LaVar Ball (Lonzo Ball's father)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
When Lavar has a stellar college career averaging 2.2 points, I think white, brown, black, asian, pretty much any person across all races have run circles around him playing the game of basketball....
that wasnt his only college stats just to be fair.

i know thats the running joke. but if we're going to talk bad about the guy lets tell the whole truth.

You are right...those are only his stats from his season from Washington State....a Division I school, I can't imagine how bad his stats were from Division II Cal State LA....
we can joke. but he did have double digit numbers playing for another school. they finally pulled it up on espn or some other show after they clowned him for the 2.2 points. that shows you how the media tries to manipulate or control the narrative. they basically were saying since you are saying you could be jordan/chuck. then when we found you had 2.2 we are willing to show that stat and not the stat where you averaged double digits playing for another school. even though that aint chuck B or jordan numbers and those two would still demolish him in their prime(which he never said they wouldnt). but the media at first didnt want to show that. because that wasnt extreme enough. lol. in addition he played semi pro football and was on i believe two nfl teams in some capacity.

this means out of all of the basketball/football players in the US and the world. he has reached higher levels than 90% of them. all jokes aside. lavar ball was a better athlete/player of some sport over most of us. lets just be real about it. So when he talks loud about beating a even better set of players in a better league. you say he doesnt have the right to talk. but do YOU? Nope. most of LG haven't seen the inside of a college gym unless as fans. same with most fans made at lavar. MOST of them have never reached high school JV let alone Varsity, let alone College D-II or D-1 playing any sport.

i've tried to explain this in another thread. you have to understand the ball family has a history of athletes. he has two other twin bros who were also very good high school ballers playing for westchester high school. i know one ended up playing for cal state L.A not sure about the other one. but neither of them loved the game like that. they were just BIg guys who had skill but wasnt serious about the game. his sons are serious about the game at least for now.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject:

It's a little early in the process to ring in that LaVar is hurting or helping Lonzo's early career net worth, compared to what agents typically btain in a more conventional personal services contract with one of the bigs.

What's unusual about the vision and the process so far is a two part complication.

First, LaVar Ball's stipulation that the BBB brand (his brand) be a partnership in the product design, production, marketing plan, and distribution deals is unusual to say the least. There's not been any agent in US sports history who's had the leverage to have been able to obtain that type of deal for his client before the player plays a moment of pro sports. OK, maybe LaVar will be the first but I doubt it.

Second, LaVar Ball is selling his vision for BBB using his three sons as a package deal right now, again with very little clout to guarantee his potential partners that his three sons can deliver on contract performance let alone provide commitment from sons #2 and #3. Industry giants such as Adidas would tend to price the BBB brand deal pretty low based on these risks.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
I like iconoclastic people, but I think LaVar Ball is an idiot. I respect the what, but not the how. It's one thing to do what Richard Williams did with a couple of dominant children in an individual sport, and quite another to do it in the NBA.
sure. but is it impossible to pull it off in the nba? we shall see. what other parent has 3 balling kids at the top of their games? non that i know of. at least not yet. not that we've heard of. aside from these ball bros. so give him his credit thus far. right now he's done it right. lets see if the other 2 can survive college. one and done or 4 year graduates. lets see if they can make it to the league along with the big brother and still ball out. lets see if lonzo can be himself in the nba and elevate his nba team. i can't assume these things WONT happen. because all we have right now is stats that show they probably will since these kids are really really good at basketball at this point in their careers. anyone doubting them is doing so in their feelings not using actual proof. get out of your feelings and wait and see.

I'll be surprised if either of the other kids are significant pro prospects. LiAngelo's only going to UCLA because he was part of a package deal with his brothers, and LaMelo is in the 15-20 range in the '19 class. They aren't Venus & Serena.

LaMelo's opportunity to boost his rep will come on the AAU circuit this Spring & Summer. That's a lot more important than the High School games.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
When Lavar has a stellar college career averaging 2.2 points, I think white, brown, black, asian, pretty much any person across all races have run circles around him playing the game of basketball....

i know thats the running joke. but if we're going to talk bad about the guy lets tell the whole truth.

You are right...those are only his stats from his season from Washington State....a Division I school, I can't imagine how bad his stats were from Division II Cal State LA....
we can joke. but he did have double digit numbers playing for another school. they finally pulled it up on espn or some other show after they clowned him for the 2.2 points. that shows you how the media tries to manipulate or control the narrative. they basically were saying since you are saying you could be jordan/chuck. then when we found you had 2.2 we are willing to show that stat and not the stat where you averaged double digits playing for another school. even though that aint chuck B or jordan numbers and those two would still demolish him in their prime(which he never said they wouldnt). but the media at first didnt want to show that. because that wasnt extreme enough. lol. in addition he played semi pro football and was on i believe two nfl teams in some capacity.

this means out of all of the basketball/football players in the US and the world. he has reached higher levels than 90% of them. all jokes aside. lavar ball was a better athlete/player of some sport over most of us. lets just be real about it. So when he talks loud about beating a even better set of players in a better league. you say he doesnt have the right to talk. but do YOU? Nope. most of LG haven't seen the inside of a college gym unless as fans. same with most fans made at lavar. MOST of them have never reached high school JV let alone Varsity, let alone College D-II or D-1 playing any sport.

i've tried to explain this in another thread. you have to understand the ball family has a history of athletes. he has two other twin bros who were also very good high school ballers playing for westchester high school. i know one ended up playing for cal state L.A not sure about the other one. but neither of them loved the game like that. they were just BIg guys who had skill but wasnt serious about the game. his sons are serious about the game at least for now.

They clowned him because he had the audacity to make the claim that he was better than MJ or Chuck. Somebody who never made it to the NBA is going to say they are better than 2 of the all time greats in the game?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

They clowned him because he had the audacity to make the claim that he was better than MJ or Chuck. Somebody who never made it to the NBA is going to say they are better than 2 of the all time greats in the game?
see this is the part i'm talking about. he never said "I'm better than jordan and charles in their prime in my(lavar) prime."

that was never stated at all. what he said was he could beat both of them TODAY in their old men states. we know chuck is well beyond his playing days and out of shape as out of shape can get. lavar ball aint in the best of shape. but for his age he is in better shape than chuck B today. thats a fact. as far as jordan. to lavar's point. jordan isnt quick anymore. so he will have to make all of his jumpers. if he bricks one. thats it. lavar can back mike down every single time. its one thing for jordan to guard other sg's or sf's in the post. but you aint guarding a guy lavar's size in the post. not happening. he's too heavy and too strong. again i've seen lavar in person back in the day and he, his father, his twin brothers were all weight lifting like mad men. they were also big guys on the weights. that has never stopped. so odds are he's wayyyy stronger than jordan. yes, thats possible for someone to be stronger than the great one.

You dont need a thousand moves in a 1 on 1 game. if you can just back someone down and toss it off the backboard. remember we're talking about old man mike. not wizards jordan, not chi town jordan. but old man mike. but lets say we were talking young man mike and young man lavar. the same thing applies. if lavar gets the ball first. he's going to back him down at will. now if lavar blows a point blank layup shame on em and he deserves to lose which he would because a prime mike probably wouldnt miss. lol.

the problem is most of this talk is tongue and cheek. just because he got loud about it and said it with confidence you guys thought he was serious about it. when he was joking around running his yap. dont take silly talk seriously. laugh at it. and move on.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
I like iconoclastic people, but I think LaVar Ball is an idiot. I respect the what, but not the how. It's one thing to do what Richard Williams did with a couple of dominant children in an individual sport, and quite another to do it in the NBA.
sure. but is it impossible to pull it off in the nba? we shall see. what other parent has 3 balling kids at the top of their games? non that i know of. at least not yet. not that we've heard of. aside from these ball bros. so give him his credit thus far. right now he's done it right. lets see if the other 2 can survive college. one and done or 4 year graduates. lets see if they can make it to the league along with the big brother and still ball out. lets see if lonzo can be himself in the nba and elevate his nba team. i can't assume these things WONT happen. because all we have right now is stats that show they probably will since these kids are really really good at basketball at this point in their careers. anyone doubting them is doing so in their feelings not using actual proof. get out of your feelings and wait and see.

I'll be surprised if either of the other kids are significant pro prospects. LiAngelo's only going to UCLA because he was part of a package deal with his brothers, and LaMelo is in the 15-20 range in the '19 class. They aren't Venus & Serena.

LaMelo's opportunity to boost his rep will come on the AAU circuit this Spring & Summer. That's a lot more important than the High School games.
we dont know if they will turn into venus/serena or something close to that later in life.

again steph curry was not venue nor serena in high school. he was good. but not davidson good. he was good but not today 2 time mvp good.

he didnt even pass the eye test in high school for most people. i knew he was going to be a great scorer because i could see ELITE grown man footwork or better yet NBA level footwork. That always separates the men from the boys at the next level, athleticism/size or not. if you have the footwork and a few other skills. skies the limit for you.

you show me a guy in the nba with elite footwork and I'll show you an MVP candidate. does the young ball bro have that kind of footwork? maybe. havent paid that much attention to him yet. we'll see come ucla time assuming he stays healthy and still loves the game. he's a kid for all we know he could wake up one day and say i want to become a doctor.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Theres video of Lavar Ball getting wrecked in a rec league game.....sorry, he still couldn't beat fat Chuck or fat MJ smoking cigars even today. Even worst is that those dudes have muscle memory from shooting all their time in the league so they wouldn't even sweat it against Lavar. Don't forget Lavar wouldn't be able to run circles around them either, he's not exactly in the best of shape either.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Tiger Woods
Venus and Serena Williams
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Michael Jordan

I keep seeing these and similar names. Let's be abundantly clear about something: none of these Ball kids have shown the slightest indication that they might rise to the level of the aforementioned ... and I've seen nothing from any of them to suggest a trajectory within a country mile of those who've come before them.

The bottom line is that LaVar is just a boorish douchebag ... if I owned a franchise today, I would hope my basketball operations group would reach the swift conclusion that Lonzo isn't anywhere near good enough to offset the (bleep) factor his dad cannot stop himself from bringing to the party. Period, full stop.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Theres video of Lavar Ball getting wrecked in a rec league game.....sorry, he still couldn't beat fat Chuck or fat MJ smoking cigars even today. Even worst is that those dudes have muscle memory from shooting all their time in the league so they wouldn't even sweat it against Lavar. Don't forget Lavar wouldn't be able to run circles around them either, he's not exactly in the best of shape either.
rec league = 5 v 5.

even lavar admitted to this. 5 v 5 is different.

one on one is you and the other person. no refs to bail anyone out. if you have a post player that can just back you down at will and make a layup. the game is over before it starts if that person ends up with the ball first or you miss a shot. especially if the post player is much much larger/stronger than you.

its the same reason kobe use to tail those Pg's that would always talk reckless about how they could beat him one v one. that it wasnt happening. he would just post the guys up every single time. forget all the cute stuff. I'm 6'6, you're 6'2. its over. back down..back down. back down. game over.

charles would have a heart attack trying to play today. thats a fact.

but again. you're still stuck on his jokes and not listening to the real things he said.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
rec league = 5 v 5.

one on one is you and the other person. no refs to bail anyone out. if you have a post player that can just back you down at will and make a layup. the game is over before it starts if that person ends up with the ball first or you miss a shot. especially if the post player is much much larger/stronger than you.

its the same reason kobe use to tail those Pg's that would always talk reckless about how they could beat him one v one. that it wasnt happening. he would just post the guys up every single time. forget all the cute stuff. I'm 6'6, you're 6'2. its over. back down..back down. back down. game over.

but again. you're still stuck on his jokes and not listening to the real things he said.

You're really trying to argue Lavar Ball stands a chance in a game of one on one against Michael Jordan and/or Charles Barkley? The only person who actually believes that is Lavar Ball
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
rec league = 5 v 5.

You're really trying to argue Lavar Ball stands a chance in a game of one on one against Michael Jordan and/or Charles Barkley? The only person who actually believes that is Lavar Ball

TOday? HECK yeah. so do a lot of people. TODAY.

charles hasnt touched a ball outside of standing around with it in who knows how long. charles can barely walk or i should say waddle.

jordan as great as he was is old now, super slow, and was never strong enough to stop someone close to 300lbs from backing him down. this aint 5 v 5. this would be a slo motion old man show. and the backdown would win that show pretty much every time.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
rec league = 5 v 5.

I thought I had seen it all on the internet. But a die hard LaVar Ball superfan? Everyone is a hero to someone I suppose.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Maybe he IS Lavar?
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Maybe he IS Lavar?

If Lavar were on LG, I could 100% guarantee you his username would be some iteration of "BigBaller"
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
Maybe he IS Lavar?

If Lavar were on LG, I could 100% guarantee you his username would be some iteration of "BigBaller"
iteration? lol. it would be bigballerbrand. you already know this.

it's funny what most people who dont pay attention to detail on what someone has said thinks about what the person says. "what...he's crazy."

is he really? someone talking about a bunch of old geezers. thats like someone saying "i bet you i can beat Ali" before he past away in his old feeble age. of course they could. dont get stuck in the idea of the person's prime years. beer gut MJ aint AIR jordan anymore. and even if he still can get up. that landing will be hell on his knees and feet/achilles/ankles. barkely's game was based on bully ball but also his crazy hops for a guy his weight. we know chuck today can't jump over a loaf of bread and can barely walk up to the desk with kenny and shaq.

lavar by no means is a spring chicken but he's younger than those two. 48 is a LONGGG way from 54. especially if the 54 is out of shape.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
Tiger Woods
Venus and Serena Williams
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Michael Jordan

I keep seeing these and similar names. Let's be abundantly clear about something: none of these Ball kids have shown the slightest indication that they might rise to the level of the aforementioned ... and I've seen nothing from any of them to suggest a trajectory within a country mile of those who've come before them.

The bottom line is that LaVar is just a boorish douchebag ... if I owned a franchise today, I would hope my basketball operations group would reach the swift conclusion that Lonzo isn't anywhere near good enough to offset the (bleep) factor his dad cannot stop himself from bringing to the party. Period, full stop.

jordan didnt even make the varsity team at first. stop it.. did 12th grade mike drop 70 points? not sure. how's about 90+ points? i dont ever recall hearing about that

kobe bryant came into the league behind eddie jones.kobe was a star at lower m. did kobe ever drop 70 in high school? perhaps. 90? not that i know of?

the ball kids have done that before. the youngest ball was on varsity as a sophmore. he's avg close to 27 ppg. while he's playing with another guy dropping 30 and change per game. that other guy is his older bro. Sorry these ball kids are special. they are already showing it. saying otherwise is hate for lavar misdirected at his kids. dont do that. now does this mean any of them will become a great? nope. but it does mean they have more of a chance to pan out that way then pretty much anyone else.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject:

Just realized splashmtn=postnpivot....I'm dead....
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Oh well that sure makes a lot of sense.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

that explains the sense of familiarity, yet i never put it together.. well done.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

that explains the sense of familiarity, yet i never put it together.. well done.

gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

PnP, welcome back!

Bye.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
If Lonzo and/or his brothers are as good as hyped, Nike, UA, Adidas, etc., will be kicking themselves.

People whined about Richard Williams (Venus and Serena's dad) - they are worth a combined $225 million bucks.

People whined about Matthew Knowles (Beyonce's dad) - she's the biggest female star on the planet.

People whined about Joe Jackson (Michael's dad) - his kids are screwed up in the head . . . but most of them are rich-to-filthy-rich.

The "system" is intimidated by a-hole black dads - they want them to be like Earl Woods (Tiger's dad) - but some of them have been very effective.

LaVar may know what he's doing.

The problem with that comparison is that Lavar Ball will probably have to start his own brand or partner with a Chinese shoe company at this point. A Chinese shoe company will not give him anywhere close to the share of profits that a company like Nike, UA , Addidas will.

I disagree - they will probably give a lower (or no) guaranteed payout, but their equity stake will likely be much. much higher. If the shoes sell, they will make a LOT more money than in a traditional deal.

For the foreign company, their upside is that if LaVar, et. al., take off, they will get major penetration and legitimacy in the US sports apparel market (45 notwithstanding).
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

wait so i was crazy for defending lavar.
then i became lavar
now i'm postnpivot.
who will i be after this post?
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Oooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
K2 wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Well done indeed.

Tell us, could you take Kobe in a game of one on one?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13
Jump to: