GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
tox wrote:
WeDidItReddit wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Is it possible that Deng is actually older than 31? LeBron is 32 and still the best player in the league, whereas Deng looks totally finished.

He may be biologically 31 but after playing for Thibs he probably has the body of a 50 year old

lol
the weird part is he actually has played fewer minutes than LeBron... LBJ is just a total freak.

Expecting a bounce back year from him. Will help make up for losing Lou and possibly Nick.

Surprisingly optimistic of you. I'm skeptical, because he's gonna be on the bench without Russell spoonfeeding him shots. If Clarkson is still on the team...

He will need to get minutes at PF. Might be in favor of making Nance or Randle the full time back up 5 with Moz or Zu starting.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
tox wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
tox wrote:
WeDidItReddit wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Is it possible that Deng is actually older than 31? LeBron is 32 and still the best player in the league, whereas Deng looks totally finished.

He may be biologically 31 but after playing for Thibs he probably has the body of a 50 year old

lol
the weird part is he actually has played fewer minutes than LeBron... LBJ is just a total freak.

Expecting a bounce back year from him. Will help make up for losing Lou and possibly Nick.

Surprisingly optimistic of you. I'm skeptical, because he's gonna be on the bench without Russell spoonfeeding him shots. If Clarkson is still on the team...

He will need to get minutes at PF. Might be in favor of making Nance or Randle the full time back up 5 with Moz or Zu starting.

They are actually a good pair at 4 And five. If you could turn Randle and Clarkson into a nice guard/wing with dlo and ingram?
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Luol Deng: "I've got a lot of people to shut up next year."

“There’s a bitter taste in my mouth,” Deng said. “I just gotta come back with a chip on my shoulder. This year started to build a fire inside me. I don’t tell people a lot of times because I carry on not being as competitive, but I’ve got a lot of people to shut up next year.”

Read More: http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-luol-deng-says-2016-17-season-left-a-bitter-taste-in-his-mouth/2017/04/19/

That's the spirit, now show us.

All fine and good, but FIRST he needs to shut it, take a good look in the mirror and play the game of basketball and show that he can at earn at least a pittance of that $18 million a year. Basically he needs to play at Melo's level now to fully earn what he is being paid. He can tell other to shut it, when he is proving that he is earning his keep and $18 million is a lot of keep to earn!
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

“There’s a bitter taste in my mouth,” Deng said. “I just gotta come back with a chip on my shoulder. This year started to build a fire inside me. I don’t tell people a lot of times because I carry on not being as competitive, but I’ve got a lot of people to shut up next year.”

Read More: http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-luol-deng-says-2016-17-season-left-a-bitter-taste-in-his-mouth/2017/04/19/

hopefully some other team.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
MJST wrote:

All fine and good, but FIRST he needs to shut it, take a good look in the mirror and play the game of basketball and show that he can at earn at least a pittance of that $18 million a year. Basically he needs to play at Melo's level now to fully earn what he is being paid. He can tell other to shut it, when he is proving that he is earning his keep and $18 million is a lot of keep to earn!

Uh, that's what he just said...
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject:

^^ I took it as his saying "its not my fault, the players I was with, I couldn't play well with" What he should have said was "I played about as well as hotdog vomit last year, I mean I blew chunks. Next year I will play much better."
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
^^ I took it as his saying "its not my fault, the players I was with, I couldn't play well with" What he should have said was "I played about as well as hotdog vomit last year, I mean I blew chunks. Next year I will play much better."
He was right though. For example, he started off terrible, but he soon got comfortable playing with the starters. After November, he averaged 14 ppg on 58% TS%, which is pretty good. It just took an adjustment period of getting used to his teammates.

He was hot garbage when he played with the bench though, especially Clarkson. But technically, that only reinforces his point that much of his struggles came because he didn't have chemistry with his teammates.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject:

I'll kick the dead Deng horse a little more

per Luol Deng 2017 stats Espn

They don't show his 2 minute stint which I believe was on 4/14 in the next to last game. Espn shows he last played 2/26 when the spurs were in town and he played 13 minutes. He didn't play the last 22 games, shut down as was Mozgov. Also didn't play in 4 other games, so he played in 56 of the 82 regular season games.

Contract: $18 million a year 4 seasons
$219k and change per 82 games
$321k and change effectively for 56 games played.
7.6 points per game, 5.3 rebounds 26.5 minutes per game played

Number of games 10 points or better: 19 of the 56 games
High point game 22 vs. Knicks in a loss - I don't think he was a Laker high scorer all season. Not saying he is a scorer at this point of his career, but for a guy making $18 million, not once in the year high scorer? way to bring it!

There were some positives from this last season, Lou, JC, Young all played pretty well off the bench. Both DLO and Randle were hot and cold, but played well in many games. Ingram looked really good after the all-star break. Zubac , Nwamba, Robinson, Nance, all played good in spots. MWP ended the season well in last home game as a Laker.

By far, the biggest disappointments were the big contracts to Deng and Mozgov and I hope they were both told that by Magic. I actually wish DEng would read some of these posts on our site, man up, and play much better next season, even if he gets moved to another team for a bag of Fritos.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
I'll kick the dead Deng horse a little more

per Luol Deng 2017 stats Espn

They don't show his 2 minute stint which I believe was on 4/14 in the next to last game. Espn shows he last played 2/26 when the spurs were in town and he played 13 minutes. He didn't play the last 22 games, shut down as was Mozgov. Also didn't play in 4 other games, so he played in 56 of the 82 regular season games.

Contract: $18 million a year 4 seasons
$219k and change per 82 games
$321k and change effectively for 56 games played.
7.6 points per game, 5.3 rebounds 26.5 minutes per game played

Number of games 10 points or better: 19 of the 56 games
High point game 22 vs. Knicks in a loss - I don't think he was a Laker high scorer all season. Not saying he is a scorer at this point of his career, but for a guy making $18 million, not once in the year high scorer? way to bring it!

There were some positives from this last season, Lou, JC, Young all played pretty well off the bench. Both DLO and Randle were hot and cold, but played well in many games. Ingram looked really good after the all-star break. Zubac , Nwamba, Robinson, Nance, all played good in spots. MWP ended the season well in last home game as a Laker.

By far, the biggest disappointments were the big contracts to Deng and Mozgov and I hope they were both told that by Magic. I actually wish DEng would read some of these posts on our site, man up, and play much better next season, even if he gets moved to another team for a bag of Fritos.

the season ended on 4/12...they played on 4/11 but I don't even see Deng on the bench...I could be wrong.
home/awawy feed...
http://yoursportsinhd.com/game/0021601215/

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/denglu01/gamelog/2017
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject:

Like I said, Deng has gotten a lot of rest and in the mean time the team has gotten a lot better. I predict he will play much better next season.

Contract is still bad, but I think he will contribute. He is not as bad as he looked last season.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
He was right though. For example, he started off terrible, but he soon got comfortable playing with the starters. After November, he averaged 14 ppg on 58% TS%, which is pretty good. It just took an adjustment period of getting used to his teammates.

He was hot garbage when he played with the bench though, especially Clarkson. But technically, that only reinforces his point that much of his struggles came because he didn't have chemistry with his teammates.

Yup. The longer I watch hoop, the more I'm struck by the value of lineups and continuity vs individual guys. I've even started to look at players by how they are affected by lineups (role players) and how they affect lineups (impact players, both positive and negative).

It is how last year it immediately jumped out to me that the two lineups were incompatible, that guys who everyone was hating on were actually quite good in proper lineup and continuity context, that Russell makes guys better, that Clarkson does not, and that while the starting lineup was actually solid, its weakest link in terms of group production was Randle.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Yup. The longer I watch hoop, the more I'm struck by the value of lineups and continuity vs individual guys. I've even started to look at players by how they are affected by lineups (role players) and how they affect lineups (impact players, both positive and negative).

It is how last year it immediately jumped out to me that the two lineups were incompatible, that guys who everyone was hating on were actually quite good in proper lineup and continuity context, that Russell makes guys better, that Clarkson does not, and that while the starting lineup was actually solid, its weakest link in terms of group production was Randle.

Seems like Clarkson makes most of this teammates worse.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

we don't have any players that make others better...still trying to get themselves on track
Dilla_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject:

Deng played most of his last season for Miami at PF and before this season started most people said wasn't a SF anymore. This season showed Deng needs to play PF to get the best out of him. The Lakers have already got Randle and Nance Jr at the four and I can't see Deng getting much playing time at PF next season. Deng played majority of the season at SF for the Lakers this season which meant he was guarding SGs/SFs where he struggled and would be better guarding PFs.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Like I said, Deng has gotten a lot of rest and in the mean time the team has gotten a lot better. I predict he will play much better next season.

Contract is still bad, but I think he will contribute. He is not as bad as he looked last season.

I agree. Deng is a role player, When asked to do much it wont look good. But to be on the floor and play both ends he can be a solid contributor.

Now if we can get rid of him you do it. But having him back is not bad either.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

He's ok with guys who thrive off of simple ball penetration. So a guy like Nance or Black is fine with Clarkson because they get shots off the PnR, or get to clean up his misses at the rim.
Dilla_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

I just don't see how Deng will get much playing time at PF next season if Randle and Nance Jr are kept unless Nance Jr plays at the 5 in the second-unit with Deng at PF which I very much doubt that will happen.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

Dilla_ wrote:
I just don't see how Deng will get much playing time at PF next season if Randle and Nance Jr are kept unless Nance Jr plays at the 5 in the second-unit with Deng at PF which I very much doubt that will happen.

Well Nance did finish the year as the starting C so it's not THAT far fetched. Deng HAS to play minutes at the 4 and that's the only real way without a trade. I also dont like the idea of having to move on from Black when he was our best defender last year. But we have so much invested in Deng. We need to all we can to put him in the right spots.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Dilla_ wrote:

Well Nance did finish the year as the starting C so it's not THAT far fetched. Deng HAS to play minutes at the 4 and that's the only real way without a trade. I also dont like the idea of having to move on from Black when he was our best defender last year. But we have so much invested in Deng. We need to all we can to put him in the right spots.

IDK if Black is that great of a defender. He was mostly playing against 2nd/3rd string players and really inconsistent time/garbage time.

I Think Nance was a better defender overall, I also appreciated that defense Nick Young played for portions of the season.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Assuming they still think Moz has some use, there's no available path for Deng at the 4 without a trade. Zu playing significant minutes next season precludes the Nance option at the 5. Black is totally (bleep).

Last edited by greenfrog on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Not to go off topic but Carmelo is a better option at the 4 then Deng, better athlete/better shooter/more versatile., etc. I don't think Deng is back next year.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Not to go off topic but Carmelo is a better option at the 4 then Deng, better athlete/better shooter/more versatile., etc. I don't think Deng is back next year.

You are going off topic and IMO your post makes no sense. We are stuck with Deng and we are not getting Camelo.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

melo is a ball stopper...the worst fit for our young crew/Lukes game plan...PERIOD
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

You are going off topic and IMO your post makes no sense. We are stuck with Deng and we are not getting Camelo.

Okay, but I still believe that Deng isn't back next year, skipping exit interviews which is a Important time for players on the team and not showing up to games for most of the season when he was on the DNP list.

And also I would say there is a good chance that Melo is traded to the Lakers if we don't get Butler or PG13.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

melo is a ball stopper...the worst fit for our young crew/Lukes game plan...PERIOD

Who says Melo is gonna be playing with the Lakers young team? He's likely gonna play with vets that we will get in FA or trade.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 73 of 157
Jump to: