North Korea threatens nuclear attack on US west coast.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject:

If someone threatens to kill a government official, a policemen or an even average Joe, they are typically dealt with.

It doesn't matter if they didn't have the capability (like a weapon) at the time of the threat, what matters is the threat itself and that persons' ability to follow through with the threat (such as to get gun)...

Fat Bot has threatened extreme violence and death upon US citizens and to NOT do anything because he does NOT YET have the ability to follow through with his threat is regoddamndiculous!

Especially when we know he is working on developing his nuclear weapons and once he does it will be too late...!

Also: it makes no sense to wipe out the North Korean civilization, when there is one lone turd making all the calls. We need to take him out, period, end of story!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
If someone threatens to kill a government official, a policemen or an even average Joe, they are typically dealt with.

It doesn't matter if they didn't have the capability (like a weapon) at the time of the threat, what matters is the threat itself and that persons' ability to follow through with the threat (such as to get gun)...

Fat Bot has threatened extreme violence and death upon US citizens and to NOT do anything because he does NOT YET have the ability to follow through with his threat is regoddamndiculous!

Especially when we know he is working on developing his nuclear weapons and once he does it will be too late...!

Also: it makes no sense to wipe out the North Korean civilization, when there is one lone turd making all the calls. We need to take him out, period, end of story!

There's a VAAAAST difference between prosecuting an individual for making threats versus engaging a sovereign nation with an act of war over some saber rattling.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
Just posturing.

If they are stupid enough to try, it will be the end of N.Korea.

It's all bark and saber rattling. The are like Iraq, paper tiger. Quantity but low quality.

Also no point shooting a few missiles if they could , not going to hurt US war engine or infrastructure.

BUT the real threat is selling nuke to terrorists which they could.

Yeah, if they really had the capability to hit the west coast we wouldn't be threatening them with our war talk and positioning of our war ships. I would think we'd be more inclined to deal with them more diplomatically and avoid causing them to make a crazy move.

At least I hope so
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Fallout wrote:
Just posturing.

It's all bark and saber rattling. The are like Iraq, paper tiger. Quantity but low quality.

Also no point shooting a few missiles if they could , not going to hurt US war engine or infrastructure.

Yeah, if they really had the capability to hit the west coast we wouldn't be threatening them with our war talk and positioning of our war ships. I would think we'd be more inclined to deal with them more diplomatically and avoid causing them to make a crazy move.

At least I hope so

I think we would still have our war ships in their seas because we would want them to know we could respond within minutes of an attack. But having our ships in a nuclear ready Korea space is a scary thought.

I think North Korea is sane enough to not attack us.

The best way to defeat them is by collasing their economy or hope the information age causes a uprise within the country. Other than that we pretty much have to ignore them.

Hell them being a nuclear state could solve the issues between our countries but I'm not ready to find out
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Fallout wrote:
Just posturing.

At least I hope so

I think we would still have our war ships in their seas because we would want them to know we could respond within minutes of an attack.

The best way to defeat them is by collasing their economy or hope the information age causes a uprise within the country. Other than that we pretty much have to ignore them.

Question is if they do have the capability to hit the west coast can we prevent them from doing so with our warships? That's the question for the strategists, do we know where they're missiles are?

How do we deal with any country that for sure has nuclear weapons, such as Pakistan or India? We don't antagonize them by sending our Navy to their shores. No US president has sent the Navy to the shores of Leningrad.

My gut says they don't have the capability yet. The US is trying to push N Korea around, maybe into a compromise. And its also Trump strutting around acting tough trying to deflect attention from the spiraling national debt and his waffling on his trade agreement stance.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Fallout wrote:
Just posturing.

At least I hope so

I think we would still have our war ships in their seas because we would want them to know we could respond within minutes of an attack.

Question is if they do have the capability to hit the west coast can we prevent them from doing so with our warships? That's the question for the strategists, do we know where they're missiles are?

How do we deal with any country that for sure has nuclear weapons, such as Pakistan or India? We don't antagonize them by sending our Navy to their shores. No US president has sent the Navy to the shores of Leningrad.

My gut says they don't have the capability yet. The US is trying to push N Korea around, maybe into a compromise. And its also Trump strutting around acting tough trying to deflect attention from the spiraling national debt and his waffling on his trade agreement stance.

But NK is the only state today who does have nukes and is making these threats its a little different than India. You could be right I'm not sure but JFK didnt backed down and I could see most modern Prez's doing the same.

I dont think we could prevent an attack but we could respond really fast
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Norks Successfully Test ICBM

Nikki Haley Addresses UN Council

US Options for Dealing with Norks

(bleep) got real. We got less than two years (18 mos) before they're able to arm a nuclear device small enough to fit in their missile. Confident in Trump? Better hope for your sakes.
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/trumps-korea-policy-is-a-fast-forward-stupider-version-of-bushs
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Forget the partisan elements of this for the moment. Here are the things you need to know:

There really isn't much we can do about North Korea.

We successfully tested an ABM system about a month ago.

No, Russia and China didn't like that very much. There used to be an ABM treaty, but we pulled out during the Dub administration.

But our ABM defense is still a work in progress.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't really matter who is president, North Korea was always intent on getting nuclear weapons. Its been their long term plan since the 1980's.
The problem with anti-ballistic missiles is that all it takes is one failed intercept and you got millions dead.
China and Russia was never going to help the US denuclearize North Korea, they have been supporting that state in one form or another since its beginning. Don't forget North Korea being belligerent also helps their policy goals toward the west.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Well, you can't wait until they develop the capability to hit any major US city; Russia and China aren't going to intervene unless they have something to lose from North Korea's actions or sanctions from the rest of the world. Pulling the US military out of South Korea is a no go. Military intervention, however minimal, seems inevitable.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject:

hate to say but surprise attack maybe something to consider on N Korea. There no doubt the US will crush them but the key is to cripple their ability to roll out artillery shells on S Korea as fast as possible.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
hate to say but surprise attack maybe something to consider on N Korea. There no doubt the US will crush them but the key is to cripple their ability to roll out artillery shells on S Korea as fast as possible.

Not really possible.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject:

This is a rocket

What will it take for them to create a nuclear warhead

How much more weight is added to payload

Do they have re-entry vehicle that can carry warheads?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

What's unknown is whether they've miniaturized a nuclear warhead. I doubt that they've achieved this breakthrough, but that doubt comes with a very important caveat: If they have miniaturized a warhead, I strongly suspect that they've been getting technical assistance from the PRC. There is something very alarming about the speed at which North Korea has been developing its longer-range missiles, and that speed problem isn't reduced by merely throwing more engineers at the problem. I'm sure I'm not the only one with that suspicion, though the US won't air it (at least not yet) as they are still hoping Beijing will reel them in.

They won't. They haven't in the past, and what is curious is that in addition to the breathtaking speed of development, there are plenty of signs of economic assistance from Beijing, in the form of new construction (non-military).

The PRC has three objectives in mind:

1) Reduce the number of refugees crossing from North Korea.

2) Prop up the North Korean state, lest it fall into the hands of South Korea. The last thing Beijing wants is a US ally on its border.

3) Reduce the influence of the US, first on the Asia-Pacific hemisphere, and ultimately on a global level. There is early evidence of the PRC and Russia cooperating to achieve the latter.

ICBM development doesn't reduce the first objective, but it explains non-military assistance. Asking them to tighten the screws on an economic boycott won't work because of that.

The military assistance does explain points 2 & 3. The PRC can use N. Korea as a poker chip, a proxy nuclear power that can threaten the US and US allies with a nuclear strike, all the while giving plausible denial. We've already seen terrified South Koreans protesting the presence of US anti-missile defense systems. I don't blame them, as placement of those anti-missile systems may protect us, not them... and it reduces the threshold in terms of preventing armed conflict. The civilian population of South Korea will take a beating, once that threshold breaks.

We live in dangerous times. I despise Trump, and the fact that he's the one with the ultimate decision scares the hell out of me. I detest the Obama administration for doing nothing, having engaged themselves in wishful thinking that the Chinese were going to work for us, not against us. There were half-right: Beijing could bring Pyongyang to its knees, but they were wrong about Beijing's willingness to do so.

One more disquieting note: North Korea has had weapons and technology exchanges with US-adversaries in the Middle East.

Last edited by angrypuppy on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject:

^^^^

Russia is also a suspect in NK's rapid missile development. With Trump's focusing on China, it has flown under the radar that Russia has been supplying North Korea. Now Putin is trying to force the US into a multilateral deal that would be a first step toward reducing US influence in the region.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject:

North Korea is their first line of defense. Thus the reason why Russia and China would love to empower them against the US.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
North Korea is their first line of defense. Thus the reason why Russia and China would love to empower them against the US.

Is it, really? Nobody's going to be putting boots on the ground for a land war in 2017.

We've been in a trade war with China for quite some time though. NK doesn't fit into that.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject:

This is a problem the US has been wrestling with or at least knew was coming for decades.

Now however, it is becoming quite urgent if the news reports are accurate.

I don't pretend to be well versed enough to know the solution, but I think North Korea should be very careful about stepping any further over the line or it may get ugly.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
This is a problem the US has been wrestling with or at least knew was coming for decades.

Now however, it is becoming quite urgent if the news reports are accurate.

I don't pretend to be well versed enough to know the solution, but I think North Korea should be very careful about stepping any further over the line or it may get ugly.

Actually, it's not N.K. that I am worried about in that regard. At this point we have a President who rivals Kim Jung-un in regards to foolish instability and reckless posturing.

To make matters worse, NK has allies back it in the form of Russia and China. The Trumpster-Fire is kicking his allies to the curb.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: