Magic Johnson - "We don't want anyone over 7-8% body fat anymore"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject:

Pat Riley did this in Miami. He benched veterans for measuring 9% when their target was 8% body fat.

http://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=2718996
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Pat Riley did this in Miami. He benched veterans for measuring 9% when their target was 8% body fat.

Figured it was Riley that Magic got it from. This old school macho BS just will never die here.

Last edited by greenfrog on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

Both Posey and Walker were out of shape that season. There's no excuse for professional NBA players to have poor conditioning and be out of shape when the season starts. This is their job to be in optimal shape, they get paid millions for this.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Both Posey and Walker were out of shape that season. There's no excuse for professional NBA players to have poor conditioning and be out of shape when the season starts. This is their job to be in optimal shape, they get paid millions for this.

9% is poor conditioning?

And if that's "out of shape" what was Shaq that season?
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

9% is poor conditioning?

Posey claims that but They weren't at 9% they were way over that mark. Just go back and watch them that season.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Riley said. "By the way, both of them are in the
best condition of their lives. They're very close. But a deadline
is a deadline."

So no. It was just Riley being a hardass, and more importantly getting a story out there about what a hardass he is.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Quote:
is a deadline."

So no. It was just Riley being a hardass, and more importantly getting a story out there about what a hardass he is.

It works for Riley's teams.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Quote:
is a deadline."

Where, in LA? I doubt anyone was in that good of shape here. His bataan death march practice sessions before the 1988 Finals basically torpedoed that season. And his perfectly conditioned Knicks and Heat teams (where Riley really honed his craft as a tough guy), nothing achieved of note. Ironically it took acquiring a total fat ass in Shaq for him to get his first post-LA ring.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Quote:
is a deadline."

Where, in LA? I doubt anyone was in that good of shape here. His bataan death march practice sessions before the 1988 Finals basically torpedoed that season. And his perfectly conditioned Knicks and Heat teams (where Riley really honed his craft as a tough guy), nothing achieved of note. Ironically it took acquiring a total fat ass in Shaq for him to get his first post-LA ring.

He acquired a fat Shaq and got him to lose 30 lbs and won a ring with him. Then he got Wade, Bron, Bosh to be in the best shape of their careers and went to 4 straight finals and 2 rings using his training regimen.

I know it's the cool thing on LG right now to down grade the former Laker greats but you cannot say Riley hasn't been successful at what he does.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Quote:
is a deadline."

He acquired a fat Shaq and got him to lose 30 lbs and won a ring with him. Then he got Wade, Bron, Bosh to be in the best shape of their careers and went to 4 straight finals and 2 rings using his training regimen.

I know it's the cool thing on LG right now to down grade the former Laker greats but you cannot say Riley hasn't been successful at what he does.

I never said that, just that conditioning isn't the prime factor for it.

Do the Heat even still have a body fat percentage threshold?
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Quote:
is a deadline."

Being in optimal shape is a huge factor in sports. I'm not sure how so many of you believe differently.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Quote:
is a deadline."

Being in optimal shape is a huge factor in sports. I'm not sure how so many of you believe differently.

Let's ask Thomas Robinson when he's looking for another job in a couple months.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Lol at its pretty easy to get to 10% body fat.

10% when you're in your early 20's and a pro athlete SHOULD be easy. The only reason it's not is if you lack the will power to train, eat and drink properly. Once you hit late 30's it gets much harder as your metabolism slows down and testosterone levels drop.

These guys have trainers and work out enough to get to 10% easily. If they can't get to 10 or below then it's because they're out partying and/or putting trash in their bodies. Big men/Centers are in a different category.

If you're getting paid to be in the best physical shape of your life, it really shouldn't be that hard. I have a rich friend who has a full time chef at his house for about $75K a year. For these guys making millions that's a small expense to pay for your livelihood. I'm sure they're paying all cash for cars that cost 4 or 5 times that. Or in the VIP room. Or for that big bday bash in Vegas. Or for a night out with a Kardashian. Or that new Audemar Piguet timepiece.

Truth be told, it doesn't take a gourmet chef to get fit. They just need to live off ground turkey, white meat chicken, brown rice or quinoa, and whatever green they like (broccoli, brussel sprouts, asparagus, whatever). Egg whites and oatmeal for breakfast. If they kept up their training and lived off that over the summer, they'd have no issues at all coming into camp at single digit BF%. Remember, they have free time ALL DAY in the offseason. For regular, 9 to 5 working people, it seems hard. For a pro athlete whose job it is to be as fit as possible, it's the life they chose.

It's funny that we marvel over Olympic athletes and all the sacrifices they make to be the best at their craft while making peanuts to do it, but then we have these multi-millionaires on guaranteed contracts and we feel sorry for them for having to eat and train properly. Forget being the best at what they do, we're all getting upset that they just have to be FIT! It's unbelievable. I wonder if there would be this uproar if Luke Walton said it instead of Magic.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

10% when you're in your early 20's and a pro athlete SHOULD be easy. The only reason it's not is if you lack the will power to train, eat and drink properly. Once you hit late 30's it gets much harder as your metabolism slows down and testosterone levels drop.

These guys have trainers and work out enough to get to 10% easily. If they can't get to 10 or below then it's because they're out partying and/or putting trash in their bodies. Big men/Centers are in a different category.

If you're getting paid to be in the best physical shape of your life, it really shouldn't be that hard. I have a rich friend who has a full time chef at his house for about $75K a year. For these guys making millions that's a small expense to pay for your livelihood. I'm sure they're paying all cash for cars that cost 4 or 5 times that. Or in the VIP room. Or for that big bday bash in Vegas. Or for a night out with a Kardashian. Or that new Audemar Piguet timepiece.

Truth be told, it doesn't take a gourmet chef to get fit. They just need to live off ground turkey, white meat chicken, brown rice or quinoa, and whatever green they like (broccoli, brussel sprouts, asparagus, whatever). Egg whites and oatmeal for breakfast. If they kept up their training and lived off that over the summer, they'd have no issues at all coming into camp at single digit BF%. Remember, they have free time ALL DAY in the offseason. For regular, 9 to 5 working people, it seems hard. For a pro athlete whose job it is to be as fit as possible, it's the life they chose.

It's funny that we marvel over Olympic athletes and all the sacrifices they make to be the best at their craft while making peanuts to do it, but then we have these multi-millionaires on guaranteed contracts and we feel sorry for them for having to eat and train properly. Forget being the best at what they do, we're all getting upset that they just have to be FIT! It's unbelievable. I wonder if there would be this uproar if Luke Walton said it instead of Magic.

Don't these players literally eat Carl's Jr in the locker room before going out on the floor. I swear I remember a Phil-era story where a Laker would do that for his pre-game dinner.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Quote:
is a deadline."

Let's ask Thomas Robinson when he's looking for another job in a couple months.
No one said ONLY great condition will make a good to great nba player. We know its about skill too. How many times have we watched Raymond Felton come into the season FAT and out of shape only to either get injured a lot or to look like a shell of himself? Then when he is in great shape. all of a sudden he's looking like a real life nba starting PG thats hard to deal with?

Baron davis. another fat boy that got in shape and couldn't be guarded. but when he was fat baron. the knee issues came back more often, the back problems came back more often. he was slower, wasnt as efficient, etc, etc. defense was suspect.

westbrook is in GREAT condition + his skill+ mindset = mr triple double machine.

Harden in so so shape was a solid 4th guy on a championship roster.
Harden in tip top shape is a top 3 MVP candidate.

Fat Kobe..... There's no such thing as fat kobe.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

Tell em ziggy.
In my early 20's playing basketball all the time. with a part time job, full time school. I was still in the single digit body fat category with EASE> and i ate like crap. pizza and nonsense all the time. And i rarely hit the gym or hit the weights regularly. Now i did do my pushups, situps, calf raises, stretching, and road my bike a bit. I never had a weight problem back in those days with all that basketball being played. these guys are not going hard in practice and they are not taking up extra sessions.
dj1337
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

Tell em ziggy.
In my early 20's playing basketball all the time. with a part time job, full time school. I was still in the single digit body fat category with EASE> and i ate like crap. pizza and nonsense all the time. And i rarely hit the gym or hit the weights regularly. Now i did do my pushups, situps, calf raises, stretching, and road my bike a bit. I never had a weight problem back in those days with all that basketball being played. these guys are not going hard in practice and they are not taking up extra sessions.

Hello corey brewer lol jk, some peoples bodys just cant gain weight even if they eat like crap, some of it is genetics, consider yourself lucky lol. Others have to workout hardcore to maintain single digits.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject:

does paul george have 8% body fat

can he get there by 2019
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Is this the interview that this thread is referencing: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uHsKadrV83Y

Nothing wrong with what Magic said. I was a little concerned when he said that 'our boss Jeanie wants to win now' but he back tracked a little saying in a couple years. Putting out there that management wants to see players aggressively trying to improve isn't a bad thing.
Dylandogg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject:

The issue I have is not with Magic wanting to have his players in the best possible shape. The issue I have is the metric he has chosen to determine that. 10 to 12% is excellent numbers for an NBA player. Getting below that may not improve his cardio or his strength. in fact, it may have a detrimental effect.

He should use a different metric, (VO2 max, 1 minute mile time, etc). Not BF%.

I am upset that Magic is spouting this ignorant view of BF%, and possibly giving players a goal to achieve that may be counter productive to their success.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject:

yeah I remember that Heat season...

Last edited by MJST on Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:20 pm; edited 4 times in total
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject:

dj1337 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

Tell em ziggy.

Hello corey brewer lol jk, some peoples bodys just cant gain weight even if they eat like crap, some of it is genetics, consider yourself lucky lol. Others have to workout hardcore to maintain single digits.

remember i said in my EARLY 20's. dont ask me what the 6 pack is looking like today. lol.

My point is, most Athletes between 15 and 25 dont have an issue with weight if they playing ball all the time and working out. assuming we're not talking about guys who are naturally 230+ at 6'8+. we're talking Pg's, SG's, SF's. these guys have ZERO excuses to be fat boys, chubby status or anything of that ilk. Any doeboy guy i knew that played ball with/against me in that age group was that way because he did not play nearly as hard as he COULD/SHOULD have when we played. That is a fact. now i'm not saying we all have the same metabolism. we dont. but we're kids. STOP IT. you aint supposed to be a fat boy at that age playing ball all the time. its virtually impossible. UNLESS you're going half speed during practice/workouts. and thats on you.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Quote:
is a deadline."

That was the year the defending champion Heat were swept by the Bulls in the first round and dropped to 44 wins after winning 52 the previous year.... so..... that didn't work out for them.

The year he decided to do this, the defending champ Heat won 44 games, down from the 52 games they'd won the year prior, were plagued by injuries and were swept in the First Round by the Chicago Bulls 0-4.

That year was also the start of Dwyane Wade's injury problems. His shoulder which caused nerve damage. and then his knee which happened on a dunk which has plagued him for the rest of his career since.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject:

I think it's good for such a young team.

A lot of these guys are getting a lot of shine on a top3 WORST team in the league.

If they dont work like there are 2 allstars and 4 other solid starters in front of them with advantages over them both in experience and physically; then they're not going very far.

This is also just magic's "decree". I'm sure he has his training staff following up by saying "there's 2 ways to get there and i'm pretty sure magic wants you to lift weights you can't currently lift. Not become an Olympic marathon runner."
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

9% is poor conditioning?

Well, you may have a point, but some things Shaq was that those two weren't was 25 points and 10 boards and all the brute force you want against the opponents' front line.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 14 of 17
Jump to: