Exceptions next year?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
Current cap projection is $101M.

Non-taxpayer MLE will be $8,406,000
Room exception will be $4,328,000
Bi-Annual exception will be $3,290,000

The Lakers' cap room will depend on what happens with their own pick, and Black & Young (and to a small extent, Nwaba). If they keep Black & Nwaba, and Young opts in, and they get the #1 pick, then their team salary is $91,704,624 and they have $9,295,376 in cap room. They could go either direction here -- they can waive their mid-level & bi-annual and use the room, then they'd get the Room exception to spend, for a total of $13,623,376. Or they could spend the non-tax MLE and BAE, for a total of $11,696,000 (plus keep Bird rights to Ennis & Robinson, if they want).

On the other extreme, if they waive Black before his salary guarantees, waive Nwaba, Young opts out, and they lose their pick to Philly, they'd have a team salary of $73,511,374, giving them cap room of $27,511,374.

Note that this is above the 0-6 year max, but prime free agents who qualify for this max are typically restricted. The 7-9 year max will be about $30,300,000 (this is the range that Blake Griffin will be in, for example), and the Lakers will be short -- even in the "best" case scenario where they lose their pick & Black. The 10+ year max will be about $35,350,000, and the Lakers will be well short.

And just to give a middle scenario, let's say the Lakers get the #2 pick, lose Black & Young, and keep Nwaba. They'd be at $81,087,797, with $19,912,203 -- enough for an average-to-good starter.

One other point to make is that the Lakers COULD choose to waive & stretch Deng if a star player wants to come here and the team needs the cap space. Doing so would add $9,475,714 to their cap space this year, at the cost of $7,714,286 being dead weight on their payroll for the next seven years.

These exact numbers are a little depressing. Also goes to show the impact of those MozDeng contracts, with the loss of flexibility, even though people will still defend them. The projected cap going from 108M to 101M didn't help either.

20M might not be enough to even get a guy like Ibaka or Jrue. Makes my preference of punting more realistic IMO. Find 2 good players on 1y/10M deals and try to find a steal with the room exception. Seth Curry, Waiters, Dedmon, James Johnson all signed deals around 3-4M last year.

We will get someone. despite cap limits, I have big faith in Magic and Pelinka working there game.

I a weary of signing big FA contracts, look how Mozdeng turned out. I like our team as it is. It would be nice to add some other younger cheap contracts, but I don't want to max out a guy like Ibaka or Jrue.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Read on RealGM that besides the room exception, we will have the biannual exception...that would give us extra flexibility to work with if it's indeed true.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
Current cap projection is $101M.

Non-taxpayer MLE will be $8,406,000
Room exception will be $4,328,000
Bi-Annual exception will be $3,290,000

The Lakers' cap room will depend on what happens with their own pick, and Black & Young (and to a small extent, Nwaba). If they keep Black & Nwaba, and Young opts in, and they get the #1 pick, then their team salary is $91,704,624 and they have $9,295,376 in cap room. They could go either direction here -- they can waive their mid-level & bi-annual and use the room, then they'd get the Room exception to spend, for a total of $13,623,376. Or they could spend the non-tax MLE and BAE, for a total of $11,696,000 (plus keep Bird rights to Ennis & Robinson, if they want).

On the other extreme, if they waive Black before his salary guarantees, waive Nwaba, Young opts out, and they lose their pick to Philly, they'd have a team salary of $73,511,374, giving them cap room of $27,511,374.

Note that this is above the 0-6 year max, but prime free agents who qualify for this max are typically restricted. The 7-9 year max will be about $30,300,000 (this is the range that Blake Griffin will be in, for example), and the Lakers will be short -- even in the "best" case scenario where they lose their pick & Black. The 10+ year max will be about $35,350,000, and the Lakers will be well short.

And just to give a middle scenario, let's say the Lakers get the #2 pick, lose Black & Young, and keep Nwaba. They'd be at $81,087,797, with $19,912,203 -- enough for an average-to-good starter.

One other point to make is that the Lakers COULD choose to waive & stretch Deng if a star player wants to come here and the team needs the cap space. Doing so would add $9,475,714 to their cap space this year, at the cost of $7,714,286 being dead weight on their payroll for the next seven years.

These exact numbers are a little depressing. Also goes to show the impact of those MozDeng contracts, with the loss of flexibility, even though people will still defend them. The projected cap going from 108M to 101M didn't help either.

20M might not be enough to even get a guy like Ibaka or Jrue. Makes my preference of punting more realistic IMO. Find 2 good players on 1y/10M deals and try to find a steal with the room exception. Seth Curry, Waiters, Dedmon, James Johnson all signed deals around 3-4M last year.

We will get someone. despite cap limits, I have big faith in Magic and Pelinka working there game.

I a weary of signing big FA contracts, look how Mozdeng turned out. I like our team as it is. It would be nice to add some other younger cheap contracts, but I don't want to max out a guy like Ibaka or Jrue.

I share the same sentiment. We already made that mistake with MozDeng. I feel like Ibaka/Jrue can help but will not make a big diffference. Overpaying one of them and we will not have a cap room for a real game changer. So PASS.
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Ask me again after we find out whether or not we're keeping our draft pick.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Read on RealGM that besides the room exception, we will have the biannual exception...that would give us extra flexibility to work with if it's indeed true.

Quote:

Bi-annual Exception
For the 2017-18 Salary Cap $3.290 million

Likely to be a deep bench player at that salary level.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Quote:

Bi-annual Exception
For the 2017-18 Salary Cap $3.290 million

Likely to be a deep bench player at that salary level.

A lot of GEMs last off season were signed in that same amount.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject:

You can't use the bi-annual exception in any year you use cap space (and thus have a room exception).
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
You can't use the bi-annual exception in any year you use cap space (and thus have a room exception).

I had a hunch about that, but wasn't interested in doing even more fact checking on what he posts.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Thanks for the correction, looks like the poster on RealGM got it wrong.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Thanks for the correction, looks like the poster on RealGM got it wrong.

Learn how to fish.

Links to 2017 and 2011 CBA.

CBA
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: