2017 Lakers Draft Discussion Thread ** DRAFT DAY** (2: Ball, 27: Kuzma, 30: Hart and 42: Bryant )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 422, 423, 424 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who you got after Fultz?
Lonzo Ball
75%
 75%  [ 315 ]
Josh Jackson
15%
 15%  [ 64 ]
Jayson Tatum
1%
 1%  [ 8 ]
De'Aaron Fox
4%
 4%  [ 20 ]
Malik Monk
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
Jonathan Isaac
0%
 0%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 416

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Practice wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
As the Laker Film Room guys correctly noted, we have too many 4/5s. With the picks I would expect them to stock up on guards as Dlo/Jc are The only two under contract.

We need bigs that can actually shoot and defend.

Here are the bigs under contract.

Moz
Zub
Nance
Randle
Deng
Black

Trob

We have 2 true centers and a bunch of PF sized players. Meanwhile we have only Dlo and Jc under contract as guards.

Top3 pick likely will be a guard and maybe we luck into someone like Kennard with 28.

Honestly, I'm not all that excited with our front court players. There are a couple that I think can grow and become solid players, but I wouldn't mind a change in the front court. Jules, Nance, and possibly Zubac(would hesitate to trade Zu unless someone values him as much as I do) could all be used as trade pieces. An athletic guy who is 6'10" or bigger, can shoot, and has near elite level wingspan would be ideal, but those don't grow on trees. Hell, I'll settle for a Randle that can shoot 33+% from 3.

We need to make a trade or two, even if it's just a minor move where you move one bench big for another team's bench guard. The imbalance on the roster is crazy.

I vote we move Mozgov and Deng
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
You can make a case for your argument only considering the last month of the season alone.

You can sort of make that case if you look at March, not the last month. He wasn't very good in April.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
nash wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
nash wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
nash wrote:
tox wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
As the Laker Film Room guys correctly noted, we have too many 4/5s. With the picks I would expect them to stock up on guards as Dlo/Jc are The only two under contract.

Gotta go for BPA.

But it's shocking that the Lakers only have two guards (JC & DLO) on roster, and I get the feeling they're both on the trade block.

I think Magic would like to upgrade...I don't think it's possible

At a guess, he'd want to improve other spots by trading them, and then shore up the position in free agency. Maybe a Jrue Holiday type or something.

Dlo is our young prospect with the highest floor. I have a tough time projecting him as a franchise player, but he is the closest we have of a sure thing. If we are going to move him it is better we get an all star in return.

If we can move our young players to bring Butler and PG13 I'm all in. Those guys alone aren't going to make us title contenders, but they can lead us to have the best perimeter defense in the league and maybe make someone like Curry look at us if he is not happy playing alongside another superstar.

that be Ingram with the highest floor and best chance to be a franchise player...

I just get the feeling magic is looking for a big star in that spot...(think about Ireland and his inside info we will make a run at Curry)

Dlo is the best player now so his floor is higher, ceiling is another matter.

I disagree...

You can make a case for your argument only considering the last month of the season alone.

loved Eddie Jones but when Kobe came on board I knew he was the better player...

but he wasnt a better player his rookie season.....Eddie was simply still a better NBA player that year
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Practice wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We need bigs that can actually shoot and defend.

Here are the bigs under contract.

Moz
Zub
Nance
Randle
Deng
Black

Trob

We have 2 true centers and a bunch of PF sized players. Meanwhile we have only Dlo and Jc under contract as guards.

Top3 pick likely will be a guard and maybe we luck into someone like Kennard with 28.

Honestly, I'm not all that excited with our front court players. There are a couple that I think can grow and become solid players, but I wouldn't mind a change in the front court. Jules, Nance, and possibly Zubac(would hesitate to trade Zu unless someone values him as much as I do) could all be used as trade pieces. An athletic guy who is 6'10" or bigger, can shoot, and has near elite level wingspan would be ideal, but those don't grow on trees. Hell, I'll settle for a Randle that can shoot 33+% from 3.

We need to make a trade or two, even if it's just a minor move where you move one bench big for another team's bench guard. The imbalance on the roster is crazy.

I vote we move Mozgov and Deng

I second the motion!!
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
nash wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
nash wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
nash wrote:
tox wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Gotta go for BPA.

But it's shocking that the Lakers only have two guards (JC & DLO) on roster, and I get the feeling they're both on the trade block.

At a guess, he'd want to improve other spots by trading them, and then shore up the position in free agency. Maybe a Jrue Holiday type or something.

Dlo is our young prospect with the highest floor. I have a tough time projecting him as a franchise player, but he is the closest we have of a sure thing. If we are going to move him it is better we get an all star in return.

If we can move our young players to bring Butler and PG13 I'm all in. Those guys alone aren't going to make us title contenders, but they can lead us to have the best perimeter defense in the league and maybe make someone like Curry look at us if he is not happy playing alongside another superstar.

that be Ingram with the highest floor and best chance to be a franchise player...

I just get the feeling magic is looking for a big star in that spot...(think about Ireland and his inside info we will make a run at Curry)

I disagree...

loved Eddie Jones but when Kobe came on board I knew he was the better player...

Me too, but Eddie was the best player at least for a couple of seasons, probably until he was traded.

I'm a strong believer that we have a couple of players with higher ceiling than Russell, but I consider the floor of a player how good he is in the present and Russell a better player than Ingram, I can't find any evidence he is not.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
nash wrote:

You can sort of make that case if you look at March, not the last month. He wasn't very good in April.

low key neither was Russell
BI:
19p, 5.1 reb, 4.0 ast per 36 (2.3 TO, 46.6% TS%)
DLO:
16p, 4.1 reb, 5.4 ast per 36 (2.1 TO, 48.9% TS%)

Though Russell only played 4 games and BI had a min restriction.

I'd argue Russell was better in March than Ingram.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
nash wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
nash wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
nash wrote:
tox wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Gotta go for BPA.

I disagree...

Me too, but Eddie was the best player at least for a couple of seasons, probably until he was traded.

I'm a strong believer that we have a couple of players with higher ceiling than Russell, but I consider the floor of a player how good he is in the present and Russell a better player than Ingram, I can't find any evidence he is not.

still waiting for Russell to assert himself...no killer instinct...he doesn't even attack the rim with aggression
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject:

So really what you're saying is that it comes down to aggressive dunks... here we go again

If you want to make the case that BI will be better 2 years from now, that's completely rational and could well be the case. But to say BI is already better than DLO is ridiculous.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
still waiting for Russell to assert himself...no killer instinct...he doesn't even attack the rim with aggression

We should trade him for Mudiay who does

Last edited by Daphanabe on Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
So really what you're saying is that it comes down to aggressive dunks... here we go again

If you want to make the case that BI will be better 2 years from now, that's completely rational and could well be the case. But to say BI is already better than DLO is ridiculous.

talk about putting words in someone's mouth...
DLO has no aggression in his game...period
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Wait, March wasn't obvious?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

We do badly need to add guards, but even with all of our big men, it doesn't seem like we're set at those positions by any means. There are too many guys with similar skillsets, and they all lack two of the most important skills that a big man could have in the modern NBA game, which are shooting and shot-blocking ability. If we have an opportunity to get another guy into the mix who can provide even one of these things, regardless of the logjam we have, it would make sense to do it.
Billium
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
Oladipo.

Some defensive motor
Great wingspan
Good lateral quickness

I agree that his wingspan is the only elite measurement he has. My thinking was that Fox has a better motor and quickness with below average wingspan. If fox shows that he has great instincts (iq) as well his floor should be an Oladipo like defensive player. Which would be a great fit for Dlo if the team really wants him to play off the ball. Besides, from what I have been reading, Fox is supposed to have elite speed with the ball in his hands and having a pg who can push the ball with that speed would help an offense this young
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

talk about putting words in someone's mouth...
DLO has no aggression in his game...period

Just because he doesn't look aggressive doesn't mean he isn't being aggressive. He's not fast and he doesn't jump high, and yes, he doesn't attack the rim often enough. But, that doesn't mean he's not often aggressive looking for his shot. The dude scores 20+ points w/ regularity and had a 40 point game earlier this year. You don't do that w/o being aggressive looking for your shot.

The thing that gets me though, is this whole conversation came from you saying that Ingram is better than DLO right now. But then your argument against DLO is that he isn't aggressive enough. I REALLY don't understand how you can watch DLO, then watch Ingram, and come away thinking that Ingram is the more aggressive one. That's insane to me. Which leads me to believe you're equating nice dunks attacking the rim with overall aggression, as that's the only rational explanation for that. Hence the first sentence of my last post.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
nash wrote:

My point is that you have to make a huge effort and search for very specific stats to prove Ingram is a better player than Dlo now. I like his physical tools a lot better and since he seems to be a hard worker I believe he can be the best player down the line, but not now.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:

It is not just about dunks, but one of the things we have to consider projecting the ceiling of a player is how much his game will allow him to go to the line. Russell has a really high usage and draw few fouls. A player able and willing to attack the basket taking contact is going to have an advantage, but I'm perfectly aligned with you about the present, Dlo is a better player.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Wait, March wasn't obvious?

My favorite version of Dlo is the one after the all star game from his rookie season. I really liked the way he was playing.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject:

I want LaVar Ball but I'm not too sure about Lonzo.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Billium wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
Oladipo.

Some defensive motor
Great wingspan
Good lateral quickness

I agree that his wingspan is the only elite measurement he has. My thinking was that Fox has a better motor and quickness with below average wingspan. If fox shows that he has great instincts (iq) as well his floor should be an Oladipo like defensive player. Which would be a great fit for Dlo if the team really wants him to play off the ball. Besides, from what I have been reading, Fox is supposed to have elite speed with the ball in his hands and having a pg who can push the ball with that speed would help an offense this young

My problem is, he's super light. Even Dennis Schroeder could really play legit Pg defense and had multiple/similar tools to Rajon Rondo.

Dude gets ran over.

Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject:

If we draft Ball how about trading Mozgov and #28 for Crabbe, Leonard, and #19?

For Ball to be successful we will need to surround him with shooters.

Crabbe is one of the better wing shooters in the league and essentially replaces Young who seems unlikely to be back next season.

Leonard gives us a bigman that can stretch the floor which is something we currently lack.

Moving up in the draft from #28 to #19 allows us to select a better prospect who won't be there at the end of the 1st round.

After doing this trade we won't have much cap space but that might not be so bad. It's highly unlikely we'll get any stars this summer and the players we have a chance at (Holiday, Hill, Ibaka, etc.) have an injury history.

Crabbe and Leonard are both just 25 years old and would fit in very well with the rest of our young core.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Portland wouldn't accept.

Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Why not?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
lewis wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Yea that's what I just explained, the UK combine measurement is the outlier after 7 measurements where his wingspan was 6'6, from a lot of reputable USA Basketball/Nike Skills academy spots

Ok..so what's his weaknesses in that case? To me he looks like a great fit on offense next to Russel and Ingram.

A guy who can't shoot is really not a good fit on a shooting deficient team. Defensively he has potential but I don't think teams will be drafting him for his defense.

They're talking about Monk, not Fox. Unless you think Monk can't shoot?

Oops I thought it was about Fox.

As for Monk, I think the concerns are measurables (even if he is on the high end of those ranges) and playmaking to merit such a high pick.

Ya. I can see him looking kinda diminutive on the NBA court at the SG spot (although he weighs more than I thought - 197)

I also am not in the group that thinks he's pretty much a lock to be a starter. Questionable defense and size are the reason - although what he'll be able to contribute with floor spacing and being utilized like a JJ Reddick are very valuable. And of course his skillset should develop to being a lot more versatile than that in the half court - already more versatile with his transition game
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Why not?

2017 - 18
Mozgov...$15,280,000
Leonard...$9,904,495

2018 - 19
Mozgov....$16,000,000
Leonard....$10,595,506

2019 - 20
Mozgov....$16,720,000
Leonard....$11,286,515

Opinions will vary some on the value of Crabbe with that contract.

* Slightly negative value

* Neutral value

* Slightly positive value

If the middle path is chosen and a neutral value is assigned to Crabbe, Portland would be taking on more salary in the Mozgov - Leonard part of the transaction and also downgrading a first round pick from #19 to #28.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Why not?

2017 - 18
Mozgov...$15,280,000
Leonard...$9,904,495

2018 - 19
Mozgov....$16,000,000
Leonard....$10,595,506

2019 - 20
Mozgov....$16,720,000
Leonard....$11,286,515

Opinions will vary some on the value of Crabbe with that contract.

* Slightly negative value

* Neutral value

* Slightly positive value

If the middle path is chosen and a neutral value is assigned to Crabbe, Portland would be taking on more salary in the Mozgov - Leonard part of the transaction and also downgrading a first round pick from #19 to #28.

I was simply going to answer the poster's "why not?" with, because the trade is a heist for the Lakers, and of course it would be when it's a Laker fan that proposed it.

In Crabbe we'd have a 43% 3point shooter, we'd move up 9 spots in the draft, and the Mosgov-Leonard part of the deal is a wash. In other words we'd do it in a heartbeat because it screws Portland in every aspect, and benefits us in every way
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 422, 423, 424 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next
Page 423 of 1281
Jump to: