Magic Johnson - "We don't want anyone over 7-8% body fat anymore"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
I can't believe people are actually comparing this to Byron. That's just enormous reaching. All of the running Byron made his teams do had no purpose outside of perpetuating a facade that he was some hardcore drill Sargent of Riley's caliber. Well, that along with the fact that he just got off on having authority. It was a cover up. Byron knew he brought nothing to the table as a coach. The players knew it too.

We're not talking about a bunch of senseless running. The obvious, interpretive key in Magic's point was the same one that he and Pelinka have repeated over and over again about establishing a culture where the players are striving for excellence. To compare any of this to Byron's senseless running is just pathetic no matter how much you hate Magic.

Talk about an overreaction. It's a legit comparison. And yes it's fair to note that Byron's was purposeless, as it was noted. No need for the histrionics about a reasonable, if only superficially, comparison.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject:

This thread is sick

Last edited by nash on Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Last two pages have been a fun read (thanks in particular to MJST for all the articles). Very informative and great discussion. So much better than the knee-jerk 'I hate Magic, and as such now hate elite fitness' reactions.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject:

I believe if it's the way the Heat have presented it and go about it, I think it will help the team significantly, as long as it's followed with the same responsibility, so that is the main hope I believe, because it's obviously coming from Riley to Magic, that specificity and it also explains the focus on the number.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject:

I guess it is an old school mentality, but being in better cardiovascular shape than the opponents I believe is a major edge that not enough teams/players today take advantage of.

It takes work and isn't fun. You have to really push yourselves and honestly it usually takes a taskmaster coach (or personal trainer) to really get it done as most guys don't have the Kobe Bryant mindset to do it on their own.

I have no problem with Magic wanting the team in better shape, I think it has been a problem on the Lakers overall for years now.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I guess it is an old school mentality, but being in better cardiovascular shape than the opponents I believe is a major edge that not enough teams/players today take advantage of.

It takes work and isn't fun. You have to really push yourselves and honestly it usually takes a taskmaster coach (or personal trainer) to really get it done as most guys don't have the Kobe Bryant mindset to do it on their own.

I have no problem with Magic wanting the team in better shape, I think it has been a problem on the Lakers overall for years now.

Byron was supposedly that taskmaster coach, and it didn't help us win games at all.

I think everyone can agree that we want the players to be in the best shape possible. But assuming they're not overweight or struggling to play 15-20 quality minutes a game, focusing on skill development and team chemistry (as far as learning offensive and defensive schemes) is most likely a far better use of their time and will contribute more to wins.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
I believe if it's the way the Heat have presented it and go about it, I think it will help the team significantly, as long as it's followed with the same responsibility, so that is the main hope I believe, because it's obviously coming from Riley to Magic, that specificity and it also explains the focus on the number.

The impetus for Riley's obsession with it I think goes back to his Knicks days where the goal was to just physically beat up other teams. Nobody plays that style of ball anymore. Who knows how much of an impact being "cut" is today.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
MJST wrote:

The impetus for Riley's obsession with it I think goes back to his Knicks days where the goal was to just physically beat up other teams. Nobody plays that style of ball anymore. Who knows how much of an impact being "cut" is today.

It's not about being "cut or jacked" It's about being able to run all day long at higher capacity than the opponent. I get that you hate Magic in the FO but elite fitness is something that is necessary for winning. Having more in the tank than the oppoenent is a huge advantage.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Also the Heat's method of getting people in that kind of shape is VERY different to anything Byron did philosophy and execution-wise. You only need to read the articles I posted to know that.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Also the Heat's method of getting people in that kind of shape is VERY different to anything Byron did philosophy and execution-wise. You only need to read the articles I posted to know that.
actually it really isn't that much different. sure they have special trainers working with you on special workouts. which refines the bscott version. but where do you think scott got it from to begin with? its the same regime people.

The basic concept is the same. be in the best shape of your life so at least that's one thing we don't have to worry about. anything else you need is mental work/basketball iq(playbook studying, studying film) and skills stuff.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

if we take an overall outlook of the message, it was mostly for
Deng:14.9%
Moazgov: 13.4%
n young: 13.6%
dj1337
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
MJST wrote:

It's not about being "cut or jacked" It's about being able to run all day long at higher capacity than the opponent. I get that you hate Magic in the FO but elite fitness is something that is necessary for winning. Having more in the tank than the oppoenent is a huge advantage.

But having lower body fat doesn't guarentie you have more left in the tank or can run all day long at higher capacity. If he said, he wants them to be in better shape fine, but putting a specific bodyfat % is useless. Someone with a higher BF % can have just as much in the tank or more than someone with less.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
MJST wrote:
actually it really isn't that much different. sure they have special trainers working with you on special workouts. which refines the bscott version. but where do you think scott got it from to begin with? its the same regime people.

The basic concept is the same. be in the best shape of your life so at least that's one thing we don't have to worry about. anything else you need is mental work/basketball iq(playbook studying, studying film) and skills stuff.

One method is about getting you there fully and keeping the lines of communication both on and off the court and setting goals to strive towards.

The other method is running you to death in practice and asking you to figure out the rest.

There's a very stark difference there.
romeo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject:

magic is not pat riley. i dont know if we need to take the % that seriously. im seeing it in a context of him implying that these young lakers should be a run and gun up tempo team, and that defensively they shouldnt take any plays off and hustle every second theyre on the floor.

and if it is literal, then hes not really asking that much. professional athletes who play a sport thats pretty much high intensity interval training (HIIT); sprinting, jumping, running, shooting, drills, defense, weights. 2-3 games a week during the actual season, plus practices. they burn a lot of calories. THEY JUST NEED TO DIET. which to everyone who has tried to be physically aesthetic and workout, is their downfall.. food
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure it's literal, after reading about what the Miami Heat's training regiment and program among their players are.

They focus on 7-8% body fat as well so that number was intentionally specific. Pat Riley is likely the person that put that in his ear, so he's probably being very literal with it.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject:

dj1337 wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
MJST wrote:

But having lower body fat doesn't guarentie you have more left in the tank or can run all day long at higher capacity. If he said, he wants them to be in better shape fine, but putting a specific bodyfat % is useless. Someone with a higher BF % can have just as much in the tank or more than someone with less.

What's the body fat % of the best marathon runners?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject:

dj1337 wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
MJST wrote:

Depends how they go about it. If they go about it the way the Heat have the past few years, then they'll be covered on both aspects.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject:

This ranks at about a 5.5 on the dumb quotes spewed by a Laker exec scale. Evaluating basketball talent is not too difficult.. If you grabbed 10 fans out of a bar and asked them to rate prospects, their opinions would be pretty much identical to those of the pro scouts remains the gold standard. By far.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject:

16 pages on a bad Magic quote that is taken too seriously, it must be the offseason.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
16 pages on a bad Magic quote that is taken too seriously, it must be the offseason.

Plus 7 more pages on a quote from Reverend Eric Michael Dyson... it's most definitely the offseason
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Read the last page please.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject:

I doubt that Magic said anything on this page telling us that he expects more than the players coming into camp in excellent shape.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I doubt that Magic said anything on this page telling us that he expects more than the players coming into camp in excellent shape.

I mean read the last page and you can see where Magic got the idea from and whom likely is the one that put it in his head and the method of it that's CURRENTLY being used by that individual's team and the benefits of that method.

It's worth the look.
FedericoV
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
dj1337 wrote:

What's the body fat % of the best marathon runners?

Average 7% according to Matt Fitzgerald.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
This thread is sick
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17
Jump to: