OFFICIAL 2017 FREE AGENCY (Lakers sign Bogut)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 520, 521, 522 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
If you can get a potential 25-30PPG scorer for Deng and JC + Randle and picks you take it and run...

Randle and picks for Anthony?

Id rather invest in randle at this point. Keep our core team together.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Melo will be 33 in six weeks.

In summer 2018, he will be 34 and the market for a declining Melo might not be very strong.

If LeBron can play at a high level in his 30's then so can Melo, let's not forget how good Melo was when he lead the Knicks to 54 wins a few years ago.

Do you actually watch Carmelo Anthony play or are you just saying that because you hear the name "Carmelo Anthony".

There's no point in discussing IF Carmelo can play at a high level in his 30s because Carmelo has stopped playing at a high level already and he's 33. He played 34 MPG for 74 games and his team won 31 games in the east.

22 points on 19 shots this year as a 33 year old who doesn't play a lick of defense, won't fit in with a system that wants players to be unselfish and is only going to get worse.

I think Melo getting out of that toxic Knicks envorinment will be good for him and his focus, why the *** do Laker fans think we can debate about star players coming here? This is about improving the rosters talent pool which we desperately need to do.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
If you can get a potential 30PPG scorer for Deng and JC + Randle and picks you take it and run...

Potential 30 point scorer? This dude's career high was 28.9 PPG when he was 22 years old.

24 points on 20 shots in 36 MPG at age 30 (17 Wins)
22 points on 18 shots in 35 MPG at age 31 (32 Wins)
22 points on 19 shots in 34 MPG at age 32 (31 Wins)

If he puts up 25 next season on the Lakers, that means we have a 33 year old taking 21 shots per game with nothing to build on. (bleep) that
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
If you can get a potential 25-30PPG scorer for Deng and JC + Randle and picks you take it and run...

The FO wants to make moves to win now, I highly doubt we are gonna invest in the young players unless they do some amazing training this summer.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
If you can get a potential 30PPG scorer for Deng and JC + Randle and picks you take it and run...

Potential 30 point scorer? This dude's career high was 28.9 PPG when he was 22 years old.

If he puts up 25 next season on the Lakers, that means we have a 33 year old taking 21 shots per game with nothing to build on. (bleep) that

What makes you think he's gonna take 21 shots? and also I bet Lukes system will benefit Melo more then the Triangle offense the Knicks are running.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/ray8128/status/855237706951077888

Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

The FO wants to make moves to win now, I highly doubt we are gonna invest in the young players unless they do some amazing training this summer.

I'll repeat this one last time. Carmelo Anthony as the best player has won 31,32 and 17 games over the last 3 years in the Eastern Conference. Even in his prime he was known for being a guy that can score but do nothing else, now his scoring is getting worse and his already sh*t defense/passing etc. are going down the drain.

Carmelo Anthony is only a superstar in terms of being a household name, having a big brand and a big fan base. This guy isn't "superstar talent" nor should he come close to being the target if you want to "win now".

Winning now means putting together a team that can win now and then build on that. Winning now doesn't mean we're going to trade 90% of our young guys for 30 year olds exiting their primes.

The guys that are "winning now" aren't going to be on the trade block, and the guys on the trade block aren't winning right now. Does that mean we are not going to make trades? No we will and we might get an allstar calibre player if we're lucky. If we're really lucky we can get Paul George/Jimmy Butler (leading their teams to the 7th and 8th seed in the east right now) level talent. That will put us in the playoff race hopefully, and then we hope to build on that.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

What makes you think he's gonna take 21 shots? and also I bet Lukes system will benefit Melo more then the Triangle offense the Knicks are running.

His entire career which is full of shot jacking and not doing anything else makes me think he's going to take around 20 shots.

Also, with what logic is Luke's system going to benefit Carmelo? Luke's system is total opposite of Carmelo Anthony's game. The biggest reason Phil wants him out is because he's holding on to the ball too long, not promoting ball moving and shot jacking. Luke's system is multiple guys handling the ball, passing the ball around, taking the right shots.

Are you looking at some other Carmelo Anthony or something? Cause we can't be talking about the same guy.

Last edited by Villain6Activated on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

lol. not trading more then clarkson or houston 1st rd pick for him

let alone JC + Randle + picks
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I'll repeat this one last time. Carmelo Anthony as the best player has won 31,32 and 17 games over the last 3 years in the Eastern Conference. Even in his prime he was known for being a guy that can score but do nothing else, now his scoring is getting worse and his already sh*t defense/passing etc. are going down the drain.

Carmelo Anthony is only a superstar in terms of being a household name, having a big brand and a big fan base. This guy isn't "superstar talent" nor should he come close to being the target if you want to "win now".

Winning now means putting together a team that can win now and then build on that. Winning now doesn't mean we're going to trade 90% of our young guys for 30 year olds exiting their primes.

The guys that are "winning now" aren't going to be on the trade block, and the guys on the trade block aren't winning right now. Does that mean we are not going to make trades? No we will and we might get an allstar calibre player if we're lucky. If we're really lucky we can get Paul George/Jimmy Butler (leading their teams to the 7th and 8th seed in the east right now) level talent. That will put us in the playoff race hopefully, and then we hope to build on that.

Again, I'm not gonna argue about it, but if you get Melo, you Improve the talent pool, you also can talk about winning in the 40's which will be a big step next year.

And the arguement that his team was 17/32/31 in the last 3 years doesn't mean much.

Irving was leading the Cavs to the lottery until LeBron came, if Melo comes here, there will be more moves to help Melo and the team.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Again, I'm not gonna argue about it, but if you get Melo, you Improve the talent pool, you also can talk about winning in the 40's which will be a big step next year.

And the arguement that his team was 17/32/31 in the last 3 years doesn't mean much.

Irving was leading the Cavs to the lottery until LeBron came, if Melo comes here, there will be more moves to help Melo and the team.

your assumption about melo being a talent is not correct
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject:

I think instead of focusing on a "star" player. The FO should look to adding a player who fits in with what we have.

For example: Blake Griffin is better than Ryan Anderson but the Rockets would be worse with Griffin.

We need players who fit a certain role Alongside Ingram, Randle , Russell..

IMO are biggest need this summer is someone at the 2 spot.

I think we can offer a contract in the 50-60 million range to get Tim Hardaway from Atlanta. They might match. But IMO he would be a perfect fit on this team and his presence would make everyone else better.

I compare him to Nick Young with more athleticism and less off the court stuff I guess.

This allows us to stay young and build a true team. Where all the parts together make everyone better.

We also don't have to trade anyone.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

In summer 2018, he will be 34 and the market for a declining Melo might not be very strong.

If LeBron can play at a high level in his 30's then so can Melo, let's not forget how good Melo was when he lead the Knicks to 54 wins a few years ago.

Like it or not, Melo is a star talent, he used to be in the same league as LeBron and even out played a lot of superstars even in recent seasons. what I have noticed is that Laker fans are never satisfied with getting anyone.

never on that level...never
stop with this melo stuff already!
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
I think instead of focusing on a "star" player. The FO should look to adding a player who fits in with what we have.

For example: Blake Griffin is better than Ryan Anderson but the Rockets would be worse with Griffin.

I think we can offer a contract in the 50-60 million range to get Tim Hardaway from Atlanta. They might match. But IMO he would be a perfect fit on this team and his presence would make everyone else better.

I compare him to Nick Young with more athleticism and less off the court stuff I guess.

This allows us to stay young and build a true team. Where all the parts together make everyone better.

how did Deng/Mozgov work out for us?

role players shine with stars and show true colors with other young/role players
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

But he's a upgrade to the team. even if you don't think he's a talent.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

role players shine with stars and show true colors with other young/role players

For sure this is all with the assumption that are Ingram/Randle/Russell will continue to improve.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

Like it or not, Melo is a star talent, he used to be in the same league as LeBron and even out played a lot of superstars even in recent seasons. what I have noticed is that Laker fans are never satisfied with getting anyone.

I remember those exciting Melo and LeBron duels, and Melo for sure played
LeBron very well. He might not be as successful, but at least he was apart of team USA winning multiple gold medals.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

For sure this is all with the assumption that are Ingram/Randle/Russell will continue to improve.

yeah it might happen or it won't but we will be stuck with those average player salaries for 4more years. we got 2 already for 3 more years.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

how can he be upgrade? if u r giving up Randle + JC + Picks?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I will note that if you could get the Knicks to take just JC and Deng and a 2nd rounder or two for Melo, that keeps Randle with us (and Moz too), and likely takes the Lopez deal off the table. (I'm not giving up Randle for just 1 year of Lopez, even if it meant getting rid of Moz too.) You could then offer Randle as part of a different trade, I suppose, perhaps even along with the top 3 pick to get PG.

There really are a ton of possibilities. I just hope we end up with something where I don't cringe.

I don't see Melo wanting to come and play with Lopez. I doubt that is enough to get him to agree to a trade.

If he knew we had a plan to sign a top FA guard with available cap space and trade the top 3 pick (if we kept it, obviously) for another All-Star or borderline All-Star, perhaps he would think differently.

I think he would turn down almost every trade just to piss Phil off.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

He hasn't been leading a team to 40+ wins in the Eastern Conference for the past several years, yet you are expecting him to now do it in the Western Conference?
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Here's my opinion on the various players being discussed.

Carmelo Anthony
Carmelo gets a bad rap. He was providential under Mike Woodson a few years ago. It wasn't until Jackson came into the picture preaching about triangles that Carmelo's stock has nose-dived. On court I think he could be a great fit as a stretch 4 and back-up 3 for Ingram. He'd be a huge asset to our win column next year if we acquired him.

That being said. I'm not in favor of us acquiring him. The primary reason being is his completely unmovable contract. He has a no-trade clause that would still be in effect should he get traded here. Furthermore his contract is big enough that stretching him wouldn't be a good option either so there's really no flexibility should players like George, Cousins, or Westbrook become available in free agency. Even for a straight up Deng for Carmelo swap we would be losing 10 million in cap space over the next two years which will the only years we have cap space with our young players sending us above the salary cap with their extensions there after. Carmelo for Deng+Mozgov would be acceptable, but does anyone actually think Jackson would do this? I mean, really?

Brook Lopez
I'm not crazy about Lopez' fit with our team. Randle might be able to cover-up for his strange aversion to rebounding, but there is no way to hide his lack of post defense which is a huge area of need. His offensive talent and ability to stretch the floor is nice, but I see Zubac as our long term offensive answer at center. His contract is expiring though so it wouldn't be a huge burden acquiring him for at least one year. The problem is the cost of acquiring him. Any trade for him must on principle start with Mozgov. If all else it takes is the 28th or Jordan Clarkson then sign me up, but I don't think Brooklyn will be moved by such a package personally.

Blake Griffin
My biggest pet peeve on this board is when we start seriously discussing players that OBVIOUSLY have no chance of coming here. Blake Griffin is a great example of this. I mean, seriously folks. Okay, IF the Clippers lose in the first round AND Steve Ballmer goes against Doc River's wishes to bring the whole team back AND Griffin ends up as the odd man out AND Griffin doesn't want to leave the L.A. market SIGNIFICANTLY more than he wants to win then maybe there's a chance! No. Stop it. When you have to attach so many questionable "what ifs" to a scenario to make it even remotely plausible then you're wasting your brain power. Regardless if the Clippers lose again in the 2nd round I don't see Ballmer blowing the team up. Everyone will be back. Even if he does, Griffin will sign with a more competitive team than us. There will be no shortage of suitors and he can live in L.A. in the off-season if he loves it so much like many of the NBA's stars do.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

I remember those exciting Melo and LeBron duels, and Melo for sure played
LeBron very well. He might not be as successful, but at least he was apart of team USA winning multiple gold medals.

r u melos agent?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

how can he be upgrade? if u r giving up Randle + JC + Picks?

So are you suggesting that JC / Randle are better players and that the picks have more value and I mean picks we won't need since we will be looking to make moves to win now?

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I will note that if you could get the Knicks to take just JC and Deng and a 2nd rounder or two for Melo, that keeps Randle with us (and Moz too), and likely takes the Lopez deal off the table. (I'm not giving up Randle for just 1 year of Lopez, even if it meant getting rid of Moz too.) You could then offer Randle as part of a different trade, I suppose, perhaps even along with the top 3 pick to get PG.

There really are a ton of possibilities. I just hope we end up with something where I don't cringe.

I don't see Melo wanting to come and play with Lopez. I doubt that is enough to get him to agree to a trade.

If he knew we had a plan to sign a top FA guard with available cap space and trade the top 3 pick (if we kept it, obviously) for another All-Star or borderline All-Star, perhaps he would think differently.

I think he would turn down almost every trade just to piss Phil off.

He could, but at what point does enough become enough? Supposedly the biggest reason NY was so appealing to him was his wife, and now they are splitting up. I still think the Clippers are a possibility as well. I really think that, if Melo would agree to a deal, that he has Phil over a barrel. They aren't going to get that much for him, and you might see something like Austin Rivers and Jamal Crawford as being enough. I would think that if we offered Randle, they would think that Randle would be a much better get than Rivers and Crawford, even if it meant having to take back Deng. Or we could just offer something like JC plus filler, and that might be enough if he preferred the Lakers.

For me, I would only want Melo if we could dump both Deng and Mozgov in two separate trades.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 520, 521, 522 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next
Page 521 of 1813
Jump to: