Lakers Should Honor Mitch Kupchack Next Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject:

I still feel real bad for Mitch and John Black. They both deserved better than that. Obviously it is tough being caught up in the middle of family drama.

I am not sure what the deal was with John Black, but I assumed Jeanie has some resentment for Mitch being Jim's right hand man and not reporting to her.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
rwongega wrote:
He eventually will when time passes. Unfortunately, he allied himself with the wrong Buss and had to go down with his inbred captain.

He didn't ally himself with any Buss. He only did his job. Overreaction by Jeanie, but I hope she can learn from it.

No overreaction. He deserved to be fired. When you do a bad job year after year that's what you deserve.

Yes overreaction. Mitch's NBA knowledge is about 100 times that of our current FO. A consultant role would have been smart, Jeanie has never proven to be smart.

I agree a consultant role would have been smart. He still deserved to be fired.

And oh boy that last statement. I don't know Jeannie personally but graduating USC with honors is not the easiest thing in the world. She had to be a little smart for that.

Don't know how it is today, but back then, you didn't need to be Einstein to get accepted by USC.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
rwongega wrote:
He eventually will when time passes. Unfortunately, he allied himself with the wrong Buss and had to go down with his inbred captain.

He didn't ally himself with any Buss. He only did his job. Overreaction by Jeanie, but I hope she can learn from it.

No overreaction. He deserved to be fired. When you do a bad job year after year that's what you deserve.

Spoken like a true spoiled Laker fan.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
rwongega wrote:

He's right though don't let your emotions get I. The way
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject:

There should be a statue of him in front of Staples.

The setting:
Mitch is at a table. On the other side are statues of Deng and Moz with contracts in front of them. Moz is sitting there with a giant grin and Deng actually signs, "Take that Danny Ferry!" instead of his name. We only realize that during the statue resurrection and his contract immediately becomes null & void.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

The setting:
Mitch is at a table. On the other side are statues of Deng and Moz with contracts in front of them. Moz is sitting there with a giant grin and Deng actually signs, "Take that Danny Ferry!" instead of his name. We only realize that during the statue resurrection and his contract immediately becomes null & void.

Rather see Mitch and the 4 LOBs he helped us get
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
rwongega wrote:

He's right though don't let your emotions get I. The way

What emotions? A lot of Laker fans are spoiled, plain and simple.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

The setting:

Rather see Mitch and the 4 LOBs he helped us get

Nine.
And one in Washington.
Dude has two fists full of rings.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Yes overreaction. Mitch's NBA knowledge is about 100 times that of our current FO. A consultant role would have been smart, Jeanie has never proven to be smart.

I agree a consultant role would have been smart. He still deserved to be fired.

And oh boy that last statement. I don't know Jeannie personally but graduating USC with honors is not the easiest thing in the world. She had to be a little smart for that.

Don't know how it is today, but back then, you didn't need to be Einstein to get accepted by USC.

I didn't compare Jeannie to Einstein. If you want to insult Jeannie's intelligence like ventura without actually knowing her then go ahead. Just know that you'll be coming from an uninformed position.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Should Honor Mitch Kupchack Next Season

yinoma2001 wrote:
Right now I'm sure it's too soon and some wounds need to heal. Mitch has gone through some tough times at home with his daughter passing away recently. Say what you want about him in today's social media driven NBA and other modern peculiarities, but the Lakers really should honor him next season.

I'm not even getting into the debates about how much credit he deserves for the rings, but he was the head architect.

You don't fire a guy and then honor him a few months later.

Something like this seems a few years off.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject:

I would love to see Mitch back with the Organization.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Should Honor Mitch Kupchack Next Season

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Right now I'm sure it's too soon and some wounds need to heal. Mitch has gone through some tough times at home with his daughter passing away recently. Say what you want about him in today's social media driven NBA and other modern peculiarities, but the Lakers really should honor him next season.

I'm not even getting into the debates about how much credit he deserves for the rings, but he was the head architect.

You don't fire a guy and then honor him a few months later.

Something like this seems a few years off.

Beat me to it. Overall, I truly appreciate the job done by Mitch. We'd be planning a celebration if he had retired, but he was fired instead.

Agree with the sentiment but the awkwardness of being fired and then honored seems a bit irreconcilable, at least for the foreseeable future.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Some of you saying there's no way to honor him are really unimaginative. It would really easy for the Lakers to honor Mitch, and as eureca mentioned, John Black.

Simply have a half time ceremony or the opening to a game have someone introduce Mitch & talk about his accomplishments. Present him with a gift of and let him say a few words. Proclaim it 'Mitch Kupchak night' and give away some trinket to the fans.

Give him a special on Spectrum Sports Net where he counts down his top 5 memories in the league and be done with it.

He deserves this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject:

There should be a statue of Mitch pointing to all the retired jerseys and have a button that you can press where Mitch says "one day your jersey can be up there".
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Yes, but next year is not the right time.

Wait 2 or 3 years, hopefully the team improves because right now it is pretty ugly what he left for the Magic Man and Pelinka to clean up.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Yes of course Mitch should be honored and I don't see why not next season, current Lakers success is irrelevant to how much he has contributed to this franchise as both a player and GM..... As far as I'm concerned the sooner the better, none of us know how many years we have and Mitch is no exception. He deserves the recognition for all that he has contributed and there is no reason to wait to let him know how much he as been appreciated by the franchise and fans.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

Even more pronounced today. Legacy, family hookup, daddy buying a wing will still slip you in.

(I kid I kid. #aintNoLoveLost)
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Even more pronounced today. Legacy, family hookup, daddy buying a wing will still slip you in.

(I kid I kid. #aintNoLoveLost)

It is really hard to get in now compared to the 60s or whenever. All major schools are harder to get in now.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers Should Honor Mitch Kupchack Next Season

yinoma2001 wrote:

The main thing that I think is unfair to Mitch is that most people (including Jeanie and Co.) lump him along with Jim Buss as if they were some sort of brain trust together. I can't imagine that Mitch was entirely thrilled when Jim became one of his bosses. But, he was willing to stick with the franchise and try to help turn things around. I guess he could have retired back then or tried to go work for another team. I'm not sure if people fault him for not separating himself from the Jim situation or what. But, it seemed to me that he was trying to remain loyal to the Buss family and got caught in the middle of their drama. It is what it is.

I agree it would be nice to see him honored in some way. But, It seems pretty safe to assume that it's not happening.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject:

Just give Mitch a statue. He deserves it more than Shaq does. More loyalty than that buffoon anyways.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
Yes of course Mitch should be honored and I don't see why not next season, current Lakers success is irrelevant to how much he has contributed to this franchise as both a player and GM..... As far as I'm concerned the sooner the better, none of us know how many years we have and Mitch is no exception. He deserves the recognition for all that he has contributed and there is no reason to wait to let him know how much he as been appreciated by the franchise and fans.

Would you have Magic lead the ceremony?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

Yes. They should present him with a bronze magic wand.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Yes. They should present him with a bronze magic wand.

I think the question was posed kind of tongue in cheek. The awkward irony of the one who got the job, presenting an award to the one who was fired from the job, just feels off key.

Maybe a year from now that will change, but if we're still struggling with the aftermath of their mismanagement, which is likely, I still won't be ready to honor anyone.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject:

so now you guys want to reward failure.....he is the reason we are where we are.....H..no
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather honor a guy who was with the organization for more than three decades as a player and eventually as a GM, and was involved in the organization through 9 title runs. And ignore anyone who tries to argue he didn't play a 'significant' role, because I can be pretty sure anyone who says that is pulling 'facts' out his trump with no actual inside knowledge.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: