The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 963, 964, 965 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
romeo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

randles handle will improve with experience. his jumper needs work, so once he starts hitting them w/ consistancy (pau gasol is now a legit 3pt shooter lmao compared to the d'antoni days) he can utilize his speed to get to the rim since players will have to play him closer. pretty much everything we already know, so i wouldnt trade him. at least not for guys like aaron gordon, exum, smart or vonleh. i would tho for lavine and saric
underdogsgv
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject:

ingle wrote:
Hypothetical

Boston calls and offers Marcus Smart straight up for Randle, would you do that?

Heck no.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
22 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ingle wrote:
Hypothetical

Boston calls and offers Marcus Smart straight up for Randle, would you do that?

Laugh before hanging up or hang up then laugh.

Then call back, laugh, say, "Were you serious?", laugh again and hang up.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject:

I really liked Randle's exit interview; he seems like a very coachable player.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject:

romeo wrote:
randles handle will improve with experience. his jumper needs work, so once he starts hitting them w/ consistancy (pau gasol is now a legit 3pt shooter lmao compared to the d'antoni days) he can utilize his speed to get to the rim since players will have to play him closer. pretty much everything we already know, so i wouldnt trade him. at least not for guys like aaron gordon, exum, smart or vonleh. i would tho for lavine and saric

IMO while his jumper needs work it is better than Blake Griffins was at his age.

HE also doesn't have a hitch in his shot.

Randles ft % in year 2 is already better than Blake's was his first 6 seasons which IMO is very telling of shooting form.

Not only till this season did Blake improve (7th season) in that category.

Another one is 3pointers. Until this season Blake never made more than 12 3 pointers in a season. Randle passed that in his second season.

That being said I would trade Randle For Aaron Gordon.

But I wouldn't get rid of Randle to sign Blake.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

Randle is the most likely one to go out in a trade. I don't think the Lakers are going to want to pay him what he is going to ask for.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:

because he is.

Combine that with his talent and work ethic and passion to be great and you got a player that if he remains healthy should reach their potential with the proper coaching and goals, and he has that in Walton.

LakerLanny wrote:
Randle is the most likely one to go out in a trade. I don't think the Lakers are going to want to pay him what he is going to ask for.

If he has earned it why wouldn't they?

To be honest, if Randle played up to be worth a max contract next season it befuddles me that some Lakers fans would be mad about it.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

because he is.

Combine that with his talent and work ethic and passion to be great and you got a player that if he remains healthy should reach their potential with the proper coaching and goals, and he has that in Walton.

LakerLanny wrote:

To be honest, if Randle played up to be worth a max contract next season it befuddles me that some Lakers fans would be mad about it.

Yeah I like Randle.

He improved this season in areas we need to see him get better.

I've said it before but if it comes down to randle vs Blake. Gimme Randle any day at this point. Taking into account injuries, age, timeline.

That being said if all it takes to get PG or Butler this summer is randle and Houston pick, you gotta make the move.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

If that's the case then this FO will show they are clueless. You don't trade cheap young players on the way up, you do it when they can actually bring a good return. That would be incredibly stupid.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
romeo wrote:

IMO while his jumper needs work it is better than Blake Griffins was at his age.

Randles ft % in year 2 is already better than Blake's was his first 6 seasons which IMO is very telling of shooting form.

Another one is 3pointers. Until this season Blake never made more than 12 3 pointers in a season. Randle passed that in his second season.

especially at the first statement.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

If that's the case then this FO will show they are clueless. You don't trade cheap young players on the way up, you do it when they can actually bring a good return. That would be incredibly stupid.

depends on who we get. its pretty premature to call the FO clueless and stupid based on absolutely nothing
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
romeo wrote:

especially at the first statement.

Did you watch Aaron Gordon this season? just wondering.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
MJST wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

because he is.

LakerLanny wrote:

Yeah I like Randle.

I've said it before but if it comes down to randle vs Blake. Gimme Randle any day at this point. Taking into account injuries, age, timeline.

That being said if all it takes to get PG or Butler this summer is randle and Houston pick, you gotta make the move.

Or you could wait a year and get George in free agency.

I don't think there's any argument that we're a stronger team if we wait a year to get George than we would be, trading youth to get him. Stronger team means bigger chance to get him.

There's an old saying

"Don't trade a young Robin, for an older Robin. Especially when the young Robin still has the chance to wear the cowl."

I'll roll the dice on our young team continuing to progress next season. We'll have an answer at the end of the season. If the youngsters progress next season and we're a solid team, we have a legitimate shot to get Paul George if we look on the verge. However if they don't and we don't have a chance to get Paul George, in it's own way we also have our answer as to whether or not we'd have been able to keep him.

The benefit is that if our players show out, they do it on our team, not on another one, and we're stronger because of it and a better looking destination.

Speaking of which let's look at the post ASB numbers from Myles Turner and Julius Randle, Turner obviously has more blocks, and plays center and rim protection. But let's look at the other ones.

Myles Turner Post ASB Numbers

12 PPG
7.4 REB
1.7 AST

49% Field Goal
27.3% From Three
32.4 MPG

Julius Randle Post ASB Numbers

13.7 PPG
9.7 REB
3.6 AST

48.6% Field Goal
28.2% From Three
30 MPG

Keep in mind how Turner is known as a stretch big and considered one of the most promising young talents in the NBA.

If Turner is, then Julius is on the path as well, but as a better passer. What shocked me the most is the three point percentages. But just something to look at.

Randle also shot better post ASB from three than Porzingis (26.4%) which again, was a surprise to me. Randle is truly under the radar with how good he's been, particularly post ASB.

Last edited by MJST on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

Never ceases to amaze me how so many here just blatantly ignore how much he grew as a player this year.

People claimed his mid range shot would never improve. Now he's shooting threes with confidence.

People said his alleged t-rex arms would prevent him from being a strong finisher around the rim against length. Now he does it with regularity.

People said he wouldn't grow out of his out of control tendencies in the open floor. Now he does a great job of recognizing when to play like the Hulk and when to finesse when he's on the move and around the rim.

People said he was selfish and wouldn't change his game in a more pass-friendly system. Now Luke plays him at the top of the floor in most of their sets and allows him to direct traffic and make reads, just like Draymond does in GS's offense.

Despite the improvement in all of these areas, people still critique his game like he's the same player he was last year under Byron. He's the PF of the future. He'll be even better next season and the Lakers would regret it if they traded him, especially for a one-year rental player like George who they could sign as a free agent in another year without having to give anything away.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

if any GM manages to squeeze *both* Randle and DLO (not to mention the pick), they're going to look like a genius in a few years and Magic will appropriately be seen as a fraud.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject:

Randle and Turner has some crazy potential as a front-court. Turner is the one guy that mitigates the urgency of Randle developing a jump shot. If they can add DLO and the top 3 pick as well, that's a terrifying team in a couple years, and much better than the one we'll be rolling out.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Clarkson is the most likely one to go out in a trade. I don't think the Lakers are going to want to pay him what he is going to ask for.

Fully agree.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

depends on who we get. its pretty premature to call the FO clueless and stupid based on absolutely nothing

There is a big difference between trading for talent and trading because you are chicken (bleep) scared to pay them. And that was the scenario in the post I responded to.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
MJST wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

because he is.

LakerLanny wrote:

Yeah I like Randle.

I don't think there's any argument that we're a stronger team if we wait a year to get George than we would be, trading youth to get him. Stronger team means bigger chance to get him.

There's an old saying

"Don't trade a young Robin, for an older Robin. Especially when the young Robin still has the chance to wear the cowl."

I'll roll the dice on our young team continuing to progress next season. We'll have an answer at the end of the season. If the youngsters progress next season and we're a solid team, we have a legitimate shot to get Paul George if we look on the verge. However if they don't and we don't have a chance to get Paul George, in it's own way we also have our answer as to whether or not we'd have been able to keep him.

The benefit is that if our players show out, they do it on our team, not on another one, and we're stronger because of it and a better looking destination.

Speaking of which let's look at the post ASB numbers from Myles Turner and Julius Randle, Turner obviously has more blocks, and plays center and rim protection. But let's look at the other ones.

12 PPG
7.4 REB
1.7 AST

49% Field Goal
27.3% From Three
32.4 MPG

13.7 PPG
9.7 REB
3.6 AST

48.6% Field Goal
28.2% From Three
30 MPG

Keep in mind how Turner is known as a stretch big and considered one of the most promising young talents in the NBA.

If Turner is, then Julius is on the path as well, but as a better passer. What shocked me the most is the three point percentages. But just something to look at.

Randle also shot better post ASB from three than Porzingis (26.4%) which again, was a surprise to me. Randle is truly under the radar with how good he's been, particularly post ASB.

Randle is my favorite Laker but you make that trade after this game ends today.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
MJST wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
MJST wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

because he is.

LakerLanny wrote:

Yeah I like Randle.

There's an old saying

12 PPG
7.4 REB
1.7 AST

49% Field Goal
27.3% From Three
32.4 MPG

13.7 PPG
9.7 REB
3.6 AST

48.6% Field Goal
28.2% From Three
30 MPG

Randle is my favorite Laker but you make that trade after this game ends today.

Nope. Not for the expiring Paul George. You pursue him next off-season.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
MJST wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

because he is.

LakerLanny wrote:

Yeah I like Randle.

There's an old saying

12 PPG
7.4 REB
1.7 AST

49% Field Goal
27.3% From Three
32.4 MPG

13.7 PPG
9.7 REB
3.6 AST

48.6% Field Goal
28.2% From Three
30 MPG

You can't ignore defense and cherry pick box score numbers. Lets look at the cumulative stats.

Turner: +2.55 Real Plus Minus (#7 center in the league)
Randle: -1.81 Real Plus Minus (#67 PF in the league)

They are NOT comparable players. Randle's defense is horrible, Turner's defense is excellent. And defense is extremely important for front court players.

Bottom line for Randle is this. He has to get much, much better defensively. He has made some encouraging strides offensively this season (his offense is still not great, but I'm not worried about him too much on that end). He has not made significant strides defensively. The worst part about his defense is that he fails at simple rotations.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject:

romeo wrote:

you dont trade randle for zach lavine. unless zach starts showing you some serious defense. until then. thats a wasted move.

if zach never plays any better d than he is now but his offense gets better. he still wont be better than randle's overall contribution. remember randle is giving your rebounds too, along with assists and solid pick and roll defense, especially on the switch. his interior defense needs a ton of work.
lavine right now isnt giving you a thing on defense, team or man to man.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Clarkson is the most likely one to go out in a trade. I don't think the Lakers are going to want to pay him what he is going to ask for.

Fully agree.

Judah do you still think Lakers shouldn't trade Randle for Aaron Gordon?

You never answered me after your comment.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject:

I think his opinion was obvious. That would be a horrible trade.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I think his opinion was obvious. That would be a horrible trade.

really think Randle is that much better than Gordon?

Damn I must be seeing something different with Gordon.

If anything they are pretty equal... Ill have to reassess
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 963, 964, 965 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 964 of 1536
Jump to: