ESPN will lay off 100 on-air personalities today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank The Tank
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Are overall viewership numbers dropping, when you including streaming and the like? The NFL took a hit, which in my opinion is primarily due to the fantasy football bubble bursting. Otherwise, it's hard to evaluate the numbers because of the rise of streaming.

Yes, viewership is down overall even when you factor in streaming.

And, this viewership will continue to decline when you look at how millennials are less interested and watch less sports than previous generations.

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Anyway, I think what we are seeing is the reformatting of sports coverage. The challenge is to capture revenue from sports fans. It was one thing when sports fans watched ESPN on TV. It's another thing when a rising number of sports fans get their coverage on their phones, tablets, or whatever.

They're already trying to monetize sports fans watching sports on platforms other than TV.

And, tens of millions of dollars from advertising on jerseys isn't going to make up for all the money sports leagues lose when its time to renew contracts.

The problem is that without non sports fans helping to subsidize the costs, sports fans will have to pay a lot more to continue watching those sports that sports networks have already committed billions of dollars to.

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Talking head shows are not going to capture that sort of revenue effectively. And ESPN had way too many talking heads.

I see this as ESPN trying to get back in front of the curve. Is there anyone on the layoff list that you're really going to miss? ESPN will let FoxSports1 invest their money in talking head shows. The talking heads just aren't worth as much as they used to be. Exhibit A is Bill Simmons.

And, yet, that screaming carnival barker, Steven A Smith with his 3.5 million salary is still on air...

I don't know why you are focused on talking head shows, when the people let go weren't on the shouting and talking head shows like Steven A Smith.

Instead, the people let go were reporters, analysts, columnists, beat reporters, and sports journalists. And, two years ago, ESPN laid off hundreds of people that worked behind the cameras.

With who ESPN let go and who they kept, if anything, it seems ESPN is doubling down on personality opinion shows where they debate about sports topics they really don't know what they're talking about.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

Again, there is not a linear relationship between viewership and advertising revenue. The DVR phenomenon has affected the value of live sports programming as an advertising platform.

As for millennials, we shall see. In a number of contexts, I've seen people make all sorts of assumptions about how the latest generation is going to behave. I've been alive long enough to become skeptical of this.

When I refer to talking head shows, I don't mean the drivel like First Take. I mean everything from SportsCenter to BBTN. ESPN has way too many talking heads on those shows. I liked Trent Dilfer, for example, but how many football analysts do you need?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject:

There was a tweet today from RJ Bell that said the US Gaming Association expects Trump to reverse the ban on sports gambling. That might affect viewership.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Like it or not, the next generation is changing what they watch in their free time. They are filling arenas watching e-sports, watching people play video games on twitch. ESPN has been trying to capture this segment but whether or not they can successfully capture this audience remains to be seen. They are less interested in watching traditional sports than watching stuff they have participated in their childhood which is playing video games.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
There was a tweet today from RJ Bell that said the US Gaming Association expects Trump to reverse the ban on sports gambling. That might affect viewership.

Trump couldn't do it himself. I'm not sure how Congress feels about the issue.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Nobody knew sports gambling was so complicated.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

i find it comical that people continue to think that he can actually accomplish anything when all he has done during his 100 days is to prove his ineptitude in regards to getting anything done other than continuously proving what a foolish ass he is.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

i find it comical that people continue to think that he can actually accomplish anything when all he has done during his 100 days is to prove his ineptitude in regards to getting anything done other than continuously proving what a foolish ass he is.

Did you read the quotes from his interview with Reuters today?... misses his old life, thought job would be easier, likes to drive but can't drive this the way he wants. I dare say this guy is going to quit before his term is up!
Frank The Tank
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Again, there is not a linear relationship between viewership and advertising revenue. The DVR phenomenon has affected the value of live sports programming as an advertising platform.

What made ESPN so successful and so profitable was that it had 2 revenue streams from advertising and from cable subscribers.

If there's no cable money and you're only looking at advertising revenue, then that's a big loss for money. If ESPN had to depend only on advertising revenue, then they have a lot less money to go out and buy rights.

One of the reasons ESPN overpaid for rights to football and basketball even as their subscribers were declining was because of the perceived value of live sports in the DVR era as a way to keep viewers loyal to cable.

But, its clear that that didn't work as more and more cut the cord to cable every year. Instead, what happened was that ESPN had to pay so much for those rights which made the cable bill so much higher that more and more people left cable because the bill was too high.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject:

Frank The Tank wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

What made ESPN so successful and so profitable was that it had 2 revenue streams from advertising and from cable subscribers.

If there's no cable money and you're only looking at advertising revenue, then that's a big loss for money. If ESPN had to depend only on advertising revenue, then they have a lot less money to go out and buy rights.

One of the reasons ESPN overpaid for rights to football and basketball even as their subscribers were declining was because of the perceived value of live sports in the DVR era as a way to keep viewers loyal to cable.

But, its clear that that didn't work as more and more cut the cord to cable every year. Instead, what happened was that ESPN had to pay so much for those rights which made the cable bill so much higher that more and more people left cable because the bill was too high.

It's an exaggeration to say that there's no cable money, but sure, the direct cable money is diminished. ESPN is still quite profitable, though not as profitable as it was a few years ago. It may turn out that technological and social changes render cable television in general obsolete. This would not be the first time something like that happened. For now, ESPN is trying to get back ahead of the curve.

It is possible, and perhaps likely, that the next round of TV deals will not show the same rapid growth that we've seen over the last decade. There may even be a reduction, though this remains to be seen. However, by the time we get to that point, technology and social trends will have evolved further. Just the same, we're not seeing any evidence of this so far.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

If anyone can bring back online poker in the US, they have my vote.

That is a platform I can support.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Marc Stein too. Wow
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
Marc Stein too. Wow

That one's a shocker.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
Marc Stein too. Wow

That one's a shocker.

Damn. I really like Marc Stein.

He'll quickly land on his feet.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject:

ESPN’s massive round of layoffs hit familiar faces, including Andy Katz and Britt McHenry

LINK

Well, they didn't fire my nephews, I can still watch, listen, to ESPN. If they'd fired Jemele Hill, Cari Champion, or especially Lisa Salters they would have lost a watcher, listener.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
Marc Stein too. Wow

That one's a shocker.

Yikes!!
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject:

You fire Marc Stein during the NBA playoffs and Ed Werder before the NFL Draft?!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject:

I think ESPN is doing a salary dump.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject:

ESPN basically paid top dollar for the most expensive TV sports rights. There was a time when they didn't have the NFL or NBA tv rights and they did fine. The problem is now they have rights to those events but can't keep the subscribers. They will probably have to let a property or two go the next time the rights are up for bidding.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
@AdamZagoria

Still more basketball fallout coming from ESPN, I'm told.

I saw some twitter speculation of maybe Amin being in danger. It is sad so many are losing their jobs. Stein being fired was a shocker to me.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Also I remember when Woj tweeted this to Amin years ago.
Quote:
@WojVerticalNBA
@AminESPN You have 75 guys there. You really should break every story. I'd be more worried about that than me.

If the rumors are true of ESPN hiring Woj. The joke of ESPN firing 75 people to hire Woj is too easy to make.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject:

If you want to know why ESPN is in bad shape, this article pretty much explains how much they paid for NFL rights...
http://decider.com/2017/03/30/espn-nfl-hbo-game-of-thrones/

Last edited by lakersken80 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Chad Ford is gone too.... so is David Thorpe and Henry Abbot. Stein should join Simmons.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Chad Ford is gone too.... so is David Thorpe and Henry Abbot. Stein should join Simmons.

It's a bloodbath. What's even left? Box scores and Stephen A?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

It's a bloodbath. What's even left? Box scores and Stephen A?

SAS is safe. He just signed a new contract waging him between 3.1 and 3.5 million per.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: