2017 Lakers Draft Discussion Thread ** DRAFT DAY** (2: Ball, 27: Kuzma, 30: Hart and 42: Bryant )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 424, 425, 426 ... 1278, 1279, 1280  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who you got after Fultz?
Lonzo Ball
75%
 75%  [ 315 ]
Josh Jackson
15%
 15%  [ 64 ]
Jayson Tatum
1%
 1%  [ 8 ]
De'Aaron Fox
4%
 4%  [ 20 ]
Malik Monk
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
Jonathan Isaac
0%
 0%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 416

Author Message
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 25961

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Good Game Theory podcast with Sam Vecenie and Cole Zwicker...go over some 2018 guys then spend some time on Tatum, Jackson, Ball and Monk.

https://soundcloud.com/sam-vecenie/hoop-summit-and-nba-draft


Thanks, just finished it, good stuff

They have Ball ranked 3rd and 4th... Concerns about scoring and predictability with the ball - can't shoot going right, maybe no midrange game, questionable finisher. They both really like his fit with us next to DLo

Both have Monk at 7/8 below Isaac. I can see that. They gave some good stats on how Monk's shooting should translate , very good contested and coming off screens. They don't see Monk as much of a ball handler , Vecenie likens him to Reddick handling
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 6108

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject:

Monk reminds me of Lou Williams. He can be a deadly sixth man off the bench.
_________________
We only celebrate championships.

"I GOT WHEATIES!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 13576
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Good Game Theory podcast with Sam Vecenie and Cole Zwicker...go over some 2018 guys then spend some time on Tatum, Jackson, Ball and Monk.

https://soundcloud.com/sam-vecenie/hoop-summit-and-nba-draft


Thanks, just finished it, good stuff

They have Ball ranked 3rd and 4th... Concerns about scoring and predictability with the ball - can't shoot going right, maybe no midrange game, questionable finisher. They both really like his fit with us next to DLo

Both have Monk at 7/8 below Isaac. I can see that. They gave some good stats on how Monk's shooting should translate , very good contested and coming off screens. They don't see Monk as much of a ball handler , Vecenie likens him to Reddick handling


I like both those guys...but they will pick a player a part...then say he is the 2nd or 3rd best prospect in draft.
_________________
"Being a Laker matters. Jason Kidd is known as a Hall of Famer, but if he played for the Lakers he would be remembered as a LEGEND" Colin Cowherd
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 13576
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject:

Showtime__79 wrote:
Anyone else feel like Tatum is the next Rudy gay? I rather take a flyer on monk, markkaren or isacc with the 3rd pick if fultz and JJ is gone


I see Rudy Gay in his game....but a team could do a lot worse than Rudy Gay.....Gay at his best is a near all star level player
_________________
"Being a Laker matters. Jason Kidd is known as a Hall of Famer, but if he played for the Lakers he would be remembered as a LEGEND" Colin Cowherd
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 10540
Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
To Monk or not to Monk.

I can definetely see Jackson's ceiling as Andre Iggy, if his jumper is decent. His ceiling would make us a legit formidable squad, what he brings to the table

Monk, hard for me not to see him as a shorter Lavine. Although, maybe he can be prime Monta with a 3pt shot - that's a legit 2nd option on a contender, imo. A lot of games that would be a legit 1st option.


I'm missing it completely on Monk. In the very, VERY little I've seen of him, he looks like a shooter. Is this just another case of Kentucky having too much talent and his full skill set had to be toned down, a la Booker? Or is his stack being elevated as a result of Booker's success?
_________________
Magic and Jeannie: you are now on the clock.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2014
Posts: 3163

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject:

I appreciate all the research and work you guys are putting for this discussion of top 3. Certainly informative. In all honesty I am not seeing a "bad" selection for the Lakers if they get to pick in the top 3.

Lakers need talent and any of the incredibly diverse skillsets in the top 3 will be welcome additions. I'm excited with the possibilities of any of them.

Tend to be fairly optimistic they can land solid contributors at #28 and if it goes that way, at #33 too. See quite a few quality players with potential (scary word I know ) that are predicted on any of the mock drafts from #20-#40. Depending on which one you trust or follow there are quality players scattered throughout any of them in that range.

Excited about the possibilities, just impatient to get it moving.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DangeRuss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 10 Feb 2016
Posts: 876

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject:

Showtime__79 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
So is Josh Jackson like Justise Winslow but with better offense?


Better at def
Better at offense

And most importantly better at making teammates better. He had me with his passing. Read about this guy great def and after watching him play, I was most impressed with his passing!

If he had a shot, he would be a superstar. I'm a homer for two way players. If we had the #1 draft pick, I'd choose fultz, and hate life for the next 10 years.


Agree, also his shot was improving all season and is something that can be further developed. He has every tool. I'd be thrilled if we came out of the draft with Jackson, absolutely ecstatic.
_________________
Top 3: 1.Jackson 2.Ball 3.Isaac
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Kava
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Mar 2010
Posts: 1506

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject:

Confession - I hit SIM Lottery on tankathon multiple times a day.

25 more days folks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 11835

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject:

Kava wrote:
Confession - I hit SIM Lottery on tankathon multiple times a day.

25 more days folks!


http://www.espn.com/nba/lottery2017/mockdraft#
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Jun 2005
Posts: 2692
Location: Town

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

Jonathan Jeanne suddenly has eye popping stats for a Euro big. 14 pts, 10 reb and 4 blocks per game in only 27 minutes!

Seems like it's starting to click for him. He was always freakishly long and mobile but there wasn't much production. Now he's putting up stats to back up the eye test. He's still pretty far away in terms of high level experience and his body still needs to fill out, but I'd be happy to get him on a 1st round contract and see what he can turn into after a few seasons of NBA coaching and strength training.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jonathan-Jeanne-73326/
_________________
ďThis goes far beyond paychecksĒ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Kava
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Mar 2010
Posts: 1506

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Kava wrote:
Confession - I hit SIM Lottery on tankathon multiple times a day.

25 more days folks!


http://www.espn.com/nba/lottery2017/mockdraft#


More Crack! I find it difficult to participate in any lottery discussion with out knowing for sure if we retain the pick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Flatlyner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 482

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Kava wrote:
Confession - I hit SIM Lottery on tankathon multiple times a day.

25 more days folks!


http://www.espn.com/nba/lottery2017/mockdraft#


In this sim, if we get to #1, they have us taking Lonzo. Why would we pass Fultz? That just seems ridiculous.
_________________
16 Banners and counting..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 56023
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Re: Tatum

Quote:
The problem, of course, is that playing through the mid-range isnít the most efficient way to score and Tatumís numbers make it easy to understand why. He made just 37.7 percent of his mid-range jumpers as a freshman, according to Synergy Sports. Issues arise when Tatum over-dribbles, which gives defenders more time to set up and makes the shots more difficult:


Quote:
The 19-year old scored just 0.753 points per possession (PPP) (47th percentile) on jump shots off the dribble in the halfcourt, per Synergy Sports, making just 32.5 percent of those attempts.


Me:

(from: http://fansided.com/2017/04/17/jayson-tatum-outdated-archetype-great-wing-scorer/)


Yup. That was the first two months. Not the last two. Archetype changed.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.
Top 3 Pick: Fultz, Ball, Tatum
LAL ended w 3 of 4 guys of my '17 Draft list.

My summer league spirit player is Brady Heslip.

https://hoop-math.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 56023
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject:

Showtime__79 wrote:
Anyone else feel like Tatum is the next Rudy gay? I rather take a flyer on monk, markkaren or isacc with the 3rd pick if fultz and JJ is gone


Nope. Rudy couldn't create shots in Iso like that at that age, nor did he have as great of a reputation for being a hard worker.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.
Top 3 Pick: Fultz, Ball, Tatum
LAL ended w 3 of 4 guys of my '17 Draft list.

My summer league spirit player is Brady Heslip.

https://hoop-math.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 56023
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Quote:
Lonzo also has the 2nd highest PPP in half-court catch and shoot situations (min 100 attempts) for lead guards in the last decade (Dame #1)


Quote:
Fun stat: Lonzo has the highest TO rate as the PNR BH (finishing possessions) min. 40 poss. in the last decade of lead guard prospects


from twitter


*mindplode*
_________________
Resident Car Nut.
Top 3 Pick: Fultz, Ball, Tatum
LAL ended w 3 of 4 guys of my '17 Draft list.

My summer league spirit player is Brady Heslip.

https://hoop-math.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1983

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
If we draft Ball how about trading Mozgov and #28 for Crabbe, Leonard, and #19?


So we trade a worse contract AND move up in the draft? Portland wouldn't accept that.
_________________
kikanga wrote:
I'm interested in Olivia Munn. But similar to this LAL/DROZ situation. I don't think the feelings are mutual.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1983

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
I think Mudiay is still salvageable. At the very least, he's an interesting backup PG who could pair with Russell down the line if they can fix the holes in his game. Reality is there's a glut of bigs available in this league, while pretty much everyone wants more ball-handling guards. So you gotta bargain hunt if you want one.


I disagree. He's a worse version of Rajon Rondo, only he doesn't play defense like Rondo did.
_________________
kikanga wrote:
I'm interested in Olivia Munn. But similar to this LAL/DROZ situation. I don't think the feelings are mutual.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1983

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
To Monk or not to Monk.


IF I thought Monk was going to be at least an average defender, or even a plus defender it might be a discussion worth having. But I don't see it. Outside of his shooting, I don't see him becoming anything more than a really good role player. I'd rather grab someone who has more impact on the game.
_________________
kikanga wrote:
I'm interested in Olivia Munn. But similar to this LAL/DROZ situation. I don't think the feelings are mutual.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Feb 2013
Posts: 2160

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject:

Karmaloop wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
I think Mudiay is still salvageable. At the very least, he's an interesting backup PG who could pair with Russell down the line if they can fix the holes in his game. Reality is there's a glut of bigs available in this league, while pretty much everyone wants more ball-handling guards. So you gotta bargain hunt if you want one.


I disagree. He's a worse version of Rajon Rondo, only he doesn't play defense like Rondo did.


I like Mudiay, and while statistically he doesn't look good. I agree with pjiddy if you have a chance to get him on a good deal hes worth a look.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
zoom K083
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 539

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Quote:
Lonzo also has the 2nd highest PPP in half-court catch and shoot situations (min 100 attempts) for lead guards in the last decade (Dame #1)


Quote:
Fun stat: Lonzo has the highest TO rate as the PNR BH (finishing possessions) min. 40 poss. in the last decade of lead guard prospects


from twitter


Nick young/klay thompson role that can make a great read. It's not a bad thing, I actually think he'd fit in perfectly on the team. Last year our offense was predictable when nick got the ball so lonzos passing adds an extra dimension to our offense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 10731

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

zoom K083 wrote:
tox wrote:
Quote:
Lonzo also has the 2nd highest PPP in half-court catch and shoot situations (min 100 attempts) for lead guards in the last decade (Dame #1)


Quote:
Fun stat: Lonzo has the highest TO rate as the PNR BH (finishing possessions) min. 40 poss. in the last decade of lead guard prospects


from twitter


Nick young/klay thompson role that can make a great read. It's not a bad thing, I actually think he'd fit in perfectly on the team. Last year our offense was predictable when nick got the ball so lonzos passing adds an extra dimension to our offense.

Yeah, the fit is there. The numbers also agree he can be a plus defender on the 2.

Of course, you don't draft based on fit. I do think it's interesting that he has all the indicators of being a 2 guard though, even though people see him as a 1. Although with his FT% I'm still a little skeptical about his jumper.
_________________
https://j.gifs.com/Rnqnbk.gif


Last edited by tox on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 10731

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
tox wrote:
Re: Tatum

Quote:
The problem, of course, is that playing through the mid-range isnít the most efficient way to score and Tatumís numbers make it easy to understand why. He made just 37.7 percent of his mid-range jumpers as a freshman, according to Synergy Sports. Issues arise when Tatum over-dribbles, which gives defenders more time to set up and makes the shots more difficult:


Quote:
The 19-year old scored just 0.753 points per possession (PPP) (47th percentile) on jump shots off the dribble in the halfcourt, per Synergy Sports, making just 32.5 percent of those attempts.


Me:

(from: http://fansided.com/2017/04/17/jayson-tatum-outdated-archetype-great-wing-scorer/)


Yup. That was the first two months. Not the last two. Archetype changed.


Fair enough. The article does go over some of the things he improved on. There were some pretty good signs about his passing game, for example.
_________________
https://j.gifs.com/Rnqnbk.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Jul 2005
Posts: 15353

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject:

Tatum was an absolute beast to finish the year. Scoring at all levels (still some problems finishing), rebounding, passing.
_________________
"He's a Zen master, so he can speak to you, and he doesn't need a microphone; you can hear him in your head, 'Ron, don't shoot, don't shoot.' Whatever, pow, three. I love the Zen, though."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
romeo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 15 Apr 2017
Posts: 300

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject:

was there a discussion on dennis smith already? too high if we keep the pick? is the only thing holding him back is his consistency and effort?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Aug 2012
Posts: 2810

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

Karmaloop wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
If we draft Ball how about trading Mozgov and #28 for Crabbe, Leonard, and #19?


So we trade a worse contract AND move up in the draft? Portland wouldn't accept that.


Don't forget we also happen to get the #2 ranked 3PT shooter from this season. No brainer for Portland, right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 424, 425, 426 ... 1278, 1279, 1280  Next
Page 425 of 1280
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB