Magic Johnson - "We don't want anyone over 7-8% body fat anymore"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
D'Angelo Russell at Draft Combine = 8.3%
D'Angelo Russell on the LA Board = 12.3%

Larry Nance, Jr. at Draft Combine = 6.4%
Larry Nance, Jr. on the LA Board = 10.7%

Jordan Clarkson at Draft Combine = 4.3%
Jordan Clarkson on the LA Board = 11.8%

Julius Randle at Draft Combine = 9.4%
Julius Randle on the LA Board = 12.0%

And so on and so forth. Either every single one of our players has somehow managed to gain body fat% despite being on an NBA regiment, or there are significantly different techniques about how to measure this.

http://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/#!?SeasonYear=2014-15

Those combine numbers are prolly off. I don't know how they measure it at the combine, but it's prolly off. The percentages the lakers took are closer to more accurate and would resembles what most teams in the NBA look like as well. I've seen stuff saying magic was 4% and other players at the combined being 4% as well, that's just about at or below the essential fat you need on the body to be healthy and function which is normally regarded at 3-5% minimum, don't see how one could be a pro basketball player at that low level of fat they'd be constantly fatigued and start to have all kinds of problems with their body's systems and functions. Pro bodybuilders shred down to about 3-4% for shows and it's unhealthy, which is why they only do it for a very short period of time. I think the vast majority of people underestimate just how much body fat people have, even pro athletes. Like to the common person, you hear 11% body fat and think wow that's a lot of fat, when in reality it's a level that is lower than majority of people on earth and is elite athlete level lol. 7-8% is a fairly ridiculous expectation not normal diet and exercise but a whole life style and might not even be optimal for performance depending on the individual.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject:

Magic is gonna get this team disciplined, and make them tow the company line... no more insubordination, he will put an end to guys thinking they are above reproach or guys thinking they know better than the coach... and anyone lazy or not paying attention will get a pass right into his face. noice!
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
I take this as he wants these young guys to take their careers seriously and that means proper nutrition and working hard in the offseason, I have no problem with Magic and the Lakers having high standards of what they want players to do in the off-season. Expecting this from your players develops a winning culture something that has been sorely missed for a few years now

Yeah, we have been tanking. Even under Magic. Hard to develop a winning culture when you want to lose.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Magic is gonna get this team disciplined, and make them tow the company line... no more insubordination, he will put an end to guys thinking they are above reproach or guys thinking they know better than the coach... and anyone lazy or not paying attention will get a pass right into his face. noice!

So basically everything against what he did as a young player?
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject:

I feel like this is most relevant to Luol Deng than anyone
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'd rather have 10% body fat players who work on their game instead of drinking gallon sized water jugs, riding stationary bikes just to make "weight."

Nothing wrong with riding that stationary bike before hooping. I do it all the time , then I get on the court and turn into Westbrook

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject:

..including Ingram??? But we want Ingram to be FAT!! As fat as humanly possible. Please, let him get FAT!!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I'd rather have 10% body fat players who work on their game instead of drinking gallon sized water jugs, riding stationary bikes just to make "weight."

Nothing wrong with riding that stationary bike before hooping. I do it all the time , then I get on the court and turn into Westbrook

But you're still fat. (According to Magic).
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Drifts wrote:

Magic has learned tons of lesson over the years... I expect him to impart that knowledge to these young guys...

are you against what Magic wants to happen?
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Drifts wrote:

Magic has learned tons of lesson over the years... I expect him to impart that knowledge to these young guys...

are you against what Magic wants to happen?

Of course. But this one is asinine and unrealistic. Could actually be detrimental to actual on court production if guys are more concerned about "making weight." This isn't wrestling or boxing. Hell, he wanted Okafor who is probably 20% or more body fat.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:

So you're saying magic thinks Luke is a bad coach who can't control his own team? Or was Mitch a guy who made players feel like they could do what they wanted? Or maybe the training staff is getting fired?

Or maybe, this is just magic doing what magic does? Making sure everyonenknows he's inncharge and actively on the job.
richmorgan12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Magic is gonna get this team disciplined, and make them tow the company line... no more insubordination, he will put an end to guys thinking they are above reproach or guys thinking they know better than the coach

Like when Magic tuned out Paul Westhead and got him fired?
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject:

The point isn't the %... the message being sent is that team fitness needs to improve to an elite level. Nothing wrong with that. You can't control a lot of things. But you can control fitness.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
The point isn't the %... the message being sent is that team fitness needs to improve to an elite level. Nothing wrong with that. You can't control a lot of things. But you can control fitness.

You can do it without making unsafe precedents the standard.

Saying something like "we don't want anybody over 10% body fat anymore" would have been a lot more realistic and palpable.

That would have sent the same message without the youngsters killing their bodies in the off-season to try to meet the precedent.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

Saying something like "we don't want anybody over 10% body fat anymore" would have been a lot more realistic and palpable.

That would have sent the same message without the youngsters killing their bodies in the off-season to try to meet the precedent.

That's just how magic talks. He's not super eloquent (he's gotten better). It's his way of making a point.

Forget the number. The message is that the players need to come to training camp in top shape. That's all this means.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
MJST wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

That's just how magic talks. He's not super eloquent (he's gotten better). It's his way of making a point.

Forget the number. The message is that the players need to come to training camp in top shape. That's all this means.

Then he should have just said that. It's actually easier and conveys the same message without making him look the fool.

Of course, I doubt any of the players would take his words as gospel when it comes to fitness and most likely that body fat percentage will be the new '15 pounds' for next preseason. By that, I mean the way everyone comes in to a new season losing 15 pounds, putting on 15 pounds of muscle, etc. It just makes for a good soundbite even though it's pretty much never even close to reality.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject:

No issues from me here. I've heard Pat Riley numerous times over the last 20 years make statements about wanting his teams to be more physically fit. Agree with Magic.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

Or he could have just said we want our players to have a better diet and be in the best shape possible haha.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
No issues from me here. I've heard Pat Riley numerous times over the last 20 years make statements about wanting his teams to be more physically fit. Agree with Magic.

Ironically, magic, along with the other vets, had a lot to do with Riley leaving as coach of LA because they were sick of his overly aggressive practices...
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Drifts wrote:

so you do the same things @40 the things you did in your 20's?

maybe people wise up?
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Ironically, magic, along with the other vets, had a lot to do with Riley leaving as coach of LA because they were sick of his overly aggressive practices...

But Riles was right about that stuff. It's not like pushing the guys to be in their best shape possible cost the team a ring or anything.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

Exactly I could tell from his body the first preseason game he had decided to take the summer off after signing his big contract.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
MJST wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

Agreed. I doubt a meaningless verbal faux pas is really going to trip up these players. His overall point is sound.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Exactly I could tell from his body the first preseason game he had decided to take the summer off after signing his big contract.

Something is just off about Deng. Idk what it is. Who knows what he's like behind the scenes? But he showed up out of shape for the season and skipped his exit interview and was relatively absent from the team in the home stretch. Nick and Moz were still hanging around. What gives?
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Something is just off about Deng. Idk what it is. Who knows what he's like behind the scenes? But he showed up out of shape for the season and skipped his exit interview and was relatively absent from the team in the home stretch. Nick and Moz were still hanging around. What gives?

Especially weird when all you heard about was the veteran leadership he would bring when defending his deal last summer.

Not trying to get off topic. He has been rumored to be a hard worker all of his career. I'm hoping for a bounce back year from him and that starts this summer.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 9 of 17
Jump to: