2017 Lakers Draft Discussion Thread ** DRAFT DAY** (2: Ball, 27: Kuzma, 30: Hart and 42: Bryant )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 424, 425, 426 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who you got after Fultz?
Lonzo Ball
75%
 75%  [ 315 ]
Josh Jackson
15%
 15%  [ 64 ]
Jayson Tatum
1%
 1%  [ 8 ]
De'Aaron Fox
4%
 4%  [ 20 ]
Malik Monk
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
Jonathan Isaac
0%
 0%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 416

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Good Game Theory podcast with Sam Vecenie and Cole Zwicker...go over some 2018 guys then spend some time on Tatum, Jackson, Ball and Monk.

https://soundcloud.com/sam-vecenie/hoop-summit-and-nba-draft

Thanks, just finished it, good stuff

They have Ball ranked 3rd and 4th... Concerns about scoring and predictability with the ball - can't shoot going right, maybe no midrange game, questionable finisher. They both really like his fit with us next to DLo

Both have Monk at 7/8 below Isaac. I can see that. They gave some good stats on how Monk's shooting should translate , very good contested and coming off screens. They don't see Monk as much of a ball handler , Vecenie likens him to Reddick handling
matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject:

Monk reminds me of Lou Williams. He can be a deadly sixth man off the bench.

"I GOT WHEATIES!"
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Good Game Theory podcast with Sam Vecenie and Cole Zwicker...go over some 2018 guys then spend some time on Tatum, Jackson, Ball and Monk.

https://soundcloud.com/sam-vecenie/hoop-summit-and-nba-draft

Thanks, just finished it, good stuff

They have Ball ranked 3rd and 4th... Concerns about scoring and predictability with the ball - can't shoot going right, maybe no midrange game, questionable finisher. They both really like his fit with us next to DLo

Both have Monk at 7/8 below Isaac. I can see that. They gave some good stats on how Monk's shooting should translate , very good contested and coming off screens. They don't see Monk as much of a ball handler , Vecenie likens him to Reddick handling

I like both those guys...but they will pick a player a part...then say he is the 2nd or 3rd best prospect in draft.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject:

Showtime__79 wrote:
Anyone else feel like Tatum is the next Rudy gay? I rather take a flyer on monk, markkaren or isacc with the 3rd pick if fultz and JJ is gone

I see Rudy Gay in his game....but a team could do a lot worse than Rudy Gay.....Gay at his best is a near all star level player
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
To Monk or not to Monk.

I can definetely see Jackson's ceiling as Andre Iggy, if his jumper is decent. His ceiling would make us a legit formidable squad, what he brings to the table

Monk, hard for me not to see him as a shorter Lavine. Although, maybe he can be prime Monta with a 3pt shot - that's a legit 2nd option on a contender, imo. A lot of games that would be a legit 1st option.

I'm missing it completely on Monk. In the very, VERY little I've seen of him, he looks like a shooter. Is this just another case of Kentucky having too much talent and his full skill set had to be toned down, a la Booker? Or is his stack being elevated as a result of Booker's success?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject:

I appreciate all the research and work you guys are putting for this discussion of top 3. Certainly informative. In all honesty I am not seeing a "bad" selection for the Lakers if they get to pick in the top 3.

Lakers need talent and any of the incredibly diverse skillsets in the top 3 will be welcome additions. I'm excited with the possibilities of any of them.

Tend to be fairly optimistic they can land solid contributors at #28 and if it goes that way, at #33 too. See quite a few quality players with potential (scary word I know ) that are predicted on any of the mock drafts from #20-#40. Depending on which one you trust or follow there are quality players scattered throughout any of them in that range.

Excited about the possibilities, just impatient to get it moving.
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject:

Showtime__79 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
So is Josh Jackson like Justise Winslow but with better offense?

Better at def
Better at offense

And most importantly better at making teammates better. He had me with his passing. Read about this guy great def and after watching him play, I was most impressed with his passing!

If he had a shot, he would be a superstar. I'm a homer for two way players. If we had the #1 draft pick, I'd choose fultz, and hate life for the next 10 years.

Agree, also his shot was improving all season and is something that can be further developed. He has every tool. I'd be thrilled if we came out of the draft with Jackson, absolutely ecstatic.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject:

Confession - I hit SIM Lottery on tankathon multiple times a day.

25 more days folks!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject:

Kava wrote:

25 more days folks!

http://www.espn.com/nba/lottery2017/mockdraft#
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

Jonathan Jeanne suddenly has eye popping stats for a Euro big. 14 pts, 10 reb and 4 blocks per game in only 27 minutes!

Seems like it's starting to click for him. He was always freakishly long and mobile but there wasn't much production. Now he's putting up stats to back up the eye test. He's still pretty far away in terms of high level experience and his body still needs to fill out, but I'd be happy to get him on a 1st round contract and see what he can turn into after a few seasons of NBA coaching and strength training.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jonathan-Jeanne-73326/
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Kava wrote:

25 more days folks!

More Crack! I find it difficult to participate in any lottery discussion with out knowing for sure if we retain the pick.
Flatlyner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Kava wrote:

25 more days folks!

In this sim, if we get to #1, they have us taking Lonzo. Why would we pass Fultz? That just seems ridiculous.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Re: Tatum

Quote:
The problem, of course, is that playing through the mid-range isn’t the most efficient way to score and Tatum’s numbers make it easy to understand why. He made just 37.7 percent of his mid-range jumpers as a freshman, according to Synergy Sports. Issues arise when Tatum over-dribbles, which gives defenders more time to set up and makes the shots more difficult:

Quote:
The 19-year old scored just 0.753 points per possession (PPP) (47th percentile) on jump shots off the dribble in the halfcourt, per Synergy Sports, making just 32.5 percent of those attempts.

Me:

(from: http://fansided.com/2017/04/17/jayson-tatum-outdated-archetype-great-wing-scorer/)

Yup. That was the first two months. Not the last two. Archetype changed.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject:

Showtime__79 wrote:
Anyone else feel like Tatum is the next Rudy gay? I rather take a flyer on monk, markkaren or isacc with the 3rd pick if fultz and JJ is gone

Nope. Rudy couldn't create shots in Iso like that at that age, nor did he have as great of a reputation for being a hard worker.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Quote:
Lonzo also has the 2nd highest PPP in half-court catch and shoot situations (min 100 attempts) for lead guards in the last decade (Dame #1)

Quote:
Fun stat: Lonzo has the highest TO rate as the PNR BH (finishing possessions) min. 40 poss. in the last decade of lead guard prospects

from twitter

*mindplode*

Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
If we draft Ball how about trading Mozgov and #28 for Crabbe, Leonard, and #19?

So we trade a worse contract AND move up in the draft? Portland wouldn't accept that.
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
I think Mudiay is still salvageable. At the very least, he's an interesting backup PG who could pair with Russell down the line if they can fix the holes in his game. Reality is there's a glut of bigs available in this league, while pretty much everyone wants more ball-handling guards. So you gotta bargain hunt if you want one.

I disagree. He's a worse version of Rajon Rondo, only he doesn't play defense like Rondo did.
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
To Monk or not to Monk.

IF I thought Monk was going to be at least an average defender, or even a plus defender it might be a discussion worth having. But I don't see it. Outside of his shooting, I don't see him becoming anything more than a really good role player. I'd rather grab someone who has more impact on the game.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject:

Karmaloop wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
I think Mudiay is still salvageable. At the very least, he's an interesting backup PG who could pair with Russell down the line if they can fix the holes in his game. Reality is there's a glut of bigs available in this league, while pretty much everyone wants more ball-handling guards. So you gotta bargain hunt if you want one.

I disagree. He's a worse version of Rajon Rondo, only he doesn't play defense like Rondo did.

I like Mudiay, and while statistically he doesn't look good. I agree with pjiddy if you have a chance to get him on a good deal hes worth a look.
zoom K083
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Quote:
Lonzo also has the 2nd highest PPP in half-court catch and shoot situations (min 100 attempts) for lead guards in the last decade (Dame #1)

Quote:
Fun stat: Lonzo has the highest TO rate as the PNR BH (finishing possessions) min. 40 poss. in the last decade of lead guard prospects

from twitter

Nick young/klay thompson role that can make a great read. It's not a bad thing, I actually think he'd fit in perfectly on the team. Last year our offense was predictable when nick got the ball so lonzos passing adds an extra dimension to our offense.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

zoom K083 wrote:
tox wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

from twitter

Nick young/klay thompson role that can make a great read. It's not a bad thing, I actually think he'd fit in perfectly on the team. Last year our offense was predictable when nick got the ball so lonzos passing adds an extra dimension to our offense.

Yeah, the fit is there. The numbers also agree he can be a plus defender on the 2.

Of course, you don't draft based on fit. I do think it's interesting that he has all the indicators of being a 2 guard though, even though people see him as a 1. Although with his FT% I'm still a little skeptical about his jumper.

Last edited by tox on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
tox wrote:
Re: Tatum

Quote:
The problem, of course, is that playing through the mid-range isn’t the most efficient way to score and Tatum’s numbers make it easy to understand why. He made just 37.7 percent of his mid-range jumpers as a freshman, according to Synergy Sports. Issues arise when Tatum over-dribbles, which gives defenders more time to set up and makes the shots more difficult:

Quote:
The 19-year old scored just 0.753 points per possession (PPP) (47th percentile) on jump shots off the dribble in the halfcourt, per Synergy Sports, making just 32.5 percent of those attempts.

Me:

(from: http://fansided.com/2017/04/17/jayson-tatum-outdated-archetype-great-wing-scorer/)

Yup. That was the first two months. Not the last two. Archetype changed.

Fair enough. The article does go over some of the things he improved on. There were some pretty good signs about his passing game, for example.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject:

Tatum was an absolute beast to finish the year. Scoring at all levels (still some problems finishing), rebounding, passing.
romeo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject:

was there a discussion on dennis smith already? too high if we keep the pick? is the only thing holding him back is his consistency and effort?
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

Karmaloop wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
If we draft Ball how about trading Mozgov and #28 for Crabbe, Leonard, and #19?

So we trade a worse contract AND move up in the draft? Portland wouldn't accept that.

Don't forget we also happen to get the #2 ranked 3PT shooter from this season. No brainer for Portland, right?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 424, 425, 426 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next
Page 425 of 1281
Jump to: