to the bench vilified him even more.

He over played Kobe because we weren't winning otherwise and then pop went the Achilles.

I mean, Kobe, Nash, and Earl freakin Clark all got into it with Dwight that season. It was on Mitch and Jim for not trading him when we had the chance. And yes, Kobe was stubborn to for not trying to let Dwight even feel like he was more than Tyson Chandler-- however true or untrue that statement was/is.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

This is false.

hmmm? I wonder if that's the coaches fault

Well that's MO of all his teams. Unless every single one of his players refuse to play defense, it's on him.
JH from Hemet
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:

I might be wrong but I just feel that Pringles was not the right coach for the players we had.....I would even go so far as to say he would do better with our current group.

Our legend star was getting long in the tooth......as was the players we brought in to work with him......Pao also was no spring chicken anymore......we needed young legs

Now we have them.....but they need time to develop.....onward and upward
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Top coach when given the right tools. Bad fit with the roster at the time.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Nash getting injured screwed us, Nash was supposed to make life easier for MDA so the situation going down hill isn't surprising.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

yup- Antoni has never made it to the finals. I would much rather have Luke. We will see how the Rox do against better competition.

That said I am glad that Antoni is having success, that was sure a crap show he got himself into with the Lakers and Jimbo not taking Phil back and all that stuff. Pretty impossible situation.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

GoldenThroat wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:

Remember when having Pau Gasol shoot 28 three pointers was a crime against basketball, and he openly pouted about it?

Yeah, he just set an NBA record for the highest 3pt% in NBA history from someone with 100+ attempts. (53.8%)

We were (and in many ways ARE) the organizational equivalent of the old man in his rocking chair yelling about the good old days.

boyyyy when he said straight post ups were the most inefficient play in basketball he was almost assassinated

Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

Big Game James wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:

Couldn't you say that about a lot of coaches though. Phil is still running his triangle despite not being the coach or having Tex Winters around, while Pops and Doc have the fortunate situation to draft/sign who they want/need (which should be, but not always the, bpa). Coaches coach what they know and if they're decent, they'll get into the recycle process and get rehired.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Top coach when given the right tools. Bad fit with the roster at the time.

he's a system coach. If you are not going to surround him with players that fit into his system you might as well not hire him
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

This Sixers did it with Brett Brown (Mike D'Antoni, coincidentally) and it didn't cause any friction.

EDIT: I'm sure Brown didn't like it but his job is secure.

The 76ers are a rudderless ship, using them as something to aspire toward is a bad idea. The current FO is solid on Luke and they won't insult him by asking him to change coaches after one season in which the team showed progress.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
MDA was never the problem, just not for this town and this organization. the Laker and Kobe brands are way too much for him to over come when he tried to put his fingerprints on the team. can you imaging Kobe played the role Harden is now and we traded Pau or even Dwight for some 3 and D wing players, the outcome would've been much different.

Or trading Dwight when he had far better trade value
and then running Pau at C which is almost perfect for MDA's offense.

Who knows what we could have got for Dwight but I imagine it would have been a decent return.

MDA was never the problem in full-

Fist of all, he got hired instead of Phil which made him public enemy #1 even though he had done no wrong and Kobe even endorsed him ("until he knew Phil was an option").

Then trying to fit Dwight into his offense was tough enough and moving Pau to the bench vilified him even more.

He over played Kobe because we weren't winning otherwise and then pop went the Achilles.

I mean, Kobe, Nash, and Earl freakin Clark all got into it with Dwight that season. It was on Mitch and Jim for not trading him when we had the chance. And yes, Kobe was stubborn to for not trying to let Dwight even feel like he was more than Tyson Chandler-- however true or untrue that statement was/is.

Why would we make a trade for Howard and then turn right around and deal him? Why make the trade in the first place if you aren't willing to give him time with his new team?
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

GoldenThroat wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:

The Front Office said that they believed this style was the future of the NBA. They may have been just a year or two early. There is also so many people in the organization just obsessed with how Basketball was.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject:

JH from Hemet wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

I might be wrong but I just feel that Pringles was not the right coach for the players we had.....I would even go so far as to say he would do better with our current group.

Our legend star was getting long in the tooth......as was the players we brought in to work with him......Pao also was no spring chicken anymore......we needed young legs

Now we have them.....but they need time to develop.....onward and upward

TBH, that team had many problems and was NOT constructed that great. The FO had done the best that they could to give KB one last chance, but there were a lot of pieces that didnt fit well both in terms of BBALL and EGO.

The best hope for that team was Nash running the team and getting everyone the ball in the right position; and I think MDA was the best to facilitate that. Nash went down, so did we. Period.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject:

This is what losing does to fans, looking back with fondness to other failed seasons in the past.
LOL at people saying MDA is a top coach because he's winning some games in the regular season, but when someone else says he's never been to the Finals then it's the players fault.
He lucked into the Rockets with an established superstar and a very good GM.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
This is what losing does to fans, looking back with fondness to other failed seasons in the past.
LOL at people saying MDA is a top coach because he's winning some games in the regular season, but when someone else says he's never been to the Finals then it's the players fault.
He lucked into the Rockets with an established superstar and a very good GM.

That established superstar and very good GM were there last year and they were an 8th seed.

And there's nothing inconsistent about the idea that he wins them some regular season games, but the fact that he's never been to the Finals is the player's fault. He takes his teams about as far as they're capable of going, which is the coach's job.

When they lose in the playoffs this year it'll be because someone like Patrick Beverly or Eric Gordon is their 2nd best player, not because MDA failed.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Pau would have been likely traded for Ryan Anderson and likely some other pieces, but he got conveniently 'unhealthy' around the deadline.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: