Blake Griffin to miss the rest of the Playoffs with injury
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
22 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
I think Griffin might've thrived elsewhere if he played for someone other than the Clippers its where careers go die.

Well that and Portland

THIS

Where? In what system would Blake Griffin thrive?

Danish health care system?

frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
So when is LeBron going to suffer? As a Pacers fan I've been waiting for quite some time now.

Then again Jordan never suffered either.

When the East isn't comprised of the Washington Generals.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Whoever signs him this summer is doing the Amare/Knicks thing all over again. Hope it's not us.

Coach Wooden
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Blake disappears in the 4th quarter and has never been close to an elite defender. Those are big reasons the Clippers always fall short (besides the injuries).

Reddick and Crawford are other guys that can score but don't defend.

San Antonio, OKC and Memphis have really struggled to make it out of the West in recent years so it's no surprise the Clippers would struggle too.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject:

The problem is that the Clippers didn't take advantage of the window when they first got CP3....it was around the time the Warriors were still trying to figure things out. I would say between 2011-2014. They had a very good window in which they could've made deep playoff runs but didn't. They even beat the Warriors in the 1st round in the 2013-2014 season. Now the Warriors are a powerhouse and the Clippers are pretty much an afterthought. I was listening to Roggin on his NBC4 Sports show this weekend and the panel pretty much agreed that the Clippers are an afterthought in this years NBA playoff race. Now in the NBA offseason, the question is do you blow up this team or try to re-assemble them back for another run in which they might not improve. And then the problem is that if the Clippers rebuild, it could pretty much end up being a decades long process...Oh and it doesn't help that CP3 and Blake are free agents so the Clippers could technically lose both of them and they will get nothing for them.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
The problem is that the Clippers didn't take advantage of the window when they first got CP3....it was around the time the Warriors were still trying to figure things out. I would say between 2011-2014. They had a very good window in which they could've made deep playoff runs but didn't. They even beat the Warriors in the 1st round in the 2013-2014 season. Now the Warriors are a powerhouse and the Clippers are pretty much an afterthought. I was listening to Roggin on his NBC4 Sports show this weekend and the panel pretty much agreed that the Clippers are an afterthought in this years NBA playoff race. Now in the NBA offseason, the question is do you blow up this team or try to re-assemble them back for another run in which they might not improve. And then the problem is that if the Clippers rebuild, it could pretty much end up being a decades long process...Oh and it doesn't help that CP3 and Blake are free agents so the Clippers could technically lose both of them and they will get nothing for them.

The Clippers didn't have any other star players when CP3 arrived. Blake was much worse and so was DJ.

I always thought Vinny Del Negro was treated poorly there. They fired him after a 55 win season which was the best year the team ever had, hired Doc Rivers, and Blake improved a lot the next year and they barely improved on that 55 win total. Doc helped DJ improve but again the win total wasn't much better.

I think the Clippers blew some chances to make the conference finals but even if they made it that far they would have had the odds stacked against them. Seems really unlikely IMO that they would have beaten an elite team in the West and then beaten the Lebron team in the East.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

The Clippers didn't have any other star players when CP3 arrived. Blake was much worse and so was DJ.

I always thought Vinny Del Negro was treated poorly there. They fired him after a 55 win season which was the best year the team ever had, hired Doc Rivers, and Blake improved a lot the next year and they barely improved on that 55 win total. Doc helped DJ improve but again the win total wasn't much better.

I think the Clippers blew some chances to make the conference finals but even if they made it that far they would have had the odds stacked against them. Seems really unlikely IMO that they would have beaten an elite team in the West and then beaten the Lebron team in the East.

Still think they would've made it past the 2nd round if they made some better moves in the offseasons they had. Instead they watched as other teams around the conference get better while they struggle to even get home court in the 1st round. I don't feel too bad for them though, kinda laugh at how they got a gift in CP3 and managed to barely no better in the playoffs than the Elton Brand squad nearly a decade ago.
Blargg
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject:

There's a reason why Vinny hasn't been hired to coach anywhere since...though Doc really isn't much better. He totally conned Steve Ballmer.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Blargg wrote:
There's a reason why Vinny hasn't been hired to coach anywhere since...though Doc really isn't much better. He totally conned Steve Ballmer.

To me, Doc is the worst coach in the NBA. Always making excuses will always leave your guys with 'outs'. It really does (bleep) with them mentally, even on a subconscious level. Because of it, they'll never go deep down and power through when it really matters most. That rah rah (bleep) will only get you so far.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

It did sound like the players really disliked Vinny. But that's one reason why I thought he was treated poorly there. Oh well, the guy still made a ton of money there so whatever.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Never had this thought before but I'm curious how the teams would have done if you put CP3 on the Warriors team before Durant got there, and put Curry on the Clipper teams of the past few years.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Stephen A. Smith says the Clippers playoff chances don't change with Blake out....
SlickVic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

It's kind of interesting to think in that 2012-2014 period when the Warriors were starting to get better but still a lower Western conference seed, it was the Clippers who were that big obstacle for them. At the time, it seemed the Clips were standing in their way in terms of winning the Pacific and getting deeper into the playoffs.

Then Kerr came in 2014, the team figured things out, and in 1 season they shot up from a low-tier Western conference playoff team to NBA Champion. In the same time period, the Clippers have essentially stagnated as a middle-of-the-pack Western conference playoff team. Unfortunately for them, even at their peak since the CP3 trade, they were never the best team in their conference, and as close as they've gotten (see 2014 Thunder series and 2015 Rocket series), it's never been enough to get to the WCF.

And yet, this era for the Clippers (2011-present) is still undoubtedly the best the franchise has ever been in their history. If the Clips lose this series, there will be a lot of talk about them needing to blow things up and rebuilding. I'm skeptical that'll happen. This is as good as it's ever gotten for the Clippers. I expect them to run this roster dry to the bone before they relinquish their place in the middle of the Western conference pack.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Glen Davis sheds A LOT of light on the Clippers & Doc/CP3

Much of this is insightful although we could have guessed it before. Good watch/listen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject:

I don't tend to watch SportsNation but I am watching this Clippervention episode and it is pretty funny.

SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
It did sound like the players really disliked Vinny. But that's one reason why I thought he was treated poorly there. Oh well, the guy still made a ton of money there so whatever.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/clippers-paul-did-not-del-162114908--nba.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=ma

Los Angeles Clippers: We Fired Vinny Del Negro, Chris Paul Not A Factor http://www.inquisitr.com/683371/los-angeles-clippers-we-fired-vinny-del-negro-chris-paul-not-a-factor/

Articles say the players wanted Vinnie out at he lost the locker room. Seem the same thing has happened to DOC.

Coach Wooden

Last edited by SpunkieLakerCat on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Much of this is insightful although we could have guessed it before. Good watch/listen.

As much as I hate this dude's guts, it's actually interesting to hear his perspective, since he's probably the closest insider to the Clippers' situation these past few years, given he was on the Clips and his history with Rivers.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Damn this dude said he's 336?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject:

I'm waiting for the day that the door closes on the clippers all clipper free agents move on to different teams and the clippers are circling the bottom of standings again. Like the $hit team they are. Always hated the clippers and I always will especially that troll owner Ballmer
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
22 wrote:

As much as I hate this dude's guts, it's actually interesting to hear his perspective, since he's probably the closest insider to the Clippers' situation these past few years, given he was on the Clips and his history with Rivers.

I felt the exact same way logo!

999 wrote:
I'm waiting for the day that the door closes on the clippers all clipper free agents move on to different teams and the clippers are circling the bottom of standings again. Like the $hit team they are. Always hated the clippers and I always will especially that troll owner Ballmer

That is likely this off season. And the Clippers don't have much in the way of draft picks either. They could become the nets very soon
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: