OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2263, 2264, 2265 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
D’Angelo Russell on Brandon Ingram, Magic Johnson and How Players View ‘Tanking’

Quote:
SLAM sat down with the 21-year-old Lakers PG to discuss his second NBA season, his favorite video games and much more.

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/dangelo-russell-interview-lakers/#TQdcUbagZIjJwFsd.99

Quote:
SLAM: And what are some of the things they’ve told you they expect from you?

DR: Being an all-around better leader, a player that comes out every night on a consistent basis and dominates the game the way I know I can, and just try to change my body. I’m a skinny guy that you wouldn’t consider a strong, athletic guy, so try to change that and better myself for the eye test.

lawd the eye test makin' waves
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
pio2u wrote:
D’Angelo Russell on Brandon Ingram, Magic Johnson and How Players View ‘Tanking’

Quote:
SLAM sat down with the 21-year-old Lakers PG to discuss his second NBA season, his favorite video games and much more.

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/dangelo-russell-interview-lakers/#TQdcUbagZIjJwFsd.99

Quote:

DR: Being an all-around better leader, a player that comes out every night on a consistent basis and dominates the game the way I know I can, and just try to change my body. I’m a skinny guy that you wouldn’t consider a strong, athletic guy, so try to change that and better myself for the eye test.

crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

As it should be. The eye test is the number one method for analysis. Stats and then advanced stats are only useful as supporting data behind the eye test. If you proritize advanced stats over the eye test then you will be incorrectly evaluating a player. And Magic knows that best.

Take that for data!
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

As it should be. The eye test is the number one method for analysis. Stats and then advanced stats are only useful as supporting data behind the eye test. If you proritize advanced stats over the eye test then you will be incorrectly evaluating a player. And Magic knows that best.

Take that for data!

Magic's eye test had him wanting to draft Brandon Knight #1 in his draft.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Take that for data!

You have it completely backwards. You're advocating that people ignore data and evidence and just go with how they feel on a particular subject.
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Take that for data!

You have it completely backwards. You're advocating that people ignore data and evidence and just go with how they feel on a particular subject.

Who is saying that?

You take 20 people and rank them off eye test. Then you adjust that ranking off basic stats like points or assists. Then you break ties in rankings by using advanced stats.

But if you start with advanced stats then go basic stats then go eye test then you are backwards
richmorgan12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

And that drunken bum Okafor.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject:

richmorgan12 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

And that drunken bum Okafor.

His eye test also saw MCW as the next Kidd when Philly traded him.

Btw comments under DLo's Slam article is cringe-worthy as usual.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Somebody has definitely been reading LG.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
nash wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
DLO wants to work out with Kobe too

https://twitter.com/lakersnation/status/855179279012737025

Is Toxsch08 our tox?

naw my twitter handle is @shaqpropagation
edit: just read his tweet It's my nemesis. Shadow Tox

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Take that for data!

What if your eye test is faulty, and you then only seek stats and metrics to support it? Btw, points and assists are really useless except in context, and if you already have the context...
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
nash wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
Player A: 23 points, 3.5 assists, 3.4 rebounds, 3.2 TOV, .9 steals, .3 blocks, 53.1 TS%, -2.3 BPM

Player B: 20 points, 6 assists, 4.5 rebounds, 3.5 TOV, 1.7 steals, .3 blocks, 51.8 TS%, -.5 BPM

Please, bring player C because I don't like the numbers of those two.

Lots of turnovers, low TS% and BPM from bad to bellow average

Presenting, the only 1st-or-2nd-year 20-or-younger guards ever that Nash would find acceptable:

>53% TS% + 1+ BPM

Now you understand we can't miss using my criteria?

Let's talk seriously.

Raw numbers are ok, but we have players like Okafor, Brandon Jennings and Mayo posting some great early numbers and it never translated into impact on games.

Last season when Okafor was leading all rookies in scoring with a top five PER some posters brought his bad BPM into discussion and it was a pretty valid point. There is not anything set in stone about players development, but we can verify that independently from the raw numbers, most top players had a positive BPM in their second season going forward. Of course you can nitpick several exceptions, but USUALLY it translates better than other stats. Then we have to consider the role someone is playing and also the age of a player. Nance had a pretty good BPM in his second season. Is he a main guy, a superstar in the making? Most would agree that he is not, even because we have to consider his age and college experience, but I can feel myself pretty secure to make the bold statement that he is going to be way above average in his role, a great role player.

First year is more about the eye test unless you find a rookie able to deliver with consistency something extremely rare, but if usually the 3rd season is when you really know the player you have, 2nd season gives you a lot of signals.

Age, experience, it all matters, we can't compare Russell to a player like Ginobili. When we look at BPM it is clear we can find more players we want in our roster with a positive BPM than we are going to find with a negative one with exceptions in both sides.
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Take that for data!

What if your eye test is faulty, and you then only seek stats and metrics to support it? Btw, points and assists are really useless except in context, and if you already have the context...

What are you gonna do when the majority of people have the same eye test tho? Stay defiant in your stance that your way is the only right way? Doesn't really make much of a difference anyways since we have to go by the people making these decisions and use their eye tests.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject:

You get extra points on the scoreboard for passing the eye test in ice skating and in boxing, not basketball. The final score is a stat!

This organization is so (bleep).
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
Dominator wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Take that for data!

Who is saying that?

You take 20 people and rank them off eye test. Then you adjust that ranking off basic stats like points or assists. Then you break ties in rankings by using advanced stats.

But if you start with advanced stats then go basic stats then go eye test then you are backwards

Do you really think that's how it works? With the basic stats part? And then advanced stats are the tiebreaker?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Take that for data!

What are you gonna do when the majority of people have the same eye test tho? Stay defiant in your stance that your way is the only right way? Doesn't really make much of a difference anyways since we have to go by the people making these decisions and use their eye tests.

1. Majority of whom? Fans and people without strong histories of being right?

2. Majorities are often wrong.and majorities who rely on feel (ings) over data are wrong even more profoundly and often.

3. I'm not holding to anything, I'm seeking empirical truth and valuing it where I find it.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject:

my eye test on Russell tells me he has incredible footwork, well beyond most players his age, he has great vision, some of his turnovers are from his teammates just not expecting he saw them and reacting wrong, he has a fluid jump shot that most see as awkward because he is a lefty
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject:

This organization used to be comprised of some of the smartest people in the sport. Now we're laughably behind the curve and somehow have no use for Jerry West.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Take that for data!

1. Majority of whom? Fans and people without strong histories of being right?

2. Majorities are often wrong.and majorities who rely on feel (ings) over data are wrong even more profoundly and often.

3. I'm not holding to anything, I'm seeking empirical truth and valuing it where I find it.

The majority of people wanted Jahlil Okafor...including Magic Johnson, who openly said he would've drafted him first.

But it's fine. He was a great basketball player so he's obviously qualified to do this job.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

Is the quote from Fizdale seriously going to be the new anti analytics movement
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
Dominator wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Take that for data!

Who is saying that?

Do you really think that's how it works? With the basic stats part? And then advanced stats are the tiebreaker?

That is one method, yes. And I honestly believe that is basically what magic will be doing. We'll know our answer by the first week in July.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject:

Barkley: Ernie back on my day we shot no threes and didn't have nerds talkin about analytics. Threes are ruining the game and the Warriors ee nd defensively. Take that for data!
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
Is the quote from Fizdale seriously going to be the new anti analytics movement

It doesn't matter that the fiercely anti-analytic guys tend to you know...LOSE!

How's it goink?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
That is one method, yes. And I honestly believe that is basically what magic will be doing. We'll know our answer by the first week in July.

And that's how you arrive at the Jahlil Okafor's, Brandon Knight's, and MCW's of the world. We're (bleep).
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
This organization used to be comprised of some of the smartest people in the sport. Now we're laughably behind the curve and somehow have no use for Jerry West.
hold me fam
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2263, 2264, 2265 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next
Page 2264 of 2856
Jump to: