ESPN will lay off 100 on-air personalities today
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: ESPN will lay off 100 on-air personalities today

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/espn-will-cut-100-air-personalities-today-123057142.html
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject:

ESPN overpaid for sports rights fees. I don't think all the layoffs will do much as its only a temporary fix. Subscribers are cutting the cord which means they are still on the hook for those billions of dollars they agreed to pay to the MLB, NFL, NBA, etc.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

I know sports fans will always pay for our live events, but it's clear the subscriber fees these companies are getting are insufficient to cover costs while maintaining whatever margins these companies are trying to retain. Makes me wonder whether we are about 10 years away from starting to see cuts in prices for sports rights fees?
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject:

Trent Dilfer is probably the most prominent person that got laid off.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
Makes me wonder whether we are about 10 years away from starting to see cuts in prices for sports rights fees?

I'll be surprised if it takes that long.

ESPN over-expanded. They have way too many talking heads for their programming. No offense to any of these people, but is anyone going to notice that they're gone?

http://deadspin.com/a-running-list-of-espn-layoffs-1794664091
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Ah, the culling.

Did Screaming A go, because he does need to go! How do you ever talk to a player the way he did about KD and still keep a job?!

Did Momo survive the onslaught, or did she get caught up in this mess?

What about LG's own LC? I know its not his main gig.

Just curious.

That sucks for those that were actually laid off, don't wish layoffs on anyone (except SAS if he were).

Bye.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject:

some i really liked

Jaymee Sire,
Jay Crawford
Doug Padilla
Ed Werder

Disappointed that they are reducing Hannah Storm (Shes one of my favorites from the NBC days

most of them will land on FOX or NBC i would say, ESPN dumpees always land somewhere, but ESPN is where i liked seeing them the most

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!

Last edited by DrWolf on Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Suck for the people that lost their jobs.

ESPN has been lacking in quality for a long time though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject:

I have two nephews working at ESPN Bristol. One is a producer the other a sports editor. I don't think their jobs are in jeopardy, at least that's what they tell me.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Suck for the people that lost their jobs.

ESPN has been lacking in quality for a long time though.

They pretty much focused their sports coverage on tennis, golf, basketball, baseball, football, and soccer now, The probably have a less diverse range of sports coverage than 10 years ago because they went all in to paying billions of dollars to the major leagues like NBA, MLB, NFL, etc. Most of those people that got laid off will probably end up on FOX, CBS or NBC sports channels as they have been trying to build up their ESPN competitors.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject:

get that piece of turd Marcellus off the air.... clipper loving band wagoner
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
get that piece of turd Marcellus off the air.... clipper loving band wagoner

this bum is worse than Wilbon. seems like a corporate shill
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lakez34 wrote:
Makes me wonder whether we are about 10 years away from starting to see cuts in prices for sports rights fees?

ESPN over-expanded. They have way too many talking heads for their programming. No offense to any of these people, but is anyone going to notice that they're gone?

Definitely agree with you on the over-expansion in terms of talent. I just figured 10 years because many of these sports rights contracts are long-running 5-7 year deals.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

Definitely agree with you on the over-expansion in terms of talent. I just figured 10 years because many of these sports rights contracts are long-running 5-7 year deals.

I think the on air personalities become over inflated, and instead of being an accessory, they became the show.

As for losing money regarding tv contracts, I don't know about that from the perspective of the sports league. Amazon is distributing Thursday night football games starting this upcoming season, a preview of where TV sports might end up going forward.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
lakez34 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

I think the on air personalities become over inflated, and instead of being an accessory, they became the show.

As for losing money regarding tv contracts, I don't know about that from the perspective of the sports league. Amazon is distributing Thursday night football games starting this upcoming season, a preview of where TV sports might end up going forward.

The leagues don't lose money from TV contracts. Its the networks when they overpay for it...as far as I know Amazon is using it as a loss leader to sell Amazon Prime subscriptions.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
What about LG's own LC? I know its not his main gig.

Nah, I'm fine, but thanks for asking. I'm so far down on their radar, I'm actually one of the most cost effective guys they've got.

But I did lose three really good colleagues & friends today in Calvin Watkins, Ethan Strauss & Justin Verrier. Justin edited some of my work, and I just saw him & talked to him last night -- sat next to him at Doc's postgame press conference.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Frank The Tank
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

By laying off these talking heads, how much is ESPN saving? Millions of dollars? Tens of millions of dollars?

But, when ESPN pays 1.6 billion dollars a year for NFL rights, people were second guessing the deal and saying that ESPN's bid was 500 million dollars more than the second highest bid.

The number of ESPN subscribers peaked more than five years ago, and its been dropping and dropping every year as people cut the cord and people get cable packages without ESPN.

And, as audience subscribers declined, ESPN overpaid for the rights to football and basketball. About five years ago, ESPN had to pay a few billion dollars for sports rights. Now, it has to pay double that amount for those rights.

If I'm a sports owner, I'd consider how ESPN's decline will affect my team and whether or not to sell now.

Right now, ESPN is locked in with those contracts and pays billions for those rights so the only way to cut costs is do these layoffs. But, after those contracts expire, ESPN will cut costs and save a lot more money by paying much less for those rights.

Last edited by Frank The Tank on Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frank The Tank
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:

The problem is that we've seen what's happened before when advertising shifts from print or tv to internet- you pay a lot less for advertising on the internet than tv or print.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject:

Wow... And a lot of these people are famous. What is the journalism industry like just for normal, every day people working in it?

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject:

Frank The Tank wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

By laying off these talking heads, how much is ESPN saving? Millions of dollars? Tens of millions of dollars?

But, when ESPN pays 1.6 billion dollars a year for NFL rights, people were second guessing the deal and saying that ESPN's bid was 500 million dollars more than the second highest bid.

The number of ESPN subscribers peaked more than five years ago, and its been dropping and dropping every year as people cut the cord and people get cable packages without ESPN.

And, as audience subscribers declined, ESPN overpaid for the rights to football and basketball. About five years ago, ESPN had to pay a few billion dollars for sports rights. Now, it has to pay double that amount for those rights.

If I'm a sports owner, I'd consider how ESPN's decline will affect my team and whether or not to sell now.

Right now, ESPN is locked in with those contracts and pays billions for those rights so the only way to cut costs is do these layoffs. But, after those contracts expire, ESPN isn't going to bid against itself again and will cut costs where they pay less for rights.

The casual sports fan was propping up the bottom line for the networks and sports teams. Those rights fees end up being passed along to the consumer. Right now the casual fan is saying they can do without sports. That is very worrying for both the sports team owners and athletes. My bet is that the salaries are probably at its max right now. This cannot be solved by moving sports properties to another network or a team starting its own network. This is what happens when everyone got too greedy and moved most of their sports tv rights behind a cable tv paywall. Notice there are very few sports still being shown on free tv other than the NFL.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
The casual sports fan was propping up the bottom line for the networks and sports teams. Those rights fees end up being passed along to the consumer. Right now the casual fan is saying they can do without sports. That is very worrying for both the sports team owners and athletes. My bet is that the salaries are probably at its max right now. This cannot be solved by moving sports properties to another network or a team starting its own network. This is what happens when everyone got too greedy and moved most of their sports tv rights behind a cable tv paywall. Notice there are very few sports still being shown on free tv other than the NFL.

I don't know about that. Are overall viewership numbers dropping, when you including streaming and the like? The NFL took a hit, which in my opinion is primarily due to the fantasy football bubble bursting. Otherwise, it's hard to evaluate the numbers because of the rise of streaming. Also, and perhaps more importantly, declining ratings do not necessarily translate to declining advertising revenue, at least on a purely linear basis. Sports advertising is still the best way to reach some key demographics.

Anyway, I think what we are seeing is the reformatting of sports coverage. The challenge is to capture revenue from sports fans. It was one thing when sports fans watched ESPN on TV. It's another thing when a rising number of sports fans get their coverage on their phones, tablets, or whatever. Talking head shows are not going to capture that sort of revenue effectively. And ESPN had way too many talking heads.

I see this as ESPN trying to get back in front of the curve. Is there anyone on the layoff list that you're really going to miss? ESPN will let FoxSports1 invest their money in talking head shows. The talking heads just aren't worth as much as they used to be. Exhibit A is Bill Simmons.

But yes, we appear to be in the midst of a bubble in terms of TV rights. The bubble is due to burst. The leagues know this, which is why they are all working to identify new revenue sources, such as advertising on jerseys. Eventually, there is going to be a shock to the system.
Frank The Tank
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

I would argue it was the non-sports fan that were propping up the bottom line for the networks and sports teams when somebody paid for cable.

The way cable bundles works is that you pay for all those channels, even if you don't watch those channels.

Let's say there's a cable subscriber who doesn't watch FX or ESPN, even though some of the best cable shows are on FX- Justified, Fargo, The Americans, Louie, You're the Worst, etc..

You're paying for both ESPN and FX, channels that you don't watch but you're paying a lot, lot more to not watch ESPN.

ESPN charges, by far, the most for any cable channel. For example, ESPN charges 10X the amount the FX channel charges cable companies.

The cable companies were paying about $80 a year to carry ESPN which meant that the cost got passed to the customer, who was paying $80 a year regardless if they watches ESPN or not.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Frank The Tank wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I would argue it was the non-sports fan that were propping up the bottom line for the networks and sports teams when somebody paid for cable.

The way cable bundles works is that you pay for all those channels, even if you don't watch those channels.

Let's say there's a cable subscriber who doesn't watch FX or ESPN, even though some of the best cable shows are on FX- Justified, Fargo, The Americans, Louie, You're the Worst, etc..

You're paying for both ESPN and FX, channels that you don't watch but you're paying a lot, lot more to not watch ESPN.

ESPN charges, by far, the most for any cable channel. For example, ESPN charges 10X the amount the FX channel charges cable companies.

The cable companies were paying about $80 a year to carry ESPN which meant that the cost got passed to the customer, who was paying $80 a year regardless if they watches ESPN or not.

I would lump in the casual sports with the non-sports fans....they do not catch every game. They might watch a particular game on TV while they are flipping thru channels. They are open to other entertainment options if they feel like the cable company is taking them to the cleaners. The problem for the cable companies is that increased sports rights fees get passed down to the consumer. Which means what was a tv bill which they had no problem paying 50-100 bucks a month in the past now is closer to 150-200 bucks, money which they could utilize toward other items in their budget. This is bad news for the cable companies and subsequently for the tv networks when the consumer decides to explore other tv options with their money.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Frank The Tank wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I would lump in the casual sports with the non-sports fans....they do not catch every game. They might watch a particular game on TV while they are flipping thru channels. They are open to other entertainment options if they feel like the cable company is taking them to the cleaners. The problem for the cable companies is that increased sports rights fees get passed down to the consumer. Which means what was a tv bill which they had no problem paying 50-100 bucks a month in the past now is closer to 150-200 bucks, money which they could utilize toward other items in their budget. This is bad news for the cable companies and subsequently for the tv networks when the consumer decides to explore other tv options with their money.

Hmm. New car payment or billiards on ESPN?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Free agency baby. Fire up the hot stove.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: