Lakers brass doesn't think they need Jerry West; despite him wanting to return
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
tox wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:
Too many chef's in the kitchen, is magic's thought process I believe.

Magic wants to take the bull by the horns all by himself.

I think when you get a chance to bring in a person of west's caliber you do it. Magic and West can give and take on ideas and strategy.

Of course, in this analogy, Magic's expertise lies in making Easy Mac while Jerry West is a retired head chef of a 5-star Michelin restaurant. But yeah, God forbid there be too many chefs in the kitchen.

They don't go up that high

Because they don't have Jerry West. The fifth star could be his sillhouet.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject:

I just wanna hear one possible beneficial outcome of them not bring Jerry back. Even if it's someone playing Devil's advocate. I just want to keep my sanity/fandom and I need to see some type of silver lining to this decision

Someone hold me fam
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers brass doesn't think they need Jerry West; despite him wanting to return

MJST wrote:
Jerry West wants to return, Lakers brass don’t want it to happen.
Lakers Brass convinced they "don't need Jerry West."

So far the duo of Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka seems to have done a good job. They have traded Lou Williams for a first round pick, traded a dead spot in Marcelo Huertas for a flyer young player in Tyler Ennis (who played well), publicly supporting Luke Walton, and signing David Nwaba.

All these are good moves, so you would think the new front office, with an alarmingly large lack of experience, would be smart enough to bring back the greatest executive in NBA history, Jerry West. Well, you thought wrong.

According to Mark Heisler of OCRegister , Jerry West would “love to be asked back”. But Magic and company won’t do it because “They don’t think they need West”

One of the biggest critiques against Jim Buss was his large ego. Well it seems Magic doesn’t lack an ego either (not that it is a surprise). The reasoning is blasphemous (Stephen A Smith voice). This is the man who traded Vlade Divac for Kobe Bryant, which happened to clear enough cap space to sign Shaq. This is the same man who set the Memphis Grizzlies on the path to become one of the most consistent winners today. This is the same man who has been a huge voice in the front office of the team that has been of the one of the most dominant ever over a 3 year span. Even if you don’t think you need him (With their lack of experience they do), having him only helps. What could they possibly have to lose in West having an advisory role with the team? Nothing. On the other end, how much can they gain? Everything.

Hopefully Magic and Pelinka know what they are doing. Hopefully they build a contender. But not bringing in Jerry West; The Jerry West,
http://lakerspulse.com/jerry-west-wants-return-lakers-brass-dont-want-happen/

http://68.media.tumblr.com/dc22dbcd9a7eb699dbd704e285b77930/tumblr_olnecfjGhR1rfd7lko1_500.gif

Ok I like jerry west but your examples are ridiculous. Memphis is a consistent winner? Of what? Of 55 regular season games? Who cares? Did they win a ring? Did they get past the second round?

And GSW is the most dominant in a 3 year span? R u Effing kidding? They only won one ring so far, calm down. And that ring came with kyrie and Love out. What hey accomplished in the regular season is irrelevant
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Any real quotes?
Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject:

How can the Lakers even contact him about a job while West is in the employ of the Warriors? They (bleep) ing can't that's how.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Vic5150 wrote:
How can the Lakers even contact him about a job while West is in the employ of the Warriors? They (bleep) ing can't that's how.

Yes and that's why Byron Scott is still coach of the Lakers.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Forget that old guy, what the hell does he know?

Because we're doing so great without him!

Unless there is some Jeanie grudge still going on, then what is the deal?

Bring Jerry back.

Not bringing West = Red flag #1.

I guess they subscribe to wanting to do it by themselves, regardless of record.

Bye.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
why should they? if they win championship all credit goes to J West and how he came back and won a ring for them.

meh
lol you guys dont realize how much miagic and pelinka sound like what people ASSUMED Jimbo was thinking. The same issue. every regime would like to say "i did it." if they start winning. no one wants someone else to take credit from them.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
why should they? if they win championship all credit goes to J West and how he came back and won a ring for them.

meh
lol you guys dont realize how much miagic and pelinka sound like what people ASSUMED Jimbo was thinking. The same issue. every regime would like to say "i did it." if they start winning. no one wants someone else to take credit from them.

Sure, every egomaniac wants that, but some have enough brains to realize no one cares about Magic and Pelinka. Everyone cares about the winning. Swallow your ego and do what's best for the team.

It's funny that in interviews, Jeanie repeatedly talks about how hard getting rid of her brother was, but at this point her feelings matter less than the Lakers' success. I guess that only applies when it's convenient to her self-interests.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject:

If they can't find a place for Jerry West but they find a place for Kobe, who no one wanted to come here and play with the last few years... I don't have much faith in the current management team.

This will be indicative of talk show host Magic, not Showtime Magic
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject:

So we're gonna act like we know the FO's exact motives through a Mark Heisler article?
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Unless Jerry West quits, the Lakers can't formally offer Jerry West a job until the season ends anyway. Everything until then is just conjecture. We'll see what happens when June rolls around.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject:

[X] STRIKE ONE
[ ] STRIKE TWO
[ ] STRIKE THREE
Jakanzi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

meh

Sure, every egomaniac wants that, but some have enough brains to realize no one cares about Magic and Pelinka. Everyone cares about the winning. Swallow your ego and do what's best for the team.

It's funny that in interviews, Jeanie repeatedly talks about how hard getting rid of her brother was, but at this point her feelings matter less than the Lakers' success. I guess that only applies when it's convenient to her self-interests.

This is, however, consistent with her stated MO of hiring people who she has 100% trust in and have been loyal to her. If nothing else they're proving it by taking the PR hit for not hiring West.

I'm still cautiously optimistic about the new regime but that Jeanie's relationship with Phil drove West out to begin with, precluded him from returning since there was always the threat of Jeanie bringing Phil back to be in charge of things, and is now still keeping us from bringing Jerry back despite him being open to it is pretty troubling.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject:

Jakanzi wrote:
tox wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

meh

This is, however, consistent with her stated MO of hiring people who she has 100% trust in and have been loyal to her. If nothing else they're proving it by taking the PR hit for not hiring West.

I'm still cautiously optimistic about the new regime but that Jeanie's relationship with Phil drove West out to begin with, precluded him from returning since there was always the threat of Jeanie bringing Phil back to be in charge of things, and is now still keeping us from bringing Jerry back despite him being open to it is pretty troubling.

Honestly, that's just as bad. Her own lawyer was gloating about how thoroughly they trounced Jim and Johnny in court, and that they have no recourse but to accept Jeanie is the woman in sole charge of the Lakers. I'm concerned if she's letting her baseless insecurity get in the way of making what should be a no brainer for our franchise. There's nothing to suggest West has any ulterior motives to undermine Jeanie, and even if he did, he doesn't have any means to accomplish it per her own lawyer.

I'm not going to kill the FO until they do something stupid (which I do think they're going to do), but I don't see how this is even justifiable.
sonn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:

meh

Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject:

Because Dr Buss wanted Magic to run the Lakers... Remember? It was his wish

Hand picked
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject:

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Magic/Pelinka regime, but if there is ANY truth to this it is really disappointing.

Especially considering that I heard Magic himself numerous times suggest that the Lakers needed to bring Jerry West back, and that Jim had to put his ego aside and not be afraid to let others help him build the team.

It's funny because for YEARS and YEARS all I ever heard from Lakers fans is how the Lakers messed up by letting West go. And any time someone would bring up the desire to have him back it would get quickly shot down as being a pipe dream.

And now we have a realistic opportunity to get him back and we don't even entertain it?

I'm gonna' take a wait and see approach, since maybe it's just posturing since he is still under contract.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
Forget that old guy, what the hell does he know?

Because we're doing so great without him!

Unless there is some Jeanie grudge still going on, then what is the deal?

Bring Jerry back.

Not bringing West = Red flag #1.

I guess they subscribe to wanting to do it by themselves, regardless of record.

Bye.

Blame's Jeanie's EX for Jerry leaving in the first place.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
I would think it's a nobrainer to add a guy with his eye and esteem to our FO, but I think Magic wants to be the only voice between Jeanie and Pelinka and doesn't want West debating him on anything. He might be do something smart like tell Magic not to trade Ingram for Kevin Love.

I guess he doesn't fit the collaborative spirit of "Lakers 2.0".
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
I would think it's a nobrainer to add a guy with his eye and esteem to our FO, but I think Magic wants to be the only voice between Jeanie and Pelinka and doesn't want West debating him on anything. He might be do something smart like tell Magic not to trade Ingram for Kevin Love.

I guess he doesn't fit the collaborative spirit of "Lakers 2.0".

It may not be Magic's call to make.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject:

This surprises me a bit considering Magic worked with Andrew Friedman who is all about building the brain trust.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject:

Math wrote:
This surprises me a bit considering Magic worked with Andrew Friedman who is all about building the brain trust.

Tbh this smells like Jeanie being petty over the Phil thing. This is just my opinion though.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject:

Magic Johnson on his biggest issue with Jim Buss

"[He's] trying to do it himself, trying to prove to everybody that this was the right decision, that 'my dad gave me the reins,' and he's not consulting anybody," Johnson said on ESPN's "First Take."

"His father was smart enough to understand that, you know? 'I can own the team, but I don't have the basketball expertise to make those decisions, so let me bring in Jerry West,' " said Johnson.

Magic Johnson now that he's in the same position

"We don't need Jerry West."

Guess he doesn't think it applies to him when HE is the one in charge....

So funny how Jeanie and Magic are literally becoming the precise way fans were convinced Jim was and so many aren't noticing it.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Math wrote:

Tbh this smells like Jeanie being petty over the Phil thing. This is just my opinion though.

If it's true. Could also be shade thrown at the new regime.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: