D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
This is what losing does to fans, looking back with fondness to other failed seasons in the past.
LOL at people saying MDA is a top coach because he's winning some games in the regular season, but when someone else says he's never been to the Finals then it's the players fault.
He lucked into the Rockets with an established superstar and a very good GM.

How did D'antoni "luck" into his job. It wasn't like his buddy Colangelo was the GM and gave him a back door deal. A "very good GM", with a playoff team thought he was the right guy and Morey was right. D'antoni and Harden are up for COY and MVP.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

City_Dawg wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

We were (and in many ways ARE) the organizational equivalent of the old man in his rocking chair yelling about the good old days.

Yeah, we really played ourselves in retrospect. Yours truly especially.

Remember in Jeanie's book that Phil said he was a better coach to hire for Dwight and MDA was the better coach for Nash. So the solution would have been MORE post ups for Dwight?

That team didn't have a chance regardless of if it was MDA or Phil.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject:

There aren't many coaches in the NBA that I hate, but Antoni is definitely one of them. Stupid hire in the first place!@
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
This is what losing does to fans, looking back with fondness to other failed seasons in the past.
LOL at people saying MDA is a top coach because he's winning some games in the regular season, but when someone else says he's never been to the Finals then it's the players fault.
He lucked into the Rockets with an established superstar and a very good GM.

That established superstar and very good GM were there last year and they were an 8th seed.

And there's nothing inconsistent about the idea that he wins them some regular season games, but the fact that he's never been to the Finals is the player's fault. He takes his teams about as far as they're capable of going, which is the coach's job.

When they lose in the playoffs this year it'll be because someone like Patrick Beverly or Eric Gordon is their 2nd best player, not because MDA failed.

If I recall D'antoni was the owners choice not Morey's
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Everyone was stubborn. The situation just did not work. No point in rehashing yet again. I'm glad he's moved on to a great (possibly COY) situation for him, and we have a promising young coach and promising young talent and we can all just move forward.

This.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Never had a problem with MDA. Thought he had a raw deal. I especially hate media labels because it's for lazy people or casual fans who don't really dissect the game and the politics involved. Coaches have always gotten too much credit and too much blame. .

Many thoughtless fans bought into the media hype and label about how MDA doesn't coach defense and had their pitchforks out. Then you got Byron Scott who went in front of the camera and told you exactly what you wanted to hear, "it's all about defense." And proceeded to give you much less than MDA. Dantoni can coach, he just lacks a little people skill. What he's done in this game, he's a hall of famer when it's said and done, that's something casual fans who have their opinions shaped for them by ESPN won't understand. Pulling for him to shock the NBA.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

fiendishoc wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

We were (and in many ways ARE) the organizational equivalent of the old man in his rocking chair yelling about the good old days.

Yeah, we really played ourselves in retrospect. Yours truly especially.

Remember in Jeanie's book that Phil said he was a better coach to hire for Dwight and MDA was the better coach for Nash. So the solution would have been MORE post ups for Dwight?

That team didn't have a chance regardless of if it was MDA or Phil.

BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Never had a problem with MDA. Thought he had a raw deal. I especially hate media labels because it's for lazy people or casual fans who don't really dissect the game and the politics involved. Coaches have always gotten too much credit and too much blame. .

Many thoughtless fans bought into the media hype and label about how MDA doesn't coach defense and had their pitchforks out. Then you got Byron Scott who went in front of the camera and told you exactly what you wanted to hear, "it's all about defense." And proceeded to give you much less than MDA. Dantoni can coach, he just lacks a little people skill. What he's done in this game, he's a hall of famer when it's said and done, that's something casual fans who have their opinions shaped for them by ESPN won't understand. Pulling for him to shock the NBA.

Damn nicely said.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

MJST wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
Then Los Angeles, we just didn't have a chance. There were just injuries, and people were pretty stubborn in their roles, and it's like "sorry guys, this is not me. It's not going to work right here." So, things happen, and you coach, you learn, you go on and you hope for a better situation.

LOL! He's speaking about himself right here!

no, he's speaking about Dwight "I don't wanna pick and roll, I wanna prove I'm a post up big like Hakeem" Howard. and Pau "phoning it in and getting conveniently hurt before trade deadline" Gasol.

Remember back then how D'Antoni's fans were saying Gasol was finished and nobody wanted him and that he didn't rebound or defend and yet here he is on a contender after two more All-Star appearances on another team with double-digit rebounding and 2 blocks a game right up until this year playing for Popovich who limits vets' minutes? Remember?
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

MickMgl wrote:
MJST wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
Then Los Angeles, we just didn't have a chance. There were just injuries, and people were pretty stubborn in their roles, and it's like "sorry guys, this is not me. It's not going to work right here." So, things happen, and you coach, you learn, you go on and you hope for a better situation.

no, he's speaking about Dwight "I don't wanna pick and roll, I wanna prove I'm a post up big like Hakeem" Howard. and Pau "phoning it in and getting conveniently hurt before trade deadline" Gasol.

Remember back then how D'Antoni's fans were saying Gasol was finished and nobody wanted him and that he didn't rebound or defend and yet here he is on a contender after two All-Star appearances on another team with double-digit rebounding and 2 blocks a game right up until this year playing for Popovich who limits vets' minutes? Remember?

Dude is coming off the bench because he is slow. He is pretty much finished all he does now is stand in the corner and shoot 3's
Slappy
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject:

This pretty much says it all:

http://grantland.com/features/lakers/
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

BobbyB wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
MJST wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:

Remember back then how D'Antoni's fans were saying Gasol was finished and nobody wanted him and that he didn't rebound or defend and yet here he is on a contender after two All-Star appearances on another team with double-digit rebounding and 2 blocks a game right up until this year playing for Popovich who limits vets' minutes? Remember?

Dude is coming off the bench because he is slow. He is pretty much finished all he does now is stand in the corner and shoot 3's

That's NOW, but he wasn't finished back when people were first saying he was finished. It was just D'Antoni sucking eggs as coach.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

MickMgl wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
MJST wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:

That's NOW, but he wasn't finished back when people were first saying he was finished. It was just D'Antoni sucking eggs as coach.

Nah, Pau was just unmotivated. He's always required external motivation.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Litmus test is always how one performs in the playoffs....until he gets to the Finals and wins one he will always be in the 2nd tier of good coaches that can get players to perform to their best but might not be able to put it all together for a title run.
As far as his Laker tenure goes, he was a bad fit with the crop of players they had. If they had players that fit his system, they would've probably gone deeper into the postseason.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Litmus test is always how one performs in the playoffs....until he gets to the Finals and wins one he will always be in the 2nd tier of good coaches that can get players to perform to their best but might not be able to put it all together for a title run.

So that would be every coach in the league except for what, 2 or 3? Fact is that unless a coach has arguably the best player on Earth, with supporting help, he's not winning a title. Or a really stacked team. It's been that way for the last 35 years or so, with very few exceptions. Pistons in 04, and Brown is arguably the GOAT coach. Dallas in 11, and Carlisle is very good. Spurs in 14 but they probably had the most talent all the way down the roster, and Pop is arguably the GOAT coach. That's it really.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject:

In other words, MDA could not manage the team/egos. That is exactly why people wanted Phil Jackson.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject:

It didn't work because MDA couldn't get the most out of his players and refused to adapt to their strengths. Nash's injury filled season was a convenient excuse. He still had a load of talent with Kobe, Dwight, Pau, and a Bench of Jamison, Metta, Meeks, Blake; the team totally under-performed and imploded. That's largely on the coach. (That team was tailor made for Phil Jackson by the way).

Now he's got a team more to his style and they're in the playoffs. Good for him and the rockets. 2012 was still a terrible paring of coach and team.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

Big Game James wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:

NO he's talking about dwight first, then kobe, then gasol.

at least kobe and gasol can throw out their "how do you know how to win MDA? we have"

but dwight trying to become a low post player instead of a pick and roll guy was the stupidest thing ever.
OshadowO
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
we actually had a chance if not for the achilles. We were on a roll at the end of the season

We were all Kobe at the end of that season. That's basically where his career ended, willing his team to the playoffs.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:

At first I thought he was taking a shot at Kobe then I thought Pau

he was talking about Howard, and Pau... the injury part though, he was talking about Kobe.. Kobe looked the best version of himself under MDA... sucks it was a little too late, Kobe got grounded in the triangle.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

MickMgl wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
MJST wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:

He wasn't finished, he quit.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
It didn't work because MDA couldn't get the most out of his players and refused to adapt to their strengths. Nash's injury filled season was a convenient excuse. He still had a load of talent with Kobe, Dwight, Pau, and a Bench of Jamison, Metta, Meeks, Blake; the team totally under-performed and imploded. That's largely on the coach. (That team was tailor made for Phil Jackson by the way).

Now he's got a team more to his style and they're in the playoffs. Good for him and the rockets. 2012 was still a terrible paring of coach and team.

Go look up ho many games Nash, Dwight, Kobe and Pau played together and then get back to us about it.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

I never hated Dantoni and thought he was actually a decent coach here, especially considering the incorrect pieces he had during his time here.

Before Kobe's Achilles blew out, the Lakers were one of the best teams in the 2nd half of the season and looked like a dangerous 7th seed that most top teams didn't want to touch.

Next season, we ended up with 27 wins with freaking Nick Young and Earl Clark as our two best players. With Pau also crying about shooting 3s (the incredible irony now). The biggest irony is Dantoni would have KILLED to coach THIS Lakers team. I recall him saying something similar before his eventual hire with the Rockets.

Can you imagine what he could have done with this team? ESPECIALLY with DLO? Randle too, unlike Luke who is actually encouraging Randle to do the opposite of what Randle SHOULD be doing to fit more with the team. Using guys like Nance and Zubac a lot more in pick and roll situations, Clarkson in a Eric Gordon/Barbosa role, etc.

Say what you want about defense, but the fact is, Byron and Luke (at the moment) has coached a much worse defense than Pringles has ever done here. I also find the "he never coached a team to the finals" arguement to discredit him incredibly dumb. Especially considering the fact that his 2007 Suns team would have most certainly made it if it weren't for Amare and Diaw literally being suspended against the Spurs.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: D'Antoni- the Los Angeles thing we didn't have a chance

venturalakersfan wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
MJST wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:

He wasn't finished, he quit.

And then he UN-quit?
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject:

What I'll always dislike him for is the potential role he played in Kobe tearing his Achilles. I know Kobe is stubborn, but he needed to exert his influence more (I don't think he's anywhere near the Phil/Pop level of getting people to do what they want).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: