Official MAGINKA Front Office Thread (Ignored coaching staff's pleas to re-sign Brook Lopez and Randle pg. 145)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 172, 173, 174  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
ocho wrote:
This doesn't pass the smell test for me.

Magic's first call was going to be to Kobe. He said he planned on reaching out to former Lakers. He couldn't ask for a bigger PR win than bringing back Jerry West, in a role in which he would be under no obligation to listen to his advice if he didn't want to. Zero risk and mucho reward. I don't buy it.

I don't think so, it's notable that Magic specifically didn't include Jerry West in this list of folks who reached out to.

And there is risk. There is risk because West is one of the few guys in LA who has as much, if not more, basketball cachet as Magic. If Magic and West get in a feud (imagine something similar to West threatening to resign if a Klay for Love deal went down... I believe he's pulled this stunt before), it will reflect very poorly on Magic.

I don't know if there's an exec in the league who has more of a free pass from their owner, at least for a few years, than Magic has from Jeanie.

So why compromise that and bring any ire to management? Pissing off Jerry West with your decisions is one way to bring the heat to Jeanie and in turn put your job in jeopardy. Of course, as Omar suggests, it can also simply be an ego thing. In fact, Occam's Razor suggests that's the more likely explanation.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject:

Magic has just as big an ego as Phil & all the other uber successful people in sports.

If they didn't want Jerry back it's because Magic and/or Jeanie don't want to share the credit.

In that case I'm not high on this regime's chances of success
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject:

the kids are in control....no adults allowed!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
ocho wrote:

Magic's first call was going to be to Kobe. He said he planned on reaching out to former Lakers. He couldn't ask for a bigger PR win than bringing back Jerry West, in a role in which he would be under no obligation to listen to his advice if he didn't want to. Zero risk and mucho reward. I don't buy it.

I don't think so, it's notable that Magic specifically didn't include Jerry West in this list of folks who reached out to.

And there is risk. There is risk because West is one of the few guys in LA who has as much, if not more, basketball cachet as Magic. If Magic and West get in a feud (imagine something similar to West threatening to resign if a Klay for Love deal went down... I believe he's pulled this stunt before), it will reflect very poorly on Magic.

I don't know if there's an exec in the league who has more of a free pass from their owner, at least for a few years, than Magic has from Jeanie.

Short term yes, and from what I hear, he doesn't want anyone looking over his shoulder and stealing his thunder.

Yes, if DLO, Randle and/or Ingram blow up in the next couple of years I can see Magic taking full credit for it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
ocho wrote:

Short term yes, and from what I hear, he doesn't want anyone looking over his shoulder and stealing his thunder.

Yes, if DLO, Randle and/or Ingram blow up in the next couple of years I can see Magic taking full credit for it.

I would take that deal....they blow up into stars, and he can take the credit! He would deserve some for not moving them.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
ocho wrote:

I would take that deal....they blow up into stars, and he can take the credit! He would deserve some for not moving them.

So props for doing nothing?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
ocho wrote:

So props for doing nothing?

no deal > bad deal.....nothing > something bad
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:

That is a pretty weak rating system. If the young players blow up it will be on them and the coaching staff. I guess Magic can take credit for Luke too since he hasn't fired him.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
That is a pretty weak rating system. If the young players blow up it will be on them and the coaching staff. I guess Magic can take credit for Luke too since he hasn't fired him.

Grading him on a curve... sounds fair to me. I'll give him all the praise he wants if he abstains from stupidity. It's a low bar, but one I'm skeptical he'll meet.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
ocho wrote:

looks like magic's bar is laying on the ground...think he'll get over it?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Grading him on a curve... sounds fair to me. I'll give him all the praise he wants if he abstains from stupidity. It's a low bar, but one I'm skeptical he'll meet.

That is where I am at, once things start happening then I will begin to form an opinion. For now, there is nothing to base an opinion on.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
ocho wrote:

You know what they say, gm's that have to tank or build through the lottery are building for their successor. By the time those guys develop and are ready to play, the the gm that drafted them has usually been fired by that time. The next front office regime always gets the credit. Look at Colangelo in Philly....and those guys aren't even ready yet.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:

You know what they say, gm's that have to tank or build through the lottery are building for their successor. By the time those guys develop and are ready to play, the the gm that drafted them has usually been fired by that time. The next front office regime always gets the credit. Look at Colangelo in Philly....and those guys aren't even ready yet.

Except literally nobody is giving Colangelo any credit for anything. At best people are neutral about him.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Get Paul George in the purple and gold by next year please
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject:

*screams internally*

https://twitter.com/GrantGoldberg/status/855528039735738369
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
*screams internally*

Uhm... what?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject:

If that isn't tampering I don't know what is

But not like everyone doesn't tamper anyway.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
*screams internally*

loved Magic the player...
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
*screams internally*

What's your issue with it? It just seemed like him throwing jokes, being friendly, and playing up the crowd. If you watch the interview with Jimmy Kimmel, Magic doesn't stop laughing, joking, and smiling the whole 12-13 minutes.

Magic is the opposite spectrum of Mitch. People prefer a person with Magic's personality than a person with Mitch's. I prefer a person with Mitch's style, but I get why people are so enamored with Magic.

Jeanie did a podcast with Uninterrupted. I haven't listened to it yet though.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
*screams internally*

He looks like a parody
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
*screams internally*

What's your issue with it? It just seemed like him throwing jokes, being friendly, and playing up the crowd. If you watch the interview with Jimmy Kimmel, Magic doesn't stop laughing, joking, and smiling the whole 12-13 minutes.

Magic is the opposite spectrum of Mitch. People prefer a person with Magic's personality than a person with Mitch's. I prefer a person with Mitch's style, but I get why people are so enamored with Magic.

Yeah I agree with you.. I see no bog deal in Magic. It's his personality.

You should listen to Jeanie's interview.. it was super informative of her rational as to why she's done what she's done. Hard to disagree with much of what she said...

Also, she's so genuinely likable. Cute personality, friendly, great sense of humor, passionate about the Lakers, while she explained "bringing out the beast", you can sense that vulnerable side to her that's super endearing.

I feel really good about her and the general direction. TBD if Magic makes the right calls but clearly they have shifted to a top to bottom communicating organization much like SA and GS have found so much success in.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
akk7 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
*screams internally*

Yeah I agree with you.. I see no bog deal in Magic. It's his personality.

You should listen to Jeanie's interview.. it was super informative of her rational as to why she's done what she's done. Hard to disagree with much of what she said...

Also, she's so genuinely likable. Cute personality, friendly, great sense of humor, passionate about the Lakers, while she explained "bringing out the beast", you can sense that vulnerable side to her that's super endearing.

I feel really good about her and the general direction. TBD if Magic makes the right calls but clearly they have shifted to a top to bottom communicating organization much like SA and GS have found so much success in.

Don't get me wrong. I don't agree with what Magic said on Kimmel. It kind of gives off an unprofessional vibe. However, Magic can pull that off without it looking unprofessional, simply because he's Magic. So it sounds endearing/playful.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
*screams internally*

It's tampering. That's my issue with it. Which he's been dinged for before.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject:

But ultimately if we can land a guy like PG in FA, who (bleep)' cares?
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject:

that was a great interview, the Lakers are open for business. Maybe Paul George would like say... 2 of the greatest players ever to mentor him? Who knows?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Page 7 of 174
Jump to: