Official MAGINKA Front Office Thread (Ignored coaching staff's pleas to re-sign Brook Lopez and Randle pg. 145)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 172, 173, 174  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZenMaster4President
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject:

What in the flying (bleep) are you talking about?

Your president of basketball operations just went on the super-popular TV show and talked about a player on a different team... Even if he was all "I can't do it, wink wink" and laughed.

That's tampering and it just shows how little FO brains that dude has...
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
The anti-Magic contingent is strong here

I prefer to think of it as the "anti-saying stupid stuff in public" contingent.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject:

I thought Magic's comments about PG were funny, actually.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

Yes, better to do nothing and get punked like Kupchak every summer.
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
nash wrote:

Exactly.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
that was a great interview, the Lakers are open for business. Maybe Paul George would like say... 2 of the greatest players ever to mentor him? Who knows?

wow, sorry I don't meet your view of "how the world works". Magic was engaging, funny, upbeat... whereas Mitch always looked like he was in a severe depression. You think guys are going to come here for "basketball reasons"?

indeed...

As long as people are entertained who cares about the team. Do you think Magic is going to talk a star player into coming to a lottery team? Hasn't happened yet and the Lakers still had Kobe then. Build an up and coming talented team that annually increases the win total and you don't have to try as hard selling them to FAs.

If I'm "a" free agent, it doesn't have to be a star, it could be the equivalent of us trying to get another Rick Fox type and as a free agent, I'm really torn about about this or that situation and Mitch is sitting there like a bump on a log and I'm wondering, how hard is this guy going to work to make the team better? He's not enthusiastic, he doesn't really appear to be excited that I'm there. Frankly, he doesn't look happy to be there, like he'd rather be doing something else. Absolutely that plays a part. Look at DeAndre Jordan, one person is leading him by the ear to Dallas, then Chris Paul comes and tells DeAndre he really doesn't hate him, DeAndre says, oh, ok... back to the Clippers. One powerful personality just might make a difference.

Before the "LOL's" begin, it's not a guarantee somebody signs, but I'd rather have Magic in the room than Mitch. Magic can pre-sell and Luke has an opportunity to close and to tell the free agent the front office is hell bent on getting us back. Would anybody have believed that if Mitch was still here?

My point is that Magic has been in that room and wasn't able to sell the Lakers. I put that more on being a lottery team than on Magic. If they stand pat and win 35-37 next season, it becomes a much easier sell.

lol so not true. its totally different when your own head in on chopping block.

magic was never in that room to sell the lakers. just keep the facts straight.

He was, I guess facts aren't your friend.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Well, Mitch's poker ways didn't work, so why not. As long as the current regime is sending messages via birds to Paul George telling him the best plan is to come here in the summer of 18' so he doesn't compromise the strength of his supporting cast by a trade, in which Bird will ask for the sun and moon because there is no way Bird is going to let Magic come out the winner in a deal.

I hope Rob and Magic will contain themselves and control that urge to make a splash because they could set us back for years.

Or they could make a good trade that springs the team forward.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:

I am surprised at the anti-Magic sentiment around here in general. Mitch takes the brunt of a lot of things but we can't forget Jim sitting in the corner with that stupid baseball cap on.

Again, if I'm a free agent and I walk into the room and you've got Mitch sitting there looking like somebody just shot his dog and some mid-55 year old idiot with a baseball cap and long hair protruding out the back is telling me he's the owner... I'm sorry... I'm not really listening to what you're saying, I'm just not getting a good vibe. Now, if I'm a 2nd tier free agent like Moz and Deng and you idiots are going to throw extra money and years at me that nobody else is offering, I'll pretend to be interested...
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Well, Mitch's poker ways didn't work, so why not. As long as the current regime is sending messages via birds to Paul George telling him the best plan is to come here in the summer of 18' so he doesn't compromise the strength of his supporting cast by a trade, in which Bird will ask for the sun and moon because there is no way Bird is going to let Magic come out the winner in a deal.

I hope Rob and Magic will contain themselves and control that urge to make a splash because they could set us back for years.

PG is one of the few all stars I feel comfortable trading for because he is a Cali dude that probably grew up a Lakers fan and I don't think we would be trading for him without a clue if he wants to be here.

If we can get him without giving both Russell and Ingram or a top 3 pick with one of them I'm all in for a trade. I'm a firm believer that with someone like Paul George in the roster we are going to attract other free agents.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

PG is one of the few all stars I feel comfortable trading for because he is a Cali dude that probably grew up a Lakers fan and I don't think we would be trading for him without a clue if he wants to be here.

If we can get him without giving both Russell and Ingram or a top 3 pick with one of them I'm all in for a trade. I'm a firm believer that with someone like Paul George in the roster we are going to attract other free agents.

I'm not a big PG13 believer. He had career numbers this year, and if I'm convinced those are his numbers going forward, then I would be pro-trade. But for all his career except for this year, he's not a 46% shooter, he's a low 40's shooter. And even though 23.7 is his career year, it's lightweight compared to other stars with their own teams. So if his scoring isn't dominant, then is he making it up with getting others involved? T-Mac actually said something that I always use now as a barometer for how close a player is to the MJ type, and that's the 25,5,5 club. You have to score at least 25 pts, at least 5 boards and at least 5 aissts. That was the Kobe and T-Mac club for the longest time. Then Lebron joined, and D-Wade also pulled those numbers in his prime. 25-5-5 is a barometer, the minimum for that all around MJ type game. PG13 is a lightweight in the scoring department, and he doesn't even make it up with playmaking because he's never averaged 5 assists, his career is around 3 assists.

He does have some of these nice playoff games every year, which tells me if you have him for 82 games a year, then you can probably see he's a coaster. PG13 is a Robin, so all I'm saying is that we better not accidentally deal away a future Batman for him. Or several future Robins for just one Robin.

I just don't see the need to deal for players who are not good enough to put us over the Warriors. Let the young guys develop together during the Warriors dynasty.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
. PG13 is a Robin, so all I'm saying is that we better not accidentally deal away a future Batman for him. Or several future Robins for just one Robin.

Agreed

That would hurt trading a future Batman for him, but it is not clear at this point even if we have a future Robin.

I would not feel comfortable trading Ingram or #1 pick for him. Ingram because he is still too young and had a few moments last couple of months of the season, but he has to improve a lot next season to keep his status. Julius, Dlo and Nance are improving, but I'm not a huge believer that one day them are going to be a good two way players as PG is.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Yes, better to do nothing and get punked like Kupchak every summer.

It wasn't a binary choice.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
nash wrote:

MAN
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

Oh hey

Jeanie's on a podcast

https://www.uninterrupted.com/watch/tYkUToBi/jeanie-buss-owner-president-of-the-lakers

*shook levels going through the roof*
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
*screams internally*

https://twitter.com/GrantGoldberg/status/855528039735738369

we are at a point where we are going to take seriously what a guy says Jimmy Kimmel live

Whatnot the (bleep) are you talking about? Magic is in charge. What he says matters. You're so desperate to forgive it that you're going to parse it down to which venue he says it to?

Eventually he'll be saying stuff like "but if Mitch or Jim had done that ya'll would be praising them! But Magic did it so ya'll hate!!"

i bet atleast i won't be having any meltdown on LG when they are fired and make page long posts about it. day in and day out

anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Oh hey

Jeanie's on a podcast

https://www.uninterrupted.com/watch/tYkUToBi/jeanie-buss-owner-president-of-the-lakers

have you graduated to shooketh yet tho?
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Oh hey

Jeanie's on a podcast

have you graduated to shooketh yet tho?

July 1st at midnight!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject:

Los Angeles Lakers' 2017 Offseason Blueprint
Quote:
The Lakers could again find themselves near the top of the draft board and in position to potentially land a franchise anchor. Other avenues to stars could open in either free agency or the trade market if L.A.'s revamped front office wants to start with a bang. Finally, there is work on the home front to be done with the players already in place.

It will be a busy summer for new president of basketball operations Magic Johnson and general manager Rob Pelinka. This handy five-step guide will help get them through it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705952-los-angeles-lakers-2017-offseason-blueprint
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Inside the L.A. Lakers' Plans to Restructure Front Office

Quote:
The new leadership team has begun to restructure a franchise that "can't act like we have fallback options [just] because we are the Lakers," according to a person within the organization, speaking to Bleacher Report with the promise of anonymity.

Instead of operating with a single scouting unit, the Lakers will organize into four tiers: college, international, NBA and the NBA Development League (rechristened as the G-League as of the 2017-18 season).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2708356-inside-the-la-lakers-plans-to-re-structure-front-office
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject:

CHAZ!!!!!!!! LOL
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:
CHAZ!!!!!!!! LOL

Quote:
We leave you with an amazing-at-the-time but now otherworldly hilarious quote from Jim Buss about the thinking process behind hiring Chaz (h/t: Roland Lazenby, HoopsHype):

"Evaluating basketball talent is not too difficult," he told Sports Illustrated many years ago. "If you grabbed 10 fans out of a bar and asked them to rate prospects, their opinions would be pretty much identical to those of the pro scouts."

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/5/9/15602184/la-lakers-news-part-ways-with-scout-chaz-osborne-bartender-jim-buss
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject:

Here's to hoping they really have no more need for Chaz's bartending skills with a side of scouting as a sign they truly believe the worst is over.

Bye.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

In case you missed it...

Lakers scout Chaz Osborne no longer works with the team, with what a Lakers spokesperson said is “part of the reorganization of basketball operations.” The Lakers parted ways with Osborne earlier this month. Osborne was known to be close with former Lakers executive vice president of basketball operations Jim Buss, who was fired on February by his sister, Lakers governor Jeanie Buss. – via Los Angeles Daily News
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject:

Summer agenda: Lakers have some young talent, but need to stick to plan

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/summer-agenda-lakers-young-talent-need-stick-plan-182714804.html
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject:

http://www.lakersnation.com/exclusive-byron-scott-on-new-book-lakers-magic-paul-george-ingram-lavar-ball-more/2017/05/11/

Our boy Byron with his thoughts
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Page 9 of 174
Jump to: