CBS dumps Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe, adds Tony Gonzalez and Bart Scott

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: CBS dumps Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe, adds Tony Gonzalez and Bart Scott

Whoa I've heard rumors but I didn't think they were actually going to do it.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014/02/cbs-dumps-dan-marino-and-shannon-sharpe-adds-tony-gonzalez/

Quote:
CBS Dumps Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe, Adds Tony Gonzalez

CBS Sports has finally overhauled its NFL pregame show.

CBS announced Tuesday that Tony Gonzalez has joined “The NFL Today” as an analyst, working alongside James Brown, Bill Cowher, and Boomer Esiason. The Big Lead first reported CBS’ flirtation with Gonzalez.

CBS also announced the departures of Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe, wishing them “the best” as “they pursue other professional opportunities” (CBS, 2/18). Marino and Sharpe both had long tenures at CBS, the former joining the network in 2002 and the latter in 2004.

Gonzalez is the first addition to the CBS pregame show since Cowher joined the cast in 2007. Meanwhile, Marino and Sharpe are the first departures since Greg Gumbel was replaced by Brown in 2006.

Last edited by Basketball Fan on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: CBS dumps Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe, adds Tony Gonzalez

Basketball Fan wrote:

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014/02/cbs-dumps-dan-marino-and-shannon-sharpe-adds-tony-gonzalez/

Quote:

CBS announced Tuesday that Tony Gonzalez has joined “The NFL Today” as an analyst, working alongside James Brown, Bill Cowher, and Boomer Esiason. The Big Lead first reported CBS’ flirtation with Gonzalez.

CBS also announced the departures of Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe, wishing them “the best” as “they pursue other professional opportunities” (CBS, 2/18). Marino and Sharpe both had long tenures at CBS, the former joining the network in 2002 and the latter in 2004.

Gonzalez is the first addition to the CBS pregame show since Cowher joined the cast in 2007. Meanwhile, Marino and Sharpe are the first departures since Greg Gumbel was replaced by Brown in 2006.

Seems like a dull show just got duller. Fox somehow has the right mix of guys. Sharpe was interesting, albeit incomprehensible at times. And I hope Marino finds his way back to the Dolphins either in the FO or coaching staff.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Fox does have interesting guys, but not intelligent ones. Howie Long thinks he's super smart, but isn't. Bradshaw is just an idiot.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject:

I liked marino, I didn't like sharpe so much, but Marino I thought was good.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Sharpe's inability to speak clearly was almost comical at times. It's amazing he stayed employed as a talking head.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Cowher is next.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Sharpe's inability to speak clearly was almost comical at times. It's amazing he stayed employed as a talking head.

I understood him all the time. I liked the way he dressed also. Hope he and Marino find work somewhere on the air.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject:

This could be interesting

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24455524/bart-scott-joins-cbs-sports-the-nfl-today-in-2014

Quote:
Bart Scott joins CBS Sports' 'The NFL Today' in 2014

Former Ravens and Jets linebacker Bart Scott will join The NFL Today in 2014, CBS Sports announced Monday. Scott spent Sundays last season on CBS Sports Network's The Other Pregame Show (TOPS).

"Bart joining The NFL Today is a natural progression from his outstanding work during his first season on TOPS," said CBS Sports Chairman Sean McManus. "Bart brings a dynamic personality and unique perspective as a recently retired player providing strong opinions on all the hot-button issues on a weekly basis. We are confident he will continue to bring that perspective and those opinions to The NFL Today."

Scott and former Falcons tight end and future first ballot Hall of Famer Tony Gonzalez will be the two new faces on set. They will join James Brown, Boomer Esiason, Bill Cowher and insider Jason La Canfora, while Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe are departing the Sunday pregame show.

"Having just stepped off the playing field, Tony brings a fresh and insightful perspective," McManus said of Gonzalez last week. "As a future Hall of Famer, we are excited for him to share his knowledge, experiences and opinions with our viewers. Tony was one of the most respected and hardworking players in the NFL and a tremendous teammate. We look forward to him bringing these attributes to CBS Sports."

Scott's NFL career spanned 11 seasons, including a four-year stint with the Jets that coincided with Rex Ryan's arrival and ended in 2012.
Brandon98
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject:

Laces out, Dan.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
Cowher is next.

He ain't even worried. He got TWC
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
Fox does have interesting guys, but not intelligent ones. Howie Long thinks he's super smart, but isn't. Bradshaw is just an idiot.

Fox's NFL show is like NBA on TNT.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
This could be interesting

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24455524/bart-scott-joins-cbs-sports-the-nfl-today-in-2014

Quote:
Bart Scott joins CBS Sports' 'The NFL Today' in 2014

Former Ravens and Jets linebacker Bart Scott will join The NFL Today in 2014, CBS Sports announced Monday. Scott spent Sundays last season on CBS Sports Network's The Other Pregame Show (TOPS).

"Bart joining The NFL Today is a natural progression from his outstanding work during his first season on TOPS," said CBS Sports Chairman Sean McManus. "Bart brings a dynamic personality and unique perspective as a recently retired player providing strong opinions on all the hot-button issues on a weekly basis. We are confident he will continue to bring that perspective and those opinions to The NFL Today."

Scott and former Falcons tight end and future first ballot Hall of Famer Tony Gonzalez will be the two new faces on set. They will join James Brown, Boomer Esiason, Bill Cowher and insider Jason La Canfora, while Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe are departing the Sunday pregame show.

"Having just stepped off the playing field, Tony brings a fresh and insightful perspective," McManus said of Gonzalez last week. "As a future Hall of Famer, we are excited for him to share his knowledge, experiences and opinions with our viewers. Tony was one of the most respected and hardworking players in the NFL and a tremendous teammate. We look forward to him bringing these attributes to CBS Sports."

Scott's NFL career spanned 11 seasons, including a four-year stint with the Jets that coincided with Rex Ryan's arrival and ended in 2012.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

Fox's NFL show is like NBA on TNT.

Yeah. We can complain about this host or that one but at the end of the day it's all about chemistry on set.

NBA on TNT has it. NFL on Fox has it.

CBS? Not so much. ESPN/ABC's NBA show? Not so much.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-three-years/
Quote:

Tony Gonzalez leaving CBS after three years

If CBS wants to add Peyton Manning to the pregame studio show, it currently has a spot for him.

Via Richard Deitsch of SI.com, tight end Tony Gonzalez has left CBS after three years as a member of The NFL Today.

“I have had an incredible and rewarding three years at CBS and wish it could be more, but traveling to New York each week during the season is not what is best for my family at this time,” Gonzalez said in a statement provided by CBS to Deitsch. “While I hope to remain in broadcasting I will look to do so in the L.A. area. I can’t thank CBS enough for their support.”

If Gonzalez wants to remain in broadcasting in L.A., NFL Network makes plenty of sense — especially in light of the league-owned outlet’s affinity for gold jackets. Gonzalez will have one in two years.

And with Hall of Fame receiver Michael Irvin currently facing accusations that could (should) spark an internal investigation under the Personal Conduct Policy, a seat on the set of NFLN’s Sunday pregame show could be coming open, in time.

FOX also could make sense, if/when Michael Strahan ever decides to stop flying from New York to L.A. and back again for 17 weekends now that he’s a full-fledged member of Good Morning America.

At CBS, the question becomes who will replace Gonzalez. Maybe the real question should be whether to replace Gonzalez at all. With only an hour to review the Sunday slate of games and with ratings for the Sunday morning/afternoon pregame shows at all of the networks consistently shrinking, the right approach could be to stick with Boomer Esiason, Bill Cowher, and Bart Scott as the analysts with James Brown as the host.

Gonzalez may not be the only departure from CBS. Rumors swirled a year ago that the network’s intense pursuit of Manning caused resulted in potential changes to be tabled for a year.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Still remember when Jared was on the CBS NFL show promoting his footlongs....
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject:

"Feels great! Can't Wait!"
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: CBS dumps Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe, adds Tony Gonzalez

rwongega wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

Seems like a dull show just got duller. Fox somehow has the right mix of guys. Sharpe was interesting, albeit incomprehensible at times. And I hope Marino finds his way back to the Dolphins either in the FO or coaching staff.

Yep Dan needs to focus full time on helping out the fins. we need him for Tanny's development as the window is closing on him to turn the corner and become an elite QB.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Brandon98 wrote:
Laces out, Dan.

How many times you think Dan has heard that one since 94?
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject:

Seems like Shannon bounced back well with Bayless.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Seems like Shannon bounced back well with Bayless.

It's prob just me but their TV personality wise, Shannon and Bayless is similar (black and white version of each other) while Smith and Kellerman are also similar

I like Smith/Bayless combo the best, polar opposite
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Brandon98 wrote:
Laces out, Dan.

How many times you think Dan has heard that one since 94?

Probably every time he screws something up. Forgets to bring home milk.

Wife: "Laces out Dan".

Gets his son killed in Halo.

"Laces out Dad".
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/19/phil-simms-will-move-to-the-nfl-today/

Quote:
Phil Simms will move to The NFL Today

Phil Simms won’t be working with Jim Nantz anymore, but he will be on CBS every Sunday during the football season.

Simms will be seen as part of the crew on the network’s The NFL Today studio show that airs before the first round of games kicks off each week. Simms will be taking over the seat once occupied by former Chiefs and Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez alongside James Brown, Bill Cowher, Boomer Esiason, and Bart Scott.

Simms spoke to Richard Deitsch of SI.com about the move and said he is excited about the chance to weigh in on topics that he may also address as he continues to be part of Showtime’s Inside the NFL.

“Listen, I didn’t make any comments for a lot of reasons and you want to sit there and think about it,” Simms said. “Initially was my pride hurt? Absolutely. Of course it was. . . . So it took a little bit. Not long. I started thinking about it in a positive way and then I became excited about it. [CBS Sports Chairman] Sean [McManus] had talked to me over the years about maybe going into the studio. I now get to follow the league like I want to. That was probably the most frustrating thing about my job. You do one or two games a week, you can’t really pay attention to the other teams like I wanted to do. When you do games, you are all-in on those games. On Inside The NFL, I get to say things about stuff that I never get to say in a broadcast.”

McManus said that he thinks Simms will “elevate” the network’s studio show and that it’s a move he and Simms have discussed at other points in recent years. Simms is reportedly under contract with CBS for two more years and told Deitsch that he plans to be doing studio work “for a long time.”
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-sports/releases/view?id=47690

Quote:
NATE BURLESON JOINS CBS SPORTS AS ANALYST ON "THE NFL TODAY"

Former NFL wide receiver Nate Burleson joins CBS Sports as an analyst for the CBS Television Network’s NFL pre-game show, THE NFL TODAY, and will contribute to CBS Sports Network’s Sunday pre-game show, THAT OTHER PREGAME SHOW (TOPS). The announcement was made today by Sean McManus, Chairman, CBS Sports.

Burleson will join host James Brown, Bill Cowher, Boomer Esiason and recently announced analyst Phil Simms on THE NFL TODAY.

“Nate is a rising star in this business with a dynamic personality and is the perfect complement to our veteran cast,” said McManus. “He is knowledgeable, passionate, opinionated and, having recently played, we look forward to his perspective during the discussions and spirited debates with JB, Coach, Boomer and Phil. The addition of Phil and Nate to the show gives us one of the strongest casts for THE NFL TODAY in years.”

“THE NFL TODAY is one of the few trademark shows in all of professional sports, and I am truly honored to be joining the team,” said Burleson. “I’m very excited for the opportunity to work alongside JB, Coach, Boomer and Phil, who are among the best in our business.”

Burleson currently serves as a co-host of "Good Morning Football" on NFL Network, and will remain in that role in addition to his work on THE NFL TODAY.

Burleson played 11 years in the NFL as a wide receiver for the Minnesota Vikings, Seattle Seahawks and Detroit Lions. He was drafted in the third round by Minnesota in 2003. During his tenure with the Vikings he reached over 1,000 receiving yards and is the only player in NFL history to have three punt returns of 90-or-more-yards. In 2006, Burleson signed with the Seattle Seahawks and then signed with Detroit in 2010 where he finished his career in 2013. While a member of the Lions, he received the “Good Guy Award” for his positive interactions with the Detroit media.

He was a member of the Nevada Wolf Pack at University of Nevada, Reno. In 2002, Burleson recorded 138 receptions, the second highest total in NCAA history. He currently holds the WAC and Nevada all-time records for single game receptions with 19.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: