ESPN will lay off 100 on-air personalities today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject:

You guys laugh, but First Take is probably one of the few shows with talking heads that gets ratings...Without SAS, nobody will watch that show.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
You guys laugh, but First Take is probably one of the few shows with talking heads that gets ratings...Without SAS, nobody will watch that show.

I don't doubt that. Just what's going to be left?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

SAS's personality is his shtick. I've often wondered why he's allowed to be so outspoken relating to race. I guess TPTB think it keeps rating high.

A lot of people don't like him, a lot do. 3.1 to 3.5 per going to the bank. I can't knock it.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Chad Ford. Dude was terrible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Henry Abbot

Hope this mope keeps falling through the cracks until he ends up in the shadow realm.
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

Now that kobe is retired Henry Abbott had nothing to write about anyway.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject:

when BSPn stopepd showing sports and started being foxnews/CNBC tryin to give opinions it went downhill. Karma
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
when BSPn stopepd showing sports and started being foxnews/CNBC tryin to give opinions it went downhill. Karma

Them charging the carriers almost 8 bucks to carry their channel is a big reason why our cable bills are as high as they are. I have no doubt it will go even higher as the last years of their sports rights fees are even higher.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

Cochese wrote:
Now that kobe is retired Henry Abbott had nothing to write about anyway.

I have no doubt in my mind he submitted his annual "Kobe is the least clutch player in the NBA" piece this year even though he's retired.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject:

I barely ever watch ESPN anymore unless it's a game. What do they do well? What is one area of sports coverage that ESPN nails? I'm referring to their tv product. Their site has some positives. It just seems like every time I look at ESPN it's 2 or more severely irritating peoplr screaming at each other over some hot take nonsense. Even their highlights are super short and tell you nothing about the game. They show 2 dunks and that's it.

They don't break down sports. They don't educate or illuminate. They don't analyze. They turn everything into a human interest story and yell at me about it. Before the internet I guess they could slide, but there are just better avenues for worthy sports content online. Their answer, oddly enough, seems to be getting rid of any remaining journalists and columnists that don't yell on tv.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Chad Ford is gone too.... so is David Thorpe and Henry Abbot. Stein should join Simmons.

Wow! 3 notorious Kobe haters cut off at the knees.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ESPN basically paid top dollar for the most expensive TV sports rights. There was a time when they didn't have the NFL or NBA tv rights and they did fine. The problem is now they have rights to those events but can't keep the subscribers. They will probably have to let a property or two go the next time the rights are up for bidding.

If not for those rights I wouldn't watch the channel, I only tune in for games. With MLBTV, NBATV and the NFL channel I have no use for ESPN highlights.
Frank The Tank
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ESPN is still quite profitable, though not as profitable as it was a few years ago. It may turn out that technological and social changes render cable television in general obsolete. This would not be the first time something like that happened. For now, ESPN is trying to get back ahead of the curve.

How is ESPN trying to get ahead of the curve with these layoffs?

ESPN's problem is that they overpaid for rights as their subscribers keep on falling.

The looming threat is that the cable bundle is very good for ESPN, where cable viewers pay $8 a month for ESPN as part of their basic package regardless or not if they watch ESPN. But, more and more people are cutting the cord.

If ESPN became a standalone channel without non-sports cable subscribers paying for it, then its going to cost almost $40 a month.

I don't see how laying off 100 reporters, columnists, etc.. to save millions or tens of millions of dollars, solves that.
Frank The Tank
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
If you want to know why ESPN is in bad shape, this article pretty much explains how much they paid for NFL rights...
http://decider.com/2017/03/30/espn-nfl-hbo-game-of-thrones/

Since we're talking about spending bubbles, Netflix also deserves mention for the way its spending on its original programing.

Netflix spent around 80 million a season for bloodline, 120 million for get down, 90 million for marco polo, etc..
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Frank The Tank wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
If you want to know why ESPN is in bad shape, this article pretty much explains how much they paid for NFL rights...
http://decider.com/2017/03/30/espn-nfl-hbo-game-of-thrones/

Since we're talking about spending bubbles, Netflix also deserves mention for the way its spending on its original programing.

Netflix spent around 80 million a season for bloodline, 120 million for get down, 90 million for marco polo, etc..

Unless there's a massive shift in the way millenials and the generation after digests content (which is possible), I think Netflix will be fine for the foreseeable future. That's almost a drop in the bucket given that their revenue is on pace to eclipse $10B this year alone.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I barely ever watch ESPN anymore unless it's a game. What do they do well? What is one area of sports coverage that ESPN nails? I'm referring to their tv product. Their site has some positives. It just seems like every time I look at ESPN it's 2 or more severely irritating peoplr screaming at each other over some hot take nonsense. Even their highlights are super short and tell you nothing about the game. They show 2 dunks and that's it.

They don't break down sports. They don't educate or illuminate. They don't analyze. They turn everything into a human interest story and yell at me about it. Before the internet I guess they could slide, but there are just better avenues for worthy sports content online. Their answer, oddly enough, seems to be getting rid of any remaining journalists and columnists that don't yell on tv.

I agree, though I wonder if that's the formula they arrived at via the usual market research tools (surveys, panels, etc.). In other words, maybe they're serving up (bleep) because all the studies show a public appetite for (bleep).

Perhaps there's been a fragmentation of the audience? Think about how the intellectual curious audience has the Internet, and is active in its search for anything illuminating. Then think about the vast segment that is best characterized by Homer Simpson; they open a beer, flick on the TV and demand to be passively entertained. That best contrasts the television component of ESPN which is truly (bleep), and the online component of ESPN, which has some very positive elements.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject:

It's a good thing BSPN finally realized that hiring token idiots by the dozen was perhaps inefficient (RIP Dr. Henry Abbott). Looks like their army of scholarly constituents will be looking for new avenues to diffuse their misinformation. Good riddance.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Not sure about everyone who was fired, but I think it's safe to say the top guys (Stein, Ford, Werder, etc.) will get other jobs really quickly.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Frank The Tank wrote:

ESPN's problem is that they overpaid for rights as their subscribers keep on falling.

The looming threat is that the cable bundle is very good for ESPN, where cable viewers pay $8 a month for ESPN as part of their basic package regardless or not if they watch ESPN. But, more and more people are cutting the cord.

If ESPN became a standalone channel without non-sports cable subscribers paying for it, then its going to cost almost $40 a month.

I don't see how laying off 100 reporters, columnists, etc.. to save millions or tens of millions of dollars, solves that.

ESPN is shifting its focus toward digital content. You're looking at it from a static, short-term perspective. Cable sports in general is in decline, not just ESPN. This isn't about turning the clock back to 2010. ESPN is trying to look forward. Whether they succeed remains to be seen.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Frank The Tank wrote:

ESPN is shifting its focus toward digital content. You're looking at it from a static, short-term perspective. Cable sports in general is in decline, not just ESPN. This isn't about turning the clock back to 2010. ESPN is trying to look forward. Whether they succeed remains to be seen.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-04-28/espn-can-t-afford-to-go-on-like-this

Good read on the situation. This has been coming for awhile now, which is also why it was a little funny when Scott Van Pelt was pissed about this months ago.

http://deadspin.com/espn-is-hemorrhaging-subscribers-and-pretending-it-does-1788618362
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-04-28/espn-can-t-afford-to-go-on-like-this

Good read on the situation. This has been coming for awhile now, which is also why it was a little funny when Scott Van Pelt was pissed about this months ago.

http://deadspin.com/espn-is-hemorrhaging-subscribers-and-pretending-it-does-1788618362

Yes, you can certainly make a case that ESPN was too slow to react to the changes in the market. The catch is that none of us really know where the market is going to be in 5 years. We have opinions, of course, but we're just guessing. ESPN appears to have come to some sort of decision, because they're jettisoning a lot of reporters and bloggers. I would speculate that they've concluded that it isn't profitable to compete with the blogosphere and all of the grassroots reporters.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Okay, so now the word is that Woj and the others from The Vertical are going to ESPN. I guess that explains Abbott, Stein, and Ford.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject:

ESPN overpaid for media rights, especially their NFL contract....Monday Night games are usually behind Thursday Night as the worst games. But that contract was much more expensive than the one that is paid by NBC which usually gets the best games on Sunday Night Football. Those contracts are rock solid, and the thing that could be cut were the employees. My guess is they are hoping the young talent that they get thru the Bristol campus will be ample enough to replace the talent they had to let go.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Yep. The only shows worth a damn on that network are Baseball Tonight and NFL Live. Those are the only two that will actually try to inform you.

SportsCenter these days is just highlight videos with literally two highlights that may or may not have had any bearing on the outcome of the game, overdubbed by an anchor screaming some nonsense, all with some human interest stories sprinkled in between. First Take, PTI, Around the Horn, are all really dated, and consist of pretty much nothing other than hot take BS. Hell, even their pre/post game shows are ass compared to Inside the NBA, or Fox's NFL pre-game show.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

ESPN also lost filler programming when Fox, CBS and NBC all came up with their own sports networks as well. You know those sports like bowling, pool, motocross that they could put in the daytime and also cheap to broadcast. They then had to put sports talk programming to substitute for that. More competition+less sports programming=more expensive to operate a sports channel.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: